• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Does anyone have any experience with the Fiio E7 model? Bought one and it works great, when plugged into my PC, but the battery can't hold a charge at all. Anyone know how to fix this?

I have one I used for about a year and a half at work. Never had that issue. might want to contact fiio.

FoxSpirit

I think im heading down a really dark path. While i was set on the oppo, ive been in contact with Ray Samuels about purchasing the Darkstar...it's just so damn beautiful but it requires a completely separate DAC - which will also kill my budget.

20130727_155916.jpg

Also been looking at the BMC PureDAC.

B-M-C-PureDAC-f630x378-ffffff-C-5a42cc4d-80892314.jpg

So few sites have done a comparison vs the OPPO HA-1 so it's a really difficult decision.

If anyone has impressions on the PureDAC id really like to hear it.
I have an opinion on website reviews: don't trust them. The reviewers have trained ears but most have no frame of reference to work against except "sounds better to me".
On the other hand, I trust Oppo a lot. Their AV stuff is absolutely top class from performance and technical viewpoints and I trust their AmpDAC to not be behind in the slightest. Aside from that, it's your money. :)

Oh, and from experience: don't overspend ever. You'll justify your purchase before yourself because your wallett felt the impact and that makes your judgement cloudy.

I have an opinion on website reviews: don't trust them. The reviewers have trained ears but most have no frame of reference to work against except "sounds better to me".
On the other hand, I trust Oppo a lot. Their AV stuff is absolutely top class from performance and technical viewpoints and I trust their AmpDAC to not be behind in the slightest. Aside from that, it's your money. :)

Oh, and from experience: don't overspend ever. You'll justify your purchase before yourself because your wallett felt the impact and that makes your judgement cloudy.
I agree with you on the oppo. I love the 105 BD player and I think they are a great company.

If I get the ha-1 and decide I need more power, I can just use the oppo as a dac and get something else to use as the amplifier and connect them I guess.

ELAMOR

i planning getting my first pair of headphones, should i get the AKG 271 MKII or the audio technica thm 50? my budget is $150 any ecommendations?

i planning getting my first pair of headphones, should i get the AKG 271 MKII or the audio technica thm 50? my budget is $150 any ecommendations?

I own the 271s, and really like them. They come with detachable cables (coiled and straight), and two pairs of cushions (pleather and velour; velour is the best). The sound stage is intimate, like you're front row in a small venue. Amazing mids; vocals sound great on them. There is a bass presence, nice and tight, but if you're a bass head you'd be disappointed with them. I don't own the M50s, but have spent maybe 30 minutes demoing them in store. Bass is stronger at the expense of mids, but I think they're a good all rounder for most music genres. The 271s aren't great with hip hop or other genres where the low end is emphasized.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Does anyone know Amazon's policy on returning open headphones? Are you able to or are you out of luck?

Amazon is usually extremely reasonable with returns.

I would recommend opening up a chat with them to get a return authorization created.

ELAMOR

I own the 271s, and really like them. They come with detachable cables (coiled and straight), and two pairs of cushions (pleather and velour; velour is the best). The sound stage is intimate, like you're front row in a small venue. Amazing mids; vocals sound great on them. There is a bass presence, nice and tight, but if you're a bass head you'd be disappointed with them. I don't own the M50s, but have spent maybe 30 minutes demoing them in store. Bass is stronger at the expense of mids, but I think they're a good all rounder for most music genres. The 271s aren't great with hip hop or other genres where the low end is emphasized.

thanks, i listen a lot of jazz so i will go for the 271s

What are the key benefits of balanced versus unbalanced amps? The Burson Audio Conductor has always been my dream machine.

From Musician's Friend:
Unbalanced connections are usually adequate for home studio and stage rigs where there are no long cable runs. But if if you need lengthy cables in your setup or are working with very low signal levels such as recording a softly played acoustic guitar with a dynamic mic, balanced connections will help keep your high-gain signal noise-free.
From my understanding, from a listener standpoint, unbalanced audio is susceptible to much more noise than balanced. However depending on your setup (length of the cables is a big factor as well as, presumably, if there are any sources of interference around), that might be a non-issue.

HiResDes

I gotta recommend the Brainwavz Hm5/NVX XPT100's over the 271s...Very similar, but I feel like the the latter phones are a bit more versatile in their overall response.

Tommy DJ

What are the key benefits of balanced versus unbalanced amps? The Burson Audio Conductor has always been my dream machine.

If the hardware that uses balanced input/outputs are actually designed properly (i.e actually uses differential signalling), it will reduce audibility of system noise. Balanced is called balanced because impedance remains the same at source and load. Since interference will have the same impact to both positive and negative wires, the amplifier just chucks out anything that is identical and passes the difference.

On a side note, those balanced RCA cables peddled by Monster are complete bullshit because at the end of the day, RCA cables are RCA cables.

