• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Igo

My AD700's started to cut out and produce static depending on how my head is positioned. Cable or driver issue?

Also, what should I be looking at to replace them with under $200?

MDSLKTR

The 598's a good choice.

If you go DT990, you need to make sure that you get the right impedance. Beyerdynamic makes it in 32 ohm (easily driven by a portable / computer) and 250 or 600 ohm versions which will require some kind of dedicated amplification to reach a reasonable level of dynamic range without crazy volume.

The DT990's comfier than the 598, though very large and warm in summer months.

I guess it's because of the extra clamping force on the Pros compared to the other versions but I kind of find my DT990 Pros uncomfortable. After around 30 minutes the headband (or whatever it's called) starts digging into my head and it gets sore. With my HD558s (same shape as the 598s) I can wear them for the whole day without getting sore. My DT880s are really comfortable though so I'm guessing that's what the non Pro DT990s feel like too.

Thanks I was already leaning more towards the 598 because of the price.

Fidelio X1 or KEFM500
Can't seem to find those in canada :/

z3phon

Hey guys I'd appreciate some quick advice on headphones. I need something for the PC and PS4. Reading through this thread It sound like open headphones are generally better for games, especially for FPS games.
People keep recommending soundcards with some good headphones, but I'm on a laptop so I can't change the soundcard, so do the open headphones still sound great without a good soundcard?
My budget is $200, I got the pulse elite yesterday and they do sound good but if for the same price I could get something better I'd prefer that.

Any recommendations from the link below would be great
http://ncix.ca/products/?minorcatid=1318&po=1&ps=
Thanks

Long story short:

I tested two headphones, the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and the Soundmagic HP 100. I ordered both from Amazon.de and tested them for a few days, and decided I wanted to get the Soundmagic. I sent both back though, because the Soundmagic were 210€ while I saw them for about 160-170€ on other websites.

Last week I ordered them from merlin.pl. They did not seem to be "unknown", about 70k likes on Facebook and I thought "hey, they look legit, go for it" (160€). Today they arrived and they were obviously faked. Jack for the cable on the right and not on the left, no genuine product sticker, several things in the packaging were missing and so on.

I hate myself now. And I'm worried I won't get my money back. Learned my lesson.
Now I'll be getting them from advancedmp3players.co.uk as they are a trusted by Soundmagic. Please let it be an original product.

In general, the HP100 sound AWESOME. No joke, they are from China and you won't find them in any store, but they really sound magnificent for their price. They beat the Beyerdynamics by a huge margin.
Really recommend those to anyone who is looking for a decent headphone for about 200€. But do yourself a favor and order them from Amazon to test them, just to be on the safe side.

Mercutio

Is there any Chinese cheap brute forcing equivalent to $500-$800 headphones.
Would definite drop over a hundred if these exist.

China's gone through an incredible audio thing in the past few years. Individuals have been creating home-grown 'phones that hang with the best of the best, and some of the amplifiers are just brilliant sounding for the prices they're being sold at. However, we're still talking $300+ for the good shit here.

See:
http://www.yulongaudio.com/en/index.asp

I also think http://hifiman.com develops a lot of products within China.

Could I get some recommendations for decent headphones? I know little about audio, so help would be much appreciated.

Relevant info:
-I plan to use them on my PC, mostly for games and movies.
-My budget is about €60-€100.
-I won't be traveling with them, so portability (or looks) won't matter.
-My room is pretty quiet, so sound isolation is not a necessity.
-I don't need a mic, no headset.
-If possible, I'd like a good quality bass.
-The cable needs to be at least 1 meter, and have a 3.5mm jack.

Recommend multiple headphones if possible, as some headphones are not available in the Netherlands, and prices are sometimes a little off compared to the MSRP.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: actually, here is a list of available headphones that fit my criteria, with prices. Do any of them jump out as a great deal?

omgkitty

We've got another iteration of the TMA-1's coming out.

tmax_newsletter_6542.jpg

Introducing the TMA-1 X Headphones

The TMA-1 X is a democratically designed, lightweight, multi-purpose addition to the TMA-1 familiy. Based on the award-winning design of the original TMA-1, it offers a highly portable alternative to the existing TMA-1 range.

The latest AIAIAI headphones feature a comfortable fit, a minimalistic headband, new low profile cushions and the acclaimed TMA-1 capsule design.

Moreover, with an an all-round, dynamic sound signature intended to compliment a wide range of music, the TMA-1 X is ideal for the multi-genre DJ and audiophile alike - and takes award-winning design and performance down to an entry-level price.

