• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

longdi

Banned
been testing dt990 for almost a week, is it strange that my pc integrated sound sounds better than my stereo amp to me? With the marantz amp, music while sounding clearly amplified - a fuller body and sorts but almost too amp'ed up, the bass is overbrooding and the midrange/vocal veiled. With integrated sound, dt990 sounds flatter but the whole frequency range is more audible and sweeter. DT990 sound signature is close to the px200. bold and dark with more bass thumps. :lol

The made in germany quality is good, better than px200 which was already good by hp standards imo. The velo cuffs is as comfy as i heard but it the headband extension is too short, a bit tight on my head at the moment.

I have yet be satisfied after spending $180. the $99 UE tf10 i heard sounds more dynamic and forward. I think i may need a headphone amp...will one make difference from a stereo amp? I wish there is an affordable amp that drives a hp well and also a pair of bookshelves.

swoon

longdi said:
been testing dt990 for almost a week, is it strange that my pc integrated sound sounds better than my stereo amp to me? With the marantz amp, music while sounding clearly amplified - a fuller body and sorts but almost too amp'ed up, the bass is overbrooding and the midrange/vocal veiled. With integrated sound, dt990 sounds flatter but the whole frequency range is more audible and sweeter. DT990 sound signature is close to the px200. bold and dark with more bass thumps. :lol

The made in germany quality is good, better than px200 which was already good by hp standards imo. The velo cuffs is as comfy as i heard but it the headband extension is too short, a bit tight on my head at the moment.

I have yet be satisfied after spending $180. the $99 UE tf10 i heard sounds more dynamic and forward. I think i may need a headphone amp...will one make difference from a stereo amp? I wish there is an affordable amp that drives a hp well and also a pair of bookshelves.

the msrp on the tf10 is $399, amazon just has crazy deals, just to put those iems in perspective.

HiResDes said:
Yuin PK3's Bro

I've heard a lot about them, but spending 40 dollars on some earbuds seams a bit pricey to me. I know I'll spend more if I keep buying the Sonys but i dont know, I'm just scared that the Pk3 won't even sound that much better than the Sonys.

edit:

So I have been listening to my XB500's and at 90% volume they can produce some real nice deep bass, but at reasonable volume the bass is dull. Would an amp make the bass be better at lower volumes. I would like to have the 90% bass while listening to them at 50% volume. Is this possible?

longdi

Banned
swoon said:
the msrp on the tf10 is $399, amazon just has crazy deals, just to put those iems in perspective.

That msrp is likely top tier milking.

I think the saying "a good pair of headphones sounds as good as speakers costing 2-3x as much" dont seem to apply for me. I cant get used to the in my head constricted sounds, could be the hp is new and the cupping is tight bit I prefer my music to have some air around it.

swoon

longdi said:
That msrp is likely top tier milking.

I think the saying "a good pair of headphones sounds as good as speakers costing 2-3x as much" dont seem to apply for me. I cant get used to the in my head constricted sounds, could be the hp is new and the cupping is tight bit I prefer my music to have some air around it.

i guess? i mean they are better sounding and more expensive at msrp or standard street pricing. anyway they aren't 99$ iems.

i'd agree with you about hp vs speaker they provide two types of sounds and headphones, even really nice ones, still sound too "in the head" for me at times.

i think the k1000 and mid-high end stax split the difference pretty well between headphones and speakers but they are pretty much nearfield speakers to begin with.

I got my Schiit Asgard yesterday. I'm happy with it so far. I don't have much to compare to, other than it's definitely a large step up from portable amps. It's pretty laid back, but plenty powerful.

yonder

Man, my second pair of sennheiser CX300-IIs died today and I'm hesitating about buying a third pair, even though I've been really happy with that model (well, till they died after a year each). What are some other similar ones I could try instead?

HiResDes

Yonn said:
Man, my second pair of sennheiser CX300-IIs died today and I'm hesitating about buying a third pair, even though I've been really happy with that model (well, till they died after a year each). What are some other similar ones I could try instead?
OP see the OP

HiResDes

Yonn said:
There's so many to choose from and I don't know much about earphones :( I guess I can't go much wrong from that list, though; I'll read up on a few.
What kind of music do you listen to? How much exactly are you trying to spend?

yonder

HiResDes said:
What kind of music do you listen to? How much exactly are you trying to spend?
These phones would mainly be used for podcasts, actually, but otherwise I listen to a lot of classic rock, prog, jazz and the occasional indie stuff. I could spend up to £40/$60. Sorry, I should've given you guys some more info before asking for advice.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yonn said:
These phones would mainly be used for podcasts, actually, but otherwise I listen to a lot of classic rock, prog, jazz and the occasional indie stuff. I could spend up to £40/$60. Sorry, I should've given you guys some more info before asking for advice.
Your tastes are the poster child for the Head-Direct RE2 + FiiO E5 bundle.

