• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I have a MD 1.0 though. I see 3.2s (?) selling for little these days (250-ish?), so I doubt many would be all that interested in a non upgraded vanilla Mad Dog.

I haven't heard the AD so I can't comment. Didn't know that Dan was actually modding the drivers now for the AP. He's got a good rep in the community, and thanks to the MDs modularity, he'll always have some fans locked into his offerings. I guess the AP should be fine in that respect. Lots of people can't resist the allure of a new flagship anyhow ;)

I am curious to hear the AP though. I originally read some less than flattering comments from someone who's tried it over at Chang-star and sorta wrote it off. Apparently, it's supposed to be pretty lifeless at normal volumes or something. I dunno. It's probably best that I forget about it, I don't really need any more phones lol

And... yeah. I don't see myself hopping on a SR-007 anytime soon. I know a guy who can build me a KGSSHV at cost, but that's still very expensive considering I'd need to sink 2 grand into the phones themselves. That's why I was interested in the Lambda Nova Sig which is supposed to be Stax' smoothest stat outside of the 007. It used to cost nothing until all of the flippers got involved in the stat game.

it shouldn’t be hard to sell a mad dog for 200 bucks. that’s pretty fair as it sells for 300 new. of course, if it’s a hassle to dig out and take pictures of it and mail it, then it may not be worth it. depends on the situation. it’s not as bad as the resale on, say, redwineaudio gear. i took a bath on an Isabellina HPA unit around 3 years ago. ugh.

Listening to the Alpha Dogs, I honestly think that T50rp driver is doing some really great things, regardless of age. I thought the same of the mad dogs but the alphas have better soundstage and a more refined FR. there’s still room to make those suckers shine :)

apparently, Dan is finally making mods to the driver itself on the primes, as opposed to just cup mods which is what we have with the MD and AD. so that may account for some of the further improvements - and potentially for the extra jump in cost.

personally, if the AP can produce sound as enjoyable as other TOTL headphones, I don’t think the price will be a problem. and based on my AD listening today, I have little doubt he has done it. The AD are really great. AP, from all side by side listening impressions, are notably better still.

A 1k headphone isn’t meant to be a massive volume seller, anyway. But I think it’s fair for Dan to price the headphone at that point if it truly does compete in sound with the other 1000 to 1500 headphones out there, regardless of tech. If he priced it too low to start, he would be devaluing the item longterm.

getting into stax is interesting but I ended up preferring the impact you get from dynamics/planars more. and it seems like getting real slam from an 007 requires a ton of money for a boutique amp.

but don’t let that stop ya if you really want it :p They do sound incredibly clean and the tone of the 007 is awesome, combined with great detail and soundstage.

Lunar15

They have a lower sensitivity so they are a bit harder to drive, but I thought they sounded fine out of a Sansa Clip myself. What's your source?

I've been listening to FLACs via a player have on my computer. I dunno, I think I just have to get used to it. Like I said, I had those sennheisers since 2009, so I'm just really used to that sound. It could be that it's just more neutral with less bass than the Sennheisers are something. It's still a wonderful sound, so I'll be fine. I do feel like the soundstage is better than with my old ones, though.

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
Hey folks, newbie audio fan checking in.

Been spending way too much time over at headfi and spending even more money on gear lol.

So far I have picked up
- VSonic VSD3
- Havi B3 Pro 1
- KZ EDSE
- KZ ED3

I also have my first amp/dac on the way. I picked up the SMSL M2, which looks so purty.

Question: Is the Takstar Hi2050 a good pickup? It will be my first open pair. And also I have a chance to pick up the GR07BE for 99 brand new, would you say its worth the cost?

Thanks in advance :)

Also: I am hoping black Friday has deals on the M50x and vmoda m100! I can't believe I missed the $200 sennheiser IE80 sale at NCIX :(

Also pairing amps with headphones at this point isn't as dependent on synergy as you might think... Most headphones in the price range are going to sound just find with a schiit stack for example... It's a very neutral setup that won't color headphones anymore than they already are basically.
Also, the Schiit stack is on a different level than the Fiios, E17 or maybe the E18 (would be a better fit if you're android?), but the Fiios are portable which is a plus-- I used mine with my phone when I was on the road (just as an amp) and then plugged it into my work PC to use as an external DAC and amp.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
If you're looking to treat yourself in time for the holidays. You obviously need some kind of amp to take full advantage of these cans

Music to my ears Sennheiser HD 700 Audiophile Headphone save 44% plus free HD audio tracks from HDTRACKS
$423.96 after applying 2 coupon codes plus free $25 HD Tracks voucher from sennheiser.com
HD 700
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/audiophile-headphones-high-end-around-ear-hd-700

apply code at first page of checkout as this one expires 11/16:

then apply code in the same place until you get the price down to $423.96:
HDRADIO

This brings the total to $423.96 plus free shipping.

