• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

snack

I'm looking for IEMs under the 100 dollar range. Did some searching on the thread and it seems like the Vsonic VSD1 is the best bet?

HiResDes

I have the regular VSD1, but the VSD1S are supposed to have tighter bass and a better midrange, but I heard they aren't as fun so I'd recommend just getting the regular like me.

flippedb

Banned
I didn't know mp4nation gifted either the Branwavz R1 or the M5 with the purchase of a FiiO X3. I also didn't know they had free-worldwide-shipping.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the X3 now. My Clip+ is too old and beat by now.

Mal'ice

Neo Member
064f41c8_20120214_P1000401.jpg

5 Years later, still amazed by this baby. Still works like a charm (1 Cable changed and ear pad change on the way)
I looked it up online and the price is like 100$/150$ MORE then what I pay 5 years ago. Uh, would have thought the price would be lower.

So I'm trying to find a good pair of headphones. I narrowed it down to these 2. I'm not willing to spend any more than 100 bucks. Let me know which one is better and/or if there are better headphones under 100 bucks.

Sennheiser
Klipsch

Naito

Hey GAF, I'd like to get a dedicated headset for my PC: my choice would be either Sennheiser PC 363D or Astro gaming A50.

I've been using the Sennheiser HD 558 until now and have been very satisfied with them: it would feel natural to get the PC 363D
but then I'd love to have wireless capability (actually it's very close to a must) with my gaming headphones so this is why I'm considering the A50.

But I'm not completely certain of this investment: please help :D

Chocobro

Just wanted to drop by to say thanks to HiResDes for recommending me the HiFiMAN RE 400, great IEM that does everything I need it to :)

I've only used it for two months and now the audio is gone in my left ear sometimes and found out the problem is portion of the wire near the jack. I guess there's been a lot of stress on the wire due to bending; it's like a curved shaped jack unlike the ATH-M50s's straight jack. I guess I use my 1 year warranty to get a replacement? :\ I am scared of using it for my commutes now, which was the entire point of buying the IEM.

EDIT: Noticed there's not a lot of activity going on in here :O

This thing here looks super interesting:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680119/sony-xba-h1-and-xba-h3-hybrid-dynamic-and-ba-iem#post_9773438

16 mm full range dynamic, Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragm and two super tweeters. Apparently the guy who worked on the Ex-1000 is behind them. Could be a mess, could be a technical juggernaut for a fair price...

Edit: seems the dynamic is full range, there's an overlapping full range BA, and a separate BA covering super frequencies from 20-40khz (LOL)

squidyj

Fucking hell, this is the worst time for my AD700 to crap out on me, all the costs of starting a new school year and trying to keep some money for a PS4.

I have no idea what to do to try to replace them, also the prices for headphones in Canada seems to be ridiculous compared to south of the border.

I was thinking of switching over to an IEM or at least closed can so I can take them to school with me but I haven't really been keeping up with what's good. I'm thinking maybe I can spend 60 bucks.

terrible

Banned
Hey GAF, I'd like to get a dedicated headset for my PC: my choice would be either Sennheiser PC 363D or Astro gaming A50.

I've been using the Sennheiser HD 558 until now and have been very satisfied with them: it would feel natural to get the PC 363D
but then I'd love to have wireless capability (actually it's very close to a must) with my gaming headphones so this is why I'm considering the A50.

But I'm not completely certain of this investment: please help :D

Your 558s are likely better than either option in all honesty. The A50s other than being wireless will probably sound nowhere near as good as your 558s.

Something like the wireless Astro Mixamp (setup guide here) with your current headphones would give you a semi wireless setup.

Others may have better advice!

