• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Dude, HUGE thanks!
Was able to cancel the Amazon order without incident, and picked up the last box of M80's from right down the road. Liking them so far, sound great and they feel amazingly sturdy.

nice! i'm loving them so far as well. everything from the design to the packaging to the case just seems premium.

flippedb

Banned
I suck at waiting, they're already bought lol

Thanks for your help, guys, but I'm a fucking impulse buyer. Ended up getting the GR07 BE for $40 less than I expected, so now I have $40 saved for my inevitable X3 purchase.

I suck at waiting, they're already bought lol

Thanks for your help, guys, but I'm a fucking impulse buyer. Ended up getting the GR07 BE for $40 less than I expected, so now I have $40 saved for my inevitable X3 purchase.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680119/sony-xba-h1-and-xba-h3-hybrid-dynamic-and-ba-iem/75#post_9778733

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hps-in-ear-performance/xba-h1

You can still cancel... ;)

Oh and I'm not sure about the T-Peos H100RR, but a few trusted ears have relayed to me that the T-PEOS H-100 are kinda terrible, with some really hollow sounding mids, strident highs and terrible crossover implementations between the Dynamic and BA drivers. The H-200 is supposed to be much better, but at that price you might as well spring for the KEF M200

flippedb

Banned
http://www.head-fi.org/t/680119/sony-xba-h1-and-xba-h3-hybrid-dynamic-and-ba-iem/75#post_9778733

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hps-in-ear-performance/xba-h1

You can still cancel... ;)

Oh and I'm not sure about the T-Peos H100RR, but a few trusted ears have relayed to me that the T-PEOS H-100 are kinda terrible, with some really hollow sounding mids, strident highs and terrible crossover implementations between the Dynamic and BA drivers. The H-200 is supposed to be much better, but at that price you might as well spring for the KEF M200
Shipping becomes an issue here. I paid less than $140 for the GR07 BE, shipping included. Sonys are more expensive and I'd have to add some $35 shipping on top of it. Plus, I'm not a big fan of Sony.

Don't make me doubtful now :( lol

Shipping becomes an issue here. I paid less than $140 for the GR07 BE, shipping included. Sonys are more expensive and I'd have to add some $35 shipping on top of it. Plus, I'm not a big fan of Sony.

Don't make me doubtful now :( lol

Ah, gotcha. In that case, (budget in mind) you probably made the right decision. :)
Now, just don't ever visit this thread again ;)

flippedb

Banned
They left Singapore yesterday and by now, I'm guessing they're already in Canada. I still don't know why are they in Canada, since I live in Guatemala, but oh well.

I'm excited.

Tokubetsu

You have $150.
You already own a pair of Senni 595s and Koss ProDJ 100s.
You listen to a lot of rap, electronic with some metal and rock.
You love the design of the AIAIAI TMA-1s and the Audio Technica ATH-M50s.
You prefer closed.

What would you be looking to buy?

HiResDes

You have $150.
You prefer closed.

If you have an amp M-Audio Q40, if you don't maybe look for some used Sony MDR-1R's on Amazon...Sell your Koss ProDJ 100s and use that extra 50 to spring 200 for a pair of like-new MDR-1Rs

Tokubetsu

If you have an amp M-Audio Q40, if you don't maybe look for some used Sony MDR-1R's on Amazon...Sell your Koss ProDJ 100s and use that extra 50 to spring 200 for a pair of like-new MDR-1Rs

This would be running through my receiver. I do have a little cmoy amp though.

andylsun

You have $150.
You prefer closed.

If you like the sennheisers then HD25-II I

$200 but perhaps sell the Koss. Isn't TMA-1 under $200 thou?

HiResDes

If you like the sennheisers then HD25-II I

$200 but perhaps sell the Koss. Isn't TMA-1 under $200 thou?

I'd definitely cosign the HD25-II recommendation if you can handle on-ear over the TMA-1 and M50.

Another option would be the Creative Aurvana Live if you really want to save money.

I gotta say though when amped the bass on the Q40 is pretty much untouchable at its price range. Not in quantity, but in quality.

Not sure if this is the right thread, buuuuut:

I was wondering what the best recommendation is for a headset around the $150 range that will give me the best sound on a PC/PS3/WiiU/PS4, essentially. Although I am skeptical of 5.1 audio on headphones, I know those have gotten more popular as of late.

