• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Why did you get them in the first place? I could have told you about the bloated bass, and recessed mid-range but you didn't ask.

I picked them up yesterday, I believe. I had no idea they existed until yesterday. I only purchased them due to the fact that I took solace in the notion of the ability to be able to return them for a full refund. After all, you can't listen to the headphones until you purchase them, so I'm shit out of luck on that one. At least, like I said, I can return them. Unfortunately, I'll have to order any higher end headphones online, which makes it even more of a pain in the ass, because what if I don't like those?

So, you know, any other advice? Seriously, because I'm getting sick of shopping around.

rtcn63

Muz.png

I liek muzik

HiResDes

I picked them up yesterday, I believe. I had no idea they existed until yesterday. I only purchased them due to the fact that I took solace in the notion of the ability to be able to return them for a full refund. After all, you can't listen to the headphones until you purchase them, so I'm shit out of luck on that one. At least, like I said, I can return them. Unfortunately, I'll have to order any higher end headphones online, which makes it even more of a pain in the ass, because what if I don't like those?

So, you know, any other advice? Seriously, because I'm getting sick of shopping around.

I can suggest a few headphones that I'm quite sure you'd like better:

Starting from the most expensive option to the least

KEF M500
Mad Dogs
Sony MDR-1R
Pioneer HDJ-2000
Logitech UE600
V-Moda M80
M-Audio Q40

...You'd definitely need a decent Amp/DAC setup to use the Q40 or the Mad Dogs, but the other five sound good unamped.

I can suggest a few headphones that I'm quite sure you'd like better:

Starting from the most expensive option to the least

KEF M500
Mad Dogs
Sony MDR-1R
Pioneer HDJ-2000
Logitech UE600
V-Moda M80
M-Audio Q40

...You'd definitely need a decent Amp/DAC setup to use the Q40 or the Mad Dogs, but the other five sound good unamped.

So here's the situation I got here. Guitar Center has most of the 200 (aside from the Grados). This being the following headphones.

Sennheiser HD380
Shure SRH840
AKG 271 MKII

Would you recommend these alternatives over the following I mentioned? If so, do you know of what headphones are best at what?

Honestly, is it worth upgrading to headphones that are THAT expensive, on another note? I think that was my question all along, considering that the HD580's are basically half a thousand dollars. I mean, I like sound quality and I can't go back to using shitty earbuds, but is the difference (be honest here) that substantial? I've had skeptics tell me that buying really expensive equipment just isn't worth it.

I get that there are some people who won't touch any headphone that dare leaves off the tiniest little detail that they want, but I'll admit I'm not a golden ear audiophile, as you wouldn't see me in hell shelling out 1,500 dollars for headphones if I were a millionaire (theoretically speaking). I still only use the Sennheiser HD202 for my main headphones, if not for their cheap price (obviously not very audiophile quality).

HiResDes

So here's the situation I got here. Guitar Center has most of the 200 (aside from the Grados). This being the following headphones.

Sennheiser HD380
Shure SRH840
AKG 271 MKII

Would you recommend these alternatives over the following I mentioned? If so, do you know of what headphones are best at what?

Honestly, is it worth upgrading to headphones that are THAT expensive, on another note? I think that was my question all along, considering that the HD580's are basically half a thousand dollars. I mean, I like sound quality and I can't go back to using shitty earbuds, but is the difference (be honest here) that substantial? I've had skeptics tell me that buying really expensive equipment just isn't worth it.

I get that there are some people who won't touch any headphone that dare leaves off the tiniest little detail that they want, but I'll admit I'm not a golden ear audiophile, as you wouldn't see me in hell shelling out 1,500 dollars for headphones if I were a millionaire (theoretically speaking). I still only use the Sennheiser HD202 for my main headphones, if not for their cheap price (obviously not very audiophile quality).
No you don't literally need 500 dollar headphones to get great quality. The headphones I listed all range from $120 to $300.

Out of the three you listed the Sennheiser HD380 have the strongest bass and isolate the best.

The Shure's and those AKGs both are neutral sounding headphones, though the Shure's sport a bit better clarity, and the AKGs are slightly warmer sounding (meaning they have more mid-bass and pretty mid-forward).

The headphones I listed are more well-rounded, especially the first four suggestions.

Sennheiser HD380
Shure SRH840
AKG 271 MKII

I have the AKG 271 MKII and they have excellent mids; female vocals and acoustic guitars sound amazing on them to me. The low end is nice and tight, but not very boomy to me. I'd avoid these if you like a lot of bass. I'd say these are slightly more neutral than warm. My K601s are warmer than these.

