• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Thanks for the info you two! I'll look into the Havi B3 Pro (I or II? I assume I?) and decide between that and the Ostry KC06A.

I honestly don't know about the Havi since I've never heard it. A friend of mine whom I trust sold it off since he said it sounded off. Tyll's recent measurements for the Havi look really, really bad.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HaviB3Pro1.pdf

I'm honestly not sure if the pair he measured was faulty or not, so i looked into it a bit and came across this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/3945#post_11022243

Just a bit of food for thought I guess. Might be safer going for the Ostry.

Chocobro

I honestly don't know about the Havi since I've never heard it. A friend of mine whom I trust sold it off since he said it sounded off. Tyll's recent measurements for the Havi look really, really bad.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HaviB3Pro1.pdf

I'm honestly not sure if the pair he measured was faulty or not, so i looked into it a bit and came across this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/3945#post_11022243

Just a bit of food for thought I guess. Might be safer going for the Ostry.

Good info. Looks like Ostry it is! Thank you again.
EDIT: Does there happen to be a place where I can get the KC06A for less than $80? haha. I thought I should ask just in case because they Amazon and penaudio have it for that much.

Like I said, I've never heard the Havi, so it could honestly just be bad QC since these IEMs are made in China I think, I dunno. Those measurements and that post just made me take pause is all.

Ordered a pair of Monoprice 8323 headphones and tried them on when they came to my house.

They sounded great, but they clamped on my ears and pinched them. Felt the pain going to my jaw.

I'm sending them back to Amazon for a refund. Shopping for cheap headphones for guys with big ears (big lobule doesn't help!) like me sucks. :(

HiResDes

Ordered a pair of Monoprice 8323 headphones and tried them on when they came to my house.

They sounded great, but they clamped on my ears and pinched them. Felt the pain going to my jaw.

I'm sending them back to Amazon for a refund. Shopping for cheap headphones for guys with big ears (big lobule doesn't help!) like me sucks. :(
V-Moda makes XL pads you could research if they'll fit or not, not personally versed in monoprice headphones.

V-Moda makes XL pads you could research if they'll fit or not, not personally versed in monoprice headphones.

Thanks for the advice, but I'll just try some out at places like Guitar Center or Best Buy and then put what fits best (on my head and ears) on my Amazon wish list. :)

HiResDes

0TH-0036-000B3-06.jpg

Newegg.com has Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Headphones for $149.99 - $70 w/ promo code EMCWWPC42 = $79.99.

I'm a noob about lossless. Are flac files as good as on the cd? Some clarification about it would be welcome.

I've been wanting to get good headphones for a while. I think I've never had any over 50 dollars. I've heard good things about the Sennheiser Momentum. Are they worth it? Or am I going to be blowing away money? I like the look.

Someone recommended Beats, but I've heard they're way overpriced.

HiResDes

I'm a noob about lossless. Are flac files as good as on the cd? Some clarification about it would be welcome.

I've been wanting to get good headphones for a while. I think I've never had any over 50 dollars. I've heard good things about the Sennheiser Momentum. Are they worth it? Or am I going to be blowing away money? I like the look.

Someone recommended Beats, but I've heard they're way overpriced.
Lossless files are essentially CD quality files and even some lossy formats are nearly as good like 256 AAC and 320 mp3

HiResDes

Thanks. I wondered since flac files are smaller in size than what's on the cd.
As far as the headphones you can narrow down a good choice by figuring out your specific needs. Do you want them to be portable or for home use? Do they need to be closed or open? What genres of music do you like most? Do they need to be source independent? What's your budget?

As far as the headphones you can narrow down a good choice by figuring out your specific needs. Do you want them to be portable or for home use? Do they need to be closed or open? What genres of music do you like most? Do they need to be source independent? What's your budget?

I can go as high as $500 (maybe a bit higher) and want them for home use. I use earphones outside. They can be either closed or open. I mostly listen to classic rock, blues, jazz, classical, folk, alternative rock, but it can vary. I don't know what is source independent.

I want to get some real nice headphones that are worth the money.

HiResDes

I was just asking if you wanted headphones that are efficient enough to sound good without being driven by a dedicated amp and DAC.

HiResDes

Oh. Then, yes.