HiResDes

Just got my Rockets brehs, impressions are overly positive...Detail is pretty crazy, bass goes pretty low and is still quite fast and the midrange seems pretty lush. Kind of gives me an armature feel, but somehow with some of the impact that can only be found in dynamics...The fit is really flush though even with the small tips for me, like it seals almost too well. I have to struggle to get them out a bit.

Just got my Rockets brehs, impressions are overly positive...Detail is pretty crazy, bass goes pretty low and is still quite fast and the midrange seems pretty lush. Kind of gives me an armature feel, but somehow with some of the impact that can only be found in dynamics...The fit is really flush though even with the small tips for me, like it seals almost too well. I have to struggle to get them out a bit.

we talkin about these?

http://aurisonics.com/

If you're looking to treat yourself in time for the holidays. You obviously need some kind of amp to take full advantage of these cans

Music to my ears Sennheiser HD 700 Audiophile Headphone save 44% plus free HD audio tracks from HDTRACKS
$423.96 after applying 2 coupon codes plus free $25 HD Tracks voucher from sennheiser.com
HD 700

HDRADIO

price looks nice. not sure I can justify yet another pair of open cans.

any reviews worth reading for these to convince me?

HiResDes

Word.

v4FFcfE.jpg

FINALLY! Glad you finally got em. Gladder that you seem to enjoy them. May have taken awhile, but you landed, what I consider, to be one of the biggest steals in the history of IEMs. Nearly everyone in my tour has only positive things to say about em

mr stroke

HD 700

HDRADIO

fucking ordered!

Was going to buy the Denon D7100's but the Sen's HD700's at that price is a steal conisdering they are going for $600+ used open box on Ebay :eek:

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
fucking ordered!

Was going to buy the Denon D7100's but the Sen's HD700's at that price is a steal conisdering they are going for $600+ used open box on Ebay :eek:

Buy it....and then sell it if you don't like it. Audio gear tends to hold its value and at that price you can re-sell for no loss.

mr stroke

Did you just link to Cnet? Those guys are obligated to like... just about everything lol

I've never heard anything good about the HD700 from those "in the know"

It gets a "shit" rating here:

http://www.bestheadphonesguide.com/2012/06/hd700-review/

(For real, an actual "shit" rating lol)

Its FR graph is amazing as well:

02d9e23b_sunny.jpeg

I'd save the dough for something else

LOL

it was the first review I found on Google, and while I don't always trust them, their TV reviews are always on point(who knows about their Headphone reviews though?)

HD 700's seem to have mixed reviews on Head Fi(sounds like a good amp will make a world of difference) so hopefully I don't get screwed with a shit set of cans. But for the price I could't pass them up :p

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
CNET has never come across a pair of headphones they didn't like. Ever.

Been spending way too much time over at headfi and spending even more money on gear lol.

So far I have picked up
- VSonic VSD3
- Havi B3 Pro 1
- KZ EDSE
- KZ ED3

I also have my first amp/dac on the way. I picked up the SMSL M2, which looks so purty.

Question: Is the Takstar Hi2050 a good pickup? It will be my first open pair. And also I have a chance to pick up the GR07BE for 99 brand new, would you say its worth the cost?

Also: I am hoping black Friday has deals on the M50x and vmoda m100! I can't believe I missed the $200 sennheiser IE80 sale at NCIX :(
Advice:

Don't get caught up in buying every FOTM pair of headphones you see have a hype thread on head-fi. I see what you already have, then the list of what you're looking to buy, and my only thought is that you have no idea of what you're doing. Don't take that too harshly.

Listen to what you own, and let your ears learn the different sound signatures. Buying even more expensive IEMs at this point makes no sense, because you already have the Havi and VSD3. Have you listened to them, for long enough to even understand how good/bad they are?

Reading other people's thoughts on headphones is not the same as finding out whether your ears agree with them. Or what your ears actually like.

Food for thought.

LCfiner

Really, most reviews are pretty positive?
http://www.cnet.com/products/sennheiser-hd-700/

basing myself on personal experience. the mids suck out is way too much for a high end headphone. treble peakiness is unnatural (lots of rises and dips within treble region).