I was checking out the Sony Elites, but it seems you can only get 5.1 on the PS3/4 with those, but the addition of wireless is nice; although, I worry about audio quality.

Currently I am using sennheiser HD490s, which are giving me great audio, but I am looking for more "umph."

Is it practically necessary to get some form of amp to get the best of your headphones? It seems to virtualize sound, an amp is the way to go, but it seems like a wire nightmare with the output and inputs.

What say ye, gaf?

EDIT: I guess, something like this? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FKT70O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Lord Phol

I'm kind of exhausted, been reading up alot on headsets, headphones, mixamps and everything in between. Don't feel much wiser, if anything the decision on what to purchase has been made considerably harder.
I think the main problem is that I've been looking for something that can do everything, but I think I'm willing to skip the mic part for now and just focus on getting a pair of good headphones for gaming, music and movie watching.

I could really use some help with this, so first off; I read that you need a motherboard/soundcard that supports Dolby Digital Live for that 7.1 audio when gaming. Does anyone know if this motherboard supports that? It does have an S/PDIF if that means anything. IPMMB-FM (Formosa)

Now for the actual headphones and equipment. I was thinking about getting a 2013 edition Astro Mixamp along with some good headphones for gaming, listening to music and watching movies with. The prices in Sweden are a bit different in the US, but I guess I'm willing to spend about 150-250$ on this. I do not care much for competitive gaming, I rather have good set of phones that really ups the immersion level, and I'm gonna need some bass for my music. I game on a PC and a PS3 and listen to mostly post-core, metal and alt rock but also pop, electro and some techno. From what I've gathered closed headphones seems to be what I want.
I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50, but not sure how well they to do for gaming.

Also know that I'm no audiophile and would rather not purchase a bunch of stuff for the best sound, just enough to get some good sound without too much of a hassle.
The Mixamp solution is a bit on the too much side, but I think it might be worth it for the gaming experience it'll give.
I really don't know where to start, so I'll gladly take any advice you might have for me!

EDIT: After even more researching it seems I either have to choose between good bass or good soundstage. I don't know what to do D:. I need the Bass, but also the soundstage for gaming (I think).

EDIT 2: Okey so the Beyerdynamic DT770 seems to have both good bass and soundstage. Read something about bloated bass, dunnot what that is. This might be just what I'm looking for, though the design is pretty meh.

EDIT 3: I'm just reallly confused on this whole amp, mixamp dolby digital stuff. All I really want is good headphones that'll work for both PS3 and PC.

TLDR:

Budget: 150-250$
Main use: 50% PC & PS3-gaming. 25% music, 25% movies.
Gaming taste: 80% Immersion/atmosphere, 20% Competitive.
Music taste: Mostly Post-Core, Metal and Alt Rock but also Pop, Electronic and some Techno.
Soundcard/Motherboard: IPMMB-FM (Formosa)

Got my Grado GS1000i finally. Running through a Parasound ZDAC via optical from PC right now, will see how that goes. They sound... very nice, but still in the early break-in period.

Need to get a nice stand commensurate with these cans. The Headphile stuff looks made just for them, but it's a little much maybe.

HiResDes

I'm kind of exhausted, been reading up alot on headsets, headphones, mixamps and everything in between. Don't feel much wiser, if anything the decision on what to purchase has been made considerably harder.
I think the main problem is that I've been looking for something that can do everything, but I think I'm willing to skip the mic part for now and just focus on getting a pair of good headphones for gaming, music and movie watching.

I could really use some help with this, so first off; I read that you need a motherboard/soundcard that supports Dolby Digital Live for that 7.1 audio when gaming. Does anyone know if this motherboard supports that? It does have an S/PDIF if that means anything. IPMMB-FM (Formosa)

Now for the actual headphones and equipment. I was thinking about getting a 2013 edition Astro Mixamp along with some good headphones for gaming, listening to music and watching movies with. The prices in Sweden are a bit different in the US, but I guess I'm willing to spend about 150-250$ on this. I do not care much for competitive gaming, I rather have good set of phones that really ups the immersion level, and I'm gonna need some bass for my music. I game on a PC and a PS3 and listen to mostly post-core, metal and alt rock but also pop, electro and some techno. From what I've gathered closed headphones seems to be what I want.
I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50, but not sure how well they to do for gaming.

