• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

andylsun

Cool that they are the same - time to rock the neon green.

I have an SE P910 phone in a drawer somewhere, so I can have the full SE music experience (with a 1gb memory stick card)

HiResDes

I am grateful for your suggestion though.

It was a Sony Store display unit. I hooked it up to their Walkman and my iPhone 5. I used an app that plays FLAC files on my iPhone. What would you recommend?

Here's a review comparing the UE6000 and the Sony's if that might be more helpful, but I don't know if the store unit was defective or if their max volume was just set really low...I know firsthand that it's super easy to drive them to loud volumes with a sansa clip though

Big Chungus

Looking for some good IEMs that have the mic/volume controls and are under $100.

Tried looking at the OP but most of the links are broken.

I looked at Beats by Dr.Dre but i've heard to stay away from them.

paskowitz

Another question. Does anyone know how I would send a 5.1/7.1 signal from my PS3 to a theoretically capable headset? Would this be through the PS3's USB? Something tells me that is not possible. Would I have to use optical audio to my receiver and then hook the headphones into my receiver?

From what I can tell, the PS3 does not support multichannel audio output through anything other than the optical and HDMI ports.

terrible

Banned
Another question. Does anyone know how I would send a 5.1/7.1 signal from my PS3 to a theoretically capable headset? Would this be through the PS3's USB? Something tells me that is not possible. Would I have to use optical audio to my receiver and then hook the headphones into my receiver?

From what I can tell, the PS3 does not support multichannel audio output through anything other than the optical and HDMI ports.

Something like the Astro Mixamp should do what you need. It's just virtual surround sound but it does an excellent job with stereo headphones.

paskowitz

Something like the Astro Mixamp should do what you need. It's just virtual surround sound but it does an excellent job with stereo headphones.

So it creates (good) virtual surround sound for any/all stereo headphones?

If yes, which headphones should I pair with them? Overall sound quality for games AND music is the most important thing for me. I do not like headphones with super heavy base like Beats. I like a clear/crisp sound, if lacking a bit of thump.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Guys, I am an ignorant moron when it comes to phones, but I hope you can still help me. A friend of mine who posts here regularly strongly recommended that I purchase a set of the MH1 Ericssons that are apparently hugely underpriced for their quality and have been bought by several people here lately.

Well, I got my pair today, and I have a problem with them that I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere else. Basically, when I first plugged them into my computer, the sound was incredibly muffled and distant; not at all like what I expected. I've experimented with a few different sets of phones lately and know about burn-in time and such, but this was so far from the quality that I expected that I had a hard time believing that this could just be the result of a need to "break in" the phones.

I finally got the idea to see if anything on the little button area was the cause of this, and sure enough, when I hold in the call button on the phones, the sound is unbelievably fantastic, but only when I continually hold in the call button. The second I let go, they go back to sounding terrible again. No matter how I fiddle with the controls, I can't seem to fix this, and the manual doesn't say anything about the call button affecting the quality of the sound from the phones. Furthermore, the volume controls seem not to do anything, and I almost think that the sound is also mono rather than stereo when the call button isn't held down. Is my pair a dud or is there something obvious that I'm missing? They came shipped in a baggy instead of official packaging so I hope that I didn't get hit with bootlegs or factory rejects or anything (if that's even a thing for phones; like I said, I know nothing.)

Thanks for any and all help.

edit: looks like someone on the last page had my problem and it's just a dud pair :/

andylsun

Guys, I am an ignorant moron when it comes to phones, but I hope you can still help me. A friend of mine who posts here regularly strongly recommended that I purchase a set of the MH1 Ericssons that are apparently hugely underpriced for their quality and have been bought by several people here lately.

Well, I got my pair today, and I have a problem with them that I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere else. Basically, when I first plugged them into my computer, the sound was incredibly muffled and distant; not at all like what I expected. I've experimented with a few different sets of phones lately and know about burn-in time and such, but this was so far from the quality that I expected that I had a hard time believing that this could just be the result of a need to "break in" the phones.