It can sound good with some modern recordings and pop as it has a fun signature but it’s not worth the money at 600. at 400, it’s OK, I suppose. I still prefer the sound of a lot of other headphones at ~$600. And I think, for a coloured, fun signature that Grado does it better, anyway.

For Sennheisers, the HD600/650 are much better in natural tonality - only issue is they have slightly muddier bass and need a more powerful amp compared to the HD700.

FoxSpirit

Yeah, I am occasionally giving the 700 and 800 a side by side listen, hooked up to a Lehman Cube. The 700 does not sound neutral and has none of the relaxed spaciousness of the 800.
Amps are a must for both but the 700 without a good amp sound really really bad. Ouch.

HiResDes

The detail on the Rockets is mind blowing, best midrange I've ever heard on an IEM. The bass doesn't go as low as some of my other IEMs, but my god the decay is so exact snares are great. The treble is a bit too nice in some regards, the details are all there, but the extension isn't what I'm used to as a former V-shape ambassador. I'm picking up crazy details in the reverb of singers and rappers like I can tell if they were really close or slightly too far from the mic. It's insane.

HiResDes, awhile ago I asked for suggestions for full sized headphones that had a similar sound to the Carbo Tenore/Bassos and you recommended the JVC S680s. I finally got a chance to visit an electronics shop and gave them a shot, but they sounded a bit veiled to me. One thing I like about my Bassos is how clear the mids are.

Before I said I was looking at closed back, but now I think I need to consider open as well. Do you have any other recommendations in the sub $150 area? I live in Japan so imports tend to be more expensive, but Japanese phones tend to be cheaper.

Thanks. I always appreciate your advice :)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
The detail on the Rockets is mind blowing, best midrange I've ever heard on an IEM. The bass doesn't go as low as some of my other IEMs, but my god the decay is so exact snares are great. The treble is a bit too nice in some regards, the details are all there, but the extension isn't what I'm used to as a former V-shape ambassador. I'm picking up crazy details in the reverb of singers and rappers like I can tell if they were really close or slightly too far from the mic. It's insane.

Where did you get 'em/how much?

HiResDes

HiResDes, awhile ago I asked for suggestions for full sized headphones that had a similar sound to the Carbo Tenore/Bassos and you recommended the JVC S680s. I finally got a chance to visit an electronics shop and gave them a shot, but they sounded a bit veiled to me. One thing I like about my Bassos is how clear the mids are.

Before I said I was looking at closed back, but now I think I need to consider open as well. Do you have any other recommendations in the sub $150 area? I live in Japan so imports tend to be more expensive, but Japanese phones tend to be cheaper.

Thanks. I always appreciate your advice :)
The ones with great midrange often don't have the sub bass impact on the level of the Carbo basso. Brainwavz Hm5 is a headphone with great midrange detail, comfort, isolation and soundstage, but the bass impact isn't very weighty at all. The Creative Aurvana Live have a good midrange and bass but the isolation isn't that great and the build quality isn't very good.

Edit: I just looked on Amazon. Jp and the Ultrasone HFI-580 are within your price range. If you can deal with a tight clamping force they sport the exact sound I think you're looking for

The ones with great midrange often don't have the sub bass impact on the level of the Carbo basso. Brainwavz Hm5 is a headphone with great midrange detail, comfort, isolation and soundstage, but the bass impact isn't very weighty at all. The Creative Aurvana Live have a good midrange and bass but the isolation isn't that great and the build quality isn't very good.

Edit: I just looked on Amazon. Jp and the Ultrasone HFI-580 are within your price range. If you can deal with a tight clamping force they sport the exact sound I think you're looking for
Very cool, thanks. I'll check out the Ultrasone HFI-580.

Lol, and to think you were so pissed off at one point that you were considering selling em without listening to em. Out of curiosity, what were you listening to before this?

I can't even do V shaped stuff no more. I recently reviewed this phone that was V shaped and it felt like all of the life was sucked out of the music. Felt bad man

HiResDes

Lol, and to think you were so pissed off at one point that you were considering selling em without listening to em. Out of curiosity, what were you listening to before this?

I can't even do V shaped stuff no more. I recently reviewed this phone that was V shaped and it felt like all of the life was sucked out of the music. Felt bad man
I have a few in the hundred dollar range, but I was enamored with my lowely GR02 Bass Edition more than anything up until now.

