• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Eanan

Heads up; all sennheiser momentum on ear colours are £95 today on Amazon uk for deal of the day. Excellent headpohnes for the price.

Suggestions for best running earphones? Most reviews suggest the Bose SIE2 headphones, but I'm looking to spend less than $100.

I use the Meelectronics M6, under $20 on Amazon and have Comply tips on them. Really decent sound for the price and haven't broken on me after about a year of use.

bob page

What are the best low profile over the ear/on ear headphones for less than $100? I have a narrow head so the most recommended Sony/AT sets look absurd on me.

Gila

Heads up; all sennheiser momentum on ear colours are £95 today on Amazon uk for deal of the day. Excellent headpohnes for the price.

How do these compare to V-Moda Crossfade LP?

How is the sound leakage / noise isolation on the senns?

Maddrical

Hi guys, I've been rocking my Denon AH-D5000s now for a couple of years and the pads are beginning to wear. I'm struggling to find a good replacement, a quick google mentioned a brand called JMoney or J$ but I can't find anything in the results. Any ideas? I'd really like to replace the pads as the headphones themselves are mint and I love them.

HiResDes

What are the best low profile over the ear/on ear headphones for less than $100? I have a narrow head so the most recommended Sony/AT sets look absurd on me.
I really don't know how your narrow head affects comfort. What are low profile headphones? What's a more specific description, seems vague

HiResDes

The V-Moda LPs probably isolate better than the on-ear Momentums, but I'd give the edge in overall sound quality to the Momentums, which are also V-shaped but have greater clarity.

bob page

I really don't know how your narrow head affects comfort. What are low profile headphones? What's a more specific description, seems vague

Solo HDs & SOL Republic sets tend to look better on me because they're smaller & have less padding- not really referring to comfort, they just typically make my head look gigantic.

Fox1304

Solo HDs & SOL Republic sets tend to look better on me because they're smaller & have less padding- not really referring to comfort, they just typically make my head look gigantic.

I have a AKG K845BT, and found that they keep quite low on the head, they look big when seen, but when on the head they follow the curve really close and don't really stand out.

HiResDes

Yeah I'm the worst one to ask about headphones on pure aesthetics, I think the Solo HDs are garbage and the Republics sound like 30 dollar headphones.

Maybe some Phiaton MS400 or House of Marley Exodus?

McHuj

I love my ATH-M50's sound, but more and more I am finding them to be uncomfortable.

Any recommendations for something similar, but that's more comfortable? It's gotta be closed and over the ear.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
My Carbo Tenore came in last night. Initial impressions are that it's pretty damned neutral. Might be a hint of sparkly treble, but that might work itself out as I break them in? I need to A/B test these with my usual cans. So far, I'm pretty happy with them. They fit well, they're comfortable, the sound isolation is pretty good and they sound great for an alternate travel pair. $60 is a great price too.

My only concern is the build quality, as the cable seems pretty flimsy, but for the price, I can afford to replace these down the line if I need to.

I'll report back once I try them out on my flight to Seattle in a week and a half. That'll be a better test of the sound isolation, and they should be broken in by then.

I am hoping somebody here can help a fellow gaffer out. I bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A700X a couple of years ago and several month ago the cable started to act up. I had to move the cable end at a certain angle in order to hear audio. Now it no longer works. Since this cable is not removable is there any way I can fix it? I would hate to throw away these great cans.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Edit: I did try to google some answers but no luck. Not sure if I didn't use the correct keywords or not much people are having issues with their ATH-A700Xs.

HiResDes

Recabling is possible, but it's not exactly simple. If you have a headfi account you could ask there, but you're probably looking at $50 just to fix them.

Zelda

Banned
i need some good headphones for using at home, don't care if they're open or closed

i listen to every kind of music (mostly rap/ hip-hop) and play games, watch movies.

i want something comfy under 350 bucks

HiResDes

i need some good headphones for using at home, don't care if they're open or closed

i listen to every kind of music (mostly rap/ hip-hop) and play games, watch movies.

i want something comfy under 350 bucks
I'd recommend the Fidelio X1 or, Nad Viso hp50 unamped. If you want to save some money the JVC S680s are an incredible value.

My Carbo Tenore came in last night. Initial impressions are that it's pretty damned neutral. Might be a hint of sparkly treble, but that might work itself out as I break them in? I need to A/B test these with my usual cans. So far, I'm pretty happy with them. They fit well, they're comfortable, the sound isolation is pretty good and they sound great for an alternate travel pair. $60 is a great price too.

My only concern is the build quality, as the cable seems pretty flimsy, but for the price, I can afford to replace these down the line if I need to.

