• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

Apple products usually come with very decent DAC's so yes, I think low impedance, high sensitivity headphones would sound great on it. However, I think you need to be more specific to get good recommendations. Do the headphones need to be closed? Want kind of music do you usually listen to?

Apple products usually come with very decent DAC's so yes, I think low impedance, high sensitivity headphones would sound great on it. However, I think you need to be more specific to get good recommendations. Do the headphones need to be closed? Want kind of music do you usually listen to?

Hmm, Either open or closed in fine. I don't think open ones would bleed sound enough to get through these old walls. I rarely take them out of the room. Whatever type gives the better sound I suppose. For the type of music, I typically like Country, Rock, Electronic, Alternative, and Classical. Not really into Rap or Hip-hop much though rarely a pop song sneaks onto my list. I just signed up for a 30 day free thing for Tidal (Streams lossless music) and figured now would be a good time to try and upgrade.

HiResDes

Hmm, Either open or closed in fine. I don't think open ones would bleed sound enough to get through these old walls. I rarely take them out of the room. Whatever type gives the better sound I suppose. For the type of music, I typically like Country, Rock, Electronic, Alternative, and Classical. Not really into Rap or Hip-hop much though rarely a pop song sneaks onto my list. I just signed up for a 30 day free thing for Tidal (Streams lossless music) and figured now would be a good time to try and upgrade.

For those genres I'd definitely say go ahead and grab some open headphones. I really really like the way the Sony MDR-MA900 sound with rock. I know a lot of people say Grado's are the best, but they're not very comfortable and don't have nearly the soundstage that I've come to expect from a good open can. Soundmagic HP200 would be my second choice

For those genres I'd definitely say go ahead and grab some open headphones. I really really like the way the Sony MDR-MA900 sound with rock. I know a lot of people say Grado's are the best, but they're not very comfortable and don't have nearly the soundstage that I've come to expect from a good open can. Soundmagic HP200 would be my second choice

The Sony ones look nice, What makes so good? I see their company marketing reasons but I wanna be educated a bit more. I see some of the things from the OP but still a bit gibberish to me.

HiResDes

The Sony ones look nice, What makes so good? I see their company marketing reasons but I wanna be educated a bit more. I see some of the things from the OP but still a bit gibberish to me.

I think they are one of the top five most comfortable headphones on the market. They're so fucking light and the sound is has this great warm airiness to it. The treble is extended yet so smooth, and the mids are quite forward and lush (especially the upper mids) making vocals sound quite lovely, the bass is quite balanced and showcases good speed for an open headphone with a pretty dilligent attack and just enough to make the blast beats on a metal track sound perfect. They have also have good instrument separation and detail making classical music sound pretty great as well.

The Soundmagic HP200 are very detailed, but sport a much brighter tonality than the Sony's. They have lower sub-bass and the treble extends out much further, enough to say that it's a bit elevated in spots. The upper mid-range also is quite boosted, making rock tracks sound pretty Grado-like, but with much better bass. They are also pretty comfortable, though the pads aren't quite plush enough. The shortcomings of the HP200 are it's sounstage, which isn't quite as intimate and congested as the Grado, but definitely isn't as airy and open as the Sony's either. The detail is fantastic on these headphones, but it's this narrower soundstage that makes classical better on the Sony's and rock every so slightly better on the Soundmagics.

I think they are one of the top five most comfortable headphones on the market. They're so fucking light and the sound is has this great warm airiness to it. The treble is extended yet so smooth, and the mids are quite forward and lush (especially the upper mids) making vocals sound quite lovely, the bass is quite balanced and showcases good speed for an open headphone with a pretty dilligent attack and just enough to make the blast beats on a metal track sound perfect.

Nice, Thanks for the information :-D I will report back when I try them and let ya know what I think.

Fusebox

Banned
I found an unopened pair of Atrio M5s in my storage cupboard last night, realised I bought two pairs in my last order because they were half-price. Stoked! Still looking forward to my VBs tho.

Sh1ner

I spent 4 hours using the AKG 702s and messing with the x-fi soundcard last night. I found the issue was the previous configuration was terrible for the AKG 702s.

Also I realized that I now need to turn off CMSS 3D sound when listening to music, set crystalizer from 100% to 10% and a number of other changes.

