• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Deliverance

Neo Member
Found another guy in Sweden over at the Head-Fi forums who will sell his fairly new, barely used Fidelio X1 to me for about $215. Can pick-em up tomorrow. Think I'm gonna bite, considering a pair of new ones are $350 here. Pretty excited!

Also ordered a DX clip-on Mic. So now all I need is a mixamp and/or soundcard and I should be set!

Thanks for the impression! The DT990 would probably have worked well but I'm gonna go with the Fidelio X1.

I don't know if you already ordered them, but on Amazon's Spanish website they have the Fidelio X1 for 184 euros brand new. I just bought them, and I already got a Q701 this week, damn.

Btw, any recommendations on the amp/DAC? I heard the Schiit Lyr goes extremely well with both of them, and I'm thinking about pairing them with their Bifrost DAC. What do you think?

BioHazard

Posting this again:

Hey guys, I need some help figuring out a potential headphone setup. I want to get a great pair of headphones for mostly gaming and movie watching at home. I have a Panasaonic plasma television. It has an optical audio out. I I want a pair of headphones that I can use for all my systems (360, PS3, WiiU) future systems, Blu-Rays/DVDs, Netflix etc. I am really interested in the: Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro-250ohm model. I have read that an amp is really recommended/needed for these. I have read good things about the Fiio E11/10. How would I go about connecting my TV to amp to DT990? Or do I need a receiver of some sort?

Ordered the Delta, can't wait to compare.

Awesome. The Brainwavz R3 looks super interesting too. It's a dual dynamic with the two drivers facing each other and firing into a pipe, looks extremely similar to the ocharaku flat-4 except I think its just two drivers working in tandem instead of one serving to phase frequencies or whatever.

54-46!

So I've been reading up on DAC / Headphone compatibility and come to the conclusion that my DAC outputs 10 ohm while my headphones are 32 and I've been running em like this for a while now.. I always thought the sound was a bit off but never gave it much thought. Ideally my DAC should output 4 to my cans if I go by the 1/8th rule.

I've been running it like this for a while.. could this have damaged my headphones (a pair of AKG K550)?

The DAC is an Audioengine D1, which I'm also using for my A5+ speakers.

Audioengine's website says "This headphone amp is able to provide low-impedance, high-fidelity audio to a wide range of headphones and supports headphones with impedance as low as 20 ohms." but I don't know how much of that is true.

LCfiner

So I've been reading up on DAC / Headphone compatibility and come to the conclusion that my DAC outputs 10 ohm while my headphones are 32 and I've been running em like this for a while now.. I always thought the sound was a bit off but never gave it much thought. Ideally my DAC should output 4 to my cans if I go by the 1/8th rule.

I've been running it like this for a while.. could this have damaged my headphones (a pair of AKG K550)?

The DAC is an Audioengine D1, which I'm also using for my A5+ speakers.

Audioengine's website says "This headphone amp is able to provide low-impedance, high-fidelity audio to a wide range of headphones and supports headphones with impedance as low as 20 ohms." but I don't know how much of that is true.

No, definitely not. you just might have gotten slightly looser bass.

the thing with dynamic driver headphones is that they’re much less susceptible to sounding really weird with high impedance sources than multiple balanced armature IEMs (think westone 3, or logitech UE900, for example).

the impedance of a dynamic driver is flat across frequencies. with multi BA IEMs, it varies dramatically across frequencies so the higher output impedance source will make them sound much weirder than from a 1 ohm source.

I’ve used dynamic driver headphones and IEMs with high out-Z sources and the difference compared to a reference source is not big at all. But with some of my older multi-BA IEMs, the difference with a high Z source was easily noticeable.

Arkanius

Just finished assembling my O2.
Something is not right, both left and right channel are working properly, but sometimes, it as if something is missing. But damn, can they drive my Headphones, this is solid. 0 noise!

EDIT:

I really think... that now I'm listening to the music as I was supposed to. I was using a very non transparent amplifier, of course everything sounds different now. But I have distortion when I activate the gain with my PC350.

