• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes said:
MEET ME SOMEWHERE DREAMS, WITH HEADPHONES ON

baracka3ubt7.gif

see you when the street lights come on.

HiResDes said:
hold on they have a place where they meet up...I want to go with a pair of Bose and Skullcandy just to troll them.
sadly, I have 2 pairs of Bose headphones. life before head-fi and our headphone threads.

:-(

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
hold on they have a place where they meet up...I want to go with a pair of Bose and Skullcandy just to troll them.

:lol

Run that off a high end amp too.

But I think they have random gatherings across the country where you can go and test stuff out.

Oh. Have the Eternas shipped out yet?

ameratsu

This is a great thread. I also enjoyed reading the old 'post your headphones' thread.

I have ATH-ES7s which I use primarily for PC gaming and listening to music. I bought them factory refurbished from Audio Technica and am super impressed with them. I went from Sony MR-300s to these and its such a massive leap in audio quality. I can only imagine what the higher end ATH-ES9Ws are like.

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
Oh shit I had never seen those before they look ridiculously light and portable.

They were definitely posted in the post you headphones before. I think it was even commented about the finger prints on the shiny surface.

HiResDes

Alucrid said:

But I think they have random gatherings across the country where you can go and test stuff out.

I haven't gotten word of anything. About week ago, Dmitry responded and said they were behind and it would be another week or more until they arrived.

swoon

Alucrid said:

yea and they are fun and super awkward as the older folks always get like hooter girls to attend to the door or something. also lots of bad music.

that's how i've heard all the high end amps/phones in conjunction with my gear.

they are really really worth going to regardless of the silliness.

Kukuk

Banned
Just ordered some K601's.

I've had the pleasure of listening to them before, and they were my absolute favorite of all I tried (which included Denon D2000/7000's, HD600's, and K702's).

I'm so damn excited!

RS4-

Ugh, so I have yet to buy any headphones or earphones since my last post, still using the same old lousy iphone ones that came with the phone.

Doing lots of reading on here and head-fi and I've settled on these choices in no particular order, whether it's because of price from local BST forums, overall prices and reviews from you folks:

- aiaia tma-1 (will buy from amazon)
- hd 25-1 ii ($180 local)
- denon d1100 ($110 local)
- bowers & wilkpins p5 ( < 250 local)

In the mean time, I'll probably grab a pair of the MEElectronics M6P's when I don't feel like wearing the above.

Opinions? I'm leaning towards the TMA-1s and I'll probably grab the Fiio e5s while I'm at it.

edit - going to check out the AKG line as well

parasight

Sigh. After just a year my Klipsch S4i have finally broken. It was really my first pair of rather pricey headphones and I expected it to last 2+ years at least. Canadian winters and the shitty cable probably did it in. The left ear is cutting in and out, and it's probably just a matter of time before it craps out completely. No more receipt means my warranty is done.

Any suggestions on something more durable? I need something with iPhone remote/mic and preferably in-ear. I'd like to pay under $150.

HiResDes

Suggestions:

Audeo PFE 122 - They are a little more, but are one of the best in ears under $200, plus they come with a mic/remote

Maybe check out the Klipsch S5I as they are a more rugged version of what you had

Also the new MEElectronic CC51-P's have iPhone controls and it's such a great brand that I'd highly recommend those as well, plus all of the reviews say they're fantastic

parasight

Any chance I could find those at a retailer in Toronto? Or at least a site that doesn't charge and arm and a leg for shipping to Canada?

parasight said:
Any chance I could find those at a retailer in Toronto? Or at least a site that doesn't charge and arm and a leg for shipping to Canada?

MEElectronics ships to Toronto in about 7-10 days, shipping is free

You can also try bay bloor radio for the other brands but good luck finding a good price there

parasight

Great stuff. I hope they restock that model soon then, so I can order me some new headphones. Hopefully the cables on ME are durable, and don't crap out in a year.

HiResDes

parasight said:
Great stuff. I hope they restock that model soon then, so I can order me some new headphones. Hopefully the cables on ME are durable, and don't crap out in a year.
Well that model is brand new and doesn't come out until Feb. 4th : (

MEElectronics usually does a pretty good job with cables, although given that the pieces are ceramic you don't wanna be too tough with them

But if you get them and then review them in comparison to your old Klipsch S4 I'll figure out a way to reward you

remz

Alucrid said:
They were definitely posted in the post you headphones before. I think it was even commented about the finger prints on the shiny surface.
Yeah I've had ES-7s in the past.

