• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I love these headphones, going to check it out, please be real this time for me...C'mon Steve

Hope you have better luck this time. I wouldn't have post it but 3 people said they were manage to see it at the same price even though the site displays it at $349. Oh well only a few more hours wait

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Yup deal must be nationwide and got one for $151(with tax) . There's a test unit too if you want to try them out before purchasing

HiResDes

Yo I just copped a pair from Bestbuy today, gonna give them to my girlfriend, but you know I gotta listen to em first.

Edit: Fuck, I should have bought two pair, these complement my Fischer's so well!...Very detailed, the mids aren't recessed like I heard, they just aren't super forward but still very very present. And only an absolute basshead would find these bass light, the bass is quite layered, not a big mid-bass boom, but the sub-bass gives it the phones their texture. And the treble is pretty much perfect, not sibilant but still a bit forward.

X-Frame

I'd much appreciate it if someone can help me with a couple questions, thanks!

- I have Sennheiser HD-280's .. is there any good starter amp (and possibly DAC) that would work with these? I never even considered them until I read the OP again, but am curious of how it'll change the quality of my music, especially since some seem pretty small and portable and reasonably priced. But is an amp and/or a DAC even needed?

- I also have Vsonic GR06 High Fidelity Earphones .. can the same work with these too or would I need something else?

- And lastly, maybe it's just me being untrained and inexperienced, but I can't seem to hear any difference in my music if it's 256-320 kbps vs. FLAC or Apple Lossless. Is it more likely that it is just my inexperience or is it more likely it is that the Vsonic's and HD-280's that aren't "good enough" to tell a difference? And I assume that an amp and/or DAC would help with that as well ..

EDIT: Also, I am on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, and have an iPhone 5 -- if that makes any difference.

HiResDes

Most people can't hear that difference, and while the HD 280 Pro has a fairly high impedance of 300 OHM, the regular version has a lower one of 64 OHM and would not benefit much from amping. So to answer that question just figure out if you have the pro or the regular version. Your V-Sonics aren't going to benefit from amping much, but both sets might sound better with a better DAC/Soundcard if you're onboard computer soundcard isn't very good.

But again, don't worry too much about hearing that difference, as I can barely ear any difference between FLAC and MP3 V0, and I have pretty good hearing.

Edit: Apparently the Macbook Pro has a good DAC, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

X-Frame

Oh yeah you're gonna want a cheap beginner amp for those then eventually.

Thank you!

So if I don't really need a DAC, then just an amp .. what are the major differences between say the E6 and the E11? They both seem to be well reviewed, with the E11 a bit higher, and only $25 more expensive.

Would that be a good starter amp?

Corsick

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UE6I0G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got those today and finally listened. Being a complete novice they sound crisp and accurate. I don't have the vocabulary to do them justice or critique them properly, but they sound great. The bass is more powerful than I thought it would be, but not overblown. They clasp tightly to you but the design of the pads is prepared for the extra force and are properly padded. I also think the depth of the cans allows your ears proper room to "breath" as well. They don't hit the drivers at all and truly allow your ears to feel free inside them. I'm pretty happy right now with my purchase without them being broken in at all. The suggestions were also helpful and productive even if I did not end up buying those headphones.

Edit: The price was also a steal (I think?), that was a huge deal for me as well.

Blizzard

Banned
I wanted some decent but inexpensive headphones, and I just picked up the HDJ-500. Weirdly they go for $80-90 online but were $40 in a store.

There seems to be a bit of barely detectable noise, even with my bad hearing, when nothing's playing and they're plugged in, but that's probably my computer since it happens on either the front or back jack, and only when I configure the Realtek control panel or whatever for the headphones.

The bass seems a bit heavy so I turned it down in the equalizer. They are moderately comfortable for my huge head, though a little bit tight. I normally prefer over-the-ear style.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose

I got those today and finally listened. Being a complete novice they sound crisp and accurate. I don't have the vocabulary to do them justice or critique them properly, but they sound great. The bass is more powerful than I thought it would be, but not overblown. They clasp tightly to you but the design of the pads are prepared for the extra force and are properly padded. I also think the depth of the cans allows your ears proper room to "breath" as well. They don't hit the drivers at all and truly allow your ears to feel free inside them. I'm pretty happy right now with my purchase without them being broken in at all. The suggestions were also helpful and productive even if I did not end up buying those headphones.

Edit: The price was also a steal (I think?), that was a huge deal for me as well.
Saw these at BB for 100$. Sadly they were sold out.

HiResDes

I wanted some decent but inexpensive headphones, and I just picked up the HDJ-500. Weirdly they go for $80-90 online but were $40 in a store.

