• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

NotBacon

I have used the HE-400's with both my Macbook Pro and gaming PC(with a Creative Soundcard) and a cheap Fiio Amp and the difference with the Amp is night and day.

Welp, guess I'm getting the E11k.

And the major complaint about the HE-400 seems to be the cable, so I looked up replacements, gawdam cables are expensive.

Armaly

So i'd like to get my console game audio and my pc audio on my headset at the same time. This was my original plan. I found out that the rca cables led to a massive amount of white noise and my on-board audio reads the tv line as a recording device so it's either I have the tv audio and no working mic or a working mic and no audio. I consulted a friend and he recommended that I get myself a toslink cable for better sound quality and channel both the tv and pc audio to a fiio e17. Seems like a good plan but i'd like a second opinion. Is this the best solution for me? Thanks.

Thanks Mr Postman

10345989_10152873228689512_6750118982145618658_n.jpg

I should photo the case it comes in and the books - it really looks so high end in the velvet lined case.

Everything else should be arriving by the 18th Dec.

i cant even listen to them :( my current DAC/AMP blew its power supply..and my Colorfly cant run the 800s very well... i need to wait till the 18th just to hear them!

i cant even listen to them :( my current DAC/AMP blew its power supply..and my Colorfly cant run the 800s very well... i need to wait till the 18th just to hear them!

Well, I obviously need to test them out for you to make sure they work, since you can't do that on your own. Just send them my way and I'll let you know how they are ;p

Well, I obviously need to test them out for you to make sure they work, since you can't do that on your own. Just send them my way and I'll let you know how they are ;p

lol the box is so damn heavy dude. the case it comes in looks really high end. I wasnt expecting it to be so damn heavy when it shipped.

Can the experts at GAF recommend me a decent mid-tier combo of headphone and DAC that will go well together? This will only be used at home with my desktop PC. Budget is around $700 total.

I'm currently using the Audio Technica ATH-M50 connected to an Asus Essence STX sound card. Would I be able to get a noticeable upgrade with my allocated budget? There is a pretty annoying hiss/static noise with this setup which is one of the reasons I want to upgrade.

I think the most important thing for me is comfort. I have a pretty big head and big ears that stick out so the M50s would get pretty sweaty/uncomfortable after an hour or so of usage.

I listen to pretty much any genre - hip hop, rock, pop, gaming - but I like bass and mids more than treble.

Trying again on a new page, would really appreciate any suggestions :)

It's not pretty, not much room and some bootleg makeshift headphone holders.

HD650s on sale again - http://mobile.adorama.com/SEHD650.h...iliate.62905&utm_referrer=direct/not provided

Thanks for the suggestion!

I was actually looking at the HD650s and the O2 + ODAC combo from JDS Labs before I saw your suggestion. How do you think this would compare to the Mad Dogs + Geek Out? I'll admit I've never heard of them until you recommended them in your post.

HiResDes

Thanks for the suggestion!

I was actually looking at the HD650s and the O2 + ODAC combo from JDS Labs before I saw your suggestion. How do you think this would compare to the Mad Dogs + Geek Out? I'll admit I've never heard of them until you recommended them in your post.
Well I actually think the Mad Dogs have a greater balance and wider frequency range than the HD650s, but they obviously can't compete with the overall sense of space and soundstage of the Sennheiser, which are also unequivocally smooth sounding. The Geek Out 1000 compares quite well to the JDS setup, but actually boasts a bit more power enabling them to drive the more power hungry headphones.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I reviewed the Mad Dogs in here somewhere. If you wear glasses, know that it is pretty simple to adjust the clamp pressure.

mr stroke

Plug those beasts in(you have a Mac or PC w/soundcard to run them off of?), curious what they sound like with out a dedicated amp :)

Plug those beasts in(you have a Mac or PC w/soundcard to run them off of?), curious what they sound like with out a dedicated amp :)
Do sound cards have the proper input? It is the large single ended cable.. Not the standard 3.5mm one..

Sounds ok with my colorfly but it needs to be driven. Amp will arrive along with the audeze lcd 3 by next week, all with balanced cables. Will write a full review then and after 2 week burn in with all cables.

Well I actually think the Mad Dogs have a greater balance and wider frequency range than the HD650s, but they obviously can't compete with the overall sense of space and soundstage of the Sennheiser, which are also unequivocally smooth sounding. The Geek Out 1000 compares quite well to the JDS setup, but actually boasts a bit more power enabling them to drive the more power hungry headphones.

Thank you. I went ahead and ordered the HD650s from your link since they were on sale at a pretty good price so I couldn't pass them up. Now to decide on an amp/dac... somehow I went from looking at the JDS/Geek Out to the Schiit combo and now looking at Woo Audio Fireflies... help!

