• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

And I just saw that the X2 Fidelio are out now.. any thoughts on these? They have a wide sound stage based on reviews which is.. good for gaming? They're also meant to be great.

HiResDes

And I just saw that the X2 Fidelio are out now.. any thoughts on these? They have a wide sound stage based on reviews which is.. good for gaming? They're also meant to be great.

X2 are quite incredible. They don't have the extended highs of the H6, but just as lush mids, and have more bass presence. They have very similar sounding to the HD 650.

The H6 are closed headphones and thus a direct comparison to the HD650 would be kind of weird. I think you should stop thinking of whether one headphone is completely better than another, but rather how is each headphone different and what sounds like it will suit your needs best. The H6 doesn't quite have the soundstage and airiness of the HD650, but it actually gets quite close, which is incredible for a closed headphone. The H6 has this really fast yet somewhat light bass, with lush mids, and clear extended highs. It''s much brighter than the both of the aforementioned open headphones.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

X2 are quite incredible. They don't have the extended highs of the H6, but just as lush mids, and have more bass presence. They have very similar sounding to the HD 650.

The H6 are closed headphones and thus a direct comparison to the HD650 would be kind of weird. I think you should stop thinking of whether one headphone is completely better than another, but rather how is each headphone different and what sounds like it will suit your needs best. The H6 doesn't quite have the soundstage and airiness of the HD650, but it actually gets quite close, which is incredible for a closed headphone. The H6 has this really fast yet somewhat light bass, with lush mids, and clear extended highs. It''s much brighter than the both of the aforementioned open headphones.

I have a deal alert set for the Fidelio X2 for whenever it goes on sale, I really want them but will be waiting for hopefully a potential sale close to christmas.

Interesting, I quite like the sound of them, and if they're open doesn't that mean they're likely to be more ideal for gaming?

Yeah, I'm finding thinking about differences hard as there seems to be far more subjectivity than there is with most stuff like TV's. There's also loads of factors to consider. Bright is good, but how bright? Because reviews of X2 say that it is quite bright too.

I'm appreciating the help a lot, because I literally have no idea with headphones. The low impedance of the X2's with the fact they're open make them seem good for gaming, but that might be me being stupid (I assume with an Astro amp the big sound stage will work well?).

How would you compare the X2's as the HD650s? They're both within budget and open, and I'm currently leaning towards the X2's due to the impedance and due to overall positive thoughts on them.

HiResDes

Brighter is not better, that's up to the person. It's just a way of describing the treble and upper mid-range. And I definitely don't think the X2's are bright, but they would be a better choice than the HD650's because of their low impedance. When amped properly with a really expensive setup the HD650 scale better than the X2, but when unamped I'd take the X1 or X2 over them no contest. Closed isn't necessarily better for gaming, it's all subjective.

Brighter is not better, that's up to the person. It's just a way of describing the treble and upper mid-range. And I definitely don't think the X2's are bright, but they would be a better choice than the HD650's because of their low impedance. When amped properly with a really expensive setup the HD650 scale better than the X2, but when unamped I'd take the X1 or X2 over them no contest. Closed isn't necessarily better for gaming, it's all subjective.

Yeah, I tend to like bright, or brighter at least. I'm really not very well educated with the vocabulary involved in describing headphones, but I do have quite a good ear.

People seem to chose closed if possible. And as an amp is something I'd like to avoid (it'll end up with me spending £350+) the X2's might be a better option. Do you think they'll be OK for gaming? As I may end up buying an Astro amp for them.. I don't want to buy a "normal" amp though as it seems unnecessary for someone in my position.

Also, any idea how I work out cable length? I'll need a couple of metres if its in my room.

HiResDes

Yeah, I tend to like bright, or brighter at least. I'm really not very well educated with the vocabulary involved in describing headphones, but I do have quite a good ear.

People seem to chose closed if possible. And as an amp is something I'd like to avoid (it'll end up with me spending £350+) the X2's might be a better option. Do you think they'll be OK for gaming? As I may end up buying an Astro amp for them.. I don't want to buy a "normal" amp though as it seems unnecessary for someone in my position.

Also, any idea how I work out cable length? I'll need a couple of metres if its in my room.

The X2 feature a detachable cable so you could change to a shorter or longer one if desired it's really easy,but they're open as well, not closed. The H6 are closed as are the NAD Viso HP50. People usually choose closed if they're worried about sound leakage and because closed headphones have a higher tendency to have a robust bass response. The X2 have a really good basws response for an open headphone, and it's not very bloated or overly distorted, but it's not quite as fast and precise as say the H6 or AKG K702.