I get shivers from the way jazz dances through my head with those things.

yonder

K.Jack said:
Your tastes are the poster child for the Head-Direct RE2 + FiiO E5 bundle.

I get shivers from the way jazz dances through my head with those things.
What about using them without the amp? I'm not a big fan of carrying stuff around with me, especially since I'm stuck with an ipod shuffle till autumn comes around.

HiResDes

It's smaller than your shuffle, but if you can't get the amp I'd maybe wait for the MEelectronics M21's which come out in a week or so

Ceres

Banned
Latest shuffle and E5 photo.
3287808655_948480e0c8.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, I'm looking to buy some headphones so I can play videogames without bothering my better half while she works on homework. Just something simple, nothing fancy.

I've been looking at Sennheiser HD428s. Are these a good choice? Is there anything better within the same price range ($100 Canadian)?

yonder

Okay, thanks for the advice everyone! I'll go into town tomorrow and see what's available there, too. I don't have any spares (left my original ipod ones at my parents' house), so I want a new pair asap.

HiResDes

aidan said:
So, I'm looking to buy some headphones so I can play videogames without bothering my better half while she works on homework. Just something simple, nothing fancy.

I've been looking at Sennheiser HD428s. Are these a good choice? Is there anything better within the same price range ($100 Canadian)?
The OP has some better choices, just make sure they're closed headphones. I think even the $40 JVC HARX700's would be better

Ceres said:
Latest shuffle and E5 photo.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3314/3287808655_948480e0c8.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

I stand corrected, the new shuffle is tiny

HiResDes

Yonn said:
Okay, thanks for the advice everyone! I'll go into town tomorrow and see what's available there, too. I don't have any spares (left my original ipod ones at my parents' house), so I want a new pair asap.
Your best best is going to be to order online, even with shipping costs it shouldn't be too bad. You're not going to be able to find most of this stuff anywhere locally.

yonder

HiResDes said:
Your best best is going to be to order online, even with shipping costs it shouldn't be too bad. You're not going to be able to find most of this stuff anywhere locally.
Yeah, that's what I suspect, but it can't hurt to have a look.

Anyway, the Brainavz M1 and MEelectronics M11+ are both £30. I'm mainly looking for a solid build that'll last me a couple years, comfortable design, good noise isolation and clear sound for podcasts. The MEelectronics M6 are £20, but I assume the small price bump of the other two should be worth it?

HiResDes

Yonn said:
Yeah, that's what I suspect, but it can't hurt to have a look.

Anyway, the Brainavz M1 and MEelectronics M11+ are both £30. I'm mainly looking for a solid build that'll last me a couple years, comfortable design, good noise isolation and clear sound for podcasts. The MEelectronics M6 are £20, but I assume the small price bump of the other two should be worth it?
If you're gonna get a pair of MEelectronics I'd wait for the M21 as they are going to be the best bang for your buck especially considering your listening tastes...They are all solidly built though, except some people have problems with the M6 wire.

yonder

HiResDes said:
If you're gonna get a pair of MEelectronics I'd wait for the M21 as they are going to be the best bang for your buck especially considering your listening tastes...They are all solidly built though, except some people have problems with the M6 wire.
Yeah, after reading up on the M21s a bit they sound like what I'm looking for. Just have to wait till February 11. Hopefully I can borrow someone's spare ipod buds till then or something.

Maybe nobody saw it since it was an edit so I'm going to post it in a new post.

I have been listening to my XB500's and at 90% volume they can produce some real nice deep bass, but at reasonable volume the bass is dull. Would an amp make the bass be better at lower volumes. I would like to have the 90% bass while listening to them at 50% volume. Is this possible?

TylerD

I just got a pair of Yurbuds Ironman Series for working out / running. $50 for buds that lock into your ear, are super comfortable and have pretty strong bass. I listen to a lot of DnB/electronic music when running.

First pair of buds that I have owned that I can wear while running and they don't ever fall out or are effected by sweat.

Antiochus

HiResDes said:
Not really, but eventually you're gonna want to get some sort of DAC to go along with them. They are really good and quite solidly built. Honestly maybe I'd start with the JVC's first if you don't have a DAC of any kind.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have now gotten a Sony MDR7506. Considering I have a budget of ~$50-60, which particular laptop compatible DAC would you recommend?

HiResDes

Antiochus said:
Thanks for the recommendation. I have now gotten a Sony MDR7506. Considering I have a budget of ~$50-60, which particular laptop compatible DAC would you recommend?