Yea I'm looking for a DAC + amp setup. I've now stumbled onto this: http://www.headfonia.com/resonessence-concero-hp-canadian-dacamp/

This is my first time getting into headphone audio so I've never heard anything except what I have (ATH M50 + Asus Essence STX sound card)... how in the world do you guys decide on something to try when there are so many options? lol
You do research and enjoy every min of it! I'm going with the oppo ha-1 for me. Great reviews, lots of power and it is a gorgeous balanced unit.

This will be with the hd800s and audeze lcd3.

I want the ray samuels darkstar but it is too expensive plus you need the separate dac..

HiResDes

Thank you. I went ahead and ordered the HD650s from your link since they were on sale at a pretty good price so I couldn't pass them up. Now to decide on an amp/dac... somehow I went from looking at the JDS/Geek Out to the Schiit combo and now looking at Woo Audio Fireflies... help!
Tube amp definitely goes better with the Sennheiser, but the geek out will do a great job and also be the more versatile pick should you decide to buy other headphones. And yeah the woo doesn't have a built-in DAC right?

FoxSpirit

Hmm, ODAC+O2 and a Sennheiser HD650. HD 600 is more neutral but for hopping the 650 it is.
It wont sound as clear as the M50 but more detailed, unfatiguing with great bass. Absolutely fantastic mids.
Plus the ODAC combo can drive high end cans competently down the road.

Yea I'm looking for a DAC + amp setup. I've now stumbled onto this: http://www.headfonia.com/resonessence-concero-hp-canadian-dacamp/

This is my first time getting into headphone audio so I've never heard anything except what I have (ATH M50 + Asus Essence STX sound card)... how in the world do you guys decide on something to try when there are so many options? lol

Skip the Concero and just get a Geek Out. I know a guy who had a Concero and sold if after picking up a DX90. (I also owned the DX90 with the latest Lurker FW, sounded pretty good) All these things use ES9018 SABRE DACs which have a particular signature/flavor. I've heard the SABRE in several configs up to the $1000 mark and it more or less sounds the same as the GO to me. You'd save a lot of money this way due to diminishing returns

ryan-ts

Centrance Dacmini CX (Dac & Amp) is $400 on Massdrop, goes for $550 on Amazon. I haven't heard it myself but people thought it was a good deal even when it was going for $700.

FoxSpirit

What's the general opinion for the best bang for the buck for noise cancelation headphones?

....Bose?
Well, it's not the best bang/buck but for a change, when it comes to noise cancelling, many people agree Bose does it best. Even those who generally dislike Bose.
In return, a lot of people will suggest to go for best manual isolation since noise cancelling is never artefact free.

You do research and enjoy every min of it! I'm going with the oppo ha-1 for me. Great reviews, lots of power and it is a gorgeous balanced unit.

This will be with the hd800s and audeze lcd3.

I want the ray samuels darkstar but it is too expensive plus you need the separate dac..

Wow that is some serious equipment you've got. I don't think I'm prepared to spend quite that much my first round but do let us know how it sounds once you get everything!

Tube amp definitely goes better with the Sennheiser, but the geek out will do a great job and also be the more versatile pick should you decide to buy other headphones. And yeah the woo doesn't have a built-in DAC right?

I believe the Fireflies are an amp/dac combo.

Hmm, ODAC+O2 and a Sennheiser HD650. HD 600 is more neutral but for hopping the 650 it is.
It wont sound as clear as the M50 but more detailed, unfatiguing with great bass. Absolutely fantastic mids.
Plus the ODAC combo can drive high end cans competently down the road.

Skip the Concero and just get a Geek Out. I know a guy who had a Concero and sold if after picking up a DX90. (I also owned the DX90 with the latest Lurker FW, sounded pretty good) All these things use ES9018 SABRE DACs which have a particular signature/flavor. I've heard the SABRE in several configs up to the $1000 mark and it more or less sounds the same as the GO to me. You'd save a lot of money this way due to diminishing returns

Thanks for talking some sense into me lol. I'll likely go for something more reasonable this time around then upgrade later if I feel the need to.

So is the Geek Out and the ODAC pretty similar? Is there any comparison somewhere?

Changstar peeps seem to like the Geek Out 450 + Leckerton for the amp.

I am getting dangerously close to buying an Astell & Kern AK100 II DAP as an early Christmas gift to myself. I had a FiiO X5 for a hot minute, but sold it as I just didn't like the UI. The AK looks amazing, and I have read nothing but good things about them, plus I really like that I can stream my lossless files directly from my NAS.

Fox1304

Aaaaand I did it again ...
AKG K551 for 60€ ...
"Thank you" Amazon. Coming from a K845BT will I see a sizeable difference ? Anybody tried both ?