Also know that I'm no audiophile and would rather not purchase a bunch of stuff for the best sound, just enough to get some good sound without too much of a hassle.
The Mixamp solution is a bit on the too much side, but I think it might be worth it for the gaming experience it'll give.
I really don't know where to start, so I'll gladly take any advice you might have for me!

EDIT: After even more researching it seems I either have to choose between good bass or good soundstage. I don't know what to do D:. I need the Bass, but also the soundstage for gaming (I think).

EDIT 2: Okey so the Beyerdynamic DT770 seems to have both good bass and soundstage. Read something about bloated bass, dunnot what that is. This might be just what I'm looking for, though the design is pretty meh.

EDIT 3: I'm just reallly confused on this whole amp, mixamp dolby digital stuff. All I really want is good headphones that'll work for both PS3 and PC.

TLDR:

Budget: 150-250$
Main use: 50% PC & PS3-gaming. 25% music, 25% movies.
Gaming taste: 80% Immersion/atmosphere, 20% Competitive.
Music taste: Mostly Post-Core, Metal and Alt Rock but also Pop, Electronic and some Techno.
Soundcard/Motherboard: IPMMB-FM (Formosa)

Beyerdynamic DT990 would be excellent, you can get Pro for as low as $159 right now on Amazon in the U.S....But not sure you're going to be able to find the set so cheap in other places.

A cheaper option would be to buy the Somic MH463's and replace the pads with Turtle Beach X12s...Giving you a headphone that competes witth the DT990 for half the price.

...And if you get the Somic's you won't really need an amp.

If you can find the Fidelio X1s definitely go with them over everything, as you won't need an amp with them either and they would be perfect for what you want. Don't buy into the hype about 7.1 surround sound, it's bullshit.

Beyerdynamic DT990 would be excellent, you can get Pro for as low as $159 right now on Amazon in the U.S....But not sure you're going to be able to find the set so cheap in other places.

A cheaper option would be to buy the Somic MH463's and replace the pads with Turtle Beach X12s...Giving you a headphone that competes witth the DT990 for half the price.

If you can find the Fidelio X1s definitely go with them over everything, as you won't need an amp with them either and they would be perfect for what you want. Don't buy into the hype about 7.1 surround sound, it's bullshit.

Those DT990s look sex. Using those on a PC/PS3/Vita/Etc, what type of external amp would you recommend?

Lord Phol

Prices in Sweden are a bit different, for comparison this is what I can get:
DT 990 (Pro 250 Ohm) for about 199$,
DT 770 (Pro 80 Ohm) for about 189$
Fidelio X for about 350$.

Not too interested in the modding solution, too much work for me, but I've read some really interesting impression on those 3.
I'm a bit cautios on the open ones since I've never tried it before and I'm also afraid the Bass won't be enough. If you believe they are suited for my needs though I might just have to give em a spin, will use them at home anyways so leaking shouldn't be a problem.

What's the main difference between the 770 and the 990?
Also how much better is the Fidelio, would it be worth the extra investment?

I don't get why people are focusing on surround sound soundcards so much, the first thing you should be worried about is the headphones themselves.

Well I've just heard it enhances the gaming experience and thought it would be sweet to try out. But you might be right, I don't even have good stereo sound atm (crappy tv speakers) so perhaps some really good phones will do the trick by themselves.
I will need something to be able to use them for the PS3 though, right? Or maybe I could just get a pair of sony pulse or something for that later on.

Prices in Sweden are a bit different, for comparison this is what I can get:
DT 990 (Pro 250 Ohm) for about 199$,
DT 770 (Pro 80 Ohm) for about 189$
Fidelio X for about 350$.

Not too interested in the modding solution, too much work for me, but I read some really interesting impression on those 3.
I'm a bit cautios on the open ones since I've never tried it before and I'm also afraid the Bass won't be enough. If you believe they are suited for my needs though I migh just have to give em a spin, will use them at home anyways so leaking shouldn't be a problem.

What's the main difference bweteen the 770 and the 990?
Also how much better is the Fidelio, would it be worth the extra investment?

Well I've just heard it enhances the gaming experience and thought it would be sweet to try out. But you might be right, I don't even have good stereo sound atm (crappy tv speakers) so perhaps some really good phones will do the trick by themselves.
I will need something to be able to use them for the PS3 though, right? Or maybe I could just get a pair of sony pulse or something for that later on.

Ya, i've been looking at the pulse too, but i *believe* you'll only get surround sound on a PS3/4 (someone correct me if I am wrong).

