• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

The Audio Technica ATH-M50's is currently $120 from http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50 (input code at the top). It's gone as low as $100 from the same place recently, so maybe wait if money is an issue. Here's the Amazon product page for reference: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ULAP4U/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (this one has a straight cable though)
Kirosia?

A test: When I say pretzels, do you have a reaction? Also, do you, or have you ever, referred to yourself in the third person?

terrible

Banned
Just ordered my DT 880 Premium (600 Ohm)
I hope I don't get disappointed. I was too used to my modded PC350 lately...

Whether or not you'll be disappointed depends on what you're looking for with them I guess. If you want highly detailed fairly neutral open headphones you'll probably really like them.

Initially when I got mine I thought they were good but wasn't super impressed. I didn't really realize how much I liked them until I started switching between them and other headphones mid-song as a test.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on them once you've had time to try them out with your favourite music though. I've never listened to PC350s so I'm curious how they compare.

Arkanius

Whether or not you'll be disappointed depends on what you're looking for with them I guess. If you want highly detailed fairly neutral open headphones you'll probably really like them.

Initially when I got mine I thought they were good but wasn't super impressed. I didn't really realize how much I liked them until I started switching between them and other headphones mid-song as a test.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on them once you've had time to try them out with your favourite music though. I've never listened to PC350s so I'm curious how they compare.

I always look for the faithful reproductions of sound, as such, neutral and detailed headphones. Most people prefer "fun" headphones (Amplified bass and highs). My PC350 were neutral, but had a lack of bass, and after the mod, they had to much bass, and now I'm afraid I'm too used to bigger bass.

I think I will strange the new headphones for a few days and then "break them in" my head. I'll post my opinions here when I get them. (Probably next Wednesday).

54-46!

Thanks for the recommendations!

About the O2+ODAC combo, I've noticed that there are a couple of DIY desktop versions out there, does anyone sell complete versions of these?

No, definitely not. you just might have gotten slightly looser bass.
Wait, you don't mean it changed the sound of the headphone permanently? and yeah, bass is where it's been lacking, then again it seems like a common complaint about the hp itself.

I have accidentally put max volume in to the K550 maybe four times from the D1, I hope that didn't do anything.. it will be interesting to hear how they sound once I get a suitable amp for them.

HiResDes

I always look for the faithful reproductions of sound, as such, neutral and detailed headphones. Most people prefer "fun" headphones (Amplified bass and highs). My PC350 were neutral, but had a lack of bass, and after the mod, they had to much bass, and now I'm afraid I'm too used to bigger bass.

I think I will strange the new headphones for a few days and then "break them in" my head. I'll post my opinions here when I get them. (Probably next Wednesday).
I think you might have been better of going with with something like the Fidelio X1 or KEF M500 then if you're worried about the bass not being adequate.

LCfiner

Thanks for the recommendations!

About the O2+ODAC combo, I've noticed that there are a couple of DIY desktop versions out there, does anyone sell complete versions of these?

Wait, you don't mean it changed the sound of the headphone permanently? and yeah, bass is where it's been lacking, then again it seems like a common complaint about the hp itself.

I have accidentally put max volume in to the K550 maybe four times from the D1, I hope that didn't do anything.. it will be interesting to hear how they sound once I get a suitable amp for them.

no. I think you’re a little paranoid about what it could ahve done to your headphones. It didn’t do anything permanent. I mean the headphones would sound slightly different from a source with high out Z and one with low out Z. but nothing is happening permanently to the headphones.

54-46!

no. I think you’re a little paranoid about what it could ahve done to your headphones. It didn’t do anything permanent. I mean the headphones would sound slightly different from a source with high out Z and one with low out Z. but nothing is happening permanently to the headphones.
Well that's a relief, yeah I guess I'm a bit paranoid heh, a result of not being knowledgeable and spending a good deal of money.

Thanks for the info.

Exuro

Apologizes for not following the OP as it's really dense in selection and I had a hard time looking through it. I gave my bother my razer headset which was the only decent headset/phones that I owned and am looking to get a decent pair for around $100(I'd go higher if there was a really good deal going on, preferably through amazon though). I know absolutely nothing about headphones and I don't really have time to do the research so I thought I would ask here for some recommendations. I'f prefer over ear, and anything that can remain comfortable for an extended period of time. It'll primarily be used for my desktop through the motherboard if that matters as well. Thanks.

Exuro

Closed I'm assuming?...Also what kind of music do you favor?
Yeah that's what I'm hoping to get. As for music I like rock but I'll mostly be using it for watching movies and playing games/listening to friends on mumble on the desktop. Not sure if there are specific headphones for those types of applications

HiResDes

Yeah that's what I'm hoping to get. As for music I like rock but I'll mostly be using it for watching movies and playing games/listening to friends on mumble on the desktop. Not sure if there are specific headphones for those types of applications

Yes so you need headphones with a good mid-range and decent treble clarity, bass doesn't have to be too overblown.

I'd go with the HM5 Rebrands

Addnan

Initial impressions suggest I will like these a lot. The packaging was crazy.

sIQHHlul.jpg

Addnan

Loving the sound, they arrived this morning so have been using them since so for about 4 hours. I'm not audio lingo ready so all I can say is everything sounds very clean. The vocals are nice, the guitar sounds great. The bass is not high which I like, but my be a turn off for some.

Visually they look beautiful. all black. It will look a little weird if your head is smaller than average since they are so damn big. As for comfort, wow. Barely notice them when walking around and on the train. Usually my ear would hurt a little or something, but these have been incredible for comfort so far.

