• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

Easy question that my googlefu is letting me down answering: what, if any, comply foam tips are compatible with the vsonic gr07 bass editions? And if none (which the comply page seems to suggest), what tips exist that can do a similar job?

I'm primarily interested in tips that don't wriggle loose while lawn mowing or gentle exercise. I'm currently using reasonably large, black double flanged rubber tips that came with the gr07s and they work merely OK.

Also, when you suddenly feel the need to have another pair of cans in your collection, is it called getting itchy ears? Like itchy feet when you're bored?
The Comply TS400 will fit and sound the best, but are quite expensive.

Duxxy3

Let's be honest probably not. Spend a little more and get some Panasonic RTF600 if you care about sound.

Portapro's are $25. Would recommend the Koss over the Panny's just on build quality alone.

Assuming the other person is willing to accept the portapro's openness... and excellent styling.

edit: holy shit, the panasonic's went up in price

Can the experts at GAF recommend me a decent mid-tier combo of headphone and DAC that will go well together? This will only be used at home with my desktop PC. Budget is around $700 total.

I'm currently using the Audio Technica ATH-M50 connected to an Asus Essence STX sound card. Would I be able to get a noticeable upgrade with my allocated budget? There is a pretty annoying hiss/static noise with this setup which is one of the reasons I want to upgrade.

I think the most important thing for me is comfort. I have a pretty big head and big ears that stick out so the M50s would get pretty sweaty/uncomfortable after an hour or so of usage.

I listen to pretty much any genre - hip hop, rock, pop, gaming - but I like bass and mids more than treble.

Fox1304

Would it be a solid investment to buy a Fiio X1/X3 when I already have a Sansa clip ?
Currently as headphones I have a Fidelio M1, Momentum On-Ear, AKG K845BT ... Thinking about buying a QC25 also.
Will the sound difference be felt ?

Tommy DJ

Can the experts at GAF recommend me a decent mid-tier combo of headphone and DAC that will go well together? This will only be used at home with my desktop PC. Budget is around $700 total.

I'm currently using the Audio Technica ATH-M50 connected to an Asus Essence STX sound card. Would I be able to get a noticeable upgrade with my allocated budget? There is a pretty annoying hiss/static noise with this setup which is one of the reasons I want to upgrade.

Does the hissing comes from the front panel 3.5mm jack or do you also get hissing if you plug your headphones straight into the sound card?

Bacon

Are Koss portapro's actually good headphones? Is it a situation where they are "good for the price"?

Thinking about picking up a pair - I've never really ventured beyond the $10-$15 range for headphones before so I'm basically clueless.

HiResDes

Are Koss portapro's actually good headphones? Is it a situation where they are "good for the price"?

Thinking about picking up a pair - I've never really ventured beyond the $10-$15 range for headphones before so I'm basically clueless.
They're quite good, very similar to the Sennheiser PX100,but be warned they are quite open and look funny.

I've been bitten by the headphone bug and am already thinking about my next pair. I have IEMs and headphones for home that I'm happy with, but no portable cans. I'm thinking about the JVC S500s.

After a few months deliberation I've picked up a pair of AKG K550's for £98, holy shit I'm in heaven.

I've got a FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 coming tomorrow just in case I need a boost.

Did I do good?

HiResDes

After a few months deliberation I've picked up a pair of AKG K550's for £98, holy shit I'm in heaven.

I've got a FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 coming tomorrow just in case I need a boost.

Did I do good?
Yes!

I'd definitely recommend the JVCs with the replacement earpads-- they're breaking in nicely and, with the new cups, are very comfortable.

Yeah I didn't realize the Panny's had gone up in price so much, they use to be around $25, but if you're gonna shell out for the panny's might as well step it up to the JVCs.

Just wanted to pass along a heads-up: I got a Paypal deal in my inbox this morning for three months of Spotify Premium for $0.99. Unfortunately, I don't have a link to it on me but I'm sure it can probably be found with some searching.

NotBacon

I'm worried about not picking components that compliment eachothers signatures well.

I already ordered a FiiO X1. I'm going to assume the DAC in it is perfectly fine and I don't need an external one?