I finally got the idea to see if anything on the little button area was the cause of this, and sure enough, when I hold in the call button on the phones, the sound is unbelievably fantastic, but only when I continually hold in the call button. The second I let go, they go back to sounding terrible again. No matter how I fiddle with the controls, I can't seem to fix this, and the manual doesn't say anything about the call button affecting the quality of the sound from the phones. Furthermore, the volume controls seem not to do anything, and I almost think that the sound is also mono rather than stereo when the call button isn't held down. Is my pair a dud or is there something obvious that I'm missing? They came shipped in a baggy instead of official packaging so I hope that I didn't get hit with bootlegs or factory rejects or anything (if that's even a thing for phones; like I said, I know nothing.)

Thanks for any and all help.

edit: looks like someone on the last page had my problem and it's just a dud pair :/

This is normal - use a short headphone extension lead and the sound should be good. The problem is that the MH1 use an old standard for mic and ground, where most recent equipment expects a newer layout.

Find a headphone extension lead (socket - plug, say 3ft) with only 3 connectors (left, right and ground) and that should resolve the problem for you. No need to return.

Geneijin has got the solution here: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=90035366

Seems the phones don't like to be plugged into certain sources

terrible

Banned
So it creates (good) virtual surround sound for any/all stereo headphones?

If yes, which headphones should I pair with them? Overall sound quality for games AND music is the most important thing for me. I do not like headphones with super heavy base like Beats. I like a clear/crisp sound, if lacking a bit of thump.

It seems like the bigger the soundstage the more impressive the virtual surround sound is so I'd keep that in mind otherwise yeah, it'll work well with any pair of headphones as long as they aren't hard to drive.

I've found my Sennheiser HD558s, AD700s, Samson SR850s, and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros all sound great with an Astro Mixamp. The DT990 Pros are bass heavy so you might not want those, and the AD700s have zero bass so I wouldn't recommend those for music either. The 558s and SR850s are what I'd recommend out of what I own with the SR850s being cheaper and probably better value.

fake edit: This guide might help, though it's more geared towards the gaming side than the music side.

Mission

I have looked back through the thread and most of the Bluetooth discussion is for headphones. I am looking for Bluetooth IEMs for my daughter for snowboarding, and given her track record with buds I don't want to overspend on something that might go missing.

I have been looking at the MEElectronics Air-FI Metro and the Plantronics Backbeat Go 2.

Any other recommendations under $100 or reasons why I should avoid either of these?

Or other recommendations I should keep my eye out for with Black Friday coming up?

paskowitz

It seems like the bigger the soundstage the more impressive the virtual surround sound is so I'd keep that in mind otherwise yeah, it'll work well with any pair of headphones as long as they aren't hard to drive.

I've found my Sennheiser HD558s, AD700s, Samson SR850s, and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros all sound great with an Astro Mixamp. The DT990 Pros are bass heavy so you might not want those, and the AD700s have zero bass so I wouldn't recommend those for music either. The 558s and SR850s are what I'd recommend out of what I own with the SR850s being cheaper and probably better value.

fake edit: This guide might help, though it's more geared towards the gaming side than the music side.

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. That link was helpful.

But now I have a new question. Is there an affordable amp that decodes DTS audio into virtual surround sound?

Edit: whoops missed the ps3 solution. I'll still have to investigate how that will work with my media server and MKV files.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This is normal - use a short headphone extension lead and the sound should be good. The problem is that the MH1 use an old standard for mic and ground, where most recent equipment expects a newer layout.

Find a headphone extension lead (socket - plug, say 3ft) with only 3 connectors (left, right and ground) and that should resolve the problem for you. No need to return.

Geneijin has got the solution here: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=90035366

Seems the phones don't like to be plugged into certain sources

Thank you so much for pointing me in the direction of the solution, guys. Geneijin is actually the one who got me to buy them to begin with so I'll just confer with him on an adapter to use for these. So glad I actually get to use them after all; at least when they work they're amazing.