One of the most important things is durability too.
KEF M500 would be a great choice it's actually pretty portable being an on ear and with its efficiency, but it doesn't sacrifice on sound and is still quite comfortable especially for an ear.

The Nad Viso hp50 would also be an excellent choice, it's a bit bigger, but is still relatively easy to drive and sports a very good balance like KEF M500, but is even more open sounding especially for a closed headphone.

Soundmagic HP 200 is an open headphone that I think you'd really enjoy given the genres you like. It's probably the most tailor made for tastes. It's not quite as balanced offering a bit more treble and bass extension than the aforementioned headphones, but still retains great detail. The only caveat as they are not quite as efficient as the others, sounding good, but definitely not as good as their potential when amped.

The Sony MDRMA900 are another open headphone I'd recommend. They are a bit of
a safer pick than the HP200 offering a well balanced sound and the least aggressive treble out of all the headphones. They also might be the comfiest with their lightweight and large pads. They are extremely airy and open sounding with a very smooth sound signature, though not quite as detailed as the others in some regards.

fidelio X2 also would be a good choice similar
sounding to the Sony with a bit more bass and weight, but possibly also a better build.

Thanks for the recommendations!

About the Soundmagic HP 200, you mention they get better with an amp. I like them, and they don't seem too expensive, so maybe I could get an amp for them. What would you recommend? Bear in mind I'm not familiar with this headphone amp stuff. They work with many types of headphones?

HiResDes

Thanks for the recommendations!

About the Soundmagic HP 200, you mention they get better with an amp. I like them, and they don't seem too expensive, so maybe I could get an amp for them. What would you recommend? Bear in mind I'm not familiar with this headphone amp stuff. They work with many types of headphones?
I'd get an amp and DAC combo like the Schiit stack (Schiit Modi + Schiit Magni). And yes they work with all headphones. This combo will drive the Hp200 perfectly.

HiResDes

Enjoy, no problem. I think you'll love them. And once you have that stack if you ever get upgraditis you'll already have a nice little setup.

bobohoro

Hey there headphone-gaf, need a little help.

I've been looking for some new portable headphones since months but I just can't pull the trigger. Rocking the AiAiAi TMA-1 since a few years and was pretty satisfied, but I dislike the On-Ear build more and more, and their veiled sound is nice and comfortable to listen to, but I could go for some more clarity to get a better allround sound. With that in mind, here is what I need:

- Over-Ear: Don't like On-Ear, feel discomfort with In-Ears.
- Portability/Durability: Need them to commute by train and in college, so they should fold nicely, be sturdy and most important of all they should not leak sound. Don't want to bother others. Detachable cable would be a plus as well.
- Sound: I listen to a vast amount of differing genres, from folk to drone, classic to rap, jazz to doom, sludge to videogame soundtracks, so they should do pretty well on all fronts. Will be pairing them with a rockboxed clip+, would also have some old Fiio amp (E7 I believe) to drive them. If they could somehow sound like my Denon D2000 I would be pretty pleased.
- Look: Not a primary concern, but they shouldn't be extremly big or stupid looking
- Price: Around 250€ would be my limit, 180€ being the sweetspot

Cans I already ruled out:
Nad Viso HP50: Straight headband is killing them, just looks off
Sennheiser Momentum: Not foldable
V-Moda M100: Too much bass from what I read

I don't really have the opportunity to test my headphones, so I'd need a rather safe recommendation. Right now I'd really just get the ATH-M50x and be done with it. The blue/brown ones can be had for ~170€, they look good, are sturdy and their sound is at least passable for every kind of genre.

HiResDes

Hey there headphone-gaf, need a little help.

I've been looking for some new portable headphones since months but I just can't pull the trigger. Rocking the AiAiAi TMA-1 since a few years and was pretty satisfied, but I dislike the On-Ear build more and more, and their veiled sound is nice and comfortable to listen to, but I could go for some more clarity to get a better allround sound. With that in mind, here is what I need:

- Over-Ear: Don't like On-Ear, feel discomfort with In-Ears.
- Portability/Durability: Need them to commute by train and in college, so they should fold nicely, be sturdy and most important of all they should not leak sound. Don't want to bother others. Detachable cable would be a plus as well.
- Sound: I listen to a vast amount of differing genres, from folk to drone, classic to rap, jazz to doom, sludge to videogame soundtracks, so they should do pretty well on all fronts. Will be pairing them with a rockboxed clip+, would also have some old Fiio amp (E7 I believe) to drive them. If they could somehow sound like my Denon D2000 I would be pretty pleased.
- Look: Not a primary concern, but they shouldn't be extremly big or stupid looking
- Price: Around 250€ would be my limit, 180€ being the sweetspot