Drpunch

Neo Member
Looking for some new IEMs around the $100 price range. I listen to a wide variety of things, mainly hip-hop/rock/electronic music. I've looked at a lot of the suggestions mentioned over the last few pages, mainly the RE-400s, VSonic GR06, MEElectronics A151P, and the VSonic VSD1. I also plan to use these in the gym and for running so I need something that'll last and not be annoying while running. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

squidyj

You should look into the VSonic VSD1. Seems like an amazing phone for the money. I'm also a big fan of the Apple earpod

VSD1 isn't too heavy on the bass? I've always prefered clear mid and high tones which is why i've traditionally gone with open cans for home use but with all of my shit breaking down on me at once (ad700 was just the latest) I want to save money and get something more multipurpose.

Also, I'm not sure where I can get a pair in Canada.

VSD1 isn't too heavy on the bass? I've always prefered clear mid and high tones which is why i've traditionally gone with open cans for home use but with all of my shit breaking down on me at once (ad700 was just the latest) I want to save money and get something more multipurpose.

Also, I'm not sure where I can get a pair in Canada.

I haven't heard the VSD1 myself. I've heard the GR07 mk II though and the VSD1 is alleged to deliver 80% of that phone's SQ I believe. The GR07 isn't overly bassy at all, but I dunno, lookin at the VSD1 thread, people are remarkin upon how bassy it is... so... in that case, I would recommend the Sound Magic E10 as a more balanced good bang for the buck phone:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/581119/review-soundmagic-e10

Or maybe the Fischer Silver Bullet is worth lookin into. I dunno, I don't have much experience with phones in the <$100 range, but I'm sure Des can hook you up. For the price range you're working with though, I'm guessing something armature based is what you need (as pertaining to clear mids/highs), as dynamic drivers in the <$100 don't tend to be particularly well tuned/capable; they err more towards bass performance than anything.

HiResDes

Just wanted to drop by to say thanks to HiResDes for recommending me the HiFiMAN RE 400, great IEM that does everything I need it to :)

I've only used it for two months and now the audio is gone in my left ear sometimes and found out the problem is portion of the wire near the jack. I guess there's been a lot of stress on the wire due to bending; it's like a curved shaped jack unlike the ATH-M50s's straight jack. I guess I use my 1 year warranty to get a replacement? :\ I am scared of using it for my commutes now, which was the entire point of buying the IEM.

EDIT: Noticed there's not a lot of activity going on in here :O

Honestly there seems to be a lot of cable issues with the IEM as good as they sound if you can get a full refund I'd just get the A161P instead.

Fucking hell, this is the worst time for my AD700 to crap out on me, all the costs of starting a new school year and trying to keep some money for a PS4.

I have no idea what to do to try to replace them, also the prices for headphones in Canada seems to be ridiculous compared to south of the border.

I was thinking of switching over to an IEM or at least closed can so I can take them to school with me but I haven't really been keeping up with what's good. I'm thinking maybe I can spend 60 bucks.

Yeah E10 are a good choice or the V-Sonic VC02, which are equally fantastic.
Looking for some new IEMs around the $100 price range. I listen to a wide variety of things, mainly hip-hop/rock/electronic music. I've looked at a lot of the suggestions mentioned over the last few pages, mainly the RE-400s, VSonic GR06, MEElectronics A151P, and the VSonic VSD1. I also plan to use these in the gym and for running so I need something that'll last and not be annoying while running. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

VSD1 for sure, use the ear guides with them and find the right size tips and you should be good to go, the RE400s are incredible sounding but just aren't very durable.

TTOOLL

Gaf, please, recommend me a cheap headphone to use with my guitar amplifier VOX Pathfinder 15r so I can practice in my new apartment.

thank you!

BioHazard

Hey guys, I need some help figuring out a potential headphone setup. I want to get a great pair of headphones for mostly gaming and movie watching at home. I have a Panasaonic plasma television. It has an optical audio out. I I want a pair of headphones that I can use for all my systems (360, PS3, WiiU) future systems, Blu-Rays/DVDs, Netflix etc. I am really interested in the: Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro-250ohm model. I have read that an amp is really recommended/needed for these. I have read good things about the Fiio E11/10. How would I go about connecting my TV to amp to DT990? Or do I need a receiver of some sort?