To go with it: AKG Q701 + FiiO Kilimanjaro2 or JDS O2? Or something else?

I'm torn, because the X1 is pretty small and a portable amp sounds convenient, but then I hear about how they sacrifice in quality to make things small, and how the JDS O2 is godlike, etc.

HiResDes

I wouldn't get anything to go with X1, they should be able to drive the Q701 just fine. If you have to pair something to go with your DAP you're kind of defeating the purpose of having a DAP.

I'm worried about not picking components that compliment eachothers signatures well.

I already ordered a FiiO X1. I'm going to assume the DAC in it is perfectly fine and I don't need an external one?
I've got an X5 and I love it to bits so far. Frankly, for my level of ear development and portability, it's perfectly excellent and I'd bet the X1 isn't too far behind it.

To go with it: AKG Q701 + FiiO Kilimanjaro2 or JDS O2? Or something else?

I'm torn, because the X1 is pretty small and a portable amp sounds convenient, but then I hear about how they sacrifice in quality to make things small, and how the JDS O2 is godlike, etc.
head-fi loves the O2 but others aren't quite so keen (go to changstar.com and you'll find a lot of counter-opinions on the JDS gear).

As far the JDS vs. the Fiio, I think the O2 might be the more popular choice but I don't know if it's better. A lot of folks like the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII as an AMP. If you're settled on the X1 as your DAP, I'd just get that and hear how it sounds with your 'phones and then, if you need more than it gives you natively, look for an amp and/or DAC to feed it to.

I wouldn't get anything to go with X1, they should be able to drive the Q701 just fine. If you have to pair something to go with your DAP you're kind of defeating the purpose of having a DAP.

This so much. I see people on HF building these ridiculous stacks with chunky interconnects and they're all banded together into this heavy brick that's 5 inches thick or something and it's like why. You might as well invest in a desktop rig cause that shit ain't portable

So I usually use Head-fi to get my info, but their forum has become more and more of a mess I find. Any recommendation on cheap IEMs?

So I usually use Head-fi to get my info, but their forum has become more and more of a mess I find. Any recommendation on cheap IEMs?
A lot of people seem to like the Pistons and Tenores. I ordered a pair of the Pistons for my wife for Christmas so I'll soon get to see and hear them first hand.

NotBacon

So you think the difference on the X1 between HO and LO + ext. amp would be negligible in SQ? I just always hear about how you need a nice amp to really make some of the higher-end phones shine.

As a side note, since I'm indecisive and worried, I like everything I hear about the Q701 except that it might be too analytical. Since you're the oracle:

Are there any open-back phones similar to the Q/K701 (great soundstage, details/clarity) but more "fun" sounding?

Thanks!

I've got an X5 and I love it to bits so far. Frankly, for my level of ear development and portability, it's perfectly excellent and I'd bet the X1 isn't too far behind it.

head-fi loves the O2 but others aren't quite so keen (go to changstar.com and you'll find a lot of counter-opinions on the JDS gear).

As far the JDS vs. the Fiio, I think the O2 might be the more popular choice but I don't know if it's better. A lot of folks like the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII as an AMP. If you're settled on the X1 as your DAP, I'd just get that and hear how it sounds with your 'phones and then, if you need more than it gives you natively, look for an amp and/or DAC to feed it to.

Thanks!

HiResDes

So you think the difference on the X1 between HO and LO + ext. amp would be negligible in SQ? I just always hear about how you need a nice amp to really make some of the higher-end phones shine.

As a side note, since I'm indecisive and worried, I like everything I hear about the Q701 except that it might be too analytical. Since you're the oracle:

Are there any open-back phones similar to the Q/K701 (great soundstage, details/clarity) but more "fun" sounding?

Thanks!

Thanks!
Q701 don't require a lot of voltage to drive. The built-in DAC and amp of the X1 should do the job fine. However you can't use the X1 as a DAC for other sources so you might want to pick up something cheap like the Fulla for your home setup... Or grab the X3 instead, which can be used as a DAC for external sources.

The DT880 are pretty similar, but have slightly more warmth to the.