The TMA-1 X will be available worldwide from the 28th of November. Head on over to the product page to check out more on the latest AIAIAI headphones and register for pre-order.

HiResDes

Could I get some recommendations for decent headphones? I know little about audio, so help would be much appreciated.

Relevant info:
-I plan to use them on my PC, mostly for games and movies.
-My budget is about €60-€100.
-I won't be traveling with them, so portability (or looks) won't matter.
-My room is pretty quiet, so sound isolation is not a necessity.
-I don't need a mic, no headset.
-If possible, I'd like a good quality bass.
-The cable needs to be at least 1 meter, and have a 3.5mm jack.

Recommend multiple headphones if possible, as some headphones are not available in the Netherlands, and prices are sometimes a little off compared to the MSRP.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: actually, here is a list of available headphones that fit my criteria, with prices. Do any of them jump out as a great deal?

Sennheiser PX100 maybe.

Long story short:

I tested two headphones, the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and the Soundmagic HP 100. I ordered both from Amazon.de and tested them for a few days, and decided I wanted to get the Soundmagic. I sent both back though, because the Soundmagic were 210€ while I saw them for about 160-170€ on other websites.

Last week I ordered them from merlin.pl. They did not seem to be "unknown", about 70k likes on Facebook and I thought "hey, they look legit, go for it" (160€). Today they arrived and they were obviously faked. Jack for the cable on the right and not on the left, no genuine product sticker, several things in the packaging were missing and so on.

I hate myself now. And I'm worried I won't get my money back. Learned my lesson.
Now I'll be getting them from advancedmp3players.co.uk as they are a trusted by Soundmagic. Please let it be an original product.

In general, the HP100 sound AWESOME. No joke, they are from China and you won't find them in any store, but they really sound magnificent for their price. They beat the Beyerdynamics by a huge margin.
Really recommend those to anyone who is looking for a decent headphone for about 200€. But do yourself a favor and order them from Amazon to test them, just to be on the safe side.

I think it's in the top three best closed headphones under $250.

My AD700's started to cut out and produce static depending on how my head is positioned. Cable or driver issue?

Also, what should I be looking at to replace them with under $200?

Sony MDRMA900

Hi everyone, first post in this thread. I've never been into the audio side of my gaming hobby, as such I know very little about decent headphones, I'm wondering if I can get some guidance? Here is some info to narrow down my optimal pair:

I live in Australia so price and availability could be an issue.

Wanted for gaming, mainly on PC but It also has to be compatible with the PS4.

Not overly fussed about attached microphone as I'm mainly into single player but if it comes with one and it doesn't effect sound quality then it's not an issue.

I play games (even Pc) on my TV and sit around 2m away. Wireless might be best?

Budget... Anywhere up to $350 Aud.

Looking forward to seeing what some of GAF's audiophiles come up with. Cheers.

Kreunt

Banned
My ATH-AD900's are falling apart :(
Thinking of replacing them with some Alessandro ms-2's

Hi everyone, first post in this thread. I've never been into the audio side of my gaming hobby, as such I know very little about decent headphones, I'm wondering if I can get some guidance? Here is some info to narrow down my optimal pair:

I live in Australia so price and availability could be an issue.

Wanted for gaming, mainly on PC but It also has to be compatible with the PS4.

Not overly fussed about attached microphone as I'm mainly into single player but if it comes with one and it doesn't effect sound quality then it's not an issue.

I play games (even Pc) on my TV and sit around 2m away. Wireless might be best?

Budget... Anywhere up to $350 Aud.

Looking forward to seeing what some of GAF's audiophiles come up with. Cheers.

I don't know anything about ps4 compatibility, but try http://headphones.com.au/, they're a great perth company that do free postage to anywhere in aus and they pretty much have the best prices around.
Their forum is also real helpful if you need recommendations or have questions.
They also take returns if you don't like the headphones.

AEREC

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pair of passive (no white noise) noise cancelling headphone for $100 or less?

Looking for something to wear on the morning bus commute for playing my DS/Vita and these iPhone earplugs aren't really cutting it.

Accoun

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pair of passive (no white noise) noise cancelling headphone for $100 or less?

Looking for something to wear on the morning bus commute for playing my DS/Vita and these iPhone earplugs aren't really cutting it.

I remember AKG DJ phones isolating well (unless I remember wrong, lol). They were clamping hard though, so there were people that didn't like it for longer listening. They were pretty bassy as well.

