• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Thinking about getting the Creative Aurana Live headphones on Amazon for $73.

Anyone have experience with them? Only thing I'm concerned about is build quality.

Question for you all.

Finally starting to mess with a amp for my 598s. Had them for years but I went ahead and bought a inexpensive Fiio E6 for now. I know a lot of you will probably scoff at it but hey...gotta start somewhere :p

Onto the question, I have a sound card in my computer. Should I leave that in and use the amp with it?

darkwing

Question for you all.

Finally starting to mess with a amp for my 598s. Had them for years but I went ahead and bought a inexpensive Fiio E6 for now. I know a lot of you will probably scoff at it but hey...gotta start somewhere :p

Onto the question, I have a sound card in my computer. Should I leave that in and use the amp with it?

What sound card do you have

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Would a set of AKG 550's need to be amped, or could they run off the output of a Macbook Pro?

edit: The 545's were previously recommended to me, so should those be the ones to go for if I'm running un-amped?

I think im heading down a really dark path. While i was set on the oppo, ive been in contact with Ray Samuels about purchasing the Darkstar...it's just so damn beautiful but it requires a completely separate DAC - which will also kill my budget.

20130727_155916.jpg

Also been looking at the BMC PureDAC.

B-M-C-PureDAC-f630x378-ffffff-C-5a42cc4d-80892314.jpg

So few sites have done a comparison vs the OPPO HA-1 so it's a really difficult decision.

If anyone has impressions on the PureDAC id really like to hear it.

tokkun

My budget is not more than $100. My sources are phones, laptops, desktops. I want a great deal.

Schiit is releasing a portable Amp/DAC called the Fulla within the next few months for $80. It seems like it may be an excellent value if it is of similar quality to the other products they make. I would wait for reviews on that.

Cels

Unless your listening from a good source I'd definitely recommend getting something with a built-in in DAC like the E7. Without a good source the DT770 can sound a bit muddy due to the mid bass bloat.

I'll look at the E07K as that seems to be the successor to the E7 (discontinued)

I dont know much about amps, but was looking for a pair for the hd600 i picked up over the weekend.

What exactly am i looking for when purchasing?

I saw this amp on slickdeals, and wanted to know if it was a good price.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7465916-fiio-e12-mont-blanc-headphone-amplifier-89?v=1
Not sure about the price. I like the Fiios for entry-level but I dunno how they'll match up with your 'phones.

This site does a pretty good job showing how various amps match with different headphones. Here's their page for that Fiio amp and your Sennheisers: http://www.audiobot9000.com/match/sennheiser/hd-600/with/fiio/mont-blanc-e12

HiResDes

Amazon.com has Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250Ohm Headphones on sale for $200.94 - $34.16 (discount appears end of checkout) - $35 Rebate = $131.78. Shipping is free.

...These are a great alternative to the X1 for those that are looking, but this particular version will require some ampage...That's the only caveat.

olympia

So I think I fucked up. I got my sister Sony MDR5706 for Christmas on Wirecutter's recommendations. (I should have come here, first.) Are these good headphones or should return them and get something better? I saw the Seinnheiser set for around the same price on BF and now I'm bummed I didn't jump on that instead. What should I do Headphone-GAF?

HiResDes

So I think I fucked up. I got my sister Sony MDR5706 for Christmas on Wirecutter's recommendations. (I should have come here, first.) Are these good headphones or should return them and get something better? I saw the Seinnheiser 580 set for around the same price on BF and now I'm bummed I didn't jump on that instead. What should I do Headphone-GAF?

They're fine for the price, there are headphones that sound better for around the same price or cheaper, but very few sport the build quality of those...She'll like them as long as she likes treble.

Waikis

I think im heading down a really dark path. While i was set on the oppo, ive been in contact with Ray Samuels about purchasing the Darkstar...it's just so damn beautiful but it requires a completely separate DAC - which will also kill my budget.

Also been looking at the BMC PureDAC.

So few sites have done a comparison vs the OPPO HA-1 so it's a really difficult decision.

If anyone has impressions on the PureDAC id really like to hear it.

Do you know which headphone will you be using the most? From my experience I find the HD800 to work best with tube amp and LCD2/3 with SS. Finding an amp that fits both criteria is a bit tricky as you may have to compromise for one of them.