Well listen to them first, as you might feel they sound fine...Otherwise the cheapest DAC/AMP is going to be the Nuforce Icon Mobile or the FiiO E7, which are both around $80-90

My MEElectronics M9s w/ mic came in today. Haven't a had a lot of time with them, but they are an amazing value at $15. Lot of bass surprisingly, though not really all that punchy like higher quality phones.

kr2t0s

About to pull the trigger on PK1 and now reading up on DAC's - curious if i should spend the $ and get the E7 or will the E5 be fine?

Mostly I listen to my music on an ipod classic 5.5 at work if that helps

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Alright GAF, great thread, looking for advice. Classes resume next week and need the best noise canceling headphones (not buds) for sub $40, preferably buyable from Amazon. Comfortability is also a plus. Recs (If there are varying types depending on what music I listen to, that would be jazzy hip hop/hip hop mostly)?

I plan to make my first BIG headphone purchase ($150+...well, that's big for me for headphones) in the middle of the year, will be coming back to this thread then to read in detail.

kr2t0s said:
About to pull the trigger on PK1 and now reading up on DAC's - curious if i should spend the $ and get the E7 or will the E5 be fine?

Mostly I listen to my music on an ipod classic 5.5 at work if that helps

DACs are mostly for listening through a PC, basically using it as an external sound card. You can still use the E7 as an amp though. I have an E5 and it works great with my UE TripleFi 10s and iPhone 4. Get yourself a Line Out cable for your iPod, plug it into the E5 and you'll be good to go.

For anyone looking for a cheap portable amp, FiiO also has a higher quality amp called the E11 coming out in March. It should be around $60. You can see it here.

They also have an MP3 player in the works.

HiResDes

Here are the details I dug up about a month ago on the E11

HiResDes said:
Supposedly it's more of a pure amp than the E7, and will be priced in between the E5 and E7, so maybe I will still jump on the E9 at its current fairly low price point.

Known Specs:

1. Replaceable battery ( compatible with NOKIA BL-5B)
2. working voltage: +/- 4.5V or +/- 6V;
3. Voltage Gain: 10 dB;
4. Volume control: Alps potentionmeter;
5. OP: AD8397;
6. Output power: >150mW;
7. Case: Aluminium alloy!
8. Playtime: 10 Hours!
9. ETA: March, 2011

More:

- E11 consume far more power than E7's amp! so it can drive the low impedance IEM more better! and the sound quality will better than E7 if you use E7 only as an amp!

-at the other hand, the playtime of E7 is about 100 hours, but E11 is only about 10 hours, so we select a mobile phone battery, and you can carry and backup battery and repalce it when the battery is empty!

-The other different is that E11 use potentionmeter, which regard will have better SQ than digital volume control, but it may not as reliable as digital volume control!

-E7 is powered by higher voltage, it means it will have higher output power and dynamic!

-BTW, E11 is not a upgrade or replacement of E7 , because they belong to different kind of products!

-For E7, it have dual usage! and most people had prove it's value both in amp and USB DAC, and with E9, it beome a decent desktop USB/DAC!

-For E11, it will be a good partner with iPod/iPhone, Walkman, and also our new HD portable DAP in the coming soon!

Stat Flow said:
Alright GAF, great thread, looking for advice. Classes resume next week and need the best noise canceling headphones (not buds) for sub $40, preferably buyable from Amazon. Comfortability is also a plus. Recs (If there are varying types depending on what music I listen to, that would be jazzy hip hop/hip hop mostly)?

I plan to make my first BIG headphone purchase ($150+...well, that's big for me for headphones) in the middle of the year, will be coming back to this thread then to read in detail.

Two key points:

1. Noise-canceling affects headphones in a negative way. Most of them do not sound good
2. Finding a pair of even mediocre sounding headphones with active noise-canceling is going to be a bitch sub $40

So you're going have to make a compromise

Option 1 - Go one with of the quality budget IEMs in the OP (in-earphone)
Option 2 - Sacrifice portability for decent isolation get a pair of JVC HARX700
Option 3 - Sacrifice some isolation for portability, MEElectronics HT-21
Option 4 - Sacrifice a little isolation, some portability for superior sound, Superlux HD-681

weepy

Can someone here recommend me some good, sturdy headphones/earphones that's $60 or less? The problem I have with buds/earphones is they end up getting flayed and worn within a few weeks and I'm barely active with them. I need something quality with lasting power.

Kukuk

Banned
weepy said:
Can someone here recommend me some good, sturdy headphones/earphones that's $60 or less? The problem I have with buds/earphones is they end up getting flayed and worn within a few weeks and I'm barely active with them. I need something quality with lasting power.

