• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
For this Christmas time I am thinking I will treat myself to a nice, at home listening setup. Preferably in the ~$200 range for whatever is needed. Deciding to go this route rather than improving the IEM's that I have currently, since I can just keep those for out and about listening.

---------------

Music that I'm into: EDM, Trance, Classical, Hip Hop, Jazz, and pretty much anything outside of Country, but those are more limited listening.

Output device: 2012 MacBook Pro, HTC One M8 (Mobile listening mainly)

---------------

Headphone GAF, will you recommend me an over-ear setup for this situation? Do I need to go with an amp alongside my output for a good over-ear experience. (I wear glasses as well if that changes anything.) edit: I would prefer a closed set of phones, but if open's are hands down better I could make do.

Thanks, from a audiophile noob trying to learn!

HiResDes

For this Christmas time I am thinking I will treat myself to a nice, at home listening setup. Preferably in the ~$200 range for whatever is needed. Deciding to go this route rather than improving the IEM's that I have currently, since I can just keep those for out and about listening.

---------------

Music that I'm into: EDM, Trance, Classical, Hip Hop, Jazz, and pretty much anything outside of Country, but those are more limited listening.

Output device: 2012 MacBook Pro, HTC One M8 (Mobile listening mainly)

---------------

Headphone GAF, will you recommend me an over-ear setup for this situation? Do I need to go with an amp alongside my output for a good over-ear experience. (I wear glasses as well if that changes anything.) edit: I would prefer a closed set of phones, but if open's are hands down better I could make do.

Thanks, from a audiophile noob trying to learn!

There are some quality pairs that sound great without amps. You need a good all arounders it sounds like considering your varied genre selection. Do you think you'll want them to be closed or open?

Granadier

There are some quality pairs that sound great without amps. You need a good all arounders it sounds like considering your varied genre selection. Do you think you'll want them to be closed or open?

I'd prefer closed if possible.

HiResDes

I'd prefer closed if possible.

I think you'd really like the Soundmagic HP150. They're fairly balanced, but have the ability to convey a really good sub bass impact. Also I think they're a better first headphone than the M50 because of their ability to scale at a high level as you get better equipment while still sounding quite good unamped.

AKG K545 would also be a good pick with a similar sound signature. They don't scale as much, but sound even better unamped than the HP150 with a higher sensitivity that enables them to be much more volume and voltage efficient.

Granadier

I think you'd really like the Soundmagic HP150. They're fairly balanced, but have the ability to convey a really good sub bass impact. Also I think they're a better first headphone than the M50 because of their ability to scale at a high level as you get better equipment while still sounding quite good unamped.

AKG K545 would also be a good pick with a similar sound signature. They don't scale as much, but sound even better unamped than the HP150 with a higher sensitivity that enables them to be much more volume and voltage efficient.

Your links both go to the AKG's, but I found the HP150 you were talking about. Those both look like really, really good phones. I'm writing those down to purchase one come December.
edit: Probably will go with the AKG's since I don't think I'll be expanding beyond that quickly. Once I get to the stage of going beyond the $200 range I'll get some phones+amp.

Thanks for the rec!

Fou-Lu

I'm looking for some lightweight over ear all rounders that preferably look stylish. I love my M50s but I mostly keep them at home, so something less bulky than that (they are also a little bass heavy considering the variety of music I listen to).

I'm looking for some lightweight over ear all rounders that preferably look stylish. I love my M50s but I mostly keep them at home, so something less bulky than that (they are also a little bass heavy considering the variety of music I listen to).

Price range?

I would recommend something like this:

Momentum

Hmm, probably $250 max, those look nice though, how's the sound?

I can't really say much to represent the sound on these headphones due to the fact of me not being able to get a clean audio source because of them being at a store. They sounded kind-of warm, but like I said, that was probably due to the audio source.

I can say, they were comfortable and pretty light.

Honestly, if you're looking for something to toss around, I'd look for something that has a removable cable, but these look like an exception.

Also, at $250, you'll be able to do better.

HiResDes

Most headphones that are less bulky than the M50s are gonna be on ear and if you want something more bassier you're essentially asking for a bass head headphone. Those Momentum might be a good choice for you considering these things.