They look and sound awesome... probably my favourite portable headphone. MS-1s are better for home use though. :p

parasight

HiResDes said:
Well that model is brand new and doesn't come out until Feb. 4th : (

MEElectronics usually does a pretty good job with cables, although given that the pieces are ceramic you don't wanna be too tough with them

I think the main problem with my S4i's may actually be the connector. I wish more headphones would use L-Shaped jacks.

HiResDes

RS4- said:
Ugh, so I have yet to buy any headphones or earphones since my last post, still using the same old lousy iphone ones that came with the phone.

Doing lots of reading on here and head-fi and I've settled on these choices in no particular order, whether it's because of price from local BST forums, overall prices and reviews from you folks:

- aiaia tma-1 (will buy from amazon)
- hd 25-1 ii ($180 local)
- denon d1100 ($110 local)
- bowers & wilkpins p5 ( < 250 local)

In the mean time, I'll probably grab a pair of the MEElectronics M6P's when I don't feel like wearing the above.

Opinions? I'm leaning towards the TMA-1s and I'll probably grab the Fiio e5s while I'm at it.

edit - going to check out the AKG line as well

I'd go with either of the first two

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HiResDes said:
Oh word, I didn't even recognize, she looks better with the hood on. I think K.Jack just wants them for aesthetic purposes and is probably well aware
I'm too snobby to buy something which reviews so poorly. I was just curios to know what level of headphones a gold digger would have. I'm surprised she's rocking crappy $30 cans.

Ceres

Banned
So after thinking I was going to get the Phiaton MS400, I picked up the Senn HD25-1 ii on head-fi.

The one thing that I really disliked about the Phiatons was the cheap cabling which is a part where the Senns really shine.

ryan-ts

So I decide I want to get another pair of headphones, the ATH M50, thinking I'll be able to find a new pair for $110 or less online that are in stock just from what I've read online. I found a couple places but both were out of stock.

If anyone can direct me to some at that price range I will be forever grateful.

HiResDes

ryan-ts said:
So I decide I want to get another pair of headphones, the ATH M50, thinking I'll be able to find a new pair for $110 or less online that are in stock just from what I've read online. I found a couple places but both were out of stock.

If anyone can direct me to some at that price range I will be forever grateful.
The Sound Professionals are the only ones that have them at that price right now, but they fluctuate so much that if you wait a little bit I'm sure Amazon will have them close to that price in a month or so.

LCfiner

well, the OP title finally applies to me. :) 500 dollar cans on... it's a big step.

received my pair of Denon D5000s today. been listening for about an hour.

the bass. wow. intense. very intense. but I can still hear the fine details in the higher frequencies, as expected.

I think I'll tweak it a bit further with some minor EQing to reduce a bit of the bass boom and some of the higher frequencies (I think I'm more sensitive to higher frequencies than others. by which I mean it's easier for them to disturb me)

compared to the much smaller, portable ESW9s, these have considerably more power and a more enveloping sound. I'll be keeping the ESW9s for portable use or as a bedside rig only.

I'll be breaking the denons in for around a couple weeks or so and then I'll make a decision if I want to grab some of the bigger, jmoney pads that are supposed to increase soundstage and tighten the bass.

but first impressions are super positive from me.

LCfiner said:
E7/E9 combo hooked up to my iMac.

I'm curious to hook up the d5000s straight up to my iphone headphone port later on.
"Just as good, with plenty of volume."

that's what impresses me most about Denon cans. they don't require a lot of power to make them sound great.

ryan-ts

HiResDes said:
The Sound Professionals are the only ones that have them at that price right now, but they fluctuate so much that if you wait a little bit I'm sure Amazon will have them close to that price in a month or so.

Thanks for the advice, I'll wait it out then.

Kukuk said:
Just ordered some K601's.

I've had the pleasure of listening to them before, and they were my absolute favorite of all I tried (which included Denon D2000/7000's, HD600's, and K702's).