Chocobro

Honestly there seems to be a lot of cable issues with the IEM as good as they sound if you can get a full refund I'd just get the A161P instead.

Hmm, what are the big differences between the RE-400 and A161P? In terms of SQ and cable quality (specifically near the jack. Is it better than RE-400's?)? As a reminder, I usually listen to K-Pop, classical music, and symphonies.

HiResDes

Hmm, what are the big differences between the RE-400 and A161P? In terms of SQ and cable quality (specifically near the jack. Is it better than RE-400's?)? As a reminder, I usually listen to K-Pop, classical music, and symphonies.

Comparable, but not better, the A161P's midrange is slightly more aggressive and upfront, while the treble is a bit more rolled in comparison to the RE400. The bass is pretty even, though the RE400 sports a wider soundstage and is overall more airy. I don't think the A161P are better sounding, but I think they sound 90% as good while being a bit more durable.

Chocobro

Comparable, but not better, the A161P's midrange is slightly more aggressive and upfront, while the treble is a bit more rolled in comparison to the RE400. The bass is pretty even, though the RE400 sports a wider soundstage and is overall more airy. I don't think the A161P are better sounding, but I think they sound 90% as good while being a bit more durable.

I will definitely keep that in mind. I just had another thought, what if I solved the problem with how the cable area near the jack was positioned? Some pictures:

Left side is how it normally looks like if it's in my pocket (makes me sad the cable has been bent like that during every commute :( ). Lots of stress and bending.
Right side is my proposed idea that will get rid of most, if not all, the stress the cable is experiencing near the jack. It should significantly increase the "life" of the cable.

The adapter I used to connect to the RE-400s is the Y Adapter cable that came with the Astro Mixamp; I might have to look for a similar cable like the TRRS adapter that comes with the A161P. Thoughts?
I wish the RE-400 used the I-plug. I don't have excess income to experiment with recabling.

HiResDes

I will definitely keep that in mind. I just had another thought, what if I solved the problem with how the cable area near the jack was positioned? Some pictures:

Left side is how it normally looks like if it's in my pocket (makes me sad the cable has been bent like that during every commute :( ). Lots of stress and bending.
Right side is my proposed idea that will get rid of most, if not all, the stress the cable is experiencing near the jack. It should significantly increase the "life" of the cable.

The adapter I used to connect to the RE-400s is the Y Adapter cable that came with the Astro Mixamp; I might have to look for a similar cable like the TRRS adapter that comes with the A161P. Thoughts?
I wish the RE-400 used the I-plug. I don't have excess income to experiment with recabling.

Pretty clever.

Arkanius

Guys I'm going to buy the DT 880 Premium, except I have a small problem.
I game a lot, as such, I use the headset for Skype/ingame comunications.
Does anyone know a good desktop Microphone, or should I spend some extra money and buy a Videocalling camera (which brings a Microphone as well)

terrible

Banned
Guys I'm going to buy the DT 880 Premium, except I have a small problem.
I game a lot, as such, I use the headset for Skype/ingame comunications.
Does anyone know a good desktop Microphone, or should I spend some extra money and buy a Videocalling camera (which brings a Microphone as well)

I just use a $2.50 dealextreme.com clip on mic that I attach to the cable. The sound quality isn't going to win any awards but nobody has ever complained about it so it must be acceptable. I also have a cheap zalman clip on mic but I rarely use it since I worry about it hurting the cable.

I bought DT880s (600 ohm) not that long ago myself. They're quite good.

Ludovico

Just lost sound in my fourth set of Senn PX100/200's (over the course of several years).

I'm not sure if I'm overly rough on them, but I listen to music constantly and feel like I've gotten good use out of them.

So now I'm deciding whether I want to simply replace them, or move to something different for the time being.
Budget's between 150-200, and hopefully something I can order from Amazon US.