Alucrid

Banned
Sony mh1 is in. This micro driver wunderkind is the real deal Mcsteal. With the bass EQed down, this thing is absolutely astonishing for the price. I'll write up some details after class. Suffice to say, at the moment, I'd put these things over some $400/500 phones I've owned, and even full sized stuff like the Mad Dog. The cable is absolute garbage though, I can't emphasize that enough. I'm gonna look into getting these things recabled.

Was going to come in here and ask for iem gift suggestions, but I see you already have it covered. Just ordered two of these, should be interesting to see how they compare to MH1C/Ck-10s.

bedlamite

Are TMA-1 or Studios a good buy?
I own the TMA-1s, they're great for electronic or pop music but not much else. To be fair, these are DJ headphones and are tuned as such, so if you listen to a lot of vocals, or classical, you'd do better looking elsewhere. The Studios are supposed to be more neutral but I've not had a chance to listen to them.

BTW a portable version of the TMAs are set to drop soon: http://www.aiaiai.dk/store/headphones/tma-1-x

Aizo

Banned
Hello, Headphone GAF!

Is it safe to assume that this is essentially an audiophile thread? I didn't know this existed. I'm going out to get some all right/good but not great headphones hopefully today.

I mostly listen to stuff in 320kbps. Do you all listen to FLAC exclusively? Perhaps I've just never had headphones with the range to fully enjoy FLAC, but 320 has always been good enough for me, especially in terms of hard drive space. I just couldn't have everything that I own in FLAC; I would need many TBs.

Aizo

Banned
I ended up buying headphones! :D
IdrthFB.jpg

1pQuO18.jpg

I also need something more portable from my daily back and forth in the city, and I came across these. Does anyone have any input on them?

Xcellere

Hello, Headphone GAF!

Is it safe to assume that this is essentially an audiophile thread? I didn't know this existed. I'm going out to get some all right/good but not great headphones hopefully today.

I mostly listen to stuff in 320kbps. Do you all listen to FLAC exclusively? Perhaps I've just never had headphones with the range to fully enjoy FLAC, but 320 has always been good enough for me, especially in terms of hard drive space. I just couldn't have everything that I own in FLAC; I would need many TBs.

The better the hardware you have (headphones, DAC, and amp), the more exposed the quality of your tracks will be. If you're using a pair of Beats straight out of an iPhone, you won't notice the difference between lossless and compressed files. But when you're properly set up with a decent set of headphones, a DAC (Digital Audio Converter), and an amp, the more likely you are to hear the differences in quality between lossless and compressed.

You mentioned needing terabytes to store a FLAC collection, and that's not exactly the case unless you have many thousands of FLAC tracks. My collection is 1,800 FLAC tracks, and that adds up to only 56 GB.

Hello, Headphone GAF!

I tend to use ALAC, just because I use my iPhone for my music. Depending on the cans you wear, you may or may not notice a difference between 320 mp3 and a lossless format. For most people though, 320 is fine.

Aizo

Banned
It's not that I can't tell the difference, but more that it is negligible for me considering the space requirements.

You mentioned needing terabytes to store a FLAC collection, and that's not exactly the case unless you have many thousands of FLAC tracks. My collection is 1,800 FLAC tracks, and that adds up to only 56 GB.

I meant that if my whole collection was in FLAC, I would require TBs.

HiResDes

The better the hardware you have (headphones, DAC, and amp), the more exposed the quality of your tracks will be. If you're using a pair of Beats straight out of an iPhone, you won't notice the difference between lossless and compressed files. But when you're properly set up with a decent set of headphones, a DAC (Digital Audio Converter), and an amp, the more likely you are to hear the differences in quality between lossless and compressed.

I'm telling you that most people cannot tell the difference between V0 MP3 and 160kbps AAC and when you have 350,000 tracks the size difference is tremendous.

rtcn63

The recording and mastering of a track will matter infinitely more than the compression when it comes to sound quality, as long as the compression isn't like 64kbps or something, I think. Personally, I probably couldn't tell the difference between 320 and FLAC. Don't care, I keep lossless around for archival and conversion purposes.

The recording and mastering of a track will matter infinitely more than the compression when it comes to sound quality, as long as the compression isn't like 64kbps or something, I think. Personally, I probably couldn't tell the difference between 320 and FLAC. Don't care, I keep lossless around for archival and conversion purposes.