If you want isolation, IEMs might be a better bet (for some reason I can't stand them myself, though - so it depens).

Accoun

Long story short:

I would be surprised if they were fakes. Merlin is a huge e-store here in Poland, perhaps the biggest one.
Don't take my words for granted (I may remember wrong), but you may have gotten the first version (there already have been two newer revisions, so I guess yours has been lying in the warehouse for a good while).
I think they changed the side of the cable in mk. 2 and it's the only external difference - mk. 2 and mk. 3 are the same on the outside.Guess it's better to buy in actual music-related store, they'll probably know what they are selling you.
I guess you aren't from Poland (judging by your profile), but mp3store.pl belong to the same company that is the official Polish importer for Soundmagic
and AFAIK they don't even have the two earlier versions in store.

[EDIT]
Oops, double post. Sorry...

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Been playing around with the Sennheiser IE800 in-ear monitors. I have to say they sound really stunning used with my Headamp Pico. Punchy, detailed with amazing separation and speed. My only real criticism is that they are very unforgiving of source material and really, really don't like compressed recordings.

Also, I'm thinking of selling my Manley Labs 300B reference pre/headphone amp. I doubt it but is anyone interested?

Kickz

Gentlemen what is the best over the Head phones for my Iphone/Laptop. Mostly for listening to music solely. I can go as high
$200
but good values are welcome.

HiResDes

Gentlemen what is the best over the Head phones for my Iphone/Laptop. Mostly for listening to music solely. I can go as high
$200

Best is so subjective. What are you into? What kind of music do you listen to? Do you want something bassy or neutral?

HiResDes

These seem to be the best in that price range that don't require an amp, but after reading some reviews i'm worried that the treble is subdued and they lack clarity/detail comparatively to other models in that range. Would you still recommend the Sony's if I already had a decent amp?

Whoever says there is a lack of clarity needs to have their ears examined...Yes I would still recommend with a good amp, but if you're a real treble head then maybe the DT880 or Soundmagic HP200 or AKG Q701 would be better.

Here's a useful thread for you: http://www.head-fi.org/t/666324/beyerdinamic-dt880-vs-sony-mdr-ma900-two-nights-impressions

I've recently taken up running, and I obviously can't use my ATH-m50s for that (maybe I have an unusually smooth head, I dunno. Ten feet of cord makes it difficult too)) and the buds that came with the iPhone 5 are really showing their flaws now that I'm using them for extended periods of time. So, I'm in the market for some new IEMs.

Based on the information here, I'm looking at the Brainwavz B2 or Sony XBA-3 (something in that <$150 price range, ideally). I really do listen to a wide range of music, so I'm not sure what I would need: hip hop; electro; jazz; folk; static-y, harsh metal and punk music, etc. The last one in that list can make high trebles painful, though. Heavy bass isn't really my thing either, though.

Is there anything in particular someone would recommend? I can definitely wait 'til BF if there's a hint of any deals going on.

flippedb

Banned
$200

Around that price I'd recommend the HD-25II or the ATH-M50 because they are good value in that price range, but it really comes down to the kind of music you listen to.

I've recently taken up running, and I obviously can't use my ATH-m50s for that (maybe I have an unusually smooth head, I dunno. Ten feet of cord makes it difficult too)) and the buds that came with the iPhone 5 are really showing their flaws now that I'm using them for extended periods of time. So, I'm in the market for some new IEMs.

Based on the information here, I'm looking at the Brainwavz B2 or Sony XBA-3 (something in that <$150 price range, ideally). I really do listen to a wide range of music, so I'm not sure what I would need: hip hop; electro; jazz; folk; static-y, harsh metal and punk music, etc. The last one in that list can make high trebles painful, though. Heavy bass isn't really my thing either, though.

Is there anything in particular someone would recommend? I can definitely wait 'til BF if there's a hint of any deals going on.
See, running will probably fuck up every IEM you try. I would shop around for Adidas branded headphones, which should resist sweat, or even the JayBird BT IEMs, whose lack of cables might prove useful when running.

FoxSpirit

These seem to be the best in that price range that don't require an amp, but after reading some reviews i'm worried that the treble is subdued and they lack clarity/detail comparatively to other models in that range. Would you still recommend the Sony's if I already had a decent amp?
All I will say is that the audio community has a perverse love for treble impact, unnatural as it may be.

A good neutral speaker has no notable treble detail because no instrument has noteable treble detail. It's high, it's maybe even aetheric (glass organ, chimes) but the thing the headphile community covets have nothing to do with natural audio repro. People complain about Sennheiser when they sound almost the most natural of all of the bunch.