I'll report back once I try them out on my flight to Seattle in a week and a half. That'll be a better test of the sound isolation, and they should be broken in by then.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. The good ones are very linear from at least 20 Hz. to 10 kHz, with extension to 20 khz. I had two friends confirm via test tones and they could hear up to 18.5 kHz before their hearing tapped out. The cable is actually more than decent IMO, it's nice and smooth and exhibits almost no memory or noise, I don't foresee it being troublesome to be honest since it's terminated with a right angle plug.

I am hoping somebody here can help a fellow gaffer out. I bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A700X a couple of years ago and several month ago the cable started to act up. I had to move the cable end at a certain angle in order to hear audio. Now it no longer works. Since this cable is not removable is there any way I can fix it? I would hate to throw away these great cans.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Edit: I did try to google some answers but no luck. Not sure if I didn't use the correct keywords or not much people are having issues with their ATH-A700Xs.

You should look into BTG audio. Brian Goto offers pretty affordable recabling service and his workmanship and materials are great

The_Poet

Banned
I got a pair of X1's in near mint (I saw no scratches and the pads were in perfect condition) off Amazon warehouse for £140.

They are pretty rad, and the boompro I got works a treat too. Its not exactly night and day between these and the corsair 1500's I was using before. But its certainly a noticeable improvement.

They are crazy comfortable too.

HiResDes

I'll take a look. Do you have a pair? Do the leak sound?

I turned a friend onto them and got to listen to them for a bit. Sound leakage is pretty good, not quite as good as the M50, but close. I found them to be a bit more comfortable than the M50 because of the reduced clamping force, though the pads aren't super plush and you'll still want to take a break from them after a couple of hours or so, which I'd say is the case for 90 percent of closed headphones.

The mids are slightly more recessed than the M50, but the bass quantity and quality is even greater and the highs are more extended without being as peaky as the M50. I don't really believe in burn-in, but apparently they get even better over time. I liked them better than the M50 just on first listen so that'd be amazing if true.

McHuj

I turned a friend onto them and got to listen to them for a bit. Sound leakage is pretty good, not quite as good as the M50, but close. I found them to be a bit more comfortable than the M50 because of the reduced clamping force, though the pads aren't super plush and you'll still want to take a break from them after a couple of hours or so, which I'd say is the case for 90 percent of closed headphones.

Thanks. The clamping force is my main issue with the M50's.

Rktk

I love my ATH-M50's sound, but more and more I am finding them to be uncomfortable.

Any recommendations for something similar, but that's more comfortable? It's gotta be closed and over the ear.
Have a pair of M50X's being delivered tomorrow, really excited as they seem perfect for my commute and general use, the removable cable is a big plus for me on the refresh.

I do have a big head though so may look at this modification people are talking about. I almost got the AKG K550s which supposedly sound a bit better, are closed back and over the ear, very comfortable. Very well reviewed and a good price on Amazon. Only thing is that they are quite large so either you're happy taking them out or they are for the home.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Are there any good foam tips for the Carbo Tenores? Digging them so far but I never quite get a good comfortable seal with the silicone tips.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Just figure out which Complys fit. Should be to Google fu it.

Beautiful. Thanks.

One last question. I currently send my lossless music from iTunes to my (Airplay) receiver, and then run a long cable from there. Would I gain anything audio quality wise by getting something like the DragonFly and skipping my receiver?

I'm currently on the hunt for decent cans that aren't excessively expensive, but willing to pay for a good sound space. Will be used heavily for video editing (and thus audio editing) as well as for gaming, so may end up getting a V-MODA boom or something.

I purchased and then promptly returned the Astro A-40 with Mixamp Pro as they were barely a step above the cheap Razer Carcharias I picked up on Woot a while back. My Sony studio cans were stolen on a student film-set over a year ago and I'm getting real tired of the Razer's (lack of) sound quality.

Currently thinking about the Sony MDR10R (possibly even the BT model) or the V-MODA M100, though there seem to be a lot of brands I've not had any experience with and the boom-mic option is pretty interesting. I definitely want over-ear, and have a big head :)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Beautiful. Thanks.

One last question. I currently send my lossless music from iTunes to my (Airplay) receiver, and then run a long cable from there. Would I gain anything audio quality wise by getting something like the DragonFly and skipping my receiver?

Airplay streams at CD quality level (16/44). So unless your music is higher res than that then it's fine.

HiResDes

I'm currently on the hunt for decent cans that aren't excessively expensive, but willing to pay for a good sound space. Will be used heavily for video editing (and thus audio editing) as well as for gaming, so may end up getting a V-MODA boom or something.