Musicians use balanced interconnects since much of the equipment they use have extremely large impedance, put out low-level signals, sometimes are of very questionable internal condition, and the site is nearly always a jungle of cables and powered devices.

None of this is a real problem with regards to headphones...if you have balanced I/O, I would definitely use it. If you don't have balanced I/O, its doubtful you'll get anything significant out of upgrading to balanced I/O. If the Burson Audio Conductor sounds amazing to your ears, I wouldn't worry about the lack of balanced I/O. Audiophile stuff in general don't seem to make a whole lot of unwanted noise.

HiResDes

If the hardware that uses balanced input/outputs are actually designed properly (i.e actually uses differential signalling), it will reduce audibility of system noise. Balanced is called balanced because impedance remains the same at source and load. Since interference will have the same impact to both positive and negative wires, the amplifier just chucks out anything that is identical and passes the difference.

On a side note, those balanced RCA cables peddled by Monster are complete bullshit because at the end of the day, RCA cables are RCA cables.

Musicians use balanced interconnects since much of the equipment they use have extremely large impedance, put out low-level signals, sometimes are of very questionable internal condition, and the site is nearly always a jungle of cables and powered devices.

None of this is a real problem with regards to headphones...if you have balanced I/O, I would definitely use it. If you don't have balanced I/O, its doubtful you'll get anything significant out of upgrading to balanced I/O. If the Burson Audio Conductor sounds amazing to your ears, I wouldn't worry about the lack of balanced I/O. Audiophile stuff in general don't seem to make a whole lot of unwanted noise.
Big big thanks.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Anybody have a recommendation for a cable for the HD598s, preferably with an L shaped plug?

And just for audio cables in general. My Amperior cables are both quitting on me, and I need some longer ones for my receiver.

One more swing at that.

Also, my Hifiman RE-300h's came in and absolutely shocked me. Perfect fit, super comfortable, and sound that I did not expect.

tHoMNZ

Decided to join the club, I spend a fair bit on GPUs/CPUs etc, so why not quality sound. Irdered a philips x1 on amazon for $249. I'm planning to run it off my soundblaster x-fi gamer soundcard. This should work quite well right?

mr stroke

I've been sniffing at Sennheiser HD 700. Are there any other headphones I should look at?

at full price($800?) probably

but if you can snag those HD700's for cheap I can't recommend them enough. After a week of listening to the HD700's I am blown away, they are by far the best headphones I have ever used. They blow away my other favorite cans-HiFiMan - HE-400's. And just flat out sound fucking incredible.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
One more swing at that.

Also, my Hifiman RE-300h's came in and absolutely shocked me. Perfect fit, super comfortable, and sound that I did not expect.

Yeah the 300h is pretty great. Have had mine for about a week and am enjoying them a lot.

They have a very fun sound signature.

I don't have a cable rec for you, sorry.
Oh that looks nice. Might order one for my little brother.

Of course I just bought an E10K like yesterday.

I got my X1's last night. I was too tired to even open the box when I finally had free time. Tonight I'm waiting for me to get a moment to myself so I can try them out.

Granadier

Of course I just bought an E10K like yesterday.

Supposedly the Fulla is overall better than the E10K, but it uses a potentiometer vs. the volume chip in the E10K. If that's what you prefer, then you picked the right one.

I'm personally going to order a Fulla or E10K once I decide on which pair of cans to go with.

----

Side note. Have any of you tried out Tidal HiFi? I just started a 2-week trial, and it seems to be much higher quality than Spotify. I'm no experienced audiophile though, so I was curious what your opinions are.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Supposedly the Fulla is overall better than the E10K, but it uses a potentiometer vs. the volume chip in the E10K. If that's what you prefer, then you picked the right one.

I'm personally going to order a Fulla or E10K once I decide on which pair of cans to go with.

----

Side note. Have any of you tried out Tidal HiFi? I just started a 2-week trial, and it seems to be much higher quality than Spotify. I'm no experienced audiophile though, so I was curious what your opinions are.

Can you explain to me, what that even means, so far as volume/SQ?

Side note: I'm still using Rhapsody for some reason. I guess I'm a ludite. They literally just started 320kps music.

Granadier

Can you explain to me, what that even means, so far as volume/SQ?

Side note: I'm still using Rhapsody for some reason. I guess I'm a ludite. They literally just started 320kps music.

I barely know. It was explained better here.

I got my Creative Aurvana Live headphones.

My bar was pretty low, the only other headset I had was a turtle beach px21.

And WOW. These are clear. Sat and just listened to music in bliss. The Mirrors Edge OST by Solar Fields is one of my favorite game soundtracks and that sounded amazing. Listened to a bunch of other stuff too.

Now to try them with some blurays and games...

