• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Duxxy3

Looking for some decent earbuds and found the MDRXB50AP sony headphones. I can get them for $15 or should I go for the panasonics in the same range that are really popular? Trying to stay under $50 but looking for something better than the earpods I got with my iPhone.

http://steelseries.com/us/products/deals/steelseries-flux-in-ear-gaming-headset

Free shipping when you spend $30, so feel free to buy 3 of them. Could probably even split it with others here.

Even 1 at $20 is an amazing deal. Steelseries must be clearing out stock for the new in ear.

edit: does not seem like there's much information on that sony

Bloodember

I've decided on the AKG Q701 for my headphones, now I need a DAC for my computer, looking at the Aune X1 Pro, any thoughts on this or another one that would be better? I'll be using my Shure srh550 and the q701 with it mostly, I also would like it too be future proofed, if possible.

Crisco

Banned
I've decided on the AKG Q701 for my headphones, now I need a DAC for my computer, looking at the Aune X1 Pro, any thoughts on this or another one that would be better? I'll be using my Shure srh550 and the q701 with it mostly, I also would like it too be future proofed, if possible.

Good choice! I bought an Audioengine D1 along with my Q701s and absolutely loved it. I wanted something with SPDIF in (so I could use my X-Fi for CMSS-3D) and preouts to eventually upgrade to a more powerful amp. The actual DAC component in the D1 is really good, as transparent and noise free as any DAC in it's price range. However, if you have no need for SPDIF or preouts, I'd get this http://schiit.com/products/fulla. For $80 you'll get the same exact DAC (AKM4396) and a more powerful amp.

HiResDes

Funny that, the website and marketing reminds me of Devialet and Analogue, both slickly marketed higher end consumer products which seem to evoke a lot of passionate opinions both ways.
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on anyone hating on JDS. I had one of early CMOY portable amps and that thing was a little beast. Everyone that's heard both the Modi and ODAC state that the two are extremely similar. And I think the Modi is just about the best value DAC you can find on earth right now.
Late replies here sorry!

Mainly hip hop but some of everything except country.

These seem decent too.

Any other suggestions for work over ear headphones for $250 or less?
If you mainly listen to hip hop stay far away from the 598s, I'm pretty I gave you some recommendations before that I'm sticking by

HiResDes

Looking for some decent earbuds and found the MDRXB50AP sony headphones. I can get them for $15 or should I go for the panasonics in the same range that are really popular? Trying to stay under $50 but looking for something better than the earpods I got with my iPhone.
Brainwavz Delta and Xaomi Piston 2.0 are what I'd strongly suggest.

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on anyone hating on JDS. I had one of early CMOY portable amps and that thing was a little beast. Everyone that's heard both the Modi and ODAC state that the two are extremely similar. And I think the Modi is just about the best value DAC you can find on earth right now.
I have no experience with JDS so I'm happy to go by your experience. I think there's a lot of dogmatic opinions held by the JDS creator and folks who follow his banner that tend to ruffle feathers and rub some people the wrong way. That said, one thing I like about both the Leck and the E17 is the variety of input options that the JDS units lack. (By the way, I love those cMoyBB-- if I had an excuse, I'd pick one up in a flash.)

Waikis

Umm they're all pretty neutral aside from the Sony, P7, and AKG K545, whatcha talking about Willis.

The genelec is a highly regarded speaker, and I felt that the suggestions will not impress Chitta much coming from a genelec setup.

The neutrality comment was only for the th900, not sure about the other earphones mentioned.

HiResDes

I don't know I just feel like people automatically assume that spending three times the amount on headphones nets you even double the performance when it really doesn't seem like it does at all.

Bloodember

Good choice! I bought an Audioengine D1 along with my Q701s and absolutely loved it. I wanted something with SPDIF in (so I could use my X-Fi for CMSS-3D) and preouts to eventually upgrade to a more powerful amp. The actual DAC component in the D1 is really good, as transparent and noise free as any DAC in it's price range. However, if you have no need for SPDIF or preouts, I'd get this http://schiit.com/products/fulla. For $80 you'll get the same exact DAC (AKM4396) and a more powerful amp.

Actually I do like the pre amps, so I want those, the Audioengine d1 looks nice, and its a good price. Anyone have any experience with the Aune X1 Pro?

I don't know I just feel like people automatically assume that spending three times the amount on headphones nets you even double the performance when it really doesn't seem like it does at all.

It's always diminishing returns with audio. Especially once you hit 100$, the return diminishes

While I agree that this is true 95% of the time there are exceptions, ie: Westone 4, I found the difference between them and a pair of 100-200$ IEMs substantial

IEms might be a bit different. The fit is so incredibly important. I found the tripleFis incredibly shitty in comparison to other headphone's I've purchased, but am not sure if it's just the sound or the fit that is the cause of that. . I would have been pissed off had I bought then for anything more than the amazon black Friday price (90$?) many years ago. The RE0s were another dud when compared to the headfi rating 'shootout'.