Not really a big fan of earbuds, but I'm interested in the VSD1's.
As far as headphones are concerned, I definitely want closed, on the ear, and collapsible design.

squidyj

The VSonic VC02s sound right up my alley, I just have to figure out where to get them. As an example of my frustrations with buying headphones in Canada.

US Price 59.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00ATOEKG2/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1378588210&sr=8-1&keywords=vsonic+vc02&condition=new

CA Price 134.99
http://www.amazon.ca/Vsonic-Dynamic-Driver-Noise-Isolation-Headphone/dp/B00DDUY2UI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378588413&sr=8-3&keywords=vsonic

I'm worried about getting screwed over if I buy off of ebay :l
Hmmm, maybe i'll get the VSD1, I can get it shipped.

HiResDes

The VSonic VC02s sound right up my alley, I just have to figure out where to get them. As an example of my frustrations with buying headphones in Canada.

US Price 59.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00ATOEKG2/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1378588210&sr=8-1&keywords=vsonic+vc02&condition=new

CA Price 134.99
http://www.amazon.ca/Vsonic-Dynamic-Driver-Noise-Isolation-Headphone/dp/B00DDUY2UI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378588413&sr=8-3&keywords=vsonic

I'm worried about getting screwed over if I buy off of ebay :l
Hmmm, maybe i'll get the VSD1, I can get it shipped.

Lendmeurears is legit, though they will take a bit longer, but I'm pretty sure they ship to Canada.
Just lost sound in my fourth set of Senn PX100/200's (over the course of several years).

I'm not sure if I'm overly rough on them, but I listen to music constantly and feel like I've gotten good use out of them.

So now I'm deciding whether I want to simply replace them, or move to something different for the time being.
Budget's between 150-200, and hopefully something I can order from Amazon US.

Not really a big fan of earbuds, but I'm interested in the VSD1's.
As far as headphones are concerned, I definitely want closed, on the ear, and collapsible design.

I know you want collapsible but you should really consider the V-Moda M80

TTOOLL

Koss Pro DJ100.

Impossible for me to get one. Living in Brazil I have VERY limited options. Anything from Sony or Phillips is easier to get.

something from here:
http://www.quantastore.com.br/audio/fones-de-ouvido.html

edit:
3 options:

http://www.quantastore.com.br/fone-edifier-h850.html#.UivFOcZ03vY
http://www.quantastore.com.br/fone-sennheiser-hd439.html#.UivFnsZ03vY
http://www.quantastore.com.br/sennheiser-hd-518-west.html#.UivFpsZ03vY

I would go with the HD439 to use with my amp. What do you think?

Ludovico

I know you want collapsible but you should really consider the V-Moda M80

What's the difference between the one you linked and the "true blood" edition?
The second is about 15 bucks cheaper and actually ships from Amazon, I can't see anything else though.

Looks really sick, and there's only one in stock of the one you linked, it's sitting in my cart now.

Edit - Looks like I can save some money by going for the branded version. I know nothing about True Blood, but $15 I can use elsewhere and some sweet red detailing. And ordered, thanks Des!

HiResDes

What's the difference between the one you linked and the "true blood" edition?
The second is about 15 bucks cheaper and actually ships from Amazon, I can't see anything else though.

Looks really sick, and there's only one in stock of the one you linked, it's sitting in my cart now.

Absolutely no difference, just aesthetics, pick whichever is the cheapest.

Impossible for me to get one. Living in Brazil I have VERY limited options. Anything from Sony or Phillips is easier to get.

something from here:
http://www.quantastore.com.br/audio/fones-de-ouvido.html

edit:
3 options:

http://www.quantastore.com.br/fone-edifier-h850.html#.UivFOcZ03vY
http://www.quantastore.com.br/fone-sennheiser-hd439.html#.UivFnsZ03vY
http://www.quantastore.com.br/sennheiser-hd-518-west.html#.UivFpsZ03vY

I would go with the HD439 to use with my amp. What do you think?