Buy them on return policy and try them.

edit: ATH M-50s treble is really really awful. I don't think I have ever heard anything where the treble integrates so badly and sticks out so sharply.

HiResDes

ATH-M50s most overrated can that I still recommend simply because only a few weird people including me find something off about their peakiness

flippedb

Banned
Are the ATH-M50s that bad? The only AT headphones I own are the AD900, which I love, and I tried the M30s once, and they were ok for the price.

paskowitz

I remember there was a topic a while back, but do "5.1/7.1 surround sound" headphones actually produce a surround sound effect?

Is there a noticeable difference between simulated surround sound headphones and actual surround sound headphones?

If surround sound headphones actually do produce a genuine surround effect then continue... if not we are done with this line of questioning.

I have ~$250 to spend on a pair of headphones.

Priority #1 is great sound.
Priority #2 is a good, real, surround sound effect
Priority #2.5 optical in on the base as oppose to USB so I can avoid PS4 incompatibility
Priority #3 it would be great if they were good for games and music
Priority #4 is if they are a gaming headset the mic HAS to be either discrete or removable. No mic is best.
Priority #5 it would be nice if they did not look ridiculous (LEDs, bright colors, etc)
Priority #6 wireless would be nice, but is not absolutely required.

So GAF, suggestions?

HiResDes

No the other ranges of the headphone are good, but yeah the peakiness of the treble is definitely kind of noticeable once you've heard something more natural sounding.

I remember there was a topic a while back, but do "5.1/7.1 surround sound" headphones actually produce a surround sound effect?

Is there a noticeable difference between simulated surround sound headphones and actual surround sound headphones?

If surround sound headphones actually do produce a genuine surround effect then continue... if not we are done with this line of questioning.

I have ~$250 to spend on a pair of headphones.

Priority #1 is great sound.
Priority #2 is a good, real, surround sound effect
Priority #2.5 optical in on the base as oppose to USB so I can avoid PS4 incompatibility
Priority #3 it would be great if they were good for games and music
Priority #4 is if they it is a gaming headset the mic HAS to be either discrete or removable. No mic is best.
Priority #5 it would be nice if they did not look ridiculous (LEDs, bright colors, etc)
Priority #6 wireless would be nice, but is not absolutely required.

So GAF, suggestions?

Is noise isolation a priority?

paskowitz

No the other ranges of the headphone are good, but yeah the peakiness of the treble is definitely kind of noticeable once you've heard something more natural sounding.

Is noise isolation a priority?

Nope.

Indoor use only. I have four really nice speakers (2x Klipsch bookshelf and 2x Athena towers). I use the Athenas in stereo but they are so loud they disturb my roommates and even my neighbors. I do not have the money to buy a high end sub and center speaker to match them... so my next best option is a good pair of headphones.

I'm looking for a pair of closed over the ear headphones, are Sony MDR-XB400s a good buy for $36 shipped or is there a better choice in that price range?

I want ATH-M50s but for casual listening indoors and outdoors at school and home I feel like I can find better things to spend that $64 on until I am a little better off financially. Any chance M50s will see decent discounts on black Friday or do they move units regardless?

HiResDes

I'm looking for a pair of closed over the ear headphones, are Sony MDR-XB400s a good buy for $36 shipped or is there a better choice in that price range?

I want ATH-M50s but for casual listening indoors and outdoors at school and home I feel like I can find better things to spend that $64 on until I am a little better off financially. Any chance M50s will see decent discounts on black Friday or do they move units regardless?

Yep, go with these instead: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MMEI8W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kickz

Best is so subjective. What are you into? What kind of music do you listen to? Do you want something bassy or neutral?

Mostly neutral, but yea I ended up going with Sennheiser HD 280 pro. I have been using Noontec Zoro's for the past year but they recently broke

Mercutio

98% of "I'm looking for closed headphones at a low price" can be solved by purchasing the Sony MDR-7506. They used to cost a lot more than they do now (Around $80) and have absolutely legendary sound quality.

I've worked in 3D for years, and spent a decent chunk of that time in live / post production; you won't see any headphone more frequently in the professional world. There's a really good reason for this: These headphones cannot be killed. Rain, snow, humidity, being stepped on, whatever. They're invincible, and even if something DOES break, you can order any individual replacement part directly from Sony. The packaging includes an assembly guide for just this purpose.

The Sony MDR V6 is the "consumer" version of the same phone, but they don't sound quite as good. Less sweet midrange, a little too much bass.