Accoun

Heh, someone snatched the hf3's a few minutes before me. :-/ I guess there are still the mc5's for around $25 on that forum. Should be a nice budget phone anyway, right?

The X2 feature a detachable cable so you could change to a shorter or longer one if desired it's really easy,but they're open as well, not closed. The H6 are closed as are the NAD Viso HP50. People usually choose closed if they're worried about sound leakage and because closed headphones have a higher tendency to have a robust bass response. The X2 have a really good bass response for an open headphone, and it's very bloated or overly distorted, but it's not quite as fast and precise as say the H6 or AKG K702.
That's good, I assume cable quality is relatively constant?
Yeah, I knew they're open. Sound leakage is no issue as they're for home use only, and bass isn't a huge thing for me but it's good to know they're decent for it.

To me this just seems like the best option, I'll need a mixamp for gaming, but that's all.

Can anybody recommend some wireless headphones? I'm looking at either Sennheiser or Sony but I don't mind other brands, I'd like them to be comfortable, not overly bassy and to come with a charging cradle. They'll mainly be used to play games and to watch TV whilst the missus is asleep, budget is £200 max.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hi Des. Since you pointed me in the direction of the M50's I wanted to get your recommendation on some IEM's. I've been going to the gym a lot here lately and the factory buds that came with my old galaxy phone just aren't cutting it anymore. I also got some JBud J2's and I don't care for them much either. I'm too spoiled by the sound from my m50's. I've gone through the some the links in the OP for IEM's but I'm unsure if there have been significant improvements since that was made 3 years ago.

My budget is up to about 100 bucks. I'll also add if you personally have any good ones laying around that you want to sell I wouldn't be opposed to that either since we are in the same geographic area. Thanks man your help before led me to the best sound experience I've had yet.

HiResDes

Hi Des. Since you pointed me in the direction of the M50's I wanted to get your recommendation on some IEM's. I've been going to the gym a lot here lately and the factory buds that came with my old galaxy phone just aren't cutting it anymore. I also got some JBud J2's and I don't care for them much either. I'm too spoiled by the sound from my m50's. I've gone through the some the links in the OP for IEM's but I'm unsure if there have been significant improvements since that was made 3 years ago.

My budget is up to about 100 bucks. I'll also add if you personally have any good ones laying around that you want to sell I wouldn't be opposed to that either since we are in the same geographic area. Thanks man your help before led me to the best sound experience I've had yet.

Oh I still update the OP weekly actually. It's a bit different from what it looked like 3 years ago...And the good news is that 100 bucks gets you a very long way in the world of IEMs today. In fact I'd say the potential value of a quality pair of earphones in the fifty to hundred dollar range is nearly twice that of headphones in terms of overall sound quality and in comparison to how close they can get to higher fi sets.

If I recall correctly you like a bit of bass in your music and because you like the M50 so much I think you'll really enjoy any of the following sets with links to in depth reviews, all of which can be found in the OP.

MOE SS01
BGVP DGS100
Ostry KC06a
Vsonic VSD3S
Zero Audio Carbo Basso

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yep, you remember correct I do enjoy a bit of bass. Thanks a bunch for the links I'll read through them while at work tomorrow!

While browsing through some websites I read a bit about these Audio Technica CK9is . Since I know I like the brand I was wondering if you had any experience or opinion either way on them?

HiResDes

Yep, you remember correct I do enjoy a bit of bass. Thanks a bunch for the links I'll read through them while at work tomorrow!

While browsing through some websites I read a bit about these Audio Technica CK9is . Since I know I like the brand I was wondering if you had any experience or opinion either way on them?

I don't have any experience with them. I did own the Audio Technica CKM500 at one time, which I thought were fantastic for the price, but I'm not sure I'd pick them over any of the ones I recommended.

Here's a review of them - http://www.head-fi.org/t/628042/review-audio-technica-ckm500

I don't think you should really get stuck on a particular brand though, especially in the world IEMS where newcomers are constantly upping the stakes.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
I was wondering if anybody could recommend me some portable, on-ear headphones in the $100-200 range? Been searching around and not having much luck.

HiResDes

I was wondering if anybody could recommend me some portable, on-ear headphones in the $100-200 range? Been searching around and not having much luck.