Cans I already ruled out:
Nad Viso HP50: Straight headband is killing them, just looks off
Sennheiser Momentum: Not foldable
V-Moda M100: Too much bass from what I read

I don't really have the opportunity to test my headphones, so I'd need a rather safe recommendation. Right now I'd really just get the ATH-M50x and be done with it. The blue/brown ones can be had for ~170€, they look good, are sturdy and their sound is at least passable for every kind of genre.
I'm a bit confused by what you want. You said the V-Moda M100 seem to have too much bass and yet you want them to sound like your Denon D2000, which are tremendously bassy (especially in the sub region) compared to any headphone. The TMA-1 though quite veiled have better quality bass than the M50, which elicit a less coherent rumble rather than the fast attacking punchiness of the TMA-1. The Denon D2000 sport really smooth treble, though a bit rolled off in some respects...While the M50's treble is a bit peaky and sibilant in some regards.

It seems like the Momentum would be a good choice despite not having a folding mechanism. They look stylish, sound pretty good out of portable sources, and sport a sound signature that most closely resembles the Denon D2000, though their sub bass can't quite compare.

Another good suggestion that comes with a folding mechanism would be the Alpha Design Labs ADL H118

Review by ljokerl of Headfi said:
MSRP: $269.00 (manufacturer’s page)
Current Price: $269 from Needle Doctor and other distributors

Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz | Impedance: 68 Ω | Sensitivity: 98 dB SPL/1mW
Form factor: over-the-ear | Space-Saving Mechanism: Collapsible
Cord: detachable (mini-XLR), 9.8ft (3m), straight, 3.5mm termination w/6.3mm adapter

Build Quality (9.5/10): The ADL H118 is a circumaural, closed, collapsible headphone. The unit is made of heavy plastics with a textured finish in places and feels very solid. The unique elongated earcups are a little on the large side, but the headband is tucked in, which makes the headphones look more compact on the head. The cable is single-sided and detachable, with a locking mini-XLR connector. At 3m in length, the stock cord is not designed for portable use, but can be coiled and pocketed if necessary. The beefy Furutech 3.5mm plug is stepped at the front, which makes it usable with even the thickest smartphone cases; many portable headphones could take a lesson here. A nice hard-shell carrying case is also included.

Comfort (8/10): One of the most striking features of the H118 is the odd triangular earpad shape – it is somewhat similar to the Monster DNA Pro, but narrower and more elongated. After several months with the headphones, I have to say it works pretty well. The cups are deep and have good freedom of motion. Combined with clamping force on the high side of average, this allows the thick padding to seal well all the way around the ear. Like most large, closed headphones with thick padding, the H118 tends to become a little sweaty with prolonged use.

Isolation (8.5/10): The passive noise isolation of the ADL H118 is good thanks to the thick, well-sealing pads and closed-back earcups. Sound leakage out of the headphones is nil.

Sound (8.75/10): The first headphone effort from Furutech, the ADL H118 offers a sound signature that falls somewhere between “traditional audiophile” and “studio headphone” – a lush and warm sound with very good bass and darker overall tonality.

The bass is enhanced, with good extension and strong punch. Impact is about on-par with the famed Sennheiser HD25. There is some mid-bass emphasis but bloat is kept to a minimum, which is always a relief. Bass quality is actually a little better than with the V-Moda M-80 – tighter and cleaner, albeit with a bit less emphasis on sub-bass.

The low-end emphasis and overall tonal tilt of the H118 give the headphone a very full-bodied midrange with a warm tonal character. Unsurprisingly, it lacks the perception of increased clarity that comes with brighter headphones – the HD25, for example, is a little clearer, whereas the V-Moda M-80 has similar clarity but slightly more midrange presence. Overall, considering the warm and smooth character of its sound, the clarity of the H118 is quite good.

