• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

aznpxdd

I've been thinking of picking up some cheap IEMs for a while and these popped up on my radar -

Xiaomi Pistons for $24.99 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HUNUOJW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seem like a good deal, especially since I hear great things about the sound and the Android features are a nifty bonus.

To be honest...I don't know why Pistons have such a following. I got it for $15 shipped and while its very nicely designed, it sounds like a pair of $15 buds to me. Mid's are muddy as hell with boomy bass.

To be honest...I don't know why Pistons have such a following. I got it for $15 shipped and while its very nicely designed, it sounds like a pair of $15 buds to me. Mid's are muddy as hell with boomy bass.

Android compatibility makes it more than worth it. Those are a bitch to find with cheap IEMs.

aznpxdd

Yeah, I've kept mine just to use as a mic/remote for my phone. But eh, I just can't recommend it for music listening even at $15 due to its lack of mid's.

I do believe we've got a new budget champ in the form of the Somic 412:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726569/rev...android-the-put-up-or-shut-up-review-and-tour

Couple of my friends are on this tour and it seems like James and SGS are highly impressed which is all I need to know that they're the real deal. I had a similar experience with EQ taking a crappy phone to stratospheric heights when SGS lent me the Maxell CN40. Paired with Dirac DSP, it was crazy how good that thing sounded. Strikes against it were an abysmal fit and seriously chintzy build quality. I've been wanting something like it in a better form factor ever since, so the Somic seems perfect in that respect.

Currently trying to ascertain where these things can be bought. I understand they're like $9 or $10, so if you're willing to muck with EQ, this is a fantastic value

Edit: seems like it's in prototype form, but Joe Bloggs was able to acquire 4 for the tour. I really hope they don't change the (hilariously enough) crappy stock tuning or else Joe will have to devise a new set of EQ parameters for whatever tuning the production model ends up having

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the info, br0ken_shad0w and aznpxdd! I decided to pull the trigger and order them, mostly for the Android remote control at this point. I have on-ears that I use for my portable music and over-the-ears for home, the Pistons will be for my phone rather than any serious listening.

Ambitious

LEND ME UR EARS offers free shipping to all parts of world! Use their site, they have the best options there.

These all would be great choices:

Dunu DN-1000
Vsonic VC1000
Ostry KC06A
Havi B3 Pro I

And if you can get your hands on the Zero Audio Tenore, which might actually be the very best value, though I'd really steer you towards the VC1000 or Dunu DN-1000 or RHA based on build quality.

Thanks again!
The DN1000 seem to have a slight edge in popularity, at least on head-fi.org. So.. they're on the way. Should receive them on Friday.

jett

D-Member
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD555, but I have slight hearing loss on my left ear. Can anyone recommend an amp that lets you adjust the stereo volume/stereo separation? Is there even such a thing? It's such an annoyance when I want to use on my TV with headphones on. I have to run an audio cable from the TV to my computer, adjust the stereo separation there, and then connect my headphones to my computer. Very roundabout way of doing things. I don't understand why this stupid-ass TV let's you only adjust the stereo balance when you're not using headphones.

moai

so i want to thank this thread, although i mainly lurked here but i took some recommendations here and went with the fidelio x1 + a vmoda boom mic for my ps4 and it's a massive upgrade from my ax720. a can here sounds that i didnt even now that were there and it has a great soundstage

terrible

Banned
so i want to thank this thread, although i mainly lurked here but i took some recommendations here and went with the fidelio x1 + a vmoda boom mic for my ps4 and it's a massive upgrade from my ax720. a can here sounds that i didnt even now that were there and it has a great soundstage

Are you using the AX720 decoder box with your new headphones when you game? It works just like an Astro Mixamp so if you have it you might as well use it!

Edwardo

So I've been looking for some headphones to use on the train for my commute everyday. A friend just bought a pair of Bose MIE2i's a few days ago and doesn't want them anymore. She is selling them for $50 and I figured that's a pretty good deal. Does anyone know the quality of these? She doesn't want them because there isn't as much noise cancelling as she thought there would be.

Thanks.

Finally my new amp came, the WA6. Dat Glow.
OsiQ0h6.jpg
G84LIrD.jpg

I originally had the Schiit Magni because I needed a no-fuss amp, but since I had the AD2KX's and some money, I figured, no I can do better than that. And what can I say the difference really is night and day.

terrible

Banned
Finally my new amp came, the WA6. Dat Glow.