Another good choice might be the Bowers and Wilkins P5 would can be found for under $250 after some searching

Also Sennheiser
jus came out with the Urbanite, which is garnering good reviews is bassy and stylish and also within your price range.

If you want to save money I also think the JVC HA S500s would fit all of your requirements at a fraction of the price.

lupinko

So I was at Yodobashi Camera today looking to buy a new 3.5 plug since the one that came with my FIIO Alpen killed itself somehow. Same goes with my AKG earbuds, though they were working fine and all of a sudden they shit the bed. Note I said earbuds, mass produced in some factory in China, not my hand made Q701 headphones made in Austria, those are still awesome. Not dissing China, since Fiio is Chinese and they make awesome stuff, I think one of the few Chinese companies not to use terrible labour practices and it shows.

Anyway, I tried out this Onkyo DAC and was blown away mainly because this hooked directly to my iPhone via the Lightning port.

NgfMga3.jpg

The sound was vastly different than what I would normally hear using the auxiliary 3.5 stereo port via my Alpen. Anyway my Alpen is still good and that Onkyo was a lot of money. Also my Alpen at the same store costs way more than what I paid for in Canada but I got the Alpen and q701 on a Boxing Day sale at a headphone boutique. Anyway I remembered Fiio made 3.5 to iPod dock cables and I already own a lightning converter. So I bought that instead of a replacement 3.5 to 3.5, and damn, my q701s have never sounded so good.

I'd probably wait it out for the Oppo HA-2 portable DAC/Amp if I were you. A friend was able to score a test unit and it's pretty damn sweet. It supports everything up to DSD256, connects to iPhone via lightning, and actually RECHARGES your phone while you use it. Battery life clocks in at 14.5 hours of battery when using it as just an amp with an iPhone, and around 7.5 hours of battery when using it as a DAC/amp. It recharges to 75% in 1 hour. The price? Planned to be $250. That's just bonkers when practically every other competing device with these specs either has garbage battery life or costs like $600-1000. Oh and it looks sexy as fuck:

www.head-fi.org/t/737787/oppo-to-re...and-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-at-rmaf

Oppo's upcoming portable planar the PM-3 is supposed to sound close to a PM-2 ( which in turn sounds extremely close to the PM-1) but even more open for $400 as well. I'm kinda gobsmacked that they would release these two highly competitive products at these price ranges.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So I was going to buy the Ostry KC06a that Des recommended me to last week. I put them on my Amazon wish list so I would be able to quickly find them again to buy them for myself for my birthday on Friday. I went out to the mailbox today and had a package from Amazon. Apparently my mom looked at my Amazon wishlist and had them shipped to me.

Nice! These earphones are incredible. Several times I've paused a song in the middle and switched from these Ostry's to the JLabs I was using and such a huge night and day difference in quality. Just wanted to say thanks again Des for turning me on to these. I'm in love with them.

Chocobro

Hey HiResDes, just dropping in again.

My HiFiMAN RE-400 is dying again :T Same issue as before even though I tried something to prevent it from happening again but I guess it eventually gave in. I don't think I can get a replacement from HiFiMAN because my 1 year warranty expired four months ago; I will try nonetheless.
Any IEM recommendations for a $100 budget? Maybe there are some good ones that came out this past year. I'm hoping for something that sounds almost as good or maybe better than the RE-400, but it has to be way more durable because I walk with them on. I saw your post last page recommending a few to another GAF user, so I'll look those to see if they match what I'm looking for as well.

HiResDes

Hey HiResDes, just dropping in again.

My HiFiMAN RE-400 is dying again :T Same issue as before even though I tried something to prevent it from happening again but I guess it eventually gave in. I don't think I can get a replacement from HiFiMAN because my 1 year warranty expired four months ago; I will try nonetheless.
Any IEM recommendations for a $100 budget? Maybe there are some good ones that came out this past year. I'm hoping for something that sounds almost as good or maybe better than the RE-400, but it has to be way more durable because I walk with them on. I saw your post last page recommending a few to another GAF user, so I'll look those to see if they match what I'm looking for as well.

Yeah RE400 sound great but are a bit flimsy with subpar strain reliefs. I'd check these out coming from them http://penonaudio.com/BGVP-DGS100

And Holy hell at that collection I want those Enigma or the Final Audio.