These now sound absolutely amazing for music and gaming. I am just not used to the dynamic range of the sound in terms of volume of the treble and how low bass can go. I guess I am use to hearing the bass being exaggerated before I got these.

I knew I bought good headphones when I was hiding in a locker in alien isolation and watching the distance counter on the motion tracker drop rapidly but I couldn't see anything on the motion tracker. Only to hear something coming from the right slightly behind me which didn't make any sense until I figured the ALIEN was moving through a vent shaft. The sound moving from right to left of the ALIEN scurrying through the vent oh god what a horrible and scary sound. I could pin point exactly how far and how quickly it was travelling. I would have pooped myself if my butt wasn't so tense at the time. :|

I just need to break em in. Shame I am on holiday until next week!

Tokubetsu

A lot of people don't but I find with phones in the $150 and up range I prefer a more neutral sound. So I tend to EQ less etc in soundcard and so on.

NotBacon

Okay not exactly headphones, but it's sorta related.
Anyone have good speaker recommendations? Something to just blast high-quality music in my apartment, doesn't really need to be portable.

I'm coming across some decent looking ones, but I have a feeling there is something better out there I don't know (similar to the incredible value of the ATH-M50s, and I had no idea they existed until this thread). I saw Sonos recently, but they look expensive...

Recommendations?

HiResDes

Okay not exactly headphones, but it's sorta related.
Anyone have good speaker recommendations? Something to just blast high-quality music in my apartment, doesn't really need to be portable.

I'm coming across some decent looking ones, but I have a feeling there is something better out there I don't know (similar to the incredible value of the ATH-M50s, and I had no idea they existed until this thread). I saw Sonos recently, but they look expensive...

Recommendations?

Price Range, are you looking for a 2.1 or higher setup or is 2.0 okay?

Been happy with my JVC HA-S680s but I find the headphones somewhat uncomfortable to wear for any extended length of time. I ordered a pair of brainwavz earpads to try. Hopefully, they'll help.

Sound wise, I like what I'm hearing though I've read the sound signature changes pretty drastically after a ~50 hour burn-in period. Right now, I run them through a Fiio E17 and I use the E17's EQ to drop down the bass and increase the treble. To my ears, it's helped the sound. I may try running a real burn-in over the weekend.

From what I've read both hear and in other places, these JVCs are a real steal at $50. I'm curious how they compare to 'phones at higher price points but I don't have anything yet to compare it to.

Ideally, these will be my work headphones. I have my eye on the NAD Viso HP50 for home. Anybody have experience with these? Thoughts?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Can anybody recommend some wireless headphones? I'm looking at either Sennheiser or Sony but I don't mind other brands, I'd like them to be comfortable, not overly bassy and to come with a charging cradle. They'll mainly be used to play games and to watch TV whilst the missus is asleep, budget is £200 max.
Looking for the same thing. I think I know how to elicit a response:

The new Beats from the Lebron commercial seem to be pretty well reviewed -- can anyone recommend better wireless headphones? Cost not an issue.

Hello headphoneGAF.

My wife has been mentioning the Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling earphones. To me they seem really overpriced, but what do I know.

She says she likes them because of the shape of the earpiece.

Are there any comparable noise canceling earbuds with a similar style of earpiece in the $100-150 range?

HiResDes

Never ever buy noise canceling earphones as most earphones isolate tremendously well passively.

Probably around $100. What's a receiver? I was planning on just playing music from my phone via 3.5mm or Bluetooth (I probably should have mentioned this).

So you want wireless bluetooth speakers?

Looking for the same thing. I think I know how to elicit a response:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FIZ1SXK/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009A6D034/?tag=neogaf0e-20

tokkun

Hello headphoneGAF.

My wife has been mentioning the Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling earphones. To me they seem really overpriced, but what do I know.

She says she likes them because of the shape of the earpiece.

Are there any comparable noise canceling earbuds with a similar style of earpiece in the $100-150 range?