EDIT2:

It was because of the ground from the Input. It was not being done correctly. It's now fixed, everything sounds like it's meant to sound now. Fantastic build.

Hello HeadphoneGAF, I would appreciate some headphone recommendations.

Wants
  • $100 or less
  • Over the ear
  • Closed
  • Collapsible
  • For use with: laptop, TV, and MP3 player
  • Durable enough I can sleep with them on
  • Doesn't need an amp

My current pair is a decrepit Sennheiser HD 212 Pro, so they are my point of reference. A quick search for a new pair found me these.

Thanks.

Wants
  • $100 or less
  • Over the ear
  • Closed
  • Collapsible
  • Doesn't need an amp

My current pair is a decrepit Sennheiser HD 212 Pro, so they are my point of reference. A quick search for a new pair found me these.

Thanks.
These aren't collapsible, but I'd keep an eye on this phone here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the...-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/14385#post_9812355

Seems like a very well made and quality sounding set of phones for the money. The fact that the pads are leather and they feature detachable cables for the price is also pretty impressive

http://rockitsounds.com/shop/product/?prod_id=27

These aren't collapsible, but I'd keep an eye on this phone here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the...-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/14385#post_9812355

Seems like a very well made and quality sounding set of phones for the money. The fact that the pads are leather and they feature detachable cables for the price is also pretty impressive

http://rockitsounds.com/shop/product/?prod_id=27
The official website isn't exactly instilling confidence, especially since you can only buy their products through it. Can't see the cost of shipping or the payment options without making an account. Thanks, though.
Maybe the MDR v6?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001WRSJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They're kind of classics in the recording industry.

The v7506 can be had even cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AJIF4E/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Will look at these. Thanks.

HiResDes

FW also check out the KRK KNS6400 and the Denon HP700 if you can spring like twenty bucks more.

Holy shit, Fischer FA-006s have a rebranded headphone that only $35!....That's going to be your best bet!

Renkforce CD-340

c8fb0b26_305878_RB_00_FB.EPS_250.jpeg
200x200px-LL-0f547586_p_100915_02233.jpeg
250x250px-LL-bbd75b1f_350x350px-LL-82b910a3_006.jpeg

Addnan

I am just about to pull the trigger on those K551 we discussed few days ago, but reading that the mic and controls don't work on android phones. That is weird seeing as the damn apple headphones work on android.

Assuming this is there an advantage over the K550? The latter is a little cheaper.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The K550 comes with a thicker cable but a longer one too. 3m vs the 1.2m of the k551.

Of course, you could always tie the cable up to shorten it. The thicker cable is probably more durable as well.

http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet/

That's about it as far as differences go I think. Plus I think the k550 has the better colour. Black all the way through. Wish the k551 came with such a colour. :(

What would be better for me? The DT770, the DT770pro or the HD595's?

i listen to alot of hip hop, electronic, jazz, acoustic, piano

Is the bass on the HD595 lackluster compared to the DT770 and DT770pros?

thanks in advance.
I've been lurking these threads for well over 2 years, and am finally able to post woo

HiResDes

What would be better for me? The DT770, the DT770pro or the HD595's?

i listen to alot of hip hop, electronic, jazz, acoustic, piano

Is the bass on the HD595 lackluster compared to the DT770 and DT770pros?

thanks in advance.
I've been lurking these threads for well over 2 years, and am finally able to post woo

The DT770's mids are nowhere near as full as the HD595, and the HD595 doesn't have an exaggerated mid-bass like the DT770...I actually think that the Logitech UE600, M-Audio Q40, and Soundmagic HP200 would all be better choices for you. And if you're willing to do a mod the Somic MH463s with Turtle Beach X12 pads.

The DT770's mids are nowhere near as full as the HD595, and the HD595 doesn't have an exaggerated mid-bass like the DT770...I actually think that the Logitech UE600, M-Audio Q40, and Soundmagic HP200 would all be better choices for you. And if you're willing to do a mod the Somic MH463s with Turtle Beach X12 pads.

I'm seeing alot of great things about the soundmagic, and it's at a cheap price.

I'll try em out, thanks HiRes !