HiResDes

I only recommended open headphones that I knew would satisfy your bass needs...As a former DT770 owner, I can stake that besides from the comfort and the exaggerated mid-bass hump the cans are vastly overrated. I think the DT990 would serve you a lot better, especially for gaming.

The Astro Mixamp and Asus Xonar cards are cheap options that provide the elevated soundstage that a lot of gamers love.

External amps are a bit more costly, but I like the Aune T1, JDS 02, and HIfiman EF2A the best in the sub $200 range.

...To the other guy, if you can get the Fidelio X1 at a decent price check those out as they sound better unamped and will provide an elevated soundstage without the need of an external amps.

Lord Phol

Ya, i've been looking at the pulse too, but i *believe* you'll only get surround sound on a PS3/4 (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Yup, it's even in the official FAQ, though I heard the surround isn't all that awesome anyways compared to other solutions.

I only recommended open headphones that I knew would satisfy your bass needs...As a former DT770 owner, I can stake that besides from the comfort and the exaggerated mid-bass hump the cans are vastly overrated. I think the DT990 would serve you a lot better, especially for gaming.

The Astro Mixamp and Asus Xonar cards are cheap options that provide the elevated soundstage that a lot of gamers love.

External amps are a bit more costly, but I like the Aune T1, JDS 02, and HIfiman EF2A the best in the sub $200 range.

...To the other guy, if you can get the Fidelio X1 at a decent price check those out as they sound better unamped and will provide an elevated soundstage without the need of an external amps.

All right cool, gonna check around a bit and see if I can find any better price for the Fidelio X but otherwise I'll probably get the DT 990s.

terrible

Banned
I can't imagine needing more bass than the DT990 Pros provide. The bass is bordering on excessive almost, though I really like that about them. The soundstage is also enormous with them.

I originally used them with just a Xonar DG and they sounded good I thought. Now I have an amp and they sound maybe a bit better though it's not a dramatic difference. More controlled bass and they're a bit less sibilant even though my amp is bright (Aune T1).

iqubal

Banned
I got a pair of mint beyerdynamic dt770 (250 ohm) today for a sweet sweet deal. Barely used.

But I was planning on using them for my phone and ps vita. Now I'm deciding if I should just sell them and get a new pair of headphones or get a portable amp? I'm a noob with headphones and didn't realize these high impedance ones need boosting.

Dang it!

Edit: Sorry if this is against the rules, but anyone have headphones to trade for it? Would need to be in great condition and on par etc. I'm in canada btw. Sorry if this is agains the rules once again.

HiResDes

Why are you using massive headphones on portable sources anyway?...Why wouldn't you get something lighter and more portable with a smaller impedance...Do people not read the OP???...Anyway yes trade them and cop some V-Moda M80s or Sennheiser HD-25s instead.

iqubal

Banned
Why are you using massive headphones on portable sources anyway?...Why wouldn't you get something lighter and more portable with a smaller impedance...Do people not read the OP???...Anyway yes trade them and cop some V-Moda M80s or Sennheiser HD-25s instead.

I just bought them as an impulse lol. Thanks for the info. Will get on that asap!

Lord Phol

I can't imagine needing more bass than the DT990 Pros provide. The bass is bordering on excessive almost, though I really like that about them. The soundstage is also enormous with them.

I originally used them with just a Xonar DG and they sounded good I thought. Now I have an amp and they sound maybe a bit better though it's not a dramatic difference. More controlled bass and they're a bit less sibilant even though my amp is bright (Aune T1).

Nice! How do you feel about the treble? Heard reports that it can be almost too much for some people, like on the edge of actually hurting.

Addnan

Hey guys, last year I bought A161p based on recommendation in here. They are great, but I really prefer having over head headphones now. Have been using a cheap pair of Sony mdr-v55 which have been decent enough, but I just need something better. They have a little crack and sound with a pair of gaming headset (Sony Pulse) sound better with my phone :/

Anyway, similar budget again, £100, running off a HTC One. Needs to be closed as I will be using them outside/at university. I listen to Metal, that's about it. If it's possible I would like multiple recommendations as finding stock at a reasonable price can be a little annoying here (UK).

I was looking at the AKG K551, they are just out of budget, but I can stretch to it if they are worth it. Would they even run off a phone? Would they be good for metal?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, the K551 runs great off the phone.