But that Sennheiser
stuff is ridiculous I wonder what set he's keeping... Must be the best shit in existence.

Chocobro

Yeah RE400 sound great but are a bit flimsy with subpar strain reliefs. I'd check these out coming from them http://penonaudio.com/BGVP-DGS100

The wires don't seem to look that great, but I'm not experienced with this kind of stuff haha. Based on the appreciation thread, the poster said "the cable attachment had a very nice strain relief." Is there a way to find out which cables have good strain reliefs?

EDIT: While I'm at it, how does the Shure SE215 compare to the DGS100?

Only thing homeboy was missing was the Abyss God damn. Jelly of the dude who scooped up the R10, that's the one flagship I've always wanted to hear, but I hear the bio cellulose diaphragms are basically disintegrating since the phones are now 20+ years old.

And please skip on the DGS100. It's an unproven entity, and the two guys pushing it in that thread I've caught hyping some of the most whacked IEMs in the past. I actually messaged one of the guys in that thread who picked up the DGS (spurxii) just to confirm that it was whacked and he basically said even after 100 hours of "burn-in" the damn thing still sounded awful. Notice how all the discussion in the thread falls back on the classic "burn in" argument after some disgruntled buyers called out the OP. Just pick up a Zero Audio or Ostry KC06 if you must. Those are proven entities at least

HiResDes

The wires don't seem to look that great, but I'm not experienced with this kind of stuff haha. Based on the appreciation thread, the poster said "the cable attachment had a very nice strain relief." Is there a way to find out which cables have good strain reliefs?

EDIT: While I'm at it, how does the Shure SE215 compare to the DGS100?
Definitely don't get the Shure SE215 they're well built and sport good isolation, but would be a downgrade coming from the RE400. Tenore or Ostry KC06a since DRM thinks the Dgs might be bogus hype.

I'm actually a really big fan of the Ostry. Very lively sound and absolutely fantastic mids. Only caveats there are the potentially weird fit (I can't get it to fit well unless I'm using really large tips) and the cable exhibits some really annoying memory if you coil it, and it has no chin slider for some stupid ass reason.

I think the Tenore and KC06 should be requisite experiences for every IEM fan just to get an understanding of the sheer performance available these days in the lower ranges (and very, very real sense of diminishing returns). In fact, there was a point in time when I'd considered selling everything and just keeping the Tenore and KC06. I'd have recouped thousands lol

Really looking forward to what Ostry has in store with the upcoming KC07.

lupinko

Hey hi res recommend any good earbuds in particular? I'm willing to pay a bit more than $50.

I'd probably wait it out for the Oppo HA-2 portable DAC/Amp if I were you. A friend was able to score a test unit and it's pretty damn sweet. It supports everything up to DSD256, connects to iPhone via lightning, and actually RECHARGES your phone while you use it. Battery life clocks in at 14.5 hours of battery when using it as just an amp with an iPhone, and around 7.5 hours of battery when using it as a DAC/amp. It recharges to 75% in 1 hour. The price? Planned to be $250. That's just bonkers when practically every other competing device with these specs either has garbage battery life or costs like $600-1000. Oh and it looks sexy as fuck:

www.head-fi.org/t/737787/oppo-to-re...and-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-at-rmaf

Oppo's upcoming portable planar the PM-3 is supposed to sound close to a PM-2 ( which in turn sounds extremely close to the PM-1) but even more open for $400 as well. I'm kinda gobsmacked that they would release these two highly competitive products at these price ranges.

Holy shit I want that.

Debating on either a pair of closed headphones or a WiiU for Christmas haha.

HiResDes

Hey hi res recommend any good earbuds in particular? I'm willing to pay a bit more than $50.

Holy shit I want that.

Earbuds specifically rather than IEMs? also what do you listen to most?

Holy shit I want that.

I'd pick up the wii u and wait for the PM-3 to drop sometime next year. I think they're planning a Q1 release or something. It'll be really versatile since most closed phones in the price range won't be able to be driven with a simple smartphone if push comes to shove, and also DAT PRICE. Only other portable phone that catches my eye is the new Ultrasone 880.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Well, I accidentally broke my Tenore. Before I just buy another one, what's the new ~$100 fom IEMs right now? Preferably something better than what I had.