I haven't used them personally, but I know that they got a rave review from Wirecutter. They also talk about some budget alternatives.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-noise-cancelling-in-ear-headphones-so-far/

HiResDes

I haven't used them personally, but I know that they got a rave review from Wirecutter. They also talk about some budget alternatives.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-noise-cancelling-in-ear-headphones-so-far/

It's just that earphones like these:

Etymotic HF5
Etymotic MC3
TDK BA200
Hifiman RE-400
Meelectronic A161P
VSonic VC1000
Vsonic GR01
Yamaha EPH-100SL
Shure SE15
HisoundAudio HSE-C2

Isolate at such a high level passively that it makes higher costing and mostly worse sounding active cancelling earphones such a poor value.

It's just that earphones like these:

Etymotic HF5
Etymotic MC3
TDK BA200
Hifiman RE-400
Meelectronic A161P
VSonic VC1000
Vsonic GR01
Yamaha EPH-100SL
Shure SE15
HisoundAudio HSE-C2

Isolate at such a high level passively that it makes higher costing and mostly worse sounding active cancelling earphones such a poor value.

Do any of these offer ergonomics similar to the Bose?

Also, the Shure SE15s... do you mean the 215 or the 315?

HiResDes

No, wasn't aware that was a requirement. Audio Technica makes a boise ripoff that sounds similar, but if you want the Bose just get the Bose.

NAD VISO HP50 are amazing, word.

No, wasn't aware that was a requirement. Audio Technica makes a boise ripoff that sounds similar, but if you want the Bose just get the Bose.

NAD VISO HP50 are amazing, word.
I don't want them, my wife wants them because of the ergonomics, I'm looking for a less expensive alternative. I was looking at the Shure SE215s. Have you tried them? They look kind of similar.

HiResDes

I know they are, but doesn't it compromise the sound quality? And what about the different sizes, on the 8400 the side to goes to the headset is 2.5 mm and the one into the headphone jack is a regular 3.5 mm.

Unless the cable has a ridiculously high impedance in most cases sound quality won't be affected whatsoever.

I bought a pair of Bluez 2 bone conduction headphones today. My wife is actually considering a pair now (nothing touches your ear canal. A set of comfortable foam ear plugs can be used to isolate the sound on plane trips.) The sound quality isn't top notch as the lows aren't great, but I have hearing loss in my left ear. These things bypass the eardrum sending sound to the cochlea and I can hear better. So in that sense, for me, the stereo sound quality is better as everything on the left side sounds muffled to me with regular headphones. It's pretty exciting, actually.

I would recommend these to anyone with damaged eardrums or are looking for something to use while running that allows you to still hear cars, people, etc.

They can get pretty loud too. When it's turned all the way up you can feel the sound vibrating on your cheekbone, but it's not overly distracting.

I realized that now. I can't go back to regular headphones now.

How do you know so much about headphones, are you a producer or something of that nature?

Welcome to the addiction. You'll probably catch yourself just wanting to pick up the headphones and listen to them out of no where because they sound so good.

I'm not sure about Des' case, but for many people, collecting and testing headphones just builds knowledge.

I have a tiny collection of headphones at the moment and I've also tried many.

What headphones did you have before?

Gray Matter

Welcome to the addiction. You'll probably catch yourself just wanting to pick up the headphones and listen to them out of no where because they sound so good.

I'm not sure about Des' case, but for many people, collecting and testing headphones just builds knowledge.

I have a tiny collection of headphones at the moment and I've also tried many.

What headphones did you have before?

I bought the KRK 8400 from his recommendation. Loving them. Before I used to have a pair of Bose, but one of the cheaper models. Those lasted me 2 years until it was time to upgrade.

NotBacon

Well just talked to the SO and apparently she's set on bluetooth *shrug*

So recommendations for 2.1 wireless BT speakers around $100? Thanks.

HiResDes

I realized that now. I can't go back to regular headphones now.

How do you know so much about headphones, are you a producer or something of that nature?

I'm obssessed with music, so loving headphones came naturally. I've been able to test a bunch of different sets over time using lenient return policies and by getting my friends into the headphone game as well. That way when I get a new set I can try them out and vice versa.

BTW I found KRK's official replacement cable - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JG8M6Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure how much shorter 1.5m is than the one they come with though

Well just talked to the SO and apparently she's set on bluetooth *shrug*

So recommendations for 2.1 wireless BT speakers around $100? Thanks.

If I can sway you in any way that Swan set is a ridiculous value and any bluetooth set within even double the price range will pail in comparison in terms of sound quality.

Top Bottom