• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Jzero

Thinking of buying new over the ear headphones for $199.99 max. I already have closed headphones and kind of want to try open headphones so I'm open to both kinds. I kind of like how the Audio Technica M-50s look. Them being comfortable from the ear cups and the head cushion are a must though.

What would you guys recommend?

P.S. I listen to a bit of everything: Punk, Electronic, Indie, Folk, Pop, Chiptune, Hip-Hop, Rap, Psychedelic, Alternative, Ambient

HiResDes

Thinking of buying new over the ear headphones for $199.99 max. I already have closed headphones and kind of want to try open headphones so I'm open to both kinds. I kind of like how the Audio Technica M-50s look. Them being comfortable from the ear cups and the head cushion are a must though.

What would you guys recommend?

P.S. I listen to a bit of everything: Punk, Electronic, Indie, Folk, Pop, Chiptune, Hip-Hop, Rap, Psychedelic, Alternative, Ambient

I'd go with the Sony MDR-1R at that pricepoint or the Logitech UE6000.

If you want to go open the Sony MDR-MA900 are excellent but they are five bucks over your pricepoint.

RBH

I am pretty clueless about headphones, so I'm turning to you guys for help.

I'm interested in getting some closed headphones to use in the library while studying. It's important for there to not be any significant sound leakage since I spend the majority of my days in the library. I listen to all types of music and jump around from rock to piano to rap to pop. I'm nowhere close to being an audiophile or anything like that. My price range is up to $250 at the very max.

adg1034

Des-

ATH-AD700 -> Philips Fidelio X1? I can get them used for ~$220, but the upcoming $299 HE-400 is making me wonder if I should wait...

HiResDes

Des-

ATH-AD700 -> Philips Fidelio X1? I can get them used for ~$220, but the upcoming $299 HE-400 is making me wonder if I should wait...

If you're asking me if the AD700 are better than the X1, hell no!

...299 HE-400 is a steal, and 20% off the KEFM500 is also a steal.

I'm interested in getting some closed headphones to use in the library while studying. It's important for there to not be any significant sound leakage since I spend the majority of my days in the library. I listen to all types of music and jump around from rock to piano to rap to pop. I'm nowhere close to being an audiophile or anything like that. My price range is up to $250 at the very max.
Honestly you should have jumped on those Amperiors when they were on sale for $120. But since they're back up in price I'd recommend the Soundmagic HP100.

JYabbz

Neo Member
Current cans - Koss Portopro, Koss Pro DJ100, V-Moda M-80, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, Grado SR225i, Shure SE215

Source - iPod Video 5.5 via AAC 256kbps

Planning to purchase - V-Moda M-100, Sennheiser HD598, and maybe AKG Q701 (Made in China now :( )

Any thoughts on the Fiio E17? Will it be able to power the AKG Q701, they are around 60-80 ohm?

Here is my choice either to get a used E17 and the Q701 or get a used Schiit Magni and Modi stack for under $200 for home use and try to get a used Fiio E11 for portable use but I would have to skip getting the Q701 for a while.

Thoughts on both the HD 598 and Q701? Would it be ridiculous to get both?

Sorry, new to the audio world.

HiResDes

Yes the Q701 IMO are pretty much all around better than the 598, and the E17 would be more than enough to power the AKG's, which sound pretty darn good without any amping whatsoever.

JYabbz

Neo Member

Pretty generic recommendation would be ATH-M50s (straight cord). I bought them a month ago and it is a pretty decent headphone that is built pretty well and provides enough bass for my EDM needs. I was able to snag mine for $115 through Guitar Center via an Amazon price match and pretty happy for what I paid. Looking back at it, I wouldn't have paid more than that considering the stiff competition in the $200 and under category.

Another headphone that I was pleasantly surprised with is the Koss Pro DJ100 which is on sale for $40 on Amazon which is great for the price. Only problem is that it is not a bass heavy headphone and the coiled cable is a bit heavy for portable use but for library use that might not be a problem. For the price, it is a steal IMO.