Either way, they're a million years better than any modern Sony headphone. And I've tried most of them.

I recently got the ATH-M50. Really like them so far. They sound really balanced in sound, not as much bass as I wanted though.

Then again, I don't really have another pair of headphones to compare them too. Just wish I would've read more opinions on them before pulling the trigger. Whatever though, I'm liking them so far.

Also finding them a lot more comfortable than the last pair of Beats I had.

HiResDes

These look like a winner, really appreciate the suggestion man.

No problem man

98% of "I'm looking for closed headphones at a low price" can be solved by purchasing the Sony MDR-7506. They used to cost a lot more than they do now (Around $80) and have absolutely legendary sound quality.

I've worked in 3D for years, and spent a decent chunk of that time in live / post production; you won't see any headphone more frequently in the professional world. There's a really good reason for this: These headphones cannot be killed. Rain, snow, humidity, being stepped on, whatever. They're invincible, and even if something DOES break, you can order any individual replacement part directly from Sony. The packaging includes an assembly guide for just this purpose.

The Sony MDR V6 is the "consumer" version of the same phone, but they don't sound quite as good. Less sweet midrange, a little too much bass.

Either way, they're a million years better than any modern Sony headphone. And I've tried most of them.

While they're still a good value they have a shit ton of competition even at the $50 range nowadays.

Mostly neutral, but yea I ended up going with Sennheiser HD 280 pro. I have been using Noontec Zoro's for the past year but they recently broke

If you're into neutral headphones I think the HM5 rebrands are pretty much the very best value and compare favorable with headphones over $100 including the 280 Pro. If you want to check them out even though you've already bought the Sony's here's where you can buy them: http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1015#4

Mercutio

While they're still a good value they have a shit ton of competition even at the $50 range nowadays.

There are certainly a lot of competitors in the price range, but I don't think anything bests it for neutrality and texture at even double the price. There's a very good reason we use them in production so primarily. Especially given that they're a closed headphone, which tends to be too bassy.

HiResDes

From a monitoring standpoint I definitely get what you're saying, but the treble of the headphone seems to be a bit exaggerated to my ears and can be overly sibilant to more sensitive ears. I think the Jaycars are better because they don't have the high treble peaks.

Drame

Hello headphone-gaf.

Relative of mine is in a need of noice cancelling headphones for her upcoming flight to New Zealand.

What she's looking forward with the headphones are:

- Comfortable to wear. Even for long periods of time.
- Great battery life.
- Great noice cancelling.
- iPhone compability. (Though, this seems like its given nowadays.)

What they will be used to listen to: audio books and mostly classical.

We've been eyeing the Sennheiser PXC 310's which go for 200€ around here, but many reviews have raved about Bose Quietcomfort 15's. All though, those retail for 280€, which is quite bit more than the Senn's. Both of us have no real knowledge about noice cancelling headphones and are wondering if the Bose's cans are worth the extra 80€.

Anyone here with either of the cans that could help us out. Cheers!

HiResDes

The Bose's are purportedly the best, sporting the best comfort and highest level of active noise cancellation. I don't own either of them though, as active noise-cancelling isn't my thing.

Just got the following from a friend (ShotgunShane) at HF:

I'm no longer hot and bothered by the prospect of a (Jerry Harvey) Roxanne universal. Why? The MH1 (not c). I eq 75hz down by 4db and Q of .75. This thing is a diffuse field gem after that eq.

The k3003 is still my favorite but the mh1 and ER-4s fight for the other ear time, leaving my JH13FP lonesome many weeks. So now I've become obsessed with single driver neutralish, high performers. I should be getting an f111 loaner this week. Really looking forward to it.

And listening to them all on just an iPhone 5...

So this journey into flat FR and accuracy has really impacted what I think sounds good and why. For instance, this is how I see my various iems:

Enjoyment of sound (tonality/timbre included):
k3k > mh1 eq'd > ER-4s > jh13

Accuracy (flat FR):
ER-4s > mh1 eq'd > k3k > jh13

Other technicalities (imaging, soundstage, low level detail retrieval):
Jh13 > k3k > ER-4s > mh1 eq'd "

So if Sony really cared, they could repackage the mh1 with premium quality housings, cables, cases, etc and I'd happily pay a few hundred bucks. The cable sucks beyond belief and you get no case. Why is this gem hidden in such an ugly duckling.

Best part? The Sony MH1 (NOT the MH1C!) is only $20 on Amazon ;)

Top Bottom