I purchased and then promptly returned the Astro A-40 with Mixamp Pro as they were barely a step above the cheap Razer Carcharias I picked up on Woot a while back. My Sony studio cans were stolen on a student film-set over a year ago and I'm getting real tired of the Razer's (lack of) sound quality.

Currently thinking about the Sony MDR10R (possibly even the BT model) or the V-MODA M100, though there seem to be a lot of brands I've not had any experience with and the boom-mic option is pretty interesting. I definitely want over-ear, and have a big head :)
Nad viso hp50

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
So about 6 or 7 months ago I bought the Q701s. I am liking them a lot. Currently running them out of a uDac. I wonder if it's worth upgrading this, or if it will make any significant difference.

Ambitious

Well, apparently I've lost my MEElectronics A161P earphones. Or rather misplaced, as I'm way too careful with my stuff to lose anything. But I've looked everywhere, so...

I need new earphones for my iPhone. I love many genres, but primarily I listen to Metal and Rock. My budget's 150€ (200$ including tax).

The list in the OP appears to be out-of-date. Besides, most of the earphones aren't available here anyway. I've picked the following four candidates:

• KEF M200 - 200€
  • Hifiman RE400 - 100€
  • RHA MA750 - 90€
  • MEElectronics A161P - 90€ (yes, I'd buy them again)
For some reason, the KEFs are more expensive here. Over my budget, actually, but I'd still buy them if they were really, really worth it. Would I even notice a difference to the A161Ps, or would I need trained ears?

I'm going to read a few reviews about those four, but I'd really appreciate a bit of advice here.

Talon

Marco Arment is putting together a mega review of $200-$400 closed-back headphones. Should be interesting to read - as subjective as these things are.

I think his favorite overall are Beyerdynamic t90s so that puts things in perspective.

HiResDes

Well, apparently I've lost my MEElectronics A161P earphones. Or rather misplaced, as I'm way too careful with my stuff to lose anything. But I've looked everywhere, so...

I need new earphones for my iPhone. I love many genres, but primarily I listen to Metal and Rock. My budget's 150€ (200$ including tax).

The list in the OP appears to be out-of-date. Besides, most of the earphones aren't available here anyway. I've picked the following four candidates:

• KEF M200 - 200€
  • Hifiman RE400 - 100€
  • RHA MA750 - 90€
  • MEElectronics A161P - 90€ (yes, I'd buy them again)
For some reason, the KEFs are more expensive here. Over my budget, actually, but I'd still buy them if they were really, really worth it. Would I even notice a difference to the A161Ps, or would I need trained ears?

I'm going to read a few reviews about those four, but I'd really appreciate a bit of advice here.
LEND ME UR EARS offers free shipping to all parts of world! Use their site, they have the best options there.

These all would be great choices:

Dunu DN-1000
Vsonic VC1000
Ostry KC06A
Havi B3 Pro I

And if you can get your hands on the Zero Audio Tenore, which might actually be the very best value, though I'd really steer you towards the VC1000 or Dunu DN-1000 or RHA based on build quality.

aznpxdd

So I recently picked up the Vivo XE800's (basically VSonic GR07 MK4) for $48 shipped (usually retail for $100) in China and its been blowing my mind how it sounds for the price.

I've been pairing it with my DX50 + E12 & DX90 and I gotta say, sonically, these babies are competitive with IEM's around the $200 range. Nice sound stage, forwarding mids, and the bass is pretty decent too. The build quality is excellent, fit and isolation is awesome due to the rotating/adjustable nozzles.

As someone who usually listens from a $1000 IEM, these XE800's are extremely impressive for the price.

HiResDes

So I recently picked up the Vivo XE800's (basically VSonic GR07 MK4) for $48 shipped (usually retail for $100) in China and its been blowing my mind how it sounds for the price.

I've been pairing it with my DX50 + E12 & DX90 and I gotta say, sonically, these babies are competitive with IEM's around the $200 range. Nice sound stage, forwarding mids, and the bass is pretty decent too. The build quality is excellent, fit and isolation is awesome due to the rotating/adjustable nozzles.

As someone who usually listens from a $1000 IEM, these XE800's are extremely impressive for the price.
Very very interesting gonna have to check them out

Okay so my VSD1s are finally broken beyond any repair and I'm looking for something new in a similar price range. Not sure if they're directly comparable but I'm currently trying to decide between the VSD3S and the Tenore since I've heard good things about both and both are in my budget. I listen to most genres, mostly hip hop/electronic these days but I'm not a basshead or anything.

Top Bottom