Another alternative for you might be the UE6000 which is on sale for $100 on Tigerdirect last time I check. Provides noise cancelling and I heard provides good bass for the genres you listed. Once in a while they go for around $100-150 on Amazon. Only negative is that the ear cups cannot be changed or replaced.

Check out the Koss PortaPro, they sell for under $40 on Amazon and they sound amazing for a portable set of headphones. Plus Koss has a lifetime warranty for all their headphones, so just send them back if they break.

Hope that helps.

HiResDes

UE6000 sound great, but will leak a bit more than the others without the active noise-canceling feature on, and with it on they don't sound quite as good.

If he wants to save money, the Jaycar (HM5 Rebrands) would also be a really great value.

JYabbz

Neo Member
Yes the Q701 IMO are pretty much all around better than the 598, and the E17 would be more than enough to power the AKG's, which sound pretty darn good without any amping whatsoever.

Any thoughts on Schiit Magni Modi stack? Its pretty affordable @ $200?

Have you tried the new AKG Q701? I read a review that they are made in China now and wondering if their quality has suffered?

HiResDes

Negative on both accounts, but Schiit has such a great reputation that that sounds like a great buy. I guess I would be a bit weary of the Q702. You should check out the Sony MDR-MA900 as well!

JYabbz

Neo Member
Negative on both accounts, but Schiit has such a great reputation that that sounds like a great buy. I guess I would be a bit weary of the Q702. You should check out the Sony MDR-MA900 as well!

Thanks I'll check them out. Any thoughts on them compared to the 2 I listed?

HiResDes what headphones are you rocking, source, amp, dac? Do you own the Koss Pro DJ100 and how did you recable them?

HiResDes

I'm still mainly rocking Fischer FA-011, because they are the perfect headphones for me, A bit flawed with a bit of a V-shape to their sound...But that's what I like. I've sold a bunch of headphones taking minor losses and sometimes making a few dollars. I've had the M50 (which I now think are a bit overrated), the DJ100, the DT770 (found the FA-011 to be an upgrade to them. Now the only other headphones I have are the Pioneer HDJ2000 which I got during the sale, and I recently bought the Sony MDR-MA900 for my girlfriend (though I get to use them time to time). I sold my Hifiman EF2A and bought an upgraded version of the Aune T1 mostly because of looks. I think it's a bit warmer than the Hifiman EF2A and though I enjoy the sound a tad more it runs a bit hotter than the EF2A so I feel it isn't quite as well-built (slight remorse).

I'm probably going to sell everything at some point and look to start over with the KEFM500.

Oh and I have too many budget priced IEMs to name, pretty much every FOTM from headfi.

The Sony's are fantastic, sporting the best midrange I've ever heard, maybe even besting the K701 from what I remember. Sometimes they make me question whether or not I truly like V-curved headphones, and I feel as though I should force her to trade.

P.S. - Fuck I forgot about the KRK's I had for a little while though I traded them for some video games, because I didn't need them at the time. Regret that decision too, as I can't stand COD anymore.

RBH

If you're asking me if the AD700 are better than the X1, hell no!

...299 HE-400 is a steal, and 20% off the KEFM500 is also a steal.

Honestly you should have jumped on those Amperiors when they were on sale for $120. But since they're back up in price I'd recommend the Soundmagic HP100.

Pretty generic recommendation would be ATH-M50s (straight cord). I bought them a month ago and it is a pretty decent headphone that is built pretty well and provides enough bass for my EDM needs. I was able to snag mine for $115 through Guitar Center via an Amazon price match and pretty happy for what I paid. Looking back at it, I wouldn't have paid more than that considering the stiff competition in the $200 and under category.

Another headphone that I was pleasantly surprised with is the Koss Pro DJ100 which is on sale for $40 on Amazon which is great for the price. Only problem is that it is not a bass heavy headphone and the coiled cable is a bit heavy for portable use but for library use that might not be a problem. For the price, it is a steal IMO.