I'd go with either the Sennheiser Amperior or V-Moda XS. JVC HA-S500 are damn good too if you want to save a bit of money.

dralla

I've been using my 5.1 surround sound for my home theater for years now. Unfortunately I'm going to be moving into a new apartment within the next few months and I most likely won't be able to use it as much as I'd like. I currently run everything through my receiver like you'd expect. It's a pretty decent Denon, only a couple years old. Would it be worth it to invest in the Astro Mixamp Pro if I have the ability to connect my headphones directly to my receiver? Would the added "surround" mix add much over the stereo that's output by the receiver? Specifically for games and movies? My headphones are the Fidelio X1's. And honestly, when playing games, I'm not a huge fan of them, and I'm thinking maybe it's because I'm used to the 5.1 surround and not the 2.0 stereo of the headphones, and maybe the Astro Mixamp would help with that?

Also, is there a good place to buy a long, kevlar (or any other 'stretchy' material) audio cables? Like over ten feet? I don't want a DJ style coiled cable, but something like VMODA cables, but longer? I love the cable that came with the X1's but it doesn't sound great. I wonder when the X2 comes out, I could buy the cable separate, I think they fixed the issue with the newer cable..

hitgirl

Is it common for on ear headphones to be really uncomfortable? I bought a pair of these new $200 Sonys that are bluetooth and noise cancelling. Thought they were great but after 10 minutes it is uncomfortable and I could imagine after 30 minutes it would be painful. Alas I'm now searching again for a noise cancelling headphone, might just get the bose.

Fox1304

Oh crap I did it again. Bought a Fidelio M1 for 60 and a Momentum On ear for 80. Now I have two direct competitors to choose from. How are they durable for people who have them ? Heard some bad things about the M1 longevity.

HiResDes

Is it common for on ear headphones to be really uncomfortable? I bought a pair of these new $200 Sonys that are bluetooth and noise cancelling. Thought they were great but after 10 minutes it is uncomfortable and I could imagine after 30 minutes it would be painful. Alas I'm now searching again for a noise cancelling headphone, might just get the bose.

Noise cancelling is stupid anyway.

Edit: Dralla make sure you have a quality soundcard that supports surround sound of some sort before you get the Mixamp.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
IEM wise, have any of you here experienced legit Piston's?

I picked a pair up a while ago for ~$30 and have been thoroughly impressed. They have been just perfect for carrying around campus and listening.

My only beef with them is the size of the driver housing with it's edge causes irritation sometimes after long use.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
I'd go with either the Sennheiser Amperior or V-Moda XS. JVC HA-S500 are damn good too if you want to save a bit of money.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I ordered the V-Moda XS as they seem to fit my criteria well and the reviews are pretty universally glowing. They should be here Tuesday, can't wait.

HiResDes

IEM wise, have any of you here experienced legit Piston's?

I picked a pair up a while ago for ~$30 and have been thoroughly impressed. They have been just perfect for carrying around campus and listening.

My only beef with them is the size of the driver housing with it's edge causes irritation sometimes after long use.
Legit Pistons still pail in comparison to the Zero Audio stuff for ten bucks more.

hitgirl

Noise cancelling is stupid anyway.

Edit: Dralla make sure you have a quality soundcard that supports surround sound of some sort before you get the Mixamp.

Can you really get that much isolation through over ear stuff? Even to drain out airplane engine noises and stuff. If so which over ear headphoens that are super easy to travel with should I checkout?

Sh1ner

So I got my AKG 702s, which are plugged directly into my Creative X Fi XtremeMusic soundcard.
My soundcard can power it but sound feels off especially with the bass. I feel like there are ranges that are not correctly represented as the soundcard is not powerful enough. So my treble is loud but I feel like I am losing representation or volume of the bass. I have only spent 30 mins with these headphones so far as I been pretty busy.

Is this correct or is it down to me having to get use to the new sound as it sounds very different from my ATH-AD700?

My assumption is that is I need an AMP. Is this correct? If so is this a good pick at the price?
SCHIIT - Magni - £80
http://www.electromod.co.uk/schiit-audio/headphone-amplifier/magni/

I am looking for a headphone amp that isn't more than £120, ideally under a £100. Alternatively I am willing to upgrade my sound card if that is the better choice. I don't want to do both.

Edit:
The good news is I like the AKG702s, the clarity in sound when plugging them into my phone listening to classical tracks is amazing.

HiResDes

Can you really get that much isolation through over ear stuff? Even to drain out airplane engine noises and stuff. If so which over ear headphoens that are super easy to travel with should I checkout?