HIFIMAN HE-400 are a lot more still have a high level of clarity, but aren't quite as open sounding. razerdog has them on sale for 240, which is a pretty good deal.

Soundmagic HP200 also are a bit more fun, just as analytical, but definitely aren't as airy sounding sporting a much more intimate soundstage.

Let's be honest probably not. Spend a little more and get some Panasonic RTF600 if you care about sound.

Cool, thank you :)

Portapro's are $25. Would recommend the Koss over the Panny's just on build quality alone.

Assuming the other person is willing to accept the portapro's openness... and excellent styling.

edit: holy shit, the panasonic's went up in price

I do have portapros from last years black friday sale when it was $23 with free shipping, I'd just finally like some headphones that surround my ear. (I use the porta pros for walking)

Duxxy3

Cool, thank you :)

I do have portapros from last years black friday sale when it was $23 with free shipping, I'd just finally like some headphones that surround my ear. (I use the porta pros for walking)

If you're looking at the panasonics I STRONGLY suggest spending the extra $10 ($5 right now) and getting the Creative Aurvana Live! at $50. World of difference in sound quality.

HiResDes

If you're looking at the panasonics I STRONGLY suggest spending the extra $10 ($5 right now) and getting the Creative Aurvana Live! at $50. World of difference in sound quality.
Yeah I'd agree with that assessment. jvc s680 also are a great value.

Yeah, I just saw them and I'm $8.50 short of my giftcard balance to get them.. How long will they be on sale? My ears are about 4 1/2 inches tall and 3 1/2 inches wide from the ear hole.

NotBacon

Q701 don't require a lot of voltage to drive. The built-in DAC and amp of the X1 should do the job fine. However you can't use the X1 as a DAC for other sources so you might want to pick up something cheap like the Fulla for your home setup... Or grab the X3 instead, which can be used as a DAC for external sources.

The DT880 are pretty similar, but have slightly more warmth to the.

HIFIMAN HE-400 are a lot more still have a high level of clarity, but aren't quite as open sounding. razerdog has them on sale for 240, which is a pretty good deal.

Soundmagic HP200 also are a bit more fun, just as analytical, but definitely aren't as airy sounding sporting a much more intimate soundstage.

Thanks for the insight. Those HE-400s look mighty nice. Their impedance is only 32ohms so it should just be plug and play with any source right?

My ath-m50s are getting jealous at the moment...

Duxxy3

Yeah, I just saw them and I'm $8.50 short of my giftcard balance to get them.. How long will they be on sale?

Been on sale for almost 2 days now. Price usually averages around $70.

edit: just saw your edit. the CAL!'s might be on ear for you.

S680 is smaller than the CAL! (I've had both). The JVC's make for a more comfortable on ear though.
With the brainwavz replacement pads, the JVCs become much bigger-- I have big ears and I find them very comfortable. It's another piece to order and it adds to the cost but was worth the money and extra hassle for me.

FoxSpirit

Got the JVC flats for 20 eurobucks. Overall very nice though claims of "as good as 100 bucks" is a bit exagerated. Overall very balanced, bass goes deep but lacks authority. Detailed with some treble hardness. Distorts more if things get really electronic-complex. Good build quality, good looks.

Worth the money but expected a bit more from the praise.

mr stroke

Thanks for the insight. Those HE-400s look mighty nice. Their impedance is only 32ohms so it should just be plug and play with any source right?

My ath-m50s are getting jealous at the moment...

I have used the HE-400's with both my Macbook Pro and gaming PC(with a Creative Soundcard) and a cheap Fiio Amp and the difference with the Amp is night and day.

It's nice having small ears. Pannys are slightly bigger than CALS. So they might indeed be the safest choice.

I pulled the trigger just a few moments ago.

The pannys were $44 with free shipping on Amazon and my $5 bing card just came through this morning. Hope that the hunt for fitting headphones is over for a good while.

I'm always a fan of over-the-ear headphones and while the porta-pros are good, I'm getting a pair that can give even less pressure on the ears (it takes a couple of hours, but even portas can hurt).

Top Bottom