I originally had the Schiit Magni because I needed a no-fuss amp, but since I had the AD2KX's and some money, I figured, no I can do better than that. And what can I say the difference really is night and day.

I bet that beast would play real nice with my HD650s and DT880s. Really, really awesome amp.

Ambitious

Thanks again!
The DN1000 seem to have a slight edge in popularity, at least on head-fi.org. So.. they're on the way. Should receive them on Friday.

An incomplete address was transmitted to DHL. The driver had already left the district when I called, so I'm gonna have to wait until Monday. Great.

moai

Are you using the AX720 decoder box with your new headphones when you game? It works just like an Astro Mixamp so if you have it you might as well use it!

Yes, i just plugged the v-moda to the white controller and works just like the original headphone. I was wondering if there is any difference between the astro mixamp and the tritton decoder box.

terrible

Banned
Yes, i just plugged the v-moda to the white controller and works just like the original headphone. I was wondering if there is any difference between the astro mixamp and the tritton decoder box.

I use both (mixamp in my bedroom, decoder box in my living room) and they sound pretty much identical I'd say. The Tritton decoder box has a mic mute switch unlike the Mixamp, that's the only noticeable thing I can think of.

SugarDave

Is something like a FiiO E07K worth getting to use alongside a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's? I'm not an audiophile at all, so I'd like to know if the difference/improvement over using my motherboard's onboard sound would be that great.

HiResDes

Is something like a FiiO E07K worth getting to use alongside a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's? I'm not an audiophile at all, so I'd like to know if the difference/improvement over using my motherboard's onboard sound would be that great.
I don't think you'll hear much of a difference. I think a better idea would be to sell your 558s and get X1s

Zissou

I now own the first decent pair of headphones I've ever owned (Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs) and holy fuck- what have been doing buying cheapo ear buds for years T_T

What would be a good step up from the HE-400s with a better fit? Love the sound but lately I've been finding them very uncomfortable to the point of annoyance. About to start a new job so I don't mind paying a bit, although that doesn't mean I want to spend 2000 dollars either :p

How are the Oppo Planars?

HiResDes

What would be a good step up from the HE-400s with a better fit? Love the sound but lately I've been finding them very uncomfortable to the point of annoyance. About to start a new job so I don't mind paying a bit, although that doesn't mean I want to spend 2000 dollars either :p

I'd suggest the Beyerdynamic T90 or Fidelio X2, or honestly you might even like the NAD Viso HP50 better.

I'd suggest the Beyerdynamic T90 or Fidelio X2, or honestly you might even like the NAD Viso HP50 better.

Definitely going to look more into the T90s, the one X2 review I saw worried me as he mentioned the comfort is lacking and given how uncomfortable the HE-400s are that's not something I want to worry about at all.

HiResDes

Definitely going to look more into the T90s, the one X2 review I saw worried me as he mentioned the comfort is lacking and given how uncomfortable the HE-400s are that's not something I want to worry about at all.

If they fit the same as the X1 then the guy must have alien ears.

Ralts42

Neo Member
Looking for best pair of wireless earbuds or IEMs for working out. Don't really want to spend over $100. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I now own the first decent pair of headphones I've ever owned (Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs) and holy fuck- what have been doing buying cheapo ear buds for years T_T

You picked a great set to start you on the adventure.

Next comes, "Hmm I wonder what the good $200 headphones sound like."

Look into the HE-400i's and HE-560's since they apparently fixed the comfort issues and made them more lighter. The former also just came out this month so reviews/feedback may be lacking.

accx

Hi all, Im considering buying the Tenore but i wanted to ask if any of you have dealt with any ebay seller?
I'm worried they might be fake. They are significantly cheaper though than Amazon.co.uk.

I'm located in Europe btw.

Hi all, Im considering buying the Tenore but i wanted to ask if any of you have dealt with any ebay seller?
I'm worried they might be fake. They are significantly cheaper though than Amazon.co.uk.

I'm located in Europe btw.
I bought them from an Asian webstore through Amazon.com for 50 euros. Might be worth looking into that.

accx

I bought them from an Asian webstore through Amazon.com for 50 euros. Might be worth looking into that.

Yeah i went with a seller from Amazon.com as well. It came out to be like 62 bucks (€47) with expedited shipping (i need them asap since i've lost mine). Surugaudo i think the shop was called

So excited!

Top Bottom