Well, I'm primarily a Metal fan, but one thing that is a misnomer regarding metal is the notion of the genre being primarily for tone deaf teenagers who blast metal with crappy bass headphones or terrible iPod earbuds. It's true if you listen to shitty Metalcore with no regards to dynamics, songwriting, or actually writing memorable music, but if you listen to Progressive Metal, or a really really well produced Tech Metal album, I need a good balance of bass, accurate mids, and good highs.

Well, I'm primarily a Metal fan, but one thing that is a misnomer regarding metal is the notion of the genre being primarily for tone deaf teenagers who blast metal with crappy bass headphones or terrible iPod earbuds. It's true if you listen to shitty Metalcore with no regards to dynamics, songwriting, or actually writing memorable music, but if you listen to Progressive Metal, or a really really well produced Tech Metal album, I need a good balance of bass, accurate mids, and good highs.

The Allesandro MS-1 might be to your liking. They're basically modified Grado headphones, and some Head-Fi users said they were good for metal. Only $99, but I don't know if they can be tested out where you live. Oh, they're also open backed, not sure if that would be a problem.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones

http://www.head-fi.org/products/alessandro-ms-1/reviews/5333

terrible

Banned
My DT 880 Premium (600 Ohm) just arrived
Holy shit, the difference from my PC350 is FANTASTIC.
Everything sounds so balanced and right. I'm pumping my O2 to 75% volume (without gain) to feed these beasts, but damn, it sounds marvelous!

I didn't have this feeling with my PC350 when I got them first. First set of headphones that I listen to and immediately jump to the conclusion "Yup, they sound good"

http://i.imgur.com/lo3KUmV.jpg

Awesome, sounds like you got the right headphones then. If you're anything like me you'll probably like them even more over time as you get more and more used to their sound.

HiResDes

If you can handle on-ears Sennheiser HD25-II would be perfect for you!...You should be able to find them for about $200 anywhere.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno about the hd25s having amazing mids, but I do like them for the attack they have.

I'd go with the k550/551 for better mids and less bass bloat, but it doesn't have the same forward, aggressive nature of the hd25 and the highs aren't as... high. Which is a good or bad thing according to your preferences.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, I love that about them. Very headbanger friendly phones. :p

They're also the only phones I have that doesn't fly off when I head bang. Love that split headband and clamp.

Corsick

Hey guys, just found this thread and I'm a novice to headphones and audio in general. I had a pair of 555s that cracked the point where I had to throw them away after falling apart, literally. I now am looking at getting headphones at anywhere between 75-150 dollars. I listen to a good amount of Metal/Hip Hop and Electronica. I know next to nothing about amps and am reluctant to have one more thing to shell out money for that will take up more space on my very small desk. I'm also lost as to what quality of headphones benefits the most from amps (or do they all benefit a lot?) and which ones can do without one. Like I said, I'd like to avoid having to get an amp to lessen the cost and save some precious desk space.

These are the most expensive headphones I'm willing to buy right now, but if something better is out there that is cheaper I'd love to see suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZG9TMA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thank you and I will be here for a bit if any more information is needed.

edit: Should I just wait for Black Friday? I've no idea if they put headphones on sale often.

edit 2: I don't really need something expensive since my current benchmark for sound quality is the Sennheiser 555's. If there's a big jump in performance at the $150 point I will buy something at that price, but nothing higher.

HiResDes

Before I purchase whatever I want, can somebody let me know if Burn-In is actually required? I hear about it all the time, but I never get an answer.

Because it's entirely subjective...But no

Hey guys, just found this thread and I'm a novice to headphones and audio in general. I had a pair of 555s that cracked the point where I had to throw them away after falling apart, literally. I now am looking at getting headphones at anywhere between 75-150 dollars. I listen to a good amount of Metal/Hip Hop and Electronica. I know next to nothing about amps and am reluctant to have one more thing to shell out money for that will take up more space on my very small desk. I'm also lost as to what quality of headphones benefits the most from amps (or do they all benefit a lot?) and which ones can do without one. Like I said, I'd like to avoid having to get an amp to lessen the cost and save some precious desk space.

These are the most expensive headphones I'm willing to buy right now, but if something better is out there that is cheaper I'd love to see suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZG9TMA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thank you and I will be here for a bit if any more information is needed.

edit: Should I just wait for Black Friday? I've no idea if they put headphones on sale often.

edit 2: I don't really need something expensive since my current benchmark for sound quality is the Sennheiser 555's. If there's a big jump in performance at the $150 point I will buy something at that price, but nothing higher.

Logitech UE600

derder

So. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. I want to spend $400 (total) on a DAC and an Amp. This would be solely used for listening to music at my desk at work, so the DAC would need to have USB. I would like the amp to include stereo outputs, if reasonable. Also, I love buying used gear, fyi.

What say you, gaf?