Another alternative for you might be the UE6000 which is on sale for $100 on Tigerdirect last time I check. Provides noise cancelling and I heard provides good bass for the genres you listed. Once in a while they go for around $100-150 on Amazon. Only negative is that the ear cups cannot be changed or replaced.

Check out the Koss PortaPro, they sell for under $40 on Amazon and they sound amazing for a portable set of headphones. Plus Koss has a lifetime warranty for all their headphones, so just send them back if they break.

Hope that helps.

UE6000 sound great, but will leak a bit more than the others without the active noise-canceling feature on, and with it on they don't sound quite as good.

If he wants to save money, the Jaycar (HM5 Rebrands) would also be a really great value.
Thanks for the help!

Jzero

I'd go with the Sony MDR-1R at that pricepoint

If you want to go open the Sony MDR-MA900 are excellent but they are five bucks over your pricepoint.
Thanks broseph. Hopefully one of those goes on sale for Black Friday.
I'm leaning towards the MDR-1R just because of the looks but if the MDR-MA900 are cheaper on BF I'll get those.

By the way HiResDes what's so overrated about the AT-M50s?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
where was this deal?

Sennheiser's main site. They fucked up and a coupon that was only supposed to go to a couple of clients got released and was posted online. The coupon allowed you to bring the headphones to $320 but another coupon was available that took it down to $270.

Xcellere

Sennheiser's main site. They fucked up and a coupon that was only supposed to go to a couple of clients got released and was posted online. The coupon allowed you to bring the headphones to $320 but another coupon was available that took it down to $270.

I found a guy in San Fran that is willing to sell his extra pair of 650s that he got during the deal, I just need someone to pick them up from him as he won't ship.

terrible

Banned
If there are any Canadians reading this Sennheiser HD598s are on sale for $140 at Amazon right now. The sale is only on for another 18 hours or so. I don't need them otherwise I'd jump on this since it's the cheapest I've personally ever seen in Canada.

[edit] Oh, apparently it just sold out. That was quick. Sorry!

HiResDes

I'm leaning towards the MDR-1R just because of the looks but if the MDR-MA900 are cheaper on BF I'll get those.

Nothing truly wrong with the headphone, but I just found them to be a bit middling in each sound spectrum. The bass is present, but it's not very exciting to me. The treble is peaky, the midrange is good but the headphone just sits in such a boring range for me. It's warm, but not super warm. Headphones that are somewhat cold and analytical don't bore me because they occupy such a different space than most of the headphones that I own, but headphones that are just kinda warm with pretty decent bass and weird treble just sound like watered down versions of better headphones at this point for me.

JYabbz

Neo Member
Thoughts on the HD 598 any pros and cons? I really like the look and the affordable price.

Also the pros and cons on the Q701?

I'm planning on greeting both, are they too similar? Also own the SR225i.

HiResDes

Thoughts on the HD 598 any pros and cons? I really like the look and the affordable price.

Also the pros and cons on the Q701?

I'm planning on greeting both, are they too similar? Also own the SR225i.

Here's a good review:

The HD-598 and Q701 are two of my favorites.

The HD-598 is slightly smoother sounding than the Q701 and more forgiving of crappy recordings. The Q701 is fairly forgiving, but not as much as the HD-598. The HD-598 can actually tame some harsh recordings, but very slightly. They can still annoy me.

Id say the HD-598 has more bass impact and the bass on the Q701 just sounds a bit different. The Q701 definitely has more treble, but it's still smooth unlike the K702.

To my ears, the HD-598 probably has the larger soundstage, but this varies and I haven't done any side by side comparisons. I think the Q701 has the better and more accurate soundstage though.

Now the mids...the HD-598 mids seem warmer, slightly fuller sounding and more textured at times. This makes them so addicting to listen to. Unfortunately the HD-598 loses out on sound clarity a bit to the Q701. Q701 also has that clearer sound with more detail. I've found the HD-598 very detailed, but it's not overkilll. I actually would rank it above the HD-650 and HD-600 in this area.