Woop, gonna edit this out since I noticed something awry. Anyway, lemme rephrase this post. I'm looking for some headphones, could you guys suggest something for me?

• Comfortable
  • Over-Ear
  • Preferably wireless, but not necessary
  • For composition
  • For listening to music
  • For gaming
  • <$200
I've been using shit Skullcandy headphones for composing and they're quiet and muffled. I'd like something with extremely high audio detail. Apologies if I sound dumb; I know nothing of headphones.

Yay or nay? Sennheiser HD 380 Pro

I think you'll really like them, no problem.

In other news I'd like to discuss a new budget killer:

Pioneer Se-A1000

LL
LL

SE-A100:
LL

Sennheiser HD650:
LL

Yep. Warrenpchi over at HF was bangin on bout that shit a few months back. He was completely sold on them and was trying to spread word or whatever. They were like $40 or $50 at one point, I was gonna jump on them but I was like... Do I REALLY need another pair of phones?

jtb

Banned
I'm totally illiterate when it comes to this stuff. Is there a term for headphones that fit gently on top of the ear rather than completely enveloping it? (Like something... 1" diameter instead of 2", to throw some random numbers out there) I have glasses and while I don't mind it, if there are headphones out there that don't feel like they're going to bend my glasses while I'm using them, it'd be nice to search for those specifically.

I'm totally illiterate when it comes to this stuff. Is there a term for headphones that fit gently on top of the ear rather than completely enveloping it? (Like something... 1" diameter instead of 2", to throw some random numbers out there) I have glasses and while I don't mind it, if there are headphones out there that don't feel like they're going to bend my glasses while I'm using them, it'd be nice to search for those specifically.
You want on-ear headphones, as opposed to over-ear.

HiResDes

Woop, gonna edit this out since I noticed something awry. Anyway, lemme rephrase this post. I'm looking for some headphones, could you guys suggest something for me?

• Comfortable
  • Over-Ear
  • Preferably wireless, but not necessary
  • For composition
  • For listening to music
  • For gaming
  • <$200
I've been using shit Skullcandy headphones for composing and they're quiet and muffled. I'd like something with extremely high audio detail. Apologies if I sound dumb; I know nothing of headphones.

Yay or nay? Sennheiser HD 380 Pro

Yay!

Wichu

My current earphones just broke, so I'm looking for a new set - does anyone have any suggestions? I'm new at this earphone thing :)

• Firstly, I'm in the UK, so UK pricing/availability applies.
  • Looking to get in-ear earphones rather than headphones
  • I'm planning on using them while walking; my pockets are pretty tight, which is what I think killed my current pair (the cord wore out and snapped near the plug) - since there's going to be quite a bit of external noise anyway, I value sturdiness over sound quality
  • Also going to use them with my 3DS (on the train etc)
  • I don't want to spend too much in case they get lost/break, so maximum £30-£40
  • If possible, an iPod-compatible remote
I was considering the Skullcandy Titan 2.0 earphones, but according to some of the reviews they tend to break quite easily... Anyone got any other suggestions, or should I just go with those?

HiResDes

My current earphones just broke, so I'm looking for a new set - does anyone have any suggestions? I'm new at this earphone thing :)

• Firstly, I'm in the UK, so UK pricing/availability applies.
  • Looking to get in-ear earphones rather than headphones
  • I'm planning on using them while walking; my pockets are pretty tight, which is what I think killed my current pair (the cord wore out and snapped near the plug) - since there's going to be quite a bit of external noise anyway, I value sturdiness over sound quality
  • Also going to use them with my 3DS (on the train etc)
  • I don't want to spend too much in case they get lost/break, so maximum £30-£40
  • If possible, an iPod-compatible remote
I was considering the Skullcandy Titan 2.0 earphones, but according to some of the reviews they tend to break quite easily... Anyone got any other suggestions, or should I just go with those?
Don't buy skullcandy IEMs.

...If you're willing to wait a week or so definitely go with these instead - http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-delta-iem-earphones

or if you want something good on Amazon.uk check out these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008K7GB1C/

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Manage to get 4 M-80s for $160. Im done with christmas shopping for the young ones this year and hopefully they will enjoy these durable headphones

54-46!