Addnan

A friend of mine has a Fiio E06 and I tried it today with my headphone (K550) through my phone and it just made the sound even better. Again, don't know how to describe, but it made everything sound clearer. Sounded more like when I run it from my PC. So my question, is that the best in the price range? It's only £20

HiResDes

A friend of mine has a Fiio E06 and I tried it today with my headphone (K550) through my phone and it just made the sound even better. Again, don't know how to describe, but it made everything sound clearer. Sounded more like when I run it from my PC. So my question, is that the best in the price range? It's only £20

The JDS Cmoy is better but its like 20 dollars more so I'd say yes.

HiResDes

So. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. I want to spend $400 (total) on a DAC and an Amp. This would be solely used for listening to music at my desk at work, so the DAC would need to have USB. I would like the amp to include stereo outputs, if reasonable. Also, I love buying used gear, fyi.

What say you, gaf?

I'd save some money and go with the NFB 12.1

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

What say you, gaf?

The Bottlehead Crack tube amp is THE amp to get for the 650s. Pretty much undisputed. In fact, I've been really tempted to sell my HE-400s and get that combo...

Is OP up to date? I'm looking for new okay-ish headphones/headsets. My $20 A4tech HU-200's left phone broke.
- Must cost ~$85 or less
- Must enclose my ears (as in my entire ear fits inside). Preferred rectangular but not required.
- Must have soft pads for comfort (like this, not this). Comfort is very important.
- Must not have loud/obnoxious colors (eg Razer green), and not look roboto (I don't use those buttons!)
- Don't care if it's USB only, since I'll use it at work
- Don't care if it has a mic or not.
- Don't care if wireless or not

My choices are limited to local shops. I can't find anything OP's list in any local shop's online listings. I will personally check some more local shops later. I checked their online listings and so far here are the ones that caught my attention.
Corsair Vengeance 1300/1400/1500 said:
Looks very comfy, love the brushed metal. I don't really know the difference between 1300/1400/1500. Leaning to this one.
1500_right.png

Corsair Raptor H5 5.1 said:
Being rectangular is a plus.
raptor_h5_hero.png

Plantronics GameCom 380/780 said:
Looks big. 780 looks comfier with extra pads
gamecom-380.gif
gamecom-780.png

TT eSports Shock Gaming said:
Cheaper option.
2010120809100594-78.jpg

scottzorus

Neo Member
Upgraded all the other peripherals other than headphones, so now it's time.
Looking for over the ear headphones, and I'll be using these mainly for listening to music and playing games. I listen to top hits/pop/rock (blink-182, bad religion, new found glory type rock).
When playing games would like to be able to tell from what direction someone/something is coming.

What would be my best bet? Thanks!

Edit: Changed to over the ear headphones

tr4656

Upgraded all the other peripherals other than headphones, so now it's time.
Looking for closed headphones, and I'll be using these mainly for listening to music and playing games. I listen to top hits/pop/rock (blink-182, bad religion, new found glory type rock).
When playing games would like to be able to tell from what direction someone/something is coming.

What would be my best bet? Thanks!

Well, how much are you looking to spend?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the HE-400s and have nothing bad to say about them except for the fact that the treble spike can bother my treble-sensitive ears a bit if I'm listening somewhat loudly. I just prefer warmer sounding headphones since my ears are particularly sensitive to treble. The Senn 650s seem liked they'd be the sweet spot for me as sound signatures go.

HiResDes

The AKGs, but mostly because of the build quality, but I like the Sony's because they have a slightly more robust low-end. AKGs win out in treble quality though, for sure. Also the Sony's sound better without an amp between the two...Hard fucking decision.

scottzorus

Neo Member
Yeah, I noticed that too and liked the build of the AKG's better. I noticed there are a couple different versions of them, the q 701's seem to be the best for what I'm after?

Edit: Should I run these through an amp+DAC? If so, is the FiiO E17/E10 a good one to pick?

HiResDes

The one good thing about the plasticky build of the Sony's is how light they feel, it actually adds to the comfort. You won't even remember you have them on at times.

My only concern was that they might be too bright for you, how are you liking the treble?

It's going to take some time getting used to, coming from Sennheiser 418's.

I enjoy it though, it feels less dull.

the bass has like different layers, i just feel mind blown at the moment.

Again, thanks a lot for the recommendation!

sn00zer

80 OHM?...Yes, you don't need anything fancy. Just an E10 will do even

I just researched and you can just buy a convert for that, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058P0I2C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and if you want a $30 headphone suggestion, just go with these - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MMEI8W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just got my headphones in....never had anywhere near nice head phones (usually stuck with $10 cheapies)....damn these things are sweet....anything I should DL to make the most of them on my PC?

HiResDes

Just got my headphones in....never had anywhere near nice head phones (usually stuck with $10 cheapies)....damn these things are sweet....anything I should DL to make the most of them on my PC?

No, just keep listening to them, they should get better and better to your ears.

Top Bottom