With the Q701 and HD-598 you can't go wrong with either. I'd say there is no winner and they're both good. That's why I kept both. I use both about equally. HD-598 is nice because it actually sounds good from even a Clip (don't ask me how!)

BTW I don't think the Q701 sounds the same as the K702. It's best to try them both out before saying this. Some will and some won't hear a difference. I just know that the K702's treble is really bothersome for me, but on the Q701 I have, it's not a problem. I actually find the Q701 much warmer than the K702 too. Mids are much fuller sounding. Mids on the K702 felt a bit lean for some reason. Same amp and everything.

...I think they're too similar sounding to get both. I also think I like the Sony MA900s better than both, but I'm weird.

JYabbz

Neo Member
Thanks man, I think I leaning toward getting both with your review. I'm not sold on the sony cans yet. I need the green q701 in my life and they are pretty cheap right now. The beige hd 598 look great as well and the hd 558 were comfortable so hopefully the hd 598 are as well.

Thoughts on the b&w p7 and sennheiser momentum? They both look great but the price is up there as well

terrible

Banned
Must've been a mistake, they are back to CDN$ 252.

It wasn't a mistake, it was just a lightning deal. It had a countdown timer so I thought it was just time based but they limited the amount that could be sold at that price too and it sold out really fast. Sorry! That was a really nice price for the 598s in Canada.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Is there anything like the Sennheiser CX300 with a symmetric cable? I'm trying to get the CX310 where I live to no avail, I need something very light that fit nicely into the ear, any input would be very welcome.

3N16MA

Banned

You can pick up the UE 6000 for $80 on Black Friday at TigerDirect. Really hard to beat them at that price point.

Jzero

You can pick up the UE 6000 for $80 on Black Friday at TigerDirect. Really hard to beat them at that price point.

Lawd, that sounds like a great freaking deal. I wish they made red accented ones.

Edit: lame those are store prices, i only buy online.

3N16MA

Banned
Lawd, that sounds like a great freaking deal. I wish they made red accented ones.

Edit: lame those are store prices, i only buy online.

They might be online too as TigerDirect had them at that price maybe a week ago. Wish I would have seen that as I would have picked up a pair at that price.

Amazon has it for $100 right now which is still a great deal and no tax depending on where you live.

hi
coming from PC thread

i've $20 budget to buy a headphone , i'll buy mic separately cause in this price range the mics aren't that good especially in noise cancellation

i prefer over the ear, but when i search some of them looks like on the ear, i dont know if i'm mistaken or the search is

here are my choices:

Behringer HPX2000
www.amazon.com/dp/B000IKWBC2

Behringer HPS3000
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z82XA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sennheiser HD201
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XJSQC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

JVC HA-V570
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002I5RI0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sony MDRZX100
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WODP20/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sony MDRZX300
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RKVXXM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

what's the best/worst between them? or at least if someone can arrange it from best to worst

thanks in advance

Jzero

hi
coming from PC thread

i've $20 budget to buy a headphone , i'll buy mic separately cause in this price range the mics aren't that good especially in noise cancellation

i prefer over the ear, but when i search some of them looks like on the ear, i dont know if i'm mistaken or the search is

here are my choices:

what's the best/worst between them? or at least if someone can arrange it from best to worst

thanks in advance

I had the 201's and they were not comfortable.

^
really?
too bad, it was the highest candidate out there :(

Well yea, but you can't expect much for $20.

JYabbz

Neo Member
I just opened my new Grado SR225i and the right earcup is out. I tried wiggling the cord and changing sources but no dice. Luckily Crutchfield is sending me a replacement before I send out the defective ones out. Hopefully its not my 1/8 to 1/4 adapter that I got from guitar center.

But for the brief time I listened to the left earcup, I really digged the sound and liked the open air headphone style. Materials did feel a little cheap but the sound was good.

Really can't wait to get my replacement pair.

Top Bottom