As for the RSA, here's what Skylab from head-fi has to say:

Similarly, I thought the Dark Star was very good with the Senn HD-800, but I think the Trafomatic Head-One and Woo WA22 sounded better with the HD-800, and they are both half the price of the Dark Star. So while I think the HD-800 sounded quite good with the Dark Star, I would not encourage someone to rush out and buy a Dark Star if the Senn was their main and or only headphone. You can have slightly better performance for less money.

--------------------------
So…where does that leave the Dark Star? For me, it’s rather simple. If you are an LCD-2 owner only, I think you can get slightly better sound for less money. So I wouldn’t buy the Dark Star solely for the LCD-2 unless you are madly in love with the looks.

Finally tried my X1.... Its pretty cool... It sounds nice but $200 makes me feel OK, I'm not really blown away. I feel left after out after the ear orgasm thread from 598s which are half the price. Not bad though.

Duxxy3

Anyone have experience with them? Only thing I'm concerned about is build quality.

The cable can be an issue. The cover for the jack comes off pretty easily. If you have larger ears they might be uncomfortable.

HiResDes

Yeah the only headphones I listed have a much better build, but the bang for buck in their sound value almost makes it worth it.

linkboy

After three years of pretty good use, my OE2's left ear is going out (where the cord connects) and I'm looking to replace them.

I'm looking at the HD 239's from Sennheiser. Anyone have a pair and what's the general impression of them.

I've been very happy with my previous Sennheisers (PX 100 and PX 100ii), which is why I'm going for Sennheiser again.

Bought the HD 239''s and I've got no complaints with them, so much better than my OE2's (which I had no complaints with).

The cable can be an issue. The cover for the jack comes off pretty easily. If you have larger ears they might be uncomfortable.

Yeah the only headphones I listed have a much better build, but the bang for buck in their sound value almost makes it worth it.

I ended up ordering them because it seems they filled my other needs a bit more than the others (portability for travel, closed for less leakage, etc). Will let you guys know how they are! Thanks for the help.

wilflare

Amazon.com has Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250Ohm Headphones on sale for $200.94 - $34.16 (discount appears end of checkout) - $35 Rebate = $131.78. Shipping is free.

...These are a great alternative to the X1 for those that are looking, but this particular version will require some ampage...That's the only caveat.

hmm it's gonna be a horizontal upgrade if i'm coming from the X1 right?

HiResDes

hmm it's gonna be a horizontal upgrade if i'm coming from the X1 right?

yeah don't get them if you have X1...Definitely not. They're like brothers. Also I forgot to suggest the JVC S680s to all the newcomers...You have to ship them from Japan and they require some burn-in to get used to, but probably THE best value for around $50.

harSon

Banned
yeah don't get them if you have X1...Definitely not. They're like brothers. Also I forgot to suggest the JVC S680s to all the newcomers...You have to ship them from Japan and they require some burn-in to get used to, but probably THE best value for around $50.

How about if you're coming from a 598 (Thanks for linking me to a deal on them btw.... like 2-3 years ago Lol)?

HiResDes

How about if you're coming from a 598 (Thanks for linking me to a deal on them btw.... like 2-3 years ago Lol)?

The midrange on the 598 is superior. The bass on the DT990 is superior. The treble comes down whether you prefer it a bit over-extended (DT 990) or really smoothed out (598). The DT990 are surely more "exciting" but it'd certainly be more of a sidegrade than a real upgrade.

I'll ask the pros:

What are some good closed-ear headphones for clarity and good bass preferably under 400? I also don't want to use an amp. Thanks!

wilflare

the earcups look so comfy! :O

hmm
so how would you rate the 598 X1 and DT990

I got the X1 sometime back, got the 598 due to the Amazon deal... (not sure whether to keep it or not)

HiResDes

What would you recommend as a clear upgrade?

Fidelio X2 supposedly has smoothed out the treble even more than on the X1, and tightened the balancon it's bass so much that midrange shines slightly more. Therefore though it wouldn't be a huge upgrade, I'd recommend the X2 as a clearer upgrade than the X1 or DT990.

The HE-400 would also be a clear upgrade in many facets, better bass, fairly engaging mids, mostly smooth mids.

The HD600 would be an upgrade in nearly ever facet, though electronic music sounds slightly too slow in their decay.