Also its perfectly fine for metal, but its hard to guage what you want out of your cans for metal. It's probably the best phone I've listened too in terms of rendering guitar tones though, compared to the alessandro MS1, Sennheiser HD251-II and the brainwavz M3 in terms of stuff I've owned.The mids and highs really render those guitar tones beautifully.

I'd say that it doesn't have the same in-your-face attack of the HD251-II, but I dunno, you might not like you headphones to be too forward.

Just to give you an idea of what my preferences in metal are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk_gIOSHviA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_09IAg12q8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVMfISO9T1Q

HiResDes

Yeah doesn't seem like a bad choice at all, I'd also like to throw the KEF M500 in the discussion if you can find them anywhere near close to your budget...I'm super surprised the K551 only cost a litttle over a 100 euros now!

Addnan

Yeah, the K551 runs great off the phone.

Also its perfectly fine for metal, but its hard to guage what you want out of your cans for metal. It's probably the best phone I've listened too in terms of rendering guitar tones though, compared to the alessandro MS1, Sennheiser HD251-II and the brainwavz M3 in terms of stuff I've owned.The mids and highs really render those guitar tones beautifully.

I'd say that it doesn't have the same in-your-face attack of the HD251-II, but I dunno, you might not like you headphones to be too forward.

Just to give you an idea of what my preferences in metal are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk_gIOSHviA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_09IAg12q8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVMfISO9T1Q
Guess we have similar taste, I am literally right now listening to Cynic :p
Yeah doesn't seem like a bad choice at all, I'd also like to throw the KEF M500 in the discussion if you can find them anywhere near close to your budget...I'm super surprised the K551 only cost a litttle over a 100 euros now!
K551 is £130 at Amazon the KEF M500 is way over budget unfortunately.

Thank you both. I will order them!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also I've gotta say, if you plan to wear them out often on your neck, while it's not exactly super inconveniencing, it's not exactly super comfortable either. I got used to it though.

The HD251-II is also another good pair of cans for metal I feel. Isolation-wise and portability-wise I have to say the HD251-II are better but the K551 are still more refined than them in terms of sound. You might find the HD25-11 forward aggressive sound fun though.

The K551 is way more comfortable though.

Also the K551 does have some sealing issues with small heads, but I haven't had trouble with mine.

terrible

Banned
Nice! How do you feel about the treble? Heard reports that it can be almost too much for some people, like on the edge of actually hurting.

The treble is pretty high but it's not an issue for me most of the time. There are some recordings that tend to get annoying with the sibilant "sssssss" sound but you can use an equalizer to tame that if it bothers you.

With games I've never had a problem. If anything the treble just adds more detail making footsteps and such easier to pinpoint.

Addnan

Also I've gotta say, if you plan to wear them out often on your neck, while it's not exactly super inconveniencing, it's not exactly super comfortable either. I got used to it though.

The HD251-II is also another good pair of cans for metal I feel. Isolation-wise and portability-wise I have to say the HD251-II are better but the K551 are still more refined than them in terms of sound. You might find the HD25-11 forward aggressive sound fun though.

The K551 is way more comfortable though.

Also the K551 does have some sealing issues with small heads, but I haven't had trouble with mine.

That shouldn't be a problem, rarely leave it around my neck and the seal hopefully isn't a problem. My head isn't small.

The HD251-II is a little too expensive over here.

Now to hope it stays at 130 for 13 more days. It has been at that price since June, so I am hopeful it won't suddenly change. Have to wait for some spare money :(. I blame Rockstar.

So... according to the very knowledgeable TomScy, that Vsonic K3K clone may never be happening due to Astrotrc filing a patent in China on a BA/DD hybrid configuration. Hilarious, considering that Astrotec has basically ripped AKG wholesale with their AX60.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681403/astrotec-ax60-thoughts-and-prospective-tour#post_9800788

Thinkin of hopping aboard the tour myself, but not sure if time permits. I guess on the other hand, I feel vindicated now that Tom and James have chimed in on asserting what I've personally felt while listenin to the K3K: "it's the best implementation of the TWFK to date." How you like them apples Tralucent ? :D

pax217

Hey all,

So I've quit working for a bit-- going to pursue some personal interests. During this time, I think I am going to build a headphone amp.

What features/aspects (do you think) make a good one?