The treble of the H118 appears recessed at first listen, and even after extended listening the headphone still has a somewhat dark overall tone. The transition from the midrange is extremely smooth, and the relative lack of treble energy makes the headphones very forgiving. In comparison, the Sennheiser HD25 is brighter and more v-shaped overall, with treble that sounds a little tizzy and metallic next to the more relaxed H118.

The ADL H118 also boasts a very decent soundstage for a set of closed cans, easily beating the smaller V-Moda M-80 and especially the forward and aggressive HD25. With the H118, there is more air between instruments, and the lack of congestion really helps it sound more refined than most other closed sets with similarly plentiful bass. The H118 is also quite easy to drive – not as efficient as the M-80, but still very consistent and plenty loud across different sources.

The Bowers & Wilkins P5, would be another good suggestion IMO

bobohoro

Thanks a bunch!

Yeah, looking back, my post is kinda contradictionary, especially since I threw in the D2000 mention without a second thought.

The ADL H118 have me interested, never seen those before, but they look good and the sound description suits me fine. And I have a thing for more niche products, just seems more interesting to try out. Now I'm contradicting myself again since I wanted a safe/mainstream recommendation. I seem to have been searching for so long that I don't know what I want anymore. :D
Could get them for 210€ here, have to look into that.

The Momentum would be ~235€, will think about those once more. The P5 don't really do much for me in the design department, and they are On-Ear, aren't they?

HiResDes

Thanks a bunch!

Yeah, looking back, my post is kinda contradictionary, especially since I threw in the D2000 mention without a second thought.

The ADL H118 have me interested, never seen those before, but they look good and the sound description suits me fine. And I have a thing for more niche products, just seems more interesting to try out. Now I'm contradicting myself again since I wanted a safe/mainstream recommendation. I seem to have been searching for so long that I don't know what I want anymore. :D
Could get them for 210€ here, have to look into that.

The Momentum would be ~235€, will think about those once more. The P5 don't really do much for me in the design department, and they are On-Ear, aren't they?
I have small ears, but they fit over my entire ears. Were really comfortable, but sounded very similar to the Momentum to me, though I think the highs were slightly more rolled off.

You might like the Sony MDR-1 too.

bobohoro

I know I'm already getting sidetracked again and start flip-flopping around but: Read the soundandvision review on the H118 and they mentioned the Logitech UE 6000 being a better fit for more aggressive music. They were also on my list last year, so I had a look on amazon and they can be had for below 70€ now, which suprised me quite a bit. It's mighty tempting, since I would be saving money for some other purchases. The Audio Technica ATH-WS99 can also be had for around 100€ now, but I remember them not being that popular.

So, the UE 6000 for 70€ (although I hear complaints about isolation/leakage, really that bad?) or the H118/Momentum for triple the price? There are just too many headphones out there.

HiResDes

I know I'm already getting sidetracked again and start flip-flopping around but: Read the soundandvision review on the H118 and they mentioned the Logitech UE 6000 being a better fit for more aggressive music. They were also on my list last year, so I had a look on amazon and they can be had for below 70€ now, which suprised me quite a bit. It's mighty tempting, since I would be saving money for some other purchases. The Audio Technica ATH-WS99 can also be had for around 100€ now, but I remember them not being that popular.

So, the UE 6000 for 70€ (although I hear complaints about isolation/leakage, really that bad?) or the H118/Momentum for triple the price? There are just too many headphones out there.

The Audio Technica WS99 would be a great choice, but I'd definitely recommend buying some HM5 replacement pads for them as the stock ones are fucking awful. UE6000 have really shake build quality, but sound pretty good, definitely less warm and bassy than anything you seem to like though.

bobohoro

The Audio Technica WS99 would be a great choice, but I'd definitely recommend buying some HM5 replacement pads for them as the stock ones are fucking awful.

Reading up on them and yeah, I am starting to lean towards them. Just saw several conflicting reports on sound leakage/bad isolation and that they aren't that great on the go. Is that due to different pads or something else? I have smallish ears and listen at moderate volumes, if that has anything to do with it.

I'm looking for bluetooth headphones under 200,i have jaybirds bluebuds but the earpiece keeps falling out, I was looking at the jabra revos and the Sony mbr10rbt but the sonys don't fold, any opinions or other options?

HiResDes

Is it a open or closed headphone?
Would it compare better to the Grado SR-80/Grado 125?