NVX XPT100 (Brainwavz HM5), Sennheiser HD25, Soundmagic HP150, Beyerdynamic DT-150 (These are huge, but they will block mad shit out)

Edit: The bass should be similar, definitely not less than the AD700, which is very bass light itself. 30 minutes is hardly enough time to even post impressions though lol

Edit: If you must go with active noise cancellation Bose QC20/QC25 are quite comfortable and sport great isolation, even if I don't like the sound. I think the Sony MDR-1RNC sound a bit better, but Bose are tried and true might as well be a comformist.

Sh1ner

Edit: The bass should be similar, definitely not less than the AD700, which is very bass light itself. 30 minutes is hardly enough time to even post impressions though lol [\QUOTE]

I wouldn't call them impressions but I just felt something is wrong in terms of loudness immediately when it comes to the treble v bass. I can boost the bass via the X fi card but it just seems off considerably.

I might be home tonight so I will play with the soundcard / volume config and see if its an awkward setting I got somewhere.

HiResDes

Edit: The bass should be similar, definitely not less than the AD700, which is very bass light itself. 30 minutes is hardly enough time to even post impressions though lol [\QUOTE]

I wouldn't call them impressions but I just felt something is wrong in terms of loudness immediately when it comes to the treble v bass. I can boost the bass via the X fi card but it just seems off considerably.

I might be home tonight so I will play with the soundcard / volume config and see if its an awkward setting I got somewhere.

I'd upgrade the soundcard so you can keep its surround sound features. Here are some suggestions for better cards: Auzentech X-Fi Forte, Auzentech X-Fi Prelude and Creative X-Fi Titanium HD

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Just ordered a pair of Jaybird bluebuds and a pair of v-moda m-100's. And some extra foams and cushions to go with.

fuck my wallet.

Fusebox

Banned
So my favourite headphones are built like crap. I always knew it but it wasn't enough to stop using them as they sounded balls out amazing. I don't want to think about how much money I wasted on headphones trying to find a pair with the right sound signature, and when I finally did it turns out they only last about a year, the plug breaks every time.

After going through about 5 pairs (at around $200 a pop lol) and finding out they're no longer being produced I have to find new headphones! Kind of looking forward to shopping for new cans but I'm gonna miss my old faithfuls.

This is/was them:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/future_sonics_atrio_m8_earbuds

http://www.engadget.com/products/future-sonics/atrio/m5-m8/

So hard to find good bass in headphones. I don't mean shitty boomy hyped mid bass, I mean that pure low end growl that makes me grin.

Anyone wanna recommend me some nice thumpy IEMs?

HiResDes

So my favourite headphones are built like crap. I always knew it but it wasn't enough to stop using them as they sounded balls out amazing. I don't want to think about how much money I wasted on headphones trying to find a pair with the right sound signature, and when I finally did it turns out they only last about a year, the plug breaks every time.

After going through about 5 pairs (at around $200 a pop lol) and finding out they're no longer being produced I have to find new headphones! Kind of looking forward to shopping for new cans but I'm gonna miss my old faithfuls.

This is/was them:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/future_sonics_atrio_m8_earbuds

http://www.engadget.com/products/future-sonics/atrio/m5-m8/

So hard to find good bass in headphones. I don't mean shitty boomy hyped mid bass, I mean that pure low end growl that makes me grin.

Anyone wanna recommend me some nice thumpy IEMs?
BGVP DGS100
Zero Audio Carbo Basso
Vsonic VSD3S
Audio Technica ATH-IM70
Hippo VB (The greatest sub-bass If you can find it)

Fusebox

Banned
I just found a review where a guy compared his Atrios to the VBs and I found website called Jaben Online that has the VBs for $90 so it sounds like the VBs win the day! Thx HRD.

Man I've got all the respect for you (or anyone really) for not only making the OT, but taking the time to keep it updated and shit. Just seems like a time sink for any one person. I'd be happy to help out with a future OT, but not singlehandedly spearhead it. Maybe a collaborative effort for the next one would be good.

Hello everyone!

I am pretty new with the sound quality thing, I have a pair of Audio Techinca ATH-M30's that I was thinking of upgrading from but I don't really have much in the way of fancy audio equipment. I use a Mid - 2010 Macbook pro and a iPad Air typically. Sometimes I toss them on my iPhone 6+ but I figured I would aim for the best I can get that would be worth wild for those devices. I listen to a lot of music and its pretty important to me since I can't have a large speaker setup in the room I am renting. Any suggestions? I am not too picky for price, 300-ish for the max. I am mostly confused with the DAC part, would the DAC in the apple products even make it worth having better headphones?

Top Bottom