Shambles

Looking for a pair of headphones for the wife:

Budget is up to $300, Primary use will be gaming and used when flying. Features in order of priority is comfort, noise cancellation, sound quality. They can have the best sound quality in the world but if they hurt to wear they won't be used at all. We don't fly a lot but when we do it can often be 20 hours of travel around the world and good noise cancellation on these long flights would be absolutely amazing.

I'd also like the set to be wireless (bluetooth). Again if she can get up from the computer and walk around the house without having to take them off, or if she doesn't have to fight wires as she's shuffling through her carry on on flights they will actually get used. Using bluetooth she can connect to her computer, phone, and tablets. When she uses it for gaming I'll have to come up with something to use as a mic. I might get a modmic but that adds a wire, I might also grab a boom mic that just sits on her desk so she can stay wireless.

I've tried the QC15's and found them to be comfortable and although I think my $100 sonys sound better it was a very comfortable balanced sound. Definitely good enough for her. The downside is they are wired. I know they have mics on them as well but I don't know if you can use the mic when attached to a computer, or even an android device. Either way for gaming the mic would be terrible as I'm guessing it would pick up tons of background noise so it's a nice idea but I don't think I'm going to be able to get out of having to have a separate mic and headphone. I know the volume rocker on the wire didn't work with my Nexus.

Are there any notable headphones out there that are aimed at this sort of use case?

HiResDes

Looking for a pair of headphones for the wife:

Budget is up to $300, Primary use will be gaming and used when flying. Features in order of priority is comfort, noise cancellation, sound quality. They can have the best sound quality in the world but if they hurt to wear they won't be used at all. We don't fly a lot but when we do it can often be 20 hours of travel around the world and good noise cancellation on these long flights would be absolutely amazing.

I'd also like the set to be wireless (bluetooth). Again if she can get up from the computer and walk around the house without having to take them off, or if she doesn't have to fight wires as she's shuffling through her carry on on flights they will actually get used. Using bluetooth she can connect to her computer, phone, and tablets. When she uses it for gaming I'll have to come up with something to use as a mic. I might get a modmic but that adds a wire, I might also grab a boom mic that just sits on her desk so she can stay wireless.

I've tried the QC15's and found them to be comfortable and although I think my $100 sonys sound better it was a very comfortable balanced sound. Definitely good enough for her. The downside is they are wired. I know they have mics on them as well but I don't know if you can use the mic when attached to a computer, or even an android device. Either way for gaming the mic would be terrible as I'm guessing it would pick up tons of background noise so it's a nice idea but I don't think I'm going to be able to get out of having to have a separate mic and headphone. I know the volume rocker on the wire didn't work with my Nexus.

Are there any notable headphones out there that are aimed at this sort of use case?

Logitech UE9000

terrible

Banned

They're definitely not bass monsters but I never really find the bass lacking with the DT880s personally. It just sounds *right*. I also have DT990 Pros for when I am in the mood for tons of bass though, mostly movies and games.

Can anyone recommend a good value IEM for under $70? I listen to a lot of different kinds of music but I prefer a detailed sound and good mid-bass. I've had a pair of CX300 and at first I thought they were good until I got a pair of Shure E2C. The Shures sound pretty decent but I really dislike the fit.

HiResDes

Finding headphones that are both noise-cancelling and are wireless is such a huge handicap that the Bose might actually be your best bet...Sorry man, but active noise-cancelling is pretty much shit in general.

Servbot24

Banned
The Basso seems to have a driver flex issue (albiet rare).

Can you comment on the NuForce NE-700?
I used to have these. They broke within a year and they replaced them no questions asked. I was quite satisfied with the sound too. I listened to mainly pop, rap and techno. I can definitely recommend them.

sn00zer

Looking for two sets of headphones
buds for use when im in bed...just more comfortable for me
and a set of USB headphones for general computer use, but also compatible with PS3
only looking to spend around $30 for the nicer headphones...and around $10 for the buds

HiResDes

and a set of USB headphones for general computer use, but also compatible with PS3
only looking to spend around $30 for the nicer headphones...and around $10 for the buds

These Philips are pretty much the best you're gonna get for $10

sn00zer

Any suggestions for $50 headphones?
EDIT: I want to be able to use them on a PS3....are there any good audio jack to USB converters? I imagine the sound quality is dependent on it

HiResDes

So I purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. Would you suggest also purchasing a Head phone amp. If so, which one would be best?

80 OHM?...Yes, you don't need anything fancy. Just an E10 will do even

I just researched and you can just buy a convert for that, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058P0I2C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and if you want a $30 headphone suggestion, just go with these - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MMEI8W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Arkanius

My DT 880 Premium (600 Ohm) just arrived
Holy shit, the difference from my PC350 is FANTASTIC.
Everything sounds so balanced and right. I'm pumping my O2 to 75% volume (without gain) to feed these beasts, but damn, it sounds marvelous!

I didn't have this feeling with my PC350 when I got them first. First set of headphones that I listen to and immediately jump to the conclusion "Yup, they sound good"

http://i.imgur.com/lo3KUmV.jpg

HiResDes

Super jealous of people that are just able to jump right into mid to high tier headphones, I went through countless sets before I found my perfect setup. : P

Arkanius

Super jealous of people that are just able to jump right into mid to high tier headphones, I went through countless sets before I found my perfect setup. : P

The collective thinking of the internet is a marvelous tool. Someone already did all the trial and error for me, somewhere.

Top Bottom