If you'd be willing to push your limit by $10, you can get the Sony MDR-V6's, which are some of the most well built headphones I've ever had the chance to use. The top being the Beyerdynamic DT48's, though those are a bit out of your price range. :p

Ceres

Banned
weepy said:

Are you wrapping the wires tight around your mp3 player to store them? Because even cheap earphones shouldn't flay within a few weeks.

Davidion

Antiochus said:

You have made an awesome investment.

Ceres said:
Are you wrapping the wires tight around your mp3 player to store them? Because even cheap earphones shouldn't flay within a few weeks.

I agree. Every pair of decent headphones should really have years worth of usable life.

Tell us how you're storing it, using it, etc.

cwmartin

So my extension cord for my Audio-Technica FC700's met their demise via vacuum recently. Anyone recommend an extension cord so i can start using these things again?

poweld

cwmartin said:
So my extension cord for my Audio-Technica FC700's met their demise via vacuum recently. Anyone recommend an extension cord so i can start using these things again?
You mean, a 3.5mm Female<->Male cable? My suggestion is to go to monoprice.com and grab one.

HiResDes

While the CC51 and A151 seem to be real winners from MEelectronics, the rest of the Clarity Series did not fair quite as well:

ljokerl said:
(3A43) MEElectronics CX21

LYJyb.jpg

Reviewed Jan 2011

Details: Entry-level model from Meelec’s new ‘clarity’ series of IEMs
Current Price: $40 from meelec.com (MSRP: $39.99); $45 for CX21P with microphone
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16&#937; | Sens: 101 dB | Freq: 15-20k Hz | Cable: 4.4’ 45°-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges, Stock bi-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) – Single-flange (3 sizes), bi-flange, and triple-flange silicone tips, shirt clip, and zippered carrying case
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The housings of the CX21 are made completely out of plastic and feel a bit cheap next to the older M-series models. The cable is quite nice and completely identical to the one used on the higher-end CW31, down to the low-profile 45°-plug
Isolation (3.5/5) – Isolation is good with an over-the-ear fit and longer tips
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Nearly absent with over-the-ear wear, low otherwise
Comfort (4/5) – The angled housings of the CX21 resemble old Shure models (of the E3/E4 generation) and fit similarly. With an over-the-ear fit and longer tips the housings actually clear my ears completely and remain comfortable for hours

Sound (6.75/10) – While the consumer-oriented ‘M’-series of Meelec’s lineup is moving closer and closer to basshead heaven with the latest releases, the CX21 represents a move in a different direction. As a part of the new clarity series, the CX21 pursues a brighter, more balanced sound, competing with the likes of the Maximo iM-590 and Brainwavz M1. The CX21 has less bass than any of Meelec’s other dynamics but still narrowly beats the armature-based A151 in impact and depth and delivers more punch than the similarly-priced Brainwavz M1. When it comes to texture and detail the Brainwavz, unburdened by the need to deliver sizeable impact, still win out but the CX21 doesn’t lag far behind.

Expectedly, there is no midrange bleed, which allows the CX21 to stay true to its name and provide impressive clarity across the range. The mids are in good balance with the bass - neither as forward as those of the Brainwavz M1 nor as recessed as those of the Meelec M9 or M6 – and can be characterized as crisp and detailed. The CX21 does sound thinner in the mids than the Brainwavz M1, sacrificing the lush smoothness of the Brainwavz mids for a dryer sound with slightly more upper midrange emphasis. Despite this, the treble of the CX21 is neither harsh nor sibilant unless the track calls for it. It lacks the sparkle of the Maximo iM-590 and the softness of the Brainwavz M1, appearing a bit hard-edged and, at times, lacking fine detail. Top-end extension is good for the asking price – about on-par with the Brainwavz M1 and lagging just a tad behind the iM-590.

In terms of presentation, the CX21 is merely competent – the average-sized soundstage has plenty of air and good separation and positioning, partly due to the excellent clarity, but it doesn’t portray distance as well as the higher-end A151. The timbre is a touch less natural than that of the higher-end CW31 and the Brainwavz M1/M2 and the dynamic range is also a bit poorer than that of the Brainwavz earphones. Tonally, the CX21 is quite neutral, sounding more like the RE-ZERO or Etymotic MC5 than the brighter Maximo iM-590 or darker Meelec A151. Such neutrality is rare among budget IEMs, which makes the CX21 arguably more unique in sound signature than the higher-end CW31 and puts it in good company with sets such as the Apple Dual-Driver in-ears and ECCI PR200.

