• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

mr stroke

Found a nice deal($699) on these-

Denon AH-D7100

mowjta2.jpg

Worth it? I love my Denon D2000's, they are my most used cans since they don't need an amp and I love the Denon sound signature(basshead)

Karish

Looking for a comfortable, quality, bluetooth pair of headphones for around $50. Have tried Photives, August, and Soundbot, all too uncomfortable or too low quality.

HiResDes

There are a bunch of inexpensive amp/DACs that will improve the sound out of your PC a lot if you choose to go that route. I've been running with an NAD VISO HP50, which is comparable to your AT M50x, and my low-end external amp/DAC (Fiio E17) improves the sound quality noticeably.
Yeah depending on your soundcard this is the safest bet, almost every headphones improve when amped, but many people think the M50 sounds well enough without anything.

bobohoro

Got the ATH-WS99 today. Really like their design and they are quite comfortable, although people with moderate to big ears will have problems I'd guess, but I have the feeling that they leak way to much sound to use them on the go or in a library. Still have to test a bit. Sound is nice, a bit too much sub-bass, but that is still okay and might change with a bit of playtime.

Don't know if I'll keep them yet, the leakage might just be too much.

HiResDes

Got the ATH-WS99 today. Really like their design and they are quite comfortable, although people with moderate to big ears will have problems I'd guess, but I have the feeling that they leak way to much sound to use them on the go or in a library. Still have to test a bit. Sound is nice, a bit too much sub-bass, but that is still okay and might change with a bit of playtime.

Don't know if I'll keep them yet, the leakage might just be too much.
H118 isolate much better, but I didn't realize you had planned to use them in the library, would have thought you would have made a bigger deal about isolation and leakage being a factor in your picks

The asshole in Taiwan selling me the Hugo said he got the price wrong and it was actually $2000 so fuck that.

I still played with a few sets in the store just to see. The HD800 require too much lower to run, they are extremely inefficient and I don't like the sound.

The audeze LCD3 were decent but they are 3x the price of the OPPO PM2 which IMO,sound just as good,if not better.

HiResDes

The asshole in Taiwan selling me the Hugo said he got the price wrong and it was actually $2000 so fuck that.

I still played with a few sets in the store just to see. The HD800 require too much lower to run, they are extremely inefficient and I don't like the sound.

The audeze LCD3 were decent but they are 3x the price of the OPPO PM2 which IMO,sound just as good,if not better.

How do you feel about the Paradox Slants, Alpha Prime, and all of those high end mods.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mother of God. Guy on HF got to review the new Hifiman HE300, and preferred it to the Tenore, Havi B3, and the Pistons.

pull-me-back-in-o-1.gif~original

When did the ~$50 bracket become such a murderer's row?

brb buying

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Didn't those just drop to $50 on Amazon?

I'm so tempted.

edit: I think they went up to $80

How do you feel about the Paradox Slants, Alpha Prime, and all of those high end mods.
Haven't heard them at all so have no opinion. Since the Hugo fell through I'm 90% going through with the OPPO HA-1 and PM-2. I'll be heading down with my own source material in the next week before making the call

bobohoro

H118 isolate much better, but I didn't realize you had planned to use them in the library, would have thought you would have made a bigger deal about isolation and leakage being a factor in your picks

Pretty sure I mentioned it and marked it as important, but well, the ATH-WS99 aren't even that bad after some more testing, so no problem.

Had a few more spins with the ATH-WS99 and I'm still rather torn. They are great for Hardcore Punk (Dangers sound awesome for example) and rap of course, but stuff that needs a bit more breathing room (Enablers and their finely crafted Spoken Word Rock) or songs like Deafheaven's Sunbather that hide their melodies in between walls of sounds sound way too veiled and dark. That's because of recessed mids, right? Which is unfortunate, because that is the only flaw I can find right now, but probably becomes a dealbreaker.

So yeah, probably could go for something brighter than TMA-1, ATH-WS99 and even D2000 for a change. The ADL H118 still worth a look? And how portable are they really? They look kinda big in pictures.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Damn gonna wait for that fancy version.

Fancy version? Isn't that the RE300h? It's out.

Someone please help me understand what the specs are supposed to tell me.

300h:

• Frequency response: 15 Hz-22KHz
  • Impedance: 16 Ohms+/-3.2
  • Sensitivity: 108 dB/ 1mW 1KHZ
  • OCC cabling

300a/i:

• Frequency response: 20~20KHz
  • Impedance: 32 Ohm
  • Sensitivity: 108 dB/1mW 1KHZ

I'd go with the 300a for my Android phone, but sound quality matters more than anything.