Those Etymotic er4s have still not been beaten, despite the multiple 100$+ purchases made over the past couple of years. The only thing that has come close was the Miles Davis Trumpets I purchased. One good thing about Monster I'll say is that their lifetime warrenty replacements is solid. I've had three thus far without any complaints

Perhaps I should check out the westone's if these malfunction, though the thought nowadays is to never use the etys in a workout....which seems to be the downfall of all previous purchases.....

I need to get some new tips for my IEMs as they really dont fit well. I know someone on here posted links before to replacement sony ear bud covers...

Can someone post a link on Amazon to a bunch of different replacement tips that i can use for my IEM's? (Final Audio Design Heaven C)

Tommy DJ

It's always diminishing returns with audio. Especially once you hit 100$, the return diminishes

I don't think this is particularly true. The main issue is that a lot of products are just not very good so it looks like that.

In my opinion, many of the good $300 headphones are noticeably better and really worth the increased asking price over their lesser priced competitors provided you actually care about sound quality.

What is this based on?

Fair enough it is diminishing returns with everything..you pay a LOT more for that 5% increase in clarity. But $100 is a pretty damn low ceiling.

Id say for headphones more in the park of $700 - $1000 you would start to see it. My LCD3's are not twice as good as my HD800s for example or the Oppo PM-1's.

Tommy DJ

The problem has to do with the nature of "high end" audio. To me, the diminishing returns problem is generally a problem caused by boutique products and brands. They're generally woefully overpriced (RSA, Linn, Naim, Arcam, anything that isn't low end Rega), legitimately worse than lower end products in their product lineup (Beyerdynamic T1, Sennheiser HD700), or plain snake oil (silver cables, special $200 USB cables). Proper halo products like the HD800 are always expensive (because they're the best) so they don't really count when talking about value propositions.

Like a HD600 is around $320 AUD and I reckon the price increase over the HD500 series justifies the notable improvement in clarity, balance, and decreased distortion. Which is not surprising because the HD600 is a legitimately decent headphone (that some find boring but whatever). Same goes for middle of the range subwoofers vs something from SVS. Properly designed products that don't exist on the premise of extracting money from people will generally have solid value propositions no matter their price.

MoonGred

What is this based on?

Fair enough it is diminishing returns with everything..you pay a LOT more for that 5% increase in clarity. But $100 is a pretty damn low ceiling.

Id say for headphones more in the park of $700 - $1000 you would start to see it. My LCD3's are not twice as good as my HD800s for example or the Oppo PM-1's.

That number is way too high for the average user, I'd say it's more around the 300$ mark. Not saying that upgrades are incremental at that point, just not sure if they'd be worth it for anyone but audiophiles.

Edit: Does anyone know how this scales with custom IEMs?

That number is way too high for the average user, I'd say it's more around the 300$ mark. Not saying that upgrades are incremental at that point, just not sure if they'd be worth it for anyone but audiophiles.

yeah that's a fair enough point. I have some nice IEMs - but they are so uncomfortable. Im looking to replace the rubber tips so i can actually use them properly.

MoonGred

yeah that's a fair enough point. I have some nice IEMs - but they are so uncomfortable. Im looking to replace the rubber tips so i can actually use them properly.

Get some foam tips, in my opinion they're the only way to go, perfect seal and comfort. I've tried going back to rubber tips but it just doesn't sound good.
The only downside to foam that I can think of is that they have the potential to get dirty (nothing that some soapy water can't fix though)

Get some foam tips, in my opinion they're the only way to go, perfect seal and comfort. I've tried going back to rubber tips but it just doesn't sound good.
The only downside to foam that I can think of is that they have the potential to get dirty (nothing that some soapy water can't fix though)

can you link me to something so i know what i am looking for? preferably amazon or something. I find the current tips i have tend to fall out or are extremely uncomfortable.

terrible

Banned
I wish I knew exactly what would work for you but with some googling it seems pretty hard to find anyone who's tried comply tips with those. Sorry! I wouldn't want to just blindly order them either, I didn't realize it'd be that hard to find out if your setup would work with them.

MoonGred

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=Comply+tips&rh=n:172282,k:Comply+tips

There's quite a few here..problem is id be ordering them without trying them on so i just want to get a set that will fit on the FAD Heaven C's and be comfortable when i wear them..

The comply ones are great. Use the Tip finder to find out exactly which ones to order for your IEMs. I usually go for the isolating ones but that's just a personal choice

Edit: as to the size unfortunately you'll have to order a mix of sizes first to find out which fit you best, I really can't stress this enough but getting a good seal is really important.