HiResDes

Well, I accidentally broke my Tenore. Before I just buy another one, what's the new ~$100 fom IEMs right now? Preferably something better than what I had.
Havi B3 pro and Ostry KC06 are other proven entities. They have slightly better build quality too. I don't know how y'all go through so many earphones I've yet to break a pair before losing them or giving them away completely.

K.Jack

The cable on the Tenore was already going bad, and it finally gave out. Usually the only headphones i can't keep together are HifiMan's. I love the RE400, but I ain't getting it fixed again.

So I need to finally get something with a detachable cable, since that is what I always seem to have mess up.

I'm looking at the VSonic VSD3S. What's being said about it is something I've never had, this v-shaped sound sig.

K.Jack

Yeah those were the two I looked up the most. The Vsonic having better treble, and the detachable cable won me over.

HiResDes

I think they are one of the top five most comfortable headphones on the market. They're so fucking light and the sound is has this great warm airiness to it. The treble is extended yet so smooth, and the mids are quite forward and lush (especially the upper mids) making vocals sound quite lovely, the bass is quite balanced and showcases good speed for an open headphone with a pretty dilligent attack and just enough to make the blast beats on a metal track sound perfect. They have also have good instrument separation and detail making classical music sound pretty great as well.

The Soundmagic HP200 are very detailed, but sport a much brighter tonality than the Sony's. They have lower sub-bass and the treble extends out much further, enough to say that it's a bit elevated in spots. The upper mid-range also is quite boosted, making rock tracks sound pretty Grado-like, but with much better bass. They are also pretty comfortable, though the pads aren't quite plush enough. The shortcomings of the HP200 are it's sounstage, which isn't quite as intimate and congested as the Grado, but definitely isn't as airy and open as the Sony's either. The detail is fantastic on these headphones, but it's this narrower soundstage that makes classical better on the Sony's and rock every so slightly better on the Soundmagics.

I went ahead and got both gave the Sony ones to my sister. The Soundmagic HP200 ones I kept and really like. They sound great for the music I use. And I got a TIDAL account for 30 days so its been fun messing with the different types of music. Thanks for suggestions!

Chocobro

Definitely don't get the Shure SE215 they're well built and sport good isolation, but would be a downgrade coming from the RE400. Tenore or Ostry KC06a since DRM thinks the Dgs might be bogus hype.

I'm actually a really big fan of the Ostry. Very lively sound and absolutely fantastic mids. Only caveats there are the potentially weird fit (I can't get it to fit well unless I'm using really large tips) and the cable exhibits some really annoying memory if you coil it, and it has no chin slider for some stupid ass reason.

I think the Tenore and KC06 should be requisite experiences for every IEM fan just to get an understanding of the sheer performance available these days in the lower ranges (and very, very real sense of diminishing returns). In fact, there was a point in time when I'd considered selling everything and just keeping the Tenore and KC06. I'd have recouped thousands lol

Really looking forward to what Ostry has in store with the upcoming KC07.

After doing some reading, I might go with the Ostry KC06A. I assume the strain relief and cable quality is better than the RE-400's? Overall more durable? That's the only thing that's stopping me from placing an order. I don't want to get another pair of IEMs and get the same issue but I can understand that it happens.

HiResDes

After doing some reading, I might go with the Ostry KC06A. I assume the strain relief and cable quality is better than the RE-400's? Overall more durable? That's the only thing that's stopping me from placing an order. I don't want to get another pair of IEMs and get the same issue but I can understand that it happens.
Yeah both are better on the Ostry. The Havi B3 pro is also a good option with a pretty solid build.
I went ahead and got both gave the Sony ones to my sister. The Soundmagic HP200 ones I kept and really like. They sound great for the music I use. And I got a TIDAL account for 30 days so its been fun messing with the different types of music. Thanks for suggestions!
Damn you got both that's awesome.

cabot

One thing that keeps bringing me back to Shures are their fit. They're bloody perfect. When a song is playing it's effectively full isolation, whereas the alternatives are never quite there.