HiResDes

Fancy version? Isn't that the RE300h? It's out.

Someone please help me understand what the specs are supposed to tell me.

300h:

• Frequency response: 15 Hz-22KHz
  • Impedance: 16 Ohms+/-3.2
  • Sensitivity: 108 dB/ 1mW 1KHZ
  • OCC cabling

300a/i:

• Frequency response: 20~20KHz
  • Impedance: 32 Ohm
  • Sensitivity: 108 dB/1mW 1KHZ

I'd go with the 300a for my Android phone, but sound quality matters more than anything.

If that frequency response
is actually accurate then the h version looks to sport a wider sonic range with the ability to go lower and extend its treble further. However, this doesn't say much about the balance of each, the h could potentially be more v shaped in sound signature. The lower impedance of the h might also make them slightly
easier to drive despite having identical sensitivity.
Pretty sure I mentioned it and marked it as important, but well, the ATH-WS99 aren't even that bad after some more testing, so no problem.

Had a few more spins with the ATH-WS99 and I'm still rather torn. They are great for Hardcore Punk (Dangers sound awesome for example) and rap of course, but stuff that needs a bit more breathing room (Enablers and their finely crafted Spoken Word Rock) or songs like Deafheaven's Sunbather that hide their melodies in between walls of sounds sound way too veiled and dark. That's because of recessed mids, right? Which is unfortunate, because that is the only flaw I can find right now, but probably becomes a dealbreaker.

So yeah, probably could go for something brighter than TMA-1, ATH-WS99 and even D2000 for a change. The ADL H118 still worth a look? And how portable are they really? They look kinda big in pictures.

Well the H118 fold pretty ergonomically and isolate better, but they still are a bit dark in tonality. If you really want more of a sense of space and better extended treble I think you should consider the NAD NAD Viso hp50, ask K. Jack how well they isolate... That'd be my only concern, oh and maybe they're slightly large for portability. The only other headphone I can think of that might suit given all of your requirements are the Soundmagic HP 150.

LCfiner

frequency response stats are always useless because they don’t give +/- dB levels for the range. Almost all companies do this

so, yeah, you can get a hypothetical headphone that can produce something at 10 Hz or 15 Hz.. but at -30 dB. Might as well be nothing.

as for the HF, there’s almost no musical info past 9 kHz and most people don’t hear past 16ish kHz, anyway.

the main thing I see from those hifiman IEM stats is that they’re super sensitive so get a clean source/amp with no hiss. they’ll be susceptible to hiss from poor sources.

side note: I got a set of MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs delivered today and am running them from a Schiit Asgard 2.

damn good headphones. full bodied mids, great bass extension. clean, low distortion. excellent detail and nice soundstage. imaging is awesome.

I may upgrade them to Alpha Primes next year if the bug bites.

lol I was gonna say man. The majority of IEMs have a hard time producing linear response down to 20 Hz let alone 15 lol. The HF claims always crack me up too. Especially Sony with their 100+ khz specs (SA5K, Qualia 010 and now the Z7)

Lookin forward to the Alpha Prime impressions. I still have a Mad Dog 1.0 that's collecting dust. I know all too well that I can't sell it due to the abysmal market value and have contemplated upgrading it to a pair of AD or perhaps AP just it can see some use, or if not, can draw more attention on the FS. Diminishing returns has me questioning whether the Prime would be worth the scratch though, especially since it's still using the T50's drivers? That's what'll always hold Dan back if so

I suppose the other thing is that pricing the AP at $999 puts Mr Speakers in a no man's land since his strength has always been in delivering high performance at low value. At $1000, the AP is up against some seriously stiff competition from every other flagship around

The only thing I'm sorta curious about these days is stats. I've been wanting to pick up a cheaper set of Stax just to get a feel for it, but no one sells Lambda Nova Sigs anymore. Everything aside from the 007 sounds like it'd be too bright/etched for me

LCfiner

it shouldn’t be hard to sell a mad dog for 200 bucks. that’s pretty fair as it sells for 300 new. of course, if it’s a hassle to dig out and take pictures of it and mail it, then it may not be worth it. depends on the situation. it’s not as bad as the resale on, say, redwineaudio gear. i took a bath on an Isabellina HPA unit around 3 years ago. ugh.

