• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

i got this recently, and genny's FM chip never sounded better lol
you know, i'd never used the on-board headphone jack of an actual megadrive. i wonder what it sounds like.

HiResDes said:
Those have better bass than XB500's?...It's gotta be your source

Perhaps. I am running the XB's on my Sansa Clip (My Eq has the low all the way up) and the JBL 430's were on a ipod nano (Don't know what the Eq was). I'll probably just buy an E5 some time, it's only 20 dollars and from what I've read it helps a little.

kamspy

Looking pretty hard at these and that little amp Des recommended. Can anyone here vouch for these Superlux joints personally? Are they really in the same league as the AKG k-240's?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GHIPYI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm just afraid if I get the "possible same OEM as AKG" conspiracy phones AND a headphone amp that I'm going to have a new addiction. :/ Last thing my pockets need.

Anyone have a pic of these?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GHIPYI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Google image search provided nothing but the exact same fuzzy thumbnail.

Shuusui

joesmokey said:
My stand came, what do you guys think of the setup?
QqmL4.jpg

60N4l.jpg

And of course, still connected to my amp:
7Ai78.jpg
Sexy -- where did you get the stand?

twdnewh_k

Anyone have any experience or knowledge about this Dac/amp ?
Its the Maverick Audio D1

Im currently using Senn 595's but hope to upgrade to 650s. Just want to know if this amp will be able to drive the phones properly. Price is great ($200) and reviews seem to be positive, and its got every input I can hope for.

What im thinking is that even if it doesnt perform that great, it can still serve as a gret standalone DAC or pre-amp in the future if I get a better dedicated amp.

arena08

So I think I've narrowed down my search to the ATH M50s or the Shure SRH840s, although I'm open to any other suggestions.

Whats the general consensus on these cans?

MrBig

arena08 said:
also would a FiiO E5 make any difference to the sound quality when using either of these?
I don't know about the E5 but an amp makes the M50 much better.
e: its just the highs that it really needs help with.

HiResDes

The E5 really only makes a small difference, but the fact that it makes at difference at $20 is still pretty rad IMO. The bass boost helps a tad, and when turned up to maximum volume, combined with the output of your music player it does help to drive lower OHM headphones quite a bit. Although obviously something like an E7 is going to sound much better.

Kam the Superlux HD681's aren't exactly like 240s, they are much warmer having far superior bass, but also lack the clarity and detail of the 240s in the upper regions. But with that being said they are more of a sidegrade than an actual downgrade from the phones they are knocking off.

...Impressions can be found here

HiResDes

I don't know anything about how it sounds, but that's the best looking DAC I've ever seen bar none...It looks like something straight from the dystopian society of Bioshock.

HiResDes

twdnewh_k said:
Anyone have any experience or knowledge about this Dac/amp ?
Its the Maverick Audio D1

Im currently using Senn 595's but hope to upgrade to 650s. Just want to know if this amp will be able to drive the phones properly. Price is great ($200) and reviews seem to be positive, and its got every input I can hope for.

What im thinking is that even if it doesnt perform that great, it can still serve as a gret standalone DAC or pre-amp in the future if I get a better dedicated amp.

I hear the Nuforce HDP goes best with the 650s as far as solid state amps go, but it's about $450

Edit: Have you guys ever just found that perfect album that pairs impeccably well with your cans, I think Fever Ray + My DT770s is the match made in heaven.

kr2t0s

Still a noob to all this so bear with me.

At work I have an iPod classic 5.5 with an old iPod 3G dock (FireWire).
Wanting to purchase yuin pk1's and curious on a couple of things.

Plug them into the line out on the iPod dock? Or get an amp? Or I'm going overboard and they will sound fine plugged directly into the iPod.

Thanks!

HiResDes

kr2t0s said:
Still a noob to all this so bear with me.

At work I have an iPod classic 5.5 with an old iPod 3G dock (FireWire).
Wanting to purchase yuin pk1's and curious on a couple of things.

Plug them into the line out on the iPod dock? Or get an amp? Or I'm going overboard and they will sound fine plugged directly into the iPod.

