• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

nin1000

Banned
hi there fellow gaffers !
I have been using the Senheiser 280 PRO headphones for over a year now and i have been quite happy with them. I used them on the run with the Fiio 11 and the sound was good.
I just wanted to know if you guys could help me out in finding an AMP or DAC for using those headphones on my computer ( something between 80-100€) as i am using only my motherbord sound.

Will i hear a difference or should i get new headphones for that ?
Thank you guys in adance :)

HiResDes

hi there fellow gaffers !
I have been using the Senheiser 280 PRO headphones for over a year now and i have been quite happy with them. I used them on the run with the Fiio 11 and the sound was good.
I just wanted to know if you guys could help me out in finding an AMP or DAC for using those headphones on my computer ( something between 80-100€) as i am using only my motherbord sound.

Will i hear a difference or should i get new headphones for that ?
Thank you guys in adance :)
I don't think you'd notice much of a difference with those particular headphones.

HiResDes

i think i might try something fun ! i am mainly listening to electronical and classical music.
Hmm for classical you definitely want something balanced, again I'm gonna have to recommend the Zero Audio Tenore once again. Ostry KC06a would be my second pick.

Alright, the pair of Bose earbuds I've had for six years finally died on me today. Looking for another pair around $100 (can be a little higher, but that's the price range). Thinking Beyerdynamic DX160 but would like some thoughts if anyone owns a pair. Open to other suggestions as well.

Ambitious

I finally got my Dunu's. My first impression isn't good, unfortunately.
Because of the velvet case inside, smalls hairs are everywhere. It's disgusting. At least the other tips are plastic-wrapped.

As for the sound: I don't even have time to test them right now. I'll comment on that later today.

IMG_0745.jpg

HiResDes

I finally got my Dunu's. My first impression isn't good, unfortunately.
Because of the velvet case inside, smalls hairs are everywhere. It's disgusting. At least the other tips are plastic-wrapped.

As for the sound: I don't even have time to test them right now. I'll comment on that later today.

IMG_0745.jpg
Take a little bit of tape and press it against them, should be an easy fix. The sound is the most important part I hope anyway, lol

Ambitious

Take a little bit of tape and press it against them, should be an easy fix. The sound is the most important part I hope anyway, lol

Sure is. And it's amazing. I'm still trying to find the perfect tips, but the ones I've got right now seem to be fine. Need to listen to a few more tracks.

Thank you again!

andylsun

You picked a great set to start you on the adventure.

Next comes, "Hmm I wonder what the good $200 headphones sound like."

Sennheiser HD25-I II are a good pair of $200 headphones. If you are staying closed back on ear, you're pretty much there.

Of course, now you'll try HD600's and need a pair of those as well. Then some IEM's, and now you're on the slippery slope.

HiResDes

Sennheiser HD25-I II are a good pair of $200 headphones. If you are staying closed back on ear, you're pretty much there.

Of course, now you'll try HD600's and need a pair of those as well. Then some IEM's, and now you're on the slippery slope.
I'd be tempted to get Amperior instead because of the aesthetics and the fact they're gonna be retired soon.

Mistle

ryIL6o5.jpg

These sound absolutely amazing. I'm literally blown away right now. Plus, they're so extremely comfortable. Had them on for 2 hrs with absolutely no annoyance.

Sennheiser Momentum, over ear, for those curious. Upgraded from both ATH-M50s and V-Moda M80s. I love both of those headphones, but I wanted something to take on the role of both home and portable. These did the job, even better than I expected.

Any genre I throw at them sounds perfect (to me).

McHuj

Sennheiser Momentum, over ear, for those curious. Upgraded from both ATH-M50s and V-Moda M80s. I love both of those headphones, but I wanted something to take on the role of both home and portable. These did the job, even better than I expected.

Any genre I throw at them sounds perfect (to me).

I've been looking at those. I tried them on in store and they seem really comfortable. Anything you can specifically point out vs the M50's?

I ended up fixing a comfort issue on my M50's (turns out the headband hinge had a crack and wasn't clamping appropriately so I had to replace the headband), but I'm still open to upgrading.

BPoole

I'm interested in buying some new earbuds. I previously had the Klipsch Image S3s, and thought they were pretty solid. MY main purpose for these will be fore listening to rock music on Sirius XM over my desk top. I just got a desk job and don't want regular headphones since they will mess up my hair (lol)

One thing that might be a bit weird is that I need a pretty long wire. My computer is under the desk it will take about 4 or 5 feet of cord to reach my ears, so I would like enough room to be able to move my head around without yanking them from my ears. Price range is $50. I browsed through the OP and nothing jumped out at me and many of the brands on there I have no experience with.