There seems to be a bit of barely detectable noise, even with my bad hearing, when nothing's playing and they're plugged in, but that's probably my computer since it happens on either the front or back jack, and only when I configure the Realtek control panel or whatever for the headphones.

The bass seems a bit heavy so I turned it down in the equalizer. They are moderately comfortable for my huge head, though a little bit tight. I normally prefer over-the-ear style.

You might need to think about getting a DAC.

X-Frame

I got those today and finally listened. Being a complete novice they sound crisp and accurate. I don't have the vocabulary to do them justice or critique them properly, but they sound great. The bass is more powerful than I thought it would be, but not overblown. They clasp tightly to you but the design of the pads is prepared for the extra force and are properly padded. I also think the depth of the cans allows your ears proper room to "breath" as well. They don't hit the drivers at all and truly allow your ears to feel free inside them. I'm pretty happy right now with my purchase without them being broken in at all. The suggestions were also helpful and productive even if I did not end up buying those headphones.

I didn't even know there was an HD 380 Pro. I like my 280 Pro's but the only thing that I dislike about them is comfort wearing them for a long time. The more I wear them the easier it is, but there is still that "vice-grip" feeling sometimes and they give me a headache. According to reviews, this effect is greatly lessened with the 380 Pro's.

Interesting! Maybe I'll have to look into them eventually.

Addnan

Are the MEElectronics A161P still the in ear ones I should be buying? I really liked them when I had them a while ago, or something better out there now.

Hey guys, gonna buy new headphones (both pair of mine seemed to die on me, got a good almost 3 years from my hd555s but I can't seem to find a replacement driver). Gonna get a pair of ATH M50's, and there's a bundle on Amazon that includes a FiiO E6 amplifier for free. That thing any good? I mean it'll be free either way so I guess it doesn't matter?

jesalr

The cable on my UE600s for the left ear has pulled from the join. They still work great, but there's a bit of cable exposed. Hopefully they hold til I get back to London so I can return them to the store.

Thinking of getting the RE-400s from the head direct ebay store. Anybody tried them before?

Gibbo

So i busted my 3 year old HD650s last week and went shopping for a new pair of headphones. For the same price range, the only brand/model which came close to sounding as good was the Bayerdynamics T90.

I chose to buy the HD650 again tho- it is a fantastic piece of equiptment. And most importantly i didnt want to get used to a different pair of headphones. Lol

andylsun

So i busted my 3 year old HD650s last week and went shopping for a new pair of headphones. For the same price range, the only brand/model which came close to sounding as good was the Bayerdynamics T90.

I chose to buy the HD650 again tho- it is a fantastic piece of equiptment. And most importantly i didnt want to get used to a different pair of headphones. Lol

Busted how? All parts are available from Sennheiser if you need to repair anything.

scottzorus

Neo Member
I'd go with good all-arounders for pop-rock like the Sony MDRMA900

Went with the Sony's
At first I didn't have a sound card in my computer and the headphones weren't getting loud. I was like... this can't be it, so I ordered a sound card that came today. Wow, thanks for the recommendation, I'm liking how these feel - light and comfy. They sound great. Smiling, listening to music as I type this :D

Ordered me some ATH M50's with a free FiiO amp I talked about earlier. Can't wait. I've been using the headphones that came with my iPhone and my ears have been sad since then.

HiResDes

Went with the Sony's
At first I didn't have a sound card in my computer and the headphones weren't getting loud. I was like... this can't be it, so I ordered a sound card that came today. Wow, thanks for the recommendation, I'm liking how these feel - light and comfy. They sound great. Smiling, listening to music as I type this :D
Awesome!
The cable on my UE600s for the left ear has pulled from the join. They still work great, but there's a bit of cable exposed. Hopefully they hold til I get back to London so I can return them to the store.

Thinking of getting the RE-400s from the head direct ebay store. Anybody tried them before?

They sound amazing, but the build quality is rather mediocre

jesalr

Awesome!

They sound amazing, but the build quality is rather mediocre

Eugh, sucks. Since it's from ebay, I feel less happy about doing the whole returns thing.

In which case, what would you guys say is the best £100 or less IEM at the moment, for someone who is a little less gentle with theirs.

The upcoming Fostex TE05 is supposed to have SQ that demolishes the RE400 (according to some accounts from RMAF 2013), replaceable cables, and an all metal housing. The price? $100-ish.
fostex0521_te05.JPG

jesalr

Vsonic VC1000

Only problem is I can't find it anywhere reputable in the UK, which seems to be the thing that holds me back on buying most IEMs I really like the look of. Can't even find the se215s anywhere.