Value (8/10) – The CX21 is Meelec’s first attempt at a neutral sound signature and, for the money, it hits the nail square on the head. With a slight bit of added bass kick and good presence throughout, the CX21 accompanies the pricier CW31 in filling out the middle third of Meelec’s model range and competes well with the other entry-level all-rounders. The angled housings make the CX21 comfortable for over-the-ear use and microphonics are impressively low, making up for the plasticky construction of the earphones. Those looking for warmth or powerful bass will vastly favor the CW31 (or one of the M-series models) but I quite like the slightly analytical tilt of the lower-end earphone.

Pros: Low microphonics, comfortable, balanced and neutral sound
Cons: Least impressive build quality of all Meelec products

ljokerl said:
(3A44) MEElectronics CW31

xIKsk.jpg

Reviewed Jan 2011

Details: Wooden ergonomically-shaped earphone from Meelec
Current Price: $50 from meelec.com (MSRP: $49.99); $55 for CW31P with microphone
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16&#937; | Sens: 99 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 4.4’ 45°-plug
Nozzle Size: 7mm oval | Preferred tips: Stock bi-flanges, Sony Hybrids
Wear Style: Straight down

Accessories (4/5) – Single-flange (3 sizes), bi-flange, and triple-flange silicone tips, shirt clip, and zippered carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) – The housings of the CW31 are lightweight and quite small, made partly out of a light-colored wood and partly out of plastic. The nozzles are oval in shape (which I’ve only seen once before on the ATH-CK6) and protected by a fine mesh filter. The cable is well-relieved, smooth, flexible and terminated with a new lower-profile 45°-plug
Isolation (3/5) – The design of the CW31 allows only the nozzle to be inserted into the ear canal but the included bi-flange tips provide reasonable isolation
Microphonics (4/5) – Typically low but the CW31 cannot be worn over-the-ear so cable noise is difficult to eliminate completely
Comfort (4.5/5) – The fit of the CW31 is fairly similar to the other half in-ear earphones but it is smaller and lighter than most. In addition, the tapered housings prevent the CW31 from putting pressure on the outer ear, making it very easy to wear for prolonged periods

Sound (7/10) – As the middle earphone in Meelectronics’ clarity series, the CW31 really doesn’t differ a whole lot from the lower-end CX21. In a nutshell, the CW31 adds extra bass and a noticeable bit of warmth to the balance of the lower-end model. The bass is still quite controlled but the CW31 has better depth and power at the low end. The bass is more full-bodied and the notes are given a pleasant warmth and roundness compared to the cooler-sounding CX21. In terms of impact, the CW31 still lags behind Meelec’s M-series models but falls closer to the Brainwavz M2 than it does to the M1. As with the CX21, there is a bit of bass detail and texture missing compared to the higher-end A151 and CC51 models but for the price the bass performance is quite competitive.

The small increase in bass quantity over the CX21 results in some warm overtones being added to the midrange of the CW31. Clarity is still very good, however, and the midrange is no more recessed than that of the CX21. Detail and texture are similar as well – just a tad below what the Maximo iM-590 and Brainwavz M1 are capable of but a bit better than with the Meelec M6 or Dr Dre Beats Tour. On the whole, the warmer CW31 sounds a little thicker and more fluid than the CX21 but the difference likely won’t be noticeable unless the two are compared head-to-head. The treble of the CW31 is neither harsh nor sibilant unless the track calls for it and appears to be just a tad softer than that of the CX21. Fine detail is still missing at times but top-end extension is quite good.

In terms of presentation, the CW31 is slightly more well-rounded compared to the lower-end model. While the CX21 has better separation and a bit more width, the CW31 seems a touch more spherical and enveloping. Neither earphone has the positioning accuracy of the A151 but the CW31 does seem to have a little more depth to it, partly as a result of the fuller, more powerful low end. The timbre and tone of the CW31 seem a little more natural as well though the earphones really aren’t radically different on that count.

Value (8.5/10) – The CW31 is yet another solid entrant in the sub-$60 market segment, offering a minimalistic design, comfortable form factor, decent build quality, and a microphone option all for not very much money. For those who don’t mind sacrificing some isolation and like a bit of warmth and bass boost to their sound, the CW31 is likely worth the price premium over the lower-end CX21 but both earphones deliver clear, accurate sound and the kind of real-world usability we’ve come to expect from Meelectronics products.

Pros: Small & comfortable, low microphonics, all-around solid sound quality
Cons: Mediocre isolation

Ashhong

Question: I ran my iPhone headphones through the washer/dryer. They work fine, but now they are all coiled up. Whats the best way to flatten them out?

Top Bottom