Still worth it IMO. Since the Rockets are the total package of excellent sound (at any price point really), tiny size, ridiculous build quality and lifetime warranty. You'd have to want a neutral sig that leans mid centric though. I think guys who enjoy stuff like the ER-4, Sony EX600/7550, UERM, Tenore, RE262 etc. would feel right at home.

I have a few in the hundred dollar range, but I was enamored with my lowely GR02 Bass Edition more than anything up until now.

Ah, glad you hopped on board then. I got two friends onto the KS, but neither of them really understand what they landed. They just think it sounds like their music is in hi def lol

Still worth it IMO. Since the Rockets are the total package of excellent sound (at any price point really), tiny size, ridiculous build quality and lifetime warranty. You'd have to want a neutral sig that leans mid centric though. I think guys who enjoy stuff like the ER-4, Sony EX600/7550, UERM, Tenore, RE262 etc. would feel right at home.

I see. I think the only IEM's I own at the moment are these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DCBBHK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I really didn't have any complains beyond just not using iem's much. Would they be that much better than these?

That's a doozy man. I've never heard the Triple Fi's if I'm being honest. Like I said, you'd have to be down with a neutral sig to begin with. Since the T-Fi is V-shaped its gonna have more emphasis towards bass and treble than the Rockets. I'm almost certain that the Rockets will have better/more realistic vocal/instrumental timbre than the T-Fi, and would induce nearly no fatigue at comfortable volumes for long hours. If you appreciate midrange in any way, the Rockets are absolutely stellar. I say this as someone who has owned or has heard damn near every single TOTL IEM in existence that isn't a custom. If you're looking for something more U/V shaped like the T-Fi, then I'd recommend looking into the JVC FX850. It's stupidly good for the price and should be seeing a price reduction now that the FX1100 is slated to hit the market.

HiResDes

So far I have picked up
- VSonic VSD3
- Havi B3 Pro 1
- KZ EDSE
- KZ ED3

That's a great deal on the GR07BE, and if you're okay with a very neutral and somewhat bass light headphones the Takstar Hi 2050 is a fantastic pickup as well.

That's a doozy man. I've never heard the Triple Fi's if I'm being honest. Like I said, you'd have to be down with a neutral sig to begin with. Since the T-Fi is V-shaped its gonna have more emphasis towards bass and treble than the Rockets. I'm almost certain that the Rockets will have better/more realistic vocal/instrumental timbre than the T-Fi, and would induce nearly no fatigue at comfortable volumes for long hours. If you appreciate midrange in any way, the Rockets are absolutely stellar. I say this as someone who has owned or has heard damn near every single TOTL IEM in existence that isn't a custom. If you're looking for something more U/V shaped like the T-Fi, then I'd recommend looking into the JVC FX850. It's stupidly good for the price and should be seeing a price reduction now that the FX1100 is slated to hit the market.

*takes notes*

thank you, sir!

Yep Amazon has them too.

Amazon reviews are saying they're rather fragile making them not suitable for exercise/workout purposes. The sound is supposedly amazing though. And some reviewers are also saying that Amazon is selling "fake" versions?

Edit:
The M6 seems to have more favorable reviews in terms of durability...

LJ11

Build quality on the Tenores sounds awful, any similar alternatives or is it worth jumping in and modding if necessary.

K.Jack

Build quality on the Tenores sounds awful, any similar alternatives or is it worth jumping in and modding if necessary.

Yeah the Tenore isn't the most sturdy of IEMs.

I'd check out the Hifiman RE300h or Havi B3 Pro 1. I'm hearing really good things about both of them.

mr stroke

Looks like Creative has a new high end Amp/Soundcard/DAC coming out next month

KDlMdk1.jpg

Creative X7

$500 :eek:

Really curious as to the quality, my Soundblaster Recon soundcard's headphone amp is pretty lack luster, but with this being "high end" with Dolby headphone processing it could be high end replacement for an Astro Mixamp.

K.Jack

How expensive do your phones have to be, to justify a $500 amp?

I clearly don't dream right enough.

HiResDes

Amazon reviews are saying they're rather fragile making them not suitable for exercise/workout purposes. The sound is supposedly amazing though. And some reviewers are also saying that Amazon is selling "fake" versions?

Edit:
The M6 seems to have more favorable reviews in terms of durability...
Yeah Delta and M6 have better build quality

Xcellere

Jumped on the $423 HD 700s yesterday, reminded me of the $200 HD 650 deal from last year.

I have a Schiit Audio Magni/Modi amp/DAC combo, should that be enough to drive the HD 700?

Top Bottom