Options are scant, yeah I'd just pick a Sennheiser within your range.

flippedb

Banned
Looks like I'm giving in and pulling the trigger on the GR07. The price on lendmeurears is too good to pass on. Now all that's left to decide, is whether I should pick the MKII or the BE.

was able to get the Klipsch S4a's for $40 and the V-Moda M80's for $80 from radioshack.

i'm no big time audiophile, but it's certainly a step up from the MEElectronics M9-BK's and the HD201's i was rocking before.

flippedb

Banned
was able to get the Klipsch S4a's for $40 and the V-Moda M80's for $80 from radioshack.

i'm no big time audiophile, but it's certainly a step up from the MEElectronics M9-BK's and the HD201's i was rocking before.

Those Klipsch were on sale on Amazon last week, I think. I have the original model, but they are way too fragile, really poor build quality, take care of them if you don't want them breaking.

80?!?!

Crap, just ordered mine too....

i got really lucky. i checked their site to see if any were available locally but nothing came up. i happened to be passing by the radioshack at my mall and decide to go in. i see 1 lonely box just hanging there in the back of the store. i had to have em.

Those Klipsch were on sale on Amazon last week, I think. I have the original model, but they are way too fragile, really poor build quality, take care of them if you don't want them breaking.

will do. thanks for the advice.

gave away my older stuff to my younger siblings. maybe it'll open up their minds to other options so they'll stop asking for beats...probably not though :p

flippedb

Banned
BE probs.

See, that's the issue. I don't know if BE would be too bassy and potentially muddy. I love my Klipsch S4, but they are too muddy and I want to go as away from that as possible.

But then again, I do want some bass. My AD900 are the bass lacking ones, I want my IEMs to have enough bass to listen to Michael Jackson.

Now, I hope lendmeurears ships fast. I don't wanna wait over a moth for my Vsonics.

HiResDes

See, that's the issue. I don't know if BE would be too bassy and potentially muddy. I love my Klipsch S4, but they are too muddy and I want to go as away from that as possible.

But then again, I do want some bass. My AD900 are the bass lacking ones, I want my IEMs to have enough bass to listen to Michael Jackson.

Now, I hope lendmeurears ships fast. I don't wanna wait over a moth for my Vsonics.

You might just wanna wait for their new IEMs, or check out the T-Peos H-100RR...I have heard the clarity suffers a bit on the BE.

Ludovico

i got really lucky. i checked their site to see if any were available locally but nothing came up. i happened to be passing by the radioshack at my mall and decide to go in. i see 1 lonely box just hanging there in the back of the store. i had to have em.

Dude, HUGE thanks!
Was able to cancel the Amazon order without incident, and picked up the last box of M80's from right down the road. Liking them so far, sound great and they feel amazingly sturdy.

flippedb

Banned
You might just wanna wait for their new IEMs, or check out the T-Peos H-100RR...I have heard the clarity suffers a bit on the BE.

Waiting was my original plan, but I like the idea of paying $40 less for a product that's highly regarded, anyway.

I'm sitting with the BE on my cart. I think I'm doing it. I read they're not muddy and that the bass bump from the MKII is less than 5dB, which still puts them around 20dB lower than my S4, and 10dB higher than my AD900.

Waiting was my original plan, but I like the idea of paying $40 less for a product that's highly regarded, anyway.

I'm sitting with the BE on my cart. I think I'm doing it. I read they're not muddy and that the bass bump from the MKII is less than 5dB, which still puts them around 20dB lower than my S4, and 10dB higher than my AD900.

I would honestly hold off for the new Sony hybrids coming in about a month. The Sony H1 clocks in at $150, which is only $20 more than the GR07 BE. It's worth it to see whether it'll be a better phone at a comparable price. Early Japanese impression seems good. I'll edit this post with some links in a short while. Kinda busy

Top Bottom