Mistle

I've been looking at those. I tried them on in store and they seem really comfortable. Anything you can specifically point out vs the M50's?

I ended up fixing a comfort issue on my M50's (turns out the headband hinge had a crack and wasn't clamping appropriately so I had to replace the headband), but I'm still open to upgrading.
What I'm noticing is they have neutral mids and smooth highs. The M50s are great, but the lack of mids always kind of annoyed me, considering I listen to a lot of guitar and vocal dominant music. I think the M50s have a bit of a v-shape curve, while these are more neutral. Keep in mind I haven't actually researched this lol.

If you like the M50s bass you needn't worry, while the Momentums have a great clean neutral sound, the bass is still very fun and powerful.

What do you guys use for gaming? Sorry I'm not knowledgable on the subject, but I want something that versatile enough for gaming, listening to music, and watching television.

Alucrid

Banned
Was looking for a cheap pair of headphones with a mic to use with my PS4. Was going to buy some steelseries but saw the head-fi thread updated with the Xiaomi Piston 2s. Gotta say, for $25 they're some of the best headphones for your buck.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

I simply don't consider the HD25 to be a good $200 buy, when the over ear Monentum is sitting there at $250. I see them as a $150 buy, tops.

HiResDes

Can that be fixed via settings?
You could EQ them to hell and amplify their low range a bit, but then you'd also destroy the great balance that makes the headphones special.

Amperior are a good alternative to Momentum and they're just basically a slightly upgraded version of the HD25. For rock and metal, both the HD25 and Amperior definitely rock out harder.

Canon

Banned
I bought the Sennheiser HD 598 to replace a broken Shure 440 with 840 ear pads. Not really sure if I want to keep them, hopefully Amazon allows me to return.

Complaints (or general thoughts)

-- I knew these were open cans, but somehow it seems to make outside noise even worse than with them off, if that's possible. I can hear my computer fan and typing on the keyboard even more clearly with these on. I live in a relatively noisy apartment building but even with almost complete silence the sound still leaks in, which I'm not used to --- or liking.

-- It sounds very muted. Very quiet. There's no punch to anything, it's just flat, but not in the good way because they're not closed, so it's just flat sound all around you instead of for critical listening.

-- They aren't that comfortable for me. I have a Bose AE 2 (I got them really cheap, so I don't care if they're overpriced), and it's hard to go to these. And while the sound is better on 598 (more detailed), I think I prefer closed headphones so I can concentrate on the sound.

-- In the proper conditions and with high quality music (certain genres), they sound great. I was listening to a Tim Skold record which I didn't care for at all on other headphones, but it sounded really good on these because of how much lost detail there was. But this isn't apparent if you have any noise in the room.

-- Not liking the velour ear pads, just personal preference.

-- Shure 440 are way more exciting, although more fatiguing -- and a little more uncomfortable. Still they were cheaper and when they weren't broken they sounded pretty good, and for half if not 1/3 the price.

Maybe I need to give it more time (had these for 3 days). I know I like them more now than I did 3 days ago, in which my impression was almost all negative. But I'm leaning towards returning these for the M50's, although I hear they aren't as comfortable.

HiResDes

Not sure why you'd chose open headphones given those circumstances. The beauty of the 598s is their somewhat airy soundstage, comfort, and their mid centric balance. They're definitely not the most fun sounding headphone, but they should work well with a variety of genres. The only thing I could see you missing from your Shures would be their arguably over extended treble. With that being said I think you will like the V-shaped nature of the M50 more. It's more immediately exciting, though it's flaws have become more obvious to me now that I've heard really well balanced headphones. The Ae2 and 440 both are quite treble heavy, so the shock of going to a headphone considered to be slightly dark by some would probably not sound very good. AE2 are supremely comfortable even if I'm not crazy about the sound so I'm not sure you'd really find the M50 to be all that comfy either. Also note that the 598s do scale well with the right amp/DAC.

If you'd like a closed headphone suggestion I'd highly recommend checking out the Soundmagic HP150.

yonder

Any opinions on the Marshall Monitors? Tried them on at a store and was pretty impressed by the sound, build quality, size and sound isolation. Might be the commuter headphone I'm looking for.

HiResDes

Any opinions on the Marshall Monitors? Tried them on at a store and was pretty impressed by the sound, build quality, size and sound isolation. Might be the commuter headphone I'm looking for.
If you like then that's all that matters because I can pretty much guarantee audiophiles would jump on the chance to shit on them. I haven't heard them myself but they look nice sitting next to refurbished instant Kodak cameras at Urban Outfitters.