HiResDes

So... according to the very knowledgeable TomScy, that Vsonic K3K clone may never be happening due to Astrotrc filing a patent in China on a BA/DD hybrid configuration. Hilarious, considering that Astrotec has basically ripped AKG wholesale with their AX60.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681403/astrotec-ax60-thoughts-and-prospective-tour#post_9800788

Thinkin of hopping aboard the tour myself, but not sure if time permits. I guess on the other hand, I feel vindicated now that Tom and James have chimed in on asserting what I've personally felt while listenin to the K3K: "it's the best implementation of the TWFK to date." How you like them apples Tralucent ? :D
THAT'S BULLSHIT!

Lord Phol

Found another guy in Sweden over at the Head-Fi forums who will sell his fairly new, barely used Fidelio X1 to me for about $215. Can pick-em up tomorrow. Think I'm gonna bite, considering a pair of new ones are $350 here. Pretty excited!

Also ordered a DX clip-on Mic. So now all I need is a mixamp and/or soundcard and I should be set!

The treble is pretty high but it's not an issue for me most of the time. There are some recordings that tend to get annoying with the sibilant "sssssss" sound but you can use an equalizer to tame that if it bothers you.

With games I've never had a problem. If anything the treble just adds more detail making footsteps and such easier to pinpoint.

Thanks for the impression! The DT990 would probably have worked well but I'm gonna go with the Fidelio X1.

Norns

Got my Grado GS1000i finally. Running through a Parasound ZDAC via optical from PC right now, will see how that goes. They sound... very nice, but still in the early break-in period.

Need to get a nice stand commensurate with these cans. The Headphile stuff looks made just for them, but it's a little much maybe.

Mine took about 200+ hours to finally sound right. I left them on while i was at work with white noise playing to speed it up.

Love them.

THAT'S BULLSHIT!

I know. I really wonder how much R&D was sunk into that phone before they had to shelve it... They can still release a DD/BA phone, just not one that's configured the way that Astrotec has got theirs set up (which like I said, is pretty much exactly the same DD in back, BA in front firing into a tube :l ). At this point, I'd be interested in seeing what VSonic could do with planar or microdriver tech if hybrid is off the table.

Anywho, I just came across this just now, as it seems like the VSD1 ain't even the best phone in the cheapo bracket no more. That distinction now belongs to this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680253/brainwavz-delta-iems-new-low-cost-champs

VSD1 quality, with better build at half the price ($20)? Insane. Just crazy what money will get you these days. ShotgunShane has pretty much verified that they are the real deal, and I trust his ears a great deal

Found another guy in Sweden over at the Head-Fi forums who will sell his fairly new, barely used Fidelio X1 to me for about $215. Can pick-em up tomorrow. Think I'm gonna bite, considering a pair of new ones are $350 here. Pretty excited!

Also ordered a DX clip-on Mic. So now all I need is a mixamp and/or soundcard and I should be set!

Thanks for the impression! The DT990 would probably have worked well but I'm gonna go with the Fidelio X1.

I used mine on my Galaxy S2 directly and it still sounded great.

Mine took about 200+ hours to finally sound right. I left them on while i was at work with white noise playing to speed it up.

Love them.

Didn't you just get used to them?

HiResDes

I know. I really wonder how much R&D was sunk into that phone before they had to shelve it... They can still release a DD/BA phone, just not one that's configured the way that Astrotec has got theirs set up (which like I said, is pretty much exactly the same DD in back, BA in front firing into a tube :l ). At this point, I'd be interested in seeing what VSonic could do with planar or microdriver tech if hybrid is off the table.

Anywho, I just came across this just now, as it seems like the VSD1 ain't even the best phone in the cheapo bracket no more. That distinction now belongs to this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680253/brainwavz-delta-iems-new-low-cost-champs

VSD1 quality, with better build at half the price ($20)? Insane. Just crazy what money will get you these days. ShotgunShane has pretty much verified that they are the real deal, and I trust his ears a great deal

I'll order a pair. Gotta compare!

Arkanius

XZqQz6k.jpg

My build for this week. Wish me luck

Lord Phol

I used mine on my Galaxy S2 directly and it still sounded great.

Hah yeah they actually sound better on my Samsung S4 than hooked up to my PC. The crappy computers at work has even better sound than the S4, so my integrated soundcard is really bad. Ordered a cheap Asus DGX card for $36, hopefully that'll make quite a difference.

Top Bottom