• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Dunno whether anyone's interested but EarWerkz has a Kickstarter running for their 2 driver Supra universal IEM right now. You can nab a pair for quite a good price. $259 vs. the planned retail $389. The Supra is a neutral reference signature and workmanship on the shells looks to be extremely high quality. My friend ShotgunShane recently visited their facilities to write up a piece for Cymba Cavum and had nothing but good things to say about the custom EP-2 which the Supra is based on. Check it out here if you're interested. I hopped in the first 10 backers bracket

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/512959633/earwerkz-supra-the-universal-custom-in-ear-monitor

HiResDes

On a scale of 1 - Philips X1. How good are these? I need a pair of closed cans some times.
They're quite neutral, but I think they're one of the top three best headphones under $200 with this sound signature. Neutral, wide ranged, high isolation, great comfort.

Got the Brainwavz replacement ear pads for my JVC HA-S680 finally and they're much more comfortable than the stock-- they pretty much fit perfectly over my ears-- wonderful.

Addnan

They're quite neutral, but I think they're one of the top three best headphones under $200 with this sound signature. Neutral, wide ranged, high isolation, great comfort.
Cheers dude, it's being delivered tomorrow. We'll see how another pair I bought based on this thread turns out ;_; This thread is so bad for my wallet.

Fox1304

Finally received my Fidelio M1 and Momentum On-Ear ... Having a hard time deciding which one is the best ... The Senn is more to my taste music-wise, but the comfort of the M1 is much better, and the high seem less harsh. But the separation of the on ear is amazing ...
I'll have to leave a bit of time for the onear to stretch its legs to be fully fair though ...

Better deal than the HD700 IMO.
I've heard a lot of negative things about the HD700. Also, I see folks seem to like the HD600 as much or more as the HD650 (not that this would make it a bad choice).

A coworker of mine is rocking the HD600 here in the office and I had him give my ifi Micro iDSD a run this morning with his cans. From his IM: "dude your deck is SICK... the his are really clear, listening to vaccines now and all the crunch is crisp". I'm really happy with the purchase.

I made up my mind. I'm going to go for the Brainwavz HM5s. I was checking them out on mp4nation and noticed I can choose something free with them. They have an amp, the AP001, which seems about as basic as you can get. I was thinking of going for the dark red pads instead since they look pretty hot:
71AAzcISnRL._SL1500_.jpg
Or do you think that amp is worth considering? I don't own an amp, but I figure not having one will motivate me to get a FiiO or something one day.

HiResDes

Naw those pads are too hot to pass up, and trust me if you ever get another set you might want to have them handy. HM5 pads are fantastic.

BarneyBP

Could anyone please recommend a good, $250ish pair of around the ear wireless headphones? Call management and voice quality are important to me in addition to the music performance. Also... Good looks. Am I asking too much? I'm tempted by the Zik 2.0 but don't want to go that high.

Addnan

Got home to these...
nNM2E4gl.jpg

Soo comfy, going to listen to music now. Just from an initial listen I really like neutral sound and this seems to hold up pretty well.

So, should I get the el-cheapo hd700 refurb or a new hd650?

Also, wondering if anyone has heard the DJ line (hd8, hd7)? Can't find much about them. I wouldnt mind getting a single unit to replace my closed cans if they are good enough for at home studio use. Momentums don't fit my ears, so not an option.

HiResDes

So, should I get the el-cheapo hd700 refurb or a new hd650?

Also, wondering if anyone has heard the DJ line (hd8, hd7)? Can't find much about them. I wouldnt mind getting a single unit to replace my closed cans if they are good enough for at home studio use. Momentums don't fit my ears, so not an option.
The HD DJ8 are purportedly pretty good, but I don't get why people get so stuck on brands... I'd much rather own a pair of Nad viso hp50 than any of those Senns.

I wouldn't even think about dropping three hundred on the HD650 or 700 especially without being prepared to drop an equal amount on a tube setup. Also I just wouldn't personally go for the 700, as I prefer the 600.