I'm so damn excited!

Were those discontinued?

NuForce Icon HDP just came in. been running it for maybe the last 2 hours.

It has solved both my issues with the D7000 (shrill, sharp highs) and my issues with the HD650 (kinda empty, lackluster).

I might have to keep both of these cans now. The reproduction of the HD650's with regards to live drums is bananas. Things that sound good on the E7+E9 sound that much better on the Icon. Money well spent. I may not keep both cans in the end, but the fact that I can enjoy both fully now...that matters to me.

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:
"Just as good, with plenty of volume."

that's what impresses me most about Denon cans. they don't require a lot of power to make them sound great.

indeed. been listening a bit from the iphone headphone port. still sounds great to my ears. a couple things I notice compared to the E9:

there's less bass impact and punch from the headphone port. this was expected. I see this from pretty much all my headphones when unamped.

but also:

bass was boomier and less distinct from the headphone port. a few tracks from the Tron: Legacy soundtrack in particular seemed to have bass that was a little mushier and louder than from the E9. didn't make the D5000's awful of course, but it was the most noticeable difference.

so, good on the E9, I say, for cleaning up that bass :)

listening to Stop Making Sense now. the combination of the African percussion instruments pus the synths and strong drums are a decent showpiece for these babies, I think. very happy

edit:

Dreams-Visions said:
Things that sound good on the E7+E9 sound that much better on the Icon. .

la la la. can't hear you. ignorance is bliss, etc, etc can't spend more money now. la la la

ty_hot

Just bought these Sony MDR-E818LP at Sam's Clube for only R$10 (~$6) here in Brazil. I wasnt really going to buy any earphone today, but when I saw a Sony one (all my audio stuff is Sony [radio, micro system, home theater] that cheap, I didnt think twice before buying it.

The sound quality is really good, and fits well in the ear. Only complain is that it feels a little fragile. Anyway, for the price I paid, I'm loving it.

mdr-e818lp.jpg

And I dont really know how can it be cheaper here than online in US/UK lol

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:
oh, you shouldn't. I think the E9 is the better match for the D5000.

*yes, I'm very serious right now*

this is comforting :)

@ leng jai. my damage is less severe. I spent some cash on IEMs several years ago but was able to sell them and get pretty much most of my money back.

right now, in my house, I'm looking at: ESW9, D5000, E7+E9, AD700

total of around $1000 in the last 2 years

ty_hot said:
Just bought these Sony MDR-E818LP at Sam's Clube for only R$10 (~$6) here in Brazil. I wasnt really going to buy any earphone today, but when I saw a Sony one (all my audio stuff is Sony [radio, micro system, home theater] that cheap, I didnt think twice before buying it.

The sound quality is really good, and fits well in the ear. Only complain is that it feels a little fragile. Anyway, for the price I paid, I'm loving it.

mdr-e818lp.jpg

And I dont really know how can it be cheaper here than online in US/UK lol

I am wearing those right now! I think they sounds pretty great for earbuds.

edit: Wait actually mine my colors reversed, the outside silver and the inside is black.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
ghostofsparta said:
I am wearing those right now! I think they sounds pretty great for earbuds.

edit: Wait actually mine my colors reversed, the outside silver and the inside is black.
Uh oh, so who has the bootleg?

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Have: AKG K-271, 2 x Sony V600 (foam behind driver removed - earcups converted to be open - sound much better but midrange is a bit sloppy) I'm extremely happy with my AKG's - just looking to spend some giftcards and headphones are always a safe bet. I've had the Sony's forever and the mods were just to make them a bit more bearable.

What to get?

V6's (free with Sony points) - worried that they may end up too similar to my modded V600's and/or be too boring being flat. I don't eq so no tayloring any of these to my liking. Probably would be great for studio use but I'm very comfortable with my AKG's for that role.

XB500 - ($10 after giftcard at Meijer)
XB700 - ($17 after Sony points) Both of these seem like they would be fun to listen to. I'm definitely a basshead at heart and listen to a lot of hip-hop and electronic stuff so I can definitely see myself using either of these at times. I've read some reviews and a few people prefer the 500's over the 700's. Anyone have experience with both that could chime in?

Top Bottom