Thanks!
The Blox TM5 are wholly superior to the Yuin PK1's and are going to sound better straight from the iPod classic. The PK1 have a rather high impedance if I remember correctly and therefore will be quite demanding, though the PK2 are much easier to drive.

kr2t0s

HiResDes said:
The Blox TM5 are wholly superior to the Yuin PK1's and are going to sound better straight from the iPod classic. The PK1 have a rather high impedance if I remember correctly and therefore will be quite demanding, though the PK2 are much easier to drive.

Thanks for the response. I looked for the blox tm5 and have had no luck finding them in stock anywhere. If you have any leads - please let me know as right now the pk1's are a compromise.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
You don't ever want to plug your headphones directly into a Line-Out. The signal won't be amplified, clipping can occur and this could possibly damage your headphones.

HiResDes

kr2t0s said:
Thanks for the response. I looked for the blox tm5 and have had no luck finding them in stock anywhere. If you have any leads - please let me know as right now the pk1's are a compromise.
I linked where you can buy them, oh shit they are out of stock. MY FAULT

Stealth

arena08 said:
So I think I've narrowed down my search to the ATH M50s or the Shure SRH840s, although I'm open to any other suggestions.

Whats the general consensus on these cans?

I've owned both and loved them. The Shure's have a warmer sound and are just a joy to listen to, but they're heavier than the M50s and did not sit well on me, which is why I gave them up. Apparently Shure has the SRH-940s coming out which are a more padded version of the 840s, which sounds awesome. I don't have a giant head so the problem I had with the Shures may not exist for you, but I would recommend them even with that caveat. Can't go wrong either way, though.

arena08

Stealth said:
I've owned both and loved them. The Shure's have a warmer sound and are just a joy to listen to, but they're heavier than the M50s and did not sit well on me, which is why I gave them up. Apparently Shure has the SRH-940s coming out which are a more padded version of the 840s, which sounds awesome. I don't have a giant head so the problem I had with the Shures may not exist for you, but I would recommend them even with that caveat. Can't go wrong either way, though.

Cheers dude.

I pulled the trigger on the 840s today. Going to pick up a FiiO E7 next month and maybe some open ear phones too.

I've been so long without cans now that I can't wait for my new ones to arrive :D

edit: will post impressions when they arrive.

leng jai

Winged Creature said:
Did you get rid of your cambridge integrated amp?

Nah, just moved it because it was taking up too much space on the side table.

@Swoon: nothing like that. Its a 24 step attenuator so the gaps are pretty big. I think my ideal listening volume is stuck between the 4th and fifth click.

leng jai said:
Nah, just moved it because it was taking up too much space on the side table.

@Swoon: nothing like that. Its a 24 step attenuator so the gaps are pretty big. I think my ideal listening volume is stuck between the 4th and fifth click.
Are you finding that the Burson is making a big difference in the SQ, aside from the volume control challenges?

HiResDes

Okay everyone seems to be upgrading to real audiophile level cans, and I'm getting kind of jealous...I guess it's about time to start saving up for some T1 Tesla's LOL

HiResDes said:
Okay everyone seems to be upgrading to real audiophile level cans, and I'm getting kind of jealous...I guess it's about time to start saving up for some T1 Tesla's LOL
wait. you're trying to jump us in class?

come at me bro.

swoon

poor timing as the t1 and the senn 800 have both gone up in price new. the used price seems to be remain the same at least.

fwiw someone should join me in climbing to the top of the stax ladder rather than the high end dynamic cans.

HiResDes

swoon said:
poor timing as the t1 and the senn 800 have both gone up in price new. the used price seems to be remain the same at least.

fwiw someone should join me in climbing to the top of the stax ladder rather than the high end dynamic cans.
I was just looking at that, I'm saving up a grand to drop on an amp anyway though first.

leng jai

Dreams-Visions said:
Are you finding that the Burson is making a big difference in the SQ, aside from the volume control challenges?

Not really, just the volume difference. We'll see how burn in goes, at the moment the bass seems slightly bloated on the Burson compared to my old Darkvoice.

Top Bottom