The HD DJ8 are purportedly pretty good, but I don't get why people get so stuck on brands... I'd much rather own a pair of Nad viso hp50 than any of those Senns.

I wouldn't even think about dropping three hundred on the HD650 or 700 especially without being prepared to drop an equal amount on a tube setup. Also I just wouldn't personally go for the 700, as I prefer the 600.

Why a tube setup? Aren't the Senns rather warm sounding already?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Welcome to the GAF HD700 club :p

Curious, what type of Amp will you be using?

I am thinking about buying little thing for $68

Bravo Audio V2

PeECFZG.jpg

I'm not sure yet, I have that FiiO E17 which I could add a FiiO E09K to, though I'd like to try a tube amp for my first time as well.

The HD700's are a lot easier to power compared to the HD650's and HD800's.

The HD DJ8 are purportedly pretty good, but I don't get why people get so stuck on brands... I'd much rather own a pair of Nad viso hp50 than any of those Senns...
The NADs are great. From everything I've read, the HD700 seem to be disappointing too but I haven't heard them myself. I think the HD600 for that discounted price is a really good deal.

Welcome to the GAF HD700 club :p

Curious, what type of Amp will you be using?

I am thinking about buying little thing for $68

Bravo Audio V2

PeECFZG.jpg

Please don't. I know it looks cool and all, but for a bit more, the Geek Out would absolutely destroy it and allow you to upgrade your phones down the line without thinking too much about the chain behind it. All you first timers fretting over tube setups and DACs and whatnot really need to look into a Geek Out. It basically replaces those components in a setup the size of a box of matches. It'll also play virtually any format you can throw at it. Again you can tend to find these on HF's FS section for like $150-200.

In fact, here's one right here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/741523/pri...tion-high-power-amplifier-latest-firmware-1-5

It's stupidly good for the money/form factor. And yes, it can drive the HD700 like a champ:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/lhlabs-geek-out/reviews/11396

And for the record, LH has fixed the issue he mentioned with the volume spikes and wonky dual volume thing in the latest FW. The buttons just control the two digital filters now, there is no longer a 3D "Awesomifier" function, and the volume is controlled by your OS' master volume. The latest FW also has two digital filters for you to use.

Please don't. I know it looks cool and all, but for a bit more, the Geek Out would absolutely destroy it and allow you to upgrade your phones down the line without thinking too much about the chain behind it. All you first timers fretting over tube setups and DACs and whatnot really need to look into a Geek Out. It basically replaces those components in a setup the size of a box of matches. It'll also play virtually any format you can throw at it. Again you can tend to find these on HF's FS section for like $150-200...
It's a bit more money but a popular combo seems to be the Geek 450 feeding into a Leckerton UHA-6mk2.

It's a bit more money but a popular combo seems to be the Geek 450 feeding into a Leckerton UHA-6mk2.

The Leck is okay. I used to own one myself. I don't see any tangible benefits behind that combo, cause if you needed more power, you can just step up to the 720/1000 for less than throwing down for a Leck and a 450. A GO 1000 can drive a pair of LCD-3s or even the HD800 in a pinch.

The Leck is okay. I used to own one myself. I don't see any tangible benefits behind that combo, cause if you needed more power, you can just step up to the 720/1000 for less than throwing down for a Leck and a 450. A GO 1000 can drive a pair of LCD-3s or even the HD800 in a pinch.
Can't say I know exactly why they like the combo better than stepping up the GO models but that's what I've seen pretty consistently on Changstar.

Can't say I know exactly why they like the combo better than stepping up the GO models but that's what I've seen pretty consistently on Changstar.

Hmmm probably amplifying the GO 450's line out signal cause they favor its linearity. I think CeeTee said something about the GO1000 being U shaped in response vs the 450. I can't comment either way since I only have the 450. The Leck is a very clean, neutral amp, I will say that much. Makes sense to pair it with the 450 if you find the 450 struggles with more demanding phones but you like its sig

Top Bottom