It also seems like the 535s are discontinued, which is worrying if my pair ever die. What do they have left? is it the lower end models then the jump to the bloody SE846? seems outrageous.

FoxSpirit

Okay, that thing looks amazing. DAC-Amp-Charger with the best from ESS from a company with a class A audio- and videophile reputation? Plus it's dead sexy.

Gray Matter

Question: I had to buy a new cable for my headphones since the ones that came with the headphones are way too long. Now, the original pair, in the jack has two lines around the jack, the new pair I bought has 3 lines around it.

What's the difference?

Question: I had to buy a new cable for my headphones since the ones that came with the headphones are way too long. Now, the original pair, in the jack has two lines around the jack, the new pair I bought has 3 lines around it.

What's the difference?
I'm going to guess that would be for a mic input.

Gray Matter

Here's something to know if you're interested in buying a pair of KRK headphones. The cables are detachable, but they have a twist and lock system on the cables, meaning that if you want to buy another cable (which you will because the stock cable is 8 feet long) they won't fit into the headphones.

I just spent the last 20 minutes chipping away at the replacement cable I bought so they can fit in.

I don't foresee anything shorting out on the Ostry with normal use, but I used to own a Vmoda Vibe years and years ago which featured a similar cable. It felt literally bulletproof until it just died one day. Shit happens unfortunately. But as for strain relief and cable durability? Both seem pretty robust on the Ostry. Just watch out for the annoying cable memory that I mentioned.

Don't do it you'll be waiting forever. I've been waiting 9 months now.

Edit: lol didn't see the link.

As of Oct. 24th, they're supposed to be on track to delivering all the remaining non mic Rockets in the next two weeks. Really hope you get a shipping notice in the next week (which would line up with their estimate), otherwise I'd shoot an email their way asking what the fuck is up. Or hell, better yet, just call AS and ask yourself. About the only thing I can say, is that it's the real deal, and it's really worth the wait. Just wish all these people hadn't been fucked over by this supply chain shit

The cable on the Tenore was already going bad, and it finally gave out. Usually the only headphones i can't keep together are HifiMan's. I love the RE400, but I ain't getting it fixed again.

So I need to finally get something with a detachable cable, since that is what I always seem to have mess up.

I'm looking at the VSonic VSD3S. What's being said about it is something I've never had, this v-shaped sound sig.

The ironic thing about the VSD series of phones is that they use the problematic MMCX cables. The UE900 went through a lot of teething issues initially with failed connectors before they just straight up dropped the cable design. I know a lot of the Shure phones had issues with failed connectors as well. I myself owned a Panasonic HJE-900 which just inexplicably died one day. It's just not a mechanically sound design IMO. So yeah, while the phone does allow for the option of cable replacement should things go awry, I'm not exactly confident that a MMCX equipped phone would actually outlast a traditional phone with proper strain relief.

Okay, that thing looks amazing. DAC-Amp-Charger with the best from ESS from a company with a class A audio- and videophile reputation? Plus it's dead sexy.
It's actually outfitted with the K2M not the actual desktop chip. The only portable DAC/DAP I know of that uses the 9018 is the iBasso R10. I've heard the K2M in various configurations and it's pretty good. My favorite implementation of it is probably in the Geek Out.

HiResDes

Here's something to know if you're interested in buying a pair of KRK headphones. The cables are detachable, but they have a twist and lock system on the cables, meaning that if you want to buy another cable (which you will because the stock cable is 8 feet long) they won't fit into the headphones.

I just spent the last 20 minutes chipping away at the replacement cable I bought so they can fit in.
Aww that's a bummer, did you get the official KRK cable I linked?

Chocobro

Yeah both are better on the Ostry. The Havi B3 pro is also a good option with a pretty solid build.

I don't foresee anything shorting out on the Ostry with normal use, but I used to own a Vmoda Vibe years and years ago which featured a similar cable. It felt literally bulletproof until it just died one day. Shit happens unfortunately. But as for strain relief and cable durability? Both seem pretty robust on the Ostry. Just watch out for the annoying cable memory that I mentioned.
Thanks for the info you two! I'll look into the Havi B3 Pro (I or II? I assume I?) and decide between that and the Ostry KC06A.

Top Bottom