They don't compare to the Grado's at all. They're closed and very warm, slightly dark sounding headphones. They have a bit rolled off treble, very thick and heavy mid-bass. Grado's are super bright open headphones with fast and somewhat light bass that punches rather than rumbles. Momentum sound good with jazz and rock. Grado's are for rock and metal.

What's a sturdy, and not white pair of earbuds/IEMs that will do well in a loud environment? I work around machines so it's hard to hear at the moment with the cheap ones I have. Would be using with a phone and while actively moving so it would be hard to bring a portable amp along. Don't mind spending more money for better quality, but given it'll be used with a phone is it worth it? Might also use them outside of work, but I have my big headphones for home use.

HiResDes

It's just that earphones like these:

Etymotic HF5
Etymotic MC3
TDK BA200
Meelectronic A161P
VSonic VC1000
Vsonic GR01
Yamaha EPH-100SL
Shure SE15
HisoundAudio HSE-C2

Isolate at such a high level passively that it makes higher costing and mostly worse sounding active cancelling earphones such a poor value.

What's a sturdy, and not white pair of earbuds/IEMs that will do well in a loud environment? I work around machines so it's hard to hear at the moment with the cheap ones I have. Would be using with a phone and while actively moving so it would be hard to bring a portable amp along. Don't mind spending more money for better quality, but given it'll be used with a phone is it worth it? Might also use them outside of work, but I have my big headphones for home use.

I'd go with one of the above earphones

I've owned one before. Didn't find it to be all that much better (read: a whopping $2,300 MSRP better) than a ($129) GEEK OUT 450 that I had. Yes, some of my phones like the UERM and K812 sounded their best to me out of the HUGO, but at the end of the day, I felt a lot better about pocketing the $2K. Purrin over at HF seems to think that the HUGO is incredibly mediocre for the price in his DAC shootout, so I guess there is that.

I've never dabbled in kilobuck, dedicated desktop components so I wouldn't know either way. I just found all of the hype painting it as a transportable unit that can hold its own against $5,000 desktop rigs to be very appealing. Also note that I never tested it with so called hires music, only FLAC/Redbook, but I don't really buy into the hires stuff, perhaps you do. Anyway, if you could score a listen for yourself, just so you can sleep better at night, by all means go for it. I don't lose sleep over selling mine fwiw

I've owned one before. Didn't find it to be all that much better (read: a whopping $2,300 MSRP better) than a ($129) GEEK OUT 450 that I had. Yes, some of my phones like the UERM and K812 sounded their best to me out of the HUGO, but at the end of the day, I felt a lot better about pocketing the $2K. Purrin over at HF seems to think that the HUGO is incredibly mediocre for the price in his DAC shootout, so I guess there is that.

I've never dabbled in kilobuck, dedicated desktop components so I wouldn't know either way. I just found all of the hype painting it as a transportable unit that can hold its own against $5,000 desktop rigs to be very appealing. Also note that I never tested it with so called hires music, only FLAC/Redbook, but I don't really buy into the hires stuff, perhaps you do. Anyway, if you could score a listen for yourself, just so you can sleep better at night, by all means go for it. I don't lose sleep over selling mine fwiw

The thing is I do not have the headphones for it yet. I was planning to get the OPPO pm2 and the ha-1 amp/DAC. It is just that at this price its hard to say no (40% off)

I don't have any DSD stuff with me right now as I'm travelling.

I played with the audeze lcd3 today but they are overpriced here.

If I can get it new at this price then get the OPPO pm2 then I think I will be ok with it.

I was v close to buying the ha1 as it looks like a much better constructed unit but at this price it is way too tempting...

Seems like a ripoff when most modern smartphones sound so good and there are decent budget DAPs out like the FiiO X1.
Modern smartphones sound awful and I've gotten pretty use to nicer sounds. Also, the x1 you mention would be a step down from my current CEntrance DacMini so don't really want to head that way.

I've decided against the Audeze LCD3 as its just too pricy at $2000. The OPPO is much better deal.

The only negative I see is that the Chord doesn't have a balanced input whereas the OPPO HA-1 does. I wonder if the increased power output from the Hugo will be offset by the lack of a balanced input...

darkwing

interesting to finally compare the ATH IM02 and the V-Moda M-80, I guess you could say the M80 is more forgiving of the sound source quality lol

Top Bottom