I'm looking to reset my desktop setup, 4500~ SEK budget for hp, dac and amp.

Preferences;
- Over ear, open.
- Will be used for music and gaming.
- No need for portability.
- Detachable cable, not super important however.

I don't intend on doing any clinical listening, I want it to suit my tastes, which is mostly all forms of rock (but primarily Progressive, Hard), various electronic genres, a little bit of reggae/ska and a little bit of hip-hop.

I was looking at the K702 but they don't seem to go well with the music I listen to?

The HD650 is just outside of my price range if I need to get a decent amp to power them, only problem is I don't care for the design.

For DAC/Amp, O2+ODAC seem to provide the best value.

I guess I could go with the HD598 which seems like a good choice overall, but I want to aim at a tier of phones over that one.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Preferences;
- Over ear, open.

I don't intend on doing any clinical listening, I want it to suit my tastes, which is mostly all forms of rock (but primarily Progressive, Hard), various electronic genres, a little bit of reggae/ska and a little bit of hip-hop.

I was looking at the K702 but they don't seem to go well with the music I listen to?

The HD650 is just outside of my price range if I need to get a decent amp to power them, only problem is I don't care for the design.

I guess I could go with the HD598 which seems like a good choice overall, but I want to aim at a tier of phones over that one.

Maybe look at grado or alessandro headphones? They're generally pretty great for rock music.

Terrible design though (even though I find it charming). Plus I don't like their earpads

HiResDes

Preferences;
- Over ear, open.

DT880 would certainly be a good choice. AKG Q701 would be excellent. The HE400 might be good as well. And you also have some really cheap quality options like the Takstar HI-2050, Pioneer Se-A1000, and Audio Technica ATH-TAD500

komplanen

Noob question time!
I have one pair of headphones but I want to simultaneously listen two two sources. I would prefer to be able to easily adjust both sources' volume (gain?) separately and on-the-fly but that is not required. Is what I'm talking about a mixer? What are my options? Inputs would be most conveniently 3.5mm jacks so I could just take two cables from two headphone-outs and have a mixer(?) in between them mixing them together and I would slide the sliding things up and left and right and w/e to fade more to one or the other?

If the above is too complex:
What I want is to listen to PS4 and PC at the same time from my headphones. PS4 supports optical out or HDMI to my monitor and 3.5mm headphone jack out of monitor. PC supports optical out or headphone out.

For years I've been wanting to listen to a podcast while I play a console game, just like I often do while gaming on my PC where it's just a matter of having two programs open :) I'd love to get this set up for PS4 so I can zone out of boring MP games to the soothing sounds of podcasts or music without completely losing the sound from the match.

So folks, why exactly should I avoid Bose? I've always been happy with Sennheiser, but every time somebody tell me I should buy Bose, why do I usually get mixed response from others?

Maybe this is because I never payed attention to the company. Having said that, my mom has an old Bose Two Speaker+"Subwoofer", and I can't be the only who thinks the Subwoofer is absolutely terrible.

HiResDes

So folks, why exactly should I avoid Bose? I've always been happy with Sennheiser, but every time somebody tell me I should buy Bose, why do I usually get mixed response from others?

Maybe this is because I never payed attention to the company. Having said that, my mom has an old Bose Two Speaker+"Subwoofer", and I can't be the only who thinks the Subwoofer is absolutely terrible.

Bose makes one of the best active noise-cancelling headphones on the market, but active noise-cancelling is rather meh to begin with...Their other offerings range from okay to terrible. It's not rocket science. If a company makes mediocre overpriced headphones then they are not going to be audiophile darlings.

rtcn63

Wants
  • $100 or less
  • Over the ear
  • Closed
  • Collapsible
  • Doesn't need an amp

Thanks.

The Audio Technica ATH-M50's is currently $120 from http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50 (input code at the top). It's gone as low as $100 from the same place recently, so maybe wait if money is an issue. Here's the Amazon product page for reference: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ULAP4U/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (this one has a straight cable though)

Top Bottom