And these aren't even high end. I still have so many levels of audio orgasms to experience in the future.

darkwing

Decided to join the club, I spend a fair bit on GPUs/CPUs etc, so why not quality sound. Irdered a philips x1 on amazon for $249. I'm planning to run it off my soundblaster x-fi gamer soundcard. This should work quite well right?

yes, it should be fine

elfinke

Easy question that my googlefu is letting me down answering: what, if any, comply foam tips are compatible with the vsonic gr07 bass editions? And if none (which the comply page seems to suggest), what tips exist that can do a similar job?

I'm primarily interested in tips that don't wriggle loose while lawn mowing or gentle exercise. I'm currently using reasonably large, black double flanged rubber tips that came with the gr07s and they work merely OK.

Also, when you suddenly feel the need to have another pair of cans in your collection, is it called getting itchy ears? Like itchy feet when you're bored?

NotBacon

I'm planning on getting the AKG Q701 and maybe an E17 or JDS O2 to go with my FiiO X1. Does that setup sound good/coherent for someone on a budget?

Also, would that make my 320kbps mp3 music collection sound terrible? At what point does it make sense to go to higher resolution files?

Also it seems like the Senn. HD600 is pretty much the gold standard in the $200-$500 range, but many people are praising the AKG K701/K702/Q701 and even saying it sounds better than the HD600. Clearer details, better soundstage, etc. I'm obviously leaning to the Q701 since it's only $190.

What's GAFs opinion on this comparison?

Edit: And the Schiit Fulla I guess now. I wonder how that will compare to the E17...

Cactus

Banned
The headphones I've been using for the last few years stopped working today. They were relatively cheap, so I'm planning to spend a bit more coin and buy a high quality pair.

I was considering the Sennheiser 598, but the stuff I read in another topic about the comparatively poor bass sound is kind of scaring me off (I listen mostly to bass-heavy rock and metal).

Can somebody recommend me a good pair? I know almost nothing about this stuff and I'm looking for similar quality/price as the aforementioned 598s

I don't have a real need for it... but I ordered a Fulla from Schiit for fun.

I can use it with my notebook or my surface at work if nothing else :)

I'm planning on getting the AKG Q701 and maybe an E17 or JDS O2 to go with my FiiO X1. Does that setup sound good/coherent for someone on a budget?

Also, would that make my 320kbps mp3 music collection sound terrible? At what point does it make sense to go to higher resolution files?

Also it seems like the Senn. HD600 is pretty much the gold standard in the $200-$500 range, but many people are praising the AKG K701/K702/Q701 and even saying it sounds better than the HD600. Clearer details, better soundstage, etc. I'm obviously leaning to the Q701 since it's only $190.

What's GAFs opinion on this comparison?

Edit: And the Schiit Fulla I guess now. I wonder how that will compare to the E17...

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. As long as it's well encoded 320 MP3 or AAC you should be fine. The need for FLAC and higher res files is hilariously overstated. Save your space for something else.

Hey guys,

Need recommendations for new headphones. I've had my ATH-M50s for about 2 years now I think and they're great but I'm thinking about getting a new pair for home use and leave the M50s at my office so I dont have to carry em every day.

I love the M50s but I would like more noise cancellation and more ear comfort. Since these new ones will be for home use only, I dont mind if they look kinda crazy. Budget is $250 but I can go up to $300 if theyre really worth it!

terrible

Banned
I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. As long as it's well encoded 320 MP3 or AAC you should be fine. The need for FLAC and higher res files is hilariously overstated. Save your space for something else.

How well your music was mastered should be your only real concern really. Unfortunately the reality is most newer stuff is way too loud. That was the biggest shocker for me when I got my first half decent pair of headphones. I personally still do rip my CDs to FLAC but I'd be lying if I said I could actually tell the difference between 320 and lossless.

HiResDes

The headphones I've been using for the last few years stopped working today. They were relatively cheap, so I'm planning to spend a bit more coin and buy a high quality pair.

I was considering the Sennheiser 598, but the stuff I read in another topic about the comparatively poor bass sound is kind of scaring me off (I listen mostly to bass-heavy rock and metal).

Can somebody recommend me a good pair? I know almost nothing about this stuff and I'm looking for similar quality/price as the aforementioned 598s
Are you looking for open headphones specifically? What exactly is your budget? What kind of music do you like most?

at full price($800?) probably

but if you can snag those HD700's for cheap I can't recommend them enough. After a week of listening to the HD700's I am blown away, they are by far the best headphones I have ever used. They blow away my other favorite cans-HiFiMan - HE-400's. And just flat out sound fucking incredible.
If you go $200 more you can get the Hd800s from buysonic. Totally worth it for Sennheiser's best set.

HiResDes

I haven't seen any headfi artricles for the MQbix MQHT series of headphones, are they any good? (The monoprice 8323's cups were a tad too small and they were a tight grip on my head)

They got cool colors and are only around $18 USD. I like this color:
Let's be honest probably not. Spend a little more and get some Panasonic RTF600 if you care about sound.

Top Bottom