Edit : I know have so many headphones to sell that I'm thinking about opening a shop :d

Duxxy3

Has anyone used the Sony MDR-V55's? They're only £35 on Amazon. I just want a comfortable, semi-decent pair to use for gaming but don't know where to start really.

If it's specifically for gaming I would probably go JVC HA-RX700. A little cheaper than the Sony's. I have no experience with those Sony's though and the reviews seem good. Most common complaint is with comfort.

So is the Geek Out and the ODAC pretty similar? Is there any comparison somewhere?

I've got a friend over at HF whose main rig used to be the ODAC/O2. Totally obsessed with file formats and uses Stax as a main can. The type of person who puts DSD files through a spectrograph to make sure they AREN'T just FLAC reencoded (this has happened before, another reason I don't buy into hires files). He says the Geek Out is basically on a par with the O2/ODAC, but warmer in tonality.

Anaxilus over at Changstar is also a fan of the GO. People might know him as the guy behind the infamous HD800 Anax mods. His opinion is that the O2/ODAC is pointless now that the GO exists. Larry Ho at Light Harmonic actually has a set of HD800 and LCD-3s to use to tune the GOs. It'll drive both in a pinch. Extremely impressive for something that's about the size of a box of matches

HiResDes

Guess I'll get Bose, it's for travel unless you guys can name some 200 dollar cans with good isolation?

Brainwavz HM5/NVX XPT100 isolate pretty damn well. Beyerdynamic DT-150 also isolate very well, but they're a bit out of your range and are even bigger than the Hm5.

Tommy DJ

Guess I'll get Bose, it's for travel unless you guys can name some 200 dollar cans with good isolation?

If its jet travel, don't even bother with manual isolation. Bose Quietcomforts are the best jet travel headphones/IEMs on the market for the triple reason that, except for a tiny whine that all noise cancelling headphones make, they have a comfortable sound signature, are extremely comfortable to wear, and the active noise cancelling is better than any of the competitions.

Get the centrance in the link posted above. It is a superb unit at that price. I bought mine for a lot more when they came put as it won many awards including stereophile's best pick.

I believe the Fireflies are an amp/dac combo.

You are right, my mistake. It IS a DAC/AMP but it isnt a balanced unit. If you are thinking of getting something "Futureproof" - then i would get something with the balanced input. (OPPO HA1, BMC PureDAC) - but these are pricier.

Also with the woo wa7 - everyone upgrades the tubes which is another $200-$300 i believe..

If you want to keep to your original budget and are not worried about balanced cables, really cant recommend the centrance DACMINI enough.

blog_DACmini.jpg

I have had mine for 3 years and it really can handle anything. I use Jriver Audio with it and i had my Audiotechnica ATH-900 and the sound was really good.

Duxxy3

Thanks, didn't see these come up when searching earlier. I ended up going for the Sennheiser HD201's based on comfort but these look like a better set overall. I had to return a pair of Jabra Revo's a few months ago cause I found them so uncomfortable. Reckon I should ditch the Sennheiser's and go for the JVC's instead?

Have had both. The 201's were a bit small and clampy for me. The JVC's were over ear and more comfy.

You are right, my mistake. It IS a DAC/AMP but it isnt a balanced unit. If you are thinking of getting something "Futureproof" - then i would get something with the balanced input. (OPPO HA1, BMC PureDAC) - but these are pricier.

Also with the woo wa7 - everyone upgrades the tubes which is another $200-$300 i believe..

If you want to keep to your original budget and are not worried about balanced cables, really cant recommend the centrance DACMINI enough.

blog_DACmini.jpg

I have had mine for 3 years and it really can handle anything. I use Jriver Audio with it and i had my Audiotechnica ATH-900 and the sound was really good.

Thanks for all your help! I just read up a bit on balance headphones/amps and I think I will just go with that CEntrance unit before I fall any deeper into this headphone blackhole lol. Prices seem to increase exponentially as you add more and more features, and I'm not sure if I'd even be able to tell something that's balance from unbalanced.

The DACmini seems like it's a steal at the price.

Thanks for all your help! I just read up a bit on balance headphones/amps and I think I will just go with that CEntrance unit before I fall any deeper into this headphone blackhole lol. Prices seem to increase exponentially as you add more and more features, and I'm not sure if I'd even be able to tell something that's balance from unbalanced.

The DACmini seems like it's a steal at the price.

It is very good. Have been using mine for ages. Just make sure you get some nice software like JRIVER Audio so you can run hi res files properly.

CEntrance is proper plug and play - i remember paying closer to $900 for it im sure...at $400 that is REALLY good.

Top Bottom