SugarDave

Which should I go for between the Sennheiser HD 558 and Beyerdynamic DT 990? They're practically the same price but I can't decide. I'll be using them a lot for gaming and home music listening with the occasional film thrown in pretty rarely I would imagine.

Also, the DT 990's are the 250 ohm model. Would onboard mobo audio (ALC1150) be able to drive those effectively?

HiResDes

Which should I go for between the Sennheiser HD 558 and Beyerdynamic DT 990? They're practically the same price but I can't decide. I'll be using them a lot for gaming and home music listening with the occasional film thrown in pretty rarely I would imagine.

Also, the DT 990's are the 250 ohm model. Would onboard mobo audio (ALC1150) be able to drive those effectively?
DT 990s big time IMO unless you're really sensitive to treble, but you're definitely gonna have to upgrade your setup. I'd wait for the X1 to inevitably drop instead because they're easier to drive.

hoss

Hey Headphone GAF. I'm looking for a new set of headphones for gaming / movie watching mostly. At this point I'm looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. Is one better suited to this chore, or is there a 3rd better option? Looking to spend in the $175 to $225 range.

I noticed that the Custom One Pro offers an optional inline-mic, which would be helpful for gaming, but can I just get a third party option for the ATH-M50X for this function?

Canon

Banned
Not sure why you'd chose open headphones given those circumstances. The beauty of the 598s is their somewhat airy soundstage, comfort, and their mid centric balance. They're definitely not the most fun sounding headphone, but they should work well with a variety of genres. The only thing I could see you missing from your Shures would be their arguably over extended treble. With that being said I think you will like the V-shaped nature of the M50 more. It's more immediately exciting, though it's flaws have become more obvious to me now that I've heard really well balanced headphones. The Ae2 and 440 both are quite treble heavy, so the shock of going to a headphone considered to be slightly dark by some would probably not sound very good. AE2 are supremely comfortable even if I'm not crazy about the sound so I'm not sure you'd really find the M50 to be all that comfy either. Also note that the 598s do scale well with the right amp/DAC.

If you'd like a closed headphone suggestion I'd highly recommend checking out the Soundmagic HP150.
So is the darker sound more accurate? You're right it is a shock.

A lot of music must be not mixed or mastered correctly, and that could make balanced headphones appear worse (my guess?)

terrible

Banned
To my ears darker headphones are more forgiving when it comes to poorly mastered music. Some albums are nearly unlistenable to me with bright headphones yet they sound ok on my HD650s.

Izayoi

Banned
My buddy is looking for a complete setup (DAC/Amp and Headphones) for his room (so no need for portable stuff). He's budgeted around $300. Mainly going to be used to listen to EDM and play games with.

He was looking at something like the HiFi Man HE-300s and one of the cheaper DAC/Amp setups in the OP. Any specific recommendations? I personally think that any cheap solid state would be just fine, and I haven't heard much about the HE-300s (other than the fact that my HE-500s are fucking amazing), so I can't really offer up much of an opinion there. Thoughts?

HiResDes

My buddy is looking for a complete setup (DAC/Amp and Headphones) for his room (so no need for portable stuff). He's budgeted around $300. Mainly going to be used to listen to EDM and play games with.

He was looking at something like the HiFi Man HE-300s and one of the cheaper DAC/Amp setups in the OP. Any specific recommendations? I personally think that any cheap solid state would be just fine, and I haven't heard much about the HE-300s (other than the fact that my HE-500s are fucking amazing), so I can't really offer up much of an opinion there. Thoughts?

Should be the perfect combo. The HE-300s are very good for electronic music given their robust bass response and somewhat fast decay. They aren't very open and are a bit dark in nature, but if he's listening to mostly electronic music he won't really need a bright headphone. They're also quite easy to drive. So I'd just recommend a FiiO E10K.

HiResDes

So is the darker sound more accurate? You're right it is a shock.

A lot of music must be not mixed or mastered correctly, and that could make balanced headphones appear worse (my guess?)

This is going to sound a bit complicated, but the 598s are more accurate even though they are slightly dark because the treble extension of the 440s and AEs are far greater outliers in terms giving an objective, linear sound representation. However, just because a headphone is more accurate does not mean that this accuracy will translate to it sounding better to your ears. I'm not sure you'll ever find the 598s to be terribly exciting, because even though I really appreciate their versatility and ability as all-arounders I don't find them to be that exciting either. They sound good with a variety of genres, but don't really excel in any facet. Still personally I'd much rather listen to the 598s than the 440s or AEs anyday.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The cable connectors on the HE-300 are total shit. Every time I got them fixed, they promptly broke within a couple months. If they haven't changed anything, I'm completely against buying them.

Top Bottom