It kind of depends on what you out of your headphones at this point, and things are only going to get more complex if you keep trying to upgrade. I'm still searching for the upgrade answers at this particular point in my headphone career. I've nearly exhausted all of the easy options without spending too much money, but I'm fucked.

Colin.

Since comfort for long term use is one of my concerns (and wanting to avoid my ears getting very hot) I'm now pondering whether an open or semi-open design would be the better choices. In terms of leaking sound, as long as what I'm listening to can't be heard from 5+ feet away, I'm not too fussed. Isolation is probably the bigger concern of the two, as I don't want anything I'm listening to being disturbed by background noise. What would be the best way to go?

HiResDes

Since comfort for long term use is one of my concerns (and wanting to avoid my ears getting very hot) I'm now pondering whether open or semi-open design would be the better way to go. In terms of leaking sound, as long as what I'm listening to can't be heard from 5+ feet away, I'm not too fussed. Isolation is probably the bigger concern of the two, as I don't want anything I'm listening to being disturbed by background noise. What would be the best way to go?

Well you don't wanna go open, unless you plan to listen to things fairly loud all the time. Semi-open or maybe one of the more comfortable on-ears might be the way to go. Five feet is also very close, you can hear music from some closed headphones at that distance lol.

Colin.

Well you don't wanna go open, unless you plan to listen to things fairly loud all the time. Semi-open or maybe one of the more comfortable on-ears might be the way to go. Five feet is also very close, you can hear music from some closed headphones at that distance lol.

I thought that may have been the case with open, which is why semi-open came to mind. From what I gather, they are more or less open headphones, but with better isolation? I've also noticed with these, fabric pads are more common. From a comfort standpoint, I reckon they would be fine, as long as the clean up is easy. Can see those attracting dust pretty easily. But as far as sound leakage goes, as long as it can only be heard inside my room, I'll be alright. Plus, my average listening volume isn't that loud.

Do you know which headphone will you be using the most? From my experience I find the HD800 to work best with tube amp and LCD2/3 with SS. Finding an amp that fits both criteria is a bit tricky as you may have to compromise for one of them.

As for the RSA, here's what Skylab from head-fi has to say:
I'll be using the audeze LCD-3 as my main.

The dark star is beautiful but it is 25 pounds in shipping weight plus it needs a whole other DAC to run and associated cables.

To me looks like it is a toss up between the BMC and the OPPO..no one has pointed out a clear leader yet.

HiResDes

I'll be using the audeze LCD-3 as my main.

The dark star is beautiful but it is 25 pounds in shipping weight plus it needs a whole other DAC to run and associated cables.

To me looks like it is a toss up between the BMC and the OPPO..no one has pointed out a clear leader yet.

Have much better are those than something really small and compact like the Burson Audio Conductor?

Tommy DJ

Judging by Silverstone's history as a PC case manufacturer, it should be built perfectly fine. Their only problem has been design but there doesn't seem to be anything design-wise to go wrong. A headphone stand in many cases is often just a beefed up banana holder.

Thinking about getting this Silverstone stand for my HD700's.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-EBA01-Aluminum-Headphone/dp/B00KONCCNG

izVI2FB.jpg

Yay or Nay?

I want an Omega Stand. But I can only afford a cheap version on Amazon, which might end up with quality assurance problems.

http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Omega-Headphones-Hanger-Holder/dp/B00F2L1NOO/

Real deal Sieveking Omegas are really nice. Dunno that I'd expect quality at 1/3 the asking price of a genuine one, especially given the mixed reviews on Amazon

mr stroke

Thinking about getting this Silverstone stand for my HD700's.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-EBA01-Aluminum-Headphone/dp/B00KONCCNG

izVI2FB.jpg

Yay or Nay?

I want an Omega Stand. But I can only afford a cheap version on Amazon, which might end up with quality assurance problems.

http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Omega-Headphones-Hanger-Holder/dp/B00F2L1NOO/

Was gonna buy those to hang my cans but didn't want to drop $50

Bought this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9GYUE2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Couldnt be happier, simple black hangers but they work perfect and look great on a wall or in a cabinet

Vice

Does anyone have any experience with the Fiio E7 model? Bought one and it works great, when plugged into my PC, but the battery can't hold a charge at all. Anyone know how to fix this?

Top Bottom