Listening to the Alpha Dogs, I honestly think that T50rp driver is doing some really great things, regardless of age. I thought the same of the mad dogs but the alphas have better soundstage and a more refined FR. there’s still room to make those suckers shine :)

apparently, Dan is finally making mods to the driver itself on the primes, as opposed to just cup mods which is what we have with the MD and AD. so that may account for some of the further improvements - and potentially for the extra jump in cost.

personally, if the AP can produce sound as enjoyable as other TOTL headphones, I don’t think the price will be a problem. and based on my AD listening today, I have little doubt he has done it. The AD are really great. AP, from all side by side listening impressions, are notably better still.

A 1k headphone isn’t meant to be a massive volume seller, anyway. But I think it’s fair for Dan to price the headphone at that point if it truly does compete in sound with the other 1000 to 1500 headphones out there, regardless of tech. If he priced it too low to start, he would be devaluing the item longterm.

getting into stax is interesting but I ended up preferring the impact you get from dynamics/planars more. and it seems like getting real slam from an 007 requires a ton of money for a boutique amp.

but don’t let that stop ya if you really want it :p They do sound incredibly clean and the tone of the 007 is awesome, combined with great detail and soundstage.

Lunar15

So I picked up the NVX XPT100's to replace my broken Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's. They're ultra comfortable, but I can't help feeling like the sound is a little more muted? I'm not well versed enough to tell you exactly what I'm hearing, but it's a little quieter and the highs are a little unnatural.

Jordan

Looking at getting a decent set of headphones for home and just need a bit of advice really.

I have been looking at getting the AKG K702 and purchasing the Schiit Magni & Modi. Only issue with this is being in the UK I'm likely to get hit with customs fees and I'm not sure how much - if anybody knows how much it's going to cost that would be great. If not, does anyone have any other suggestions for an Amp/DAC. I quite like how aesthetically pleasing the Magni & Modi are but it's not a requirement.

There are a bunch of inexpensive amp/DACs that will improve the sound out of your PC a lot if you choose to go that route. I've been running with an NAD VISO HP50, which is comparable to your AT M50x, and my low-end external amp/DAC (Fiio E17) improves the sound quality noticeably.

I'm actually reconsidering the Schiit stack HiResDes recommended after checking some reviews.

Do you guys think they would go well with the m50x?

I heard they work fine with the HD600 (I want to get these in the future).

HiResDes

I'm actually reconsidering the Schiit stack HiResDes recommended after checking some reviews.

Do you guys think they would go well with the m50x?

I heard they work fine with the HD600 (I want to get these in the future).

If you're gonna drop money on the stack get something that scales better than the M50. That's my opinion.

HiResDes

So I picked up the NVX XPT100's to replace my broken Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's. They're ultra comfortable, but I can't help feeling like the sound is a little more muted? I'm not well versed enough to tell you exactly what I'm hearing, but it's a little quieter and the highs are a little unnatural.
They have a lower sensitivity so they are a bit harder to drive, but I thought they sounded fine out of a Sansa Clip myself. What's your source?

I bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900s a few years ago and ~8 months ago one of the arms of the 3D wings just snapped from regular use. After using nothing but garbage for quite awhile I've been thinking about buying another pair because I like the sound quality so much. However, I don't want to have this happen again. I looked and never found replacement arms for sale anywhere and my set was out of warranty.

Basically does anyone else have experience with this pair and if so, is my issue common? I've googled quite a bit and never really found anyone mentioning the arm of the wings breaking, only the pads themselves.

HiResDes

And what do you think of the amp Union Carbine mentioned (Fiio E17) for the m50x? Or maybe you haven't tried it.

But thanks. I'll think about it.
I don't own the M50x, had the M50 back in the day and thought they were overrated... Supposedly the M50x sounds better and sports better comfort... I'd try them without anything first as I would any headphone and see how you like them unamped... Because if you like them without you can save money. Ultimately you're gonna either have to go to a guitar center or the like and try them or order them and try them yourself... Impressions and subjective reviews only go so far.

I don't own the M50x, had the M50 back in the day and thought they were overrated... Supposedly the M50x sounds better and sports better comfort... I'd try them without anything first as I would any headphone and see how you like them unamped... Because if you like them without you can save money. Ultimately you're gonna either have to go to a guitar center or the like and try them or order them and try them yourself... Impressions and subjective reviews only go so far.

Yes, I understand.

I asked because if I buy almost any of these more expensive headphones, I'll have to do it without being able to try them first (as well as the amp), since most aren't available in stores here.

There's a store that has the m50x though, I'll see if I can try them there.

HiResDes

Also pairing amps with headphones at this point isn't as dependent on synergy as you might think... Most headphones in the price range are going to sound just find with a schiit stack for example... It's a very neutral setup that won't color headphones anymore than they already are basically.

Top Bottom