The upcoming Fostex TE05 is supposed to have SQ that demolishes the RE400 (according to some accounts from RMAF 2013), replaceable cables, and an all metal housing. The price? $100-ish.
fostex0521_te05.JPG

Cool, here's hoping it makes its way to the UK at some point before the UEs give out.

Igo

fostex0521_te05.JPG
These coming any time soon?

Left driver in my gr06's died (3 mounts out of warranty) and I need to replace them soon. 4th iem in like 7 years. I'm extremely tempted by the RE-400's and possibly the VC1000's but i'm wary of paying £70/80 for something that probably won't last more than a year and a half.

I remember really liking the how the er6i's sounded, so anything with a similar signature around the same price point of the gr06's?

I'm not sure when the Fostex is dropping as the unit being described is a prototype. They're a big name in the headphone scene with an established TOTL product (TH900), a legendary ortho (T50RP) and supply tech to other companies (Apple being one) so I buy into their technical prowess. Anaxilus claims they're the best reference sounding headphone or IEM for around $100. Described as superbly neutral, and impossibly free of grain and congestion. He's got a UERM and LFF of Paradox fame is a friend of his so I don't think he's talkin out his ass.

If there's any truth to the above this IEM has a sig that would rival the Paradox/Alpha Dog barring differences in soundstage presentation and perceived bass impact. Super excited to try these as they could be punching up into the hi-end range of IEMs in terms of performance. Insane I know, but then again, supposedly the Schiit Vali and the fuckin GEEK DAC are the real deal as well and those are also priced insanely low

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
fostex0521_te05.JPG

Interesting. I'd really like something with a replaceable cable.

I'll probably scoop these and compare them to my RE-400.

So I was reading to some good cheap alternatives to my Audio Technica MTH 50 & saw people recommending & even say that the SUPERLUX HD681 is better than it.

But the SUPERLUX HD681 is only $30.
Have headphones advanced so much since the MTH50 that they are as good at less than 1/3rd the price?

HiResDes

So I was reading to some good cheap alternatives to my Audio Technica MTH 50 & saw people recommending & even say that the SUPERLUX HD681 is better than it.

Have headphones advanced so much since the MTH50 that they are as good at less than 1/3rd the price?

I've always thought the MTH50s were a tad bit overrated, but I'm not sure the Superlux's are better...The M50s sport a better mid-range, though the comparison is closer than it has any right to be especially the Samson SR850 edition of the 681s.

But there are really about six headphones priced under $100 that give the M50s a run for there money.

HiResDes

Only problem is I can't find it anywhere reputable in the UK, which seems to be the thing that holds me back on buying most IEMs I really like the look of. Can't even find the se215s anywhere.

Cool, here's hoping it makes its way to the UK at some point before the UEs give out.

Just buy them from ebay, BigBargainOnline is super legit and ships worldwide...Man of the best bang for buck IEMs are being made in Singapore and Hong Kong, so getting them in the UK is pretty rare.

XLNC

Just ordered some DT-990 Pros to complement my Q701s in use for movies and my more bass-centric music. Anyone else have DT-990s?

I've always thought the MTH50s were a tad bit overrated, but I'm not sure the Superlux's are better...The M50s sport a better mid-range, though the comparison is closer than it has any right to be especially the Samson SR850 edition of the 681s.

But there are really about six headphones priced under $100 that give the M50s a run for there money.

Sounds good. Can't go wrong for $50 & being comparable to $150 headphones.

Addnan

Just buy them from ebay, BigBargainOnline is super legit and ships worldwide...Man of the best bang for buck IEMs are being made in Singapore and Hong Kong, so getting them in the UK is pretty rare.

It's a little scary. If it gets stopped by customs we would have to pay 20% VAT +2% duty on headphones. Plus an arbitrary amount they deem fair for their processing. Usually £10+

X-Frame

What is everyone's personal preference between Open or Closed Headphones?

I've recently started reading up more on all of these things and my HD-280 Pro's are Closed, but reading reviews on some good Open ones say they sound better than Closed because of less distortion or something, at the expense of everyone being able to hear what you're listening to.

Since I may be in the market for another pair, I should decide between these 2 factors first. I don't need to worry about people hearing what I listen to since my earphones are for out of the house and headphones for my room/gaming. So if Open sound "better" that would be a good trade-off.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

It's not really advancement in headphone technology as much as china brute forcing cheap manufacturing. :p

jesalr

Probably will when I return them. Have a the S4(II) laying around to use until then. Left ear gave out today on the UE600s =[

It's a little scary. If it gets stopped by customs we would have to pay 20% VAT +2% duty on headphones. Plus an arbitrary amount they deem fair for their processing. Usually £10+

Definitely one of the bigger issues, but they're usually still under the UK price (if there even is one). Only problem for me is returns.

Top Bottom