A million times this.

FLAC and HD tracks are a crock of shit IMO. I've got a new Sony F886 Walkman that's capable of playing 24 bit HD tracks and I dunno, I've never noticed any difference between any of it and a well mastered album ripped to 320 Kbps. I mean, maybe you can notice a difference if you've got a DaVinci DAC and cable everything with Nordost I dunno. Just rip your shit to hi bit rate MP3 and conserve your space

yonder

Anyone have any experience with Brainwavz IEMs?

I just need a basic but durable IEM to block out my surroundings while I listen to podcasts and occasional music, and it seems like the Brainwavz Delta would do the job. I've previously gone through a whole bunch of MEEelectronics and Sennheiser IEMs but they've all stopped working in about a year (even though I take good care of them). I wouldn't be opposed to paying a bit more if it meant that the earphones would last longer.

FoxSpirit

Just bought those babies (picture not mine):

1376652570_537067571_brzu6.jpg

Sony MDR-MA300. For under 40 Euro, this is mindblowing stuff. And I really like their timbre, very neutral, natural and an amazing overall performance. Like Sennheiser, only waaaaaay less expensive.

And I really have to sell my M-50 and K-550, those two are such letdowns for me.

rtcn63

Anyone have any experience with Brainwavz IEMs?

I just need a basic but durable IEM to block out my surroundings while I listen to podcasts and occasional music, and it seems like the Brainwavz Delta would do the job. I've previously gone through a whole bunch of MEEelectronics and Sennheiser IEMs but they've all stopped working in about a year (even though I take good care of them). I wouldn't be opposed to paying a bit more if it meant that the earphones would last longer.

If you have bad luck, you may consider paying more to get high-end IEMs with improved durability and that allow user-replaceable cables. Maybe even customs like the Ultimate Ears UE4 or whatever the kids are smokin' these days.

HiResDes

Just bought those babies (picture not mine):

1376652570_537067571_brzu6.jpg

Sony MDR-MA300. For under 40 Euro, this is mindblowing stuff. And I really like their timbre, very neutral, natural and an amazing overall performance. Like Sennheiser, only waaaaaay less expensive.

And I really have to sell my M-50 and K-550, those two are such letdowns for me.

The MA-900 are even better : )

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Bunch of deals from www.razordogaudio.com. Most are current and one noticeable one for Thanksgiving Weekend!

HE-400 $299 from Black Friday-Cyber Monday

Code RAZORDOG20 saves 20% on most items over $249 including HD 600 and HD 650

Beyerdynamic T5P - $500 OFF BRAND NEW with code T5P

20% OFF KEF M500 with code RAZORDOG20

AKG K712 PRO for $375 with code RAZOR712

AKG K550 for $219 with code K550

oh god that HE 400 deal is so tempting!! I have a week to decide

Piecake

I am sure this has been asked before, but this topic is a bit overwhelming since I don't really pay attention to this stuff.

Anyways, what is the best IEM for under 50 bucks? I know, you get what you pay for, but I don't need awesome sound quality. I just want the best I can get for around 50, and if its closer to 30 than 50, well, that is even better.

Thanks!

And how do those compare to the Yuin PK3? I know those are good and cheap, but I think I would prefer the overall design of an IEM more.

HiResDes

I am sure this has been asked before, but this topic is a bit overwhelming since I don't really pay attention to this stuff.

Anyways, what is the best IEM for under 50 bucks? I know, you get what you pay for, but I don't need awesome sound quality. I just want the best I can get for around 50, and if its closer to 30 than 50, well, that is even better.

Thanks!

And how do those compare to the Yuin PK3? I know those are good and cheap, but I think I would prefer the overall design of an IEM more.

Vsonic VSD1, Sony MH1, or Brainwavz Alpha

...All three best the PK3 fairly easy.

cajunator

Banned
My Fischer headphones broke :(

I have FA003s and love them to death but the plastic portion holding the headrest to the earpieces cracked. Is there a way to get replacement parts anywhere?

Top Bottom