The comply ones are great. Use the Tip finder to find out exactly which ones to order for your IEMs. I usually go for the isolating ones but that's just a personal choice

Edit: as to the size unfortunately you'll have to order a mix of sizes first to find out which fit you best, I really can't stress this enough but getting a good seal is really important.

OK the one i need is the Comply 200 series....bu i dont know if my inner ears are small, medium or large!

I own the UERM and ES5 and have owned quite a few TOTL sets of universal IEMs and I don't think customs necessarily have the edge on universal sets. With that said, it really does depend on what qualities you're looking for. In the TOTL space, every single set of phones will likely do one or more things exceptionally well so that it'll largely boil down to personal taste.

With that said, $100-200 now buys you a hell of a lot more IEM than it did back when the W4 debuted, and you can honestly feel diminishing returns kick in far, far faster because of that.

Orgen

Hi people!

My IPhone 5 earbuds are about to die and I need a new set. The IEM's don't sit well in my ears so I prefer earbuds (but I'm open to any recommendation). What's my best option? (I need music control and microphone in them too just like the IPhone earbuds).

And another request: I want wireless headphones for my Samsung TV (just to see movies and play games). I was looking at the Sennheiser RS160 and testing it with my IPhone the sound was good and they fit very well over my ears (I have small ears). Is this a good option for what I want or is there any other better option in the 100-150€ range?

Many thanks in advance! (and Happy New Year to everyone :D)

HiResDes

Hi people!

My IPhone 5 earbuds are about to die and I need a new set. The IEM's don't sit well in my ears so I prefer earbuds (but I'm open to any recommendation). What's my best option? (I need music control and microphone in them too just like the IPhone earbuds).

And another request: I want wireless headphones for my Samsung TV (just to see movies and play games). I was looking at the Sennheiser RS160 and testing it with my IPhone the sound was good and they fit very well over my ears (I have small ears). Is this a good option for what I want or is there any other better option in the 100-150€ range?

Many thanks in advance! (and Happy New Year to everyone :D)
Just get some more Earpods honestly. Those requirements are too specialized.

HiResDes

:( Is there another option? (not being earbuds, earpods or IEM's). Maybe wired headphones? I despise earpods but if it's the better option I'll buy another set.

Thanks!
There are definitely headphone and in earphone options, but if you don't like the fit of earphones why even consider them. I can't think of all of the headphones with both a mic and remote right now. The RHA 950i is the only one that instantly Springs to mind. The V-MODA XS also has an option to add on a mic and remote I believe. I don't know anything about wireless.

Addnan

AKG K551, K545, K845 (wireless) all have apple controls and mic. They are big over ear headphones though, so not to everyone's taste. The first two should be within budget, not sure about the third.

Got my Magni/Modi ubers all hooked up after a bit of a scare with FedEx.

Very nice indeed.

It's exactly the setup I needed. One set of speakers, preamp out to receiver, Mac and PC both connected and easily switchable, a single volume knob that'll work for both the speakers and headphone out.

They sound great with plenty of power for my, admittedly, not at all power hungry X1 and Grado 225.

The input switch button is pretty jank on the Modi, but that's about my only complaint. I might open it up and see if there is something I can do about that.

Very pleased overall though.

BHKKlPx.jpg

Duxxy3

OK the one i need is the Comply 200 series....bu i dont know if my inner ears are small, medium or large!

The vast majority of people can comfortably fit a medium in their ears. That's why when they package comply's with a set of headphones they include a medium pair.

S is the most comfortable and is best for more active people, but it doesn't isolate as well and the sound quality isn't as good as the others.

T is your more standard comply. Good comfort and sound quality. More expensive than S.

TS offers the most isolation and likely the best sound quality, but they can be the least comfortable. They really fill your ear canal. They are even more expensive than the S.

My recommendation is always to get a T medium of whatever is compatible with your headphones. On top of that I highly suggest a pair of sony hybrids at some point. They fit damn near everything and they are much better than your standard tips.

HiResDes

AKG K551, K545, K845 (wireless) all have apple controls and mic. They are big over ear headphones though, so not to everyone's taste. The first two should be within budget, not sure about the third.
Oh yeah good suggestions. I also remembered that the Sony MDR1R comes in wireless with a mic as well.

The vast majority of people can comfortably fit a medium in their ears. That's why when they package comply's with a set of headphones they include a medium pair.

S is the most comfortable and is best for more active people, but it doesn't isolate as well and the sound quality isn't as good as the others.

T is your more standard comply. Good comfort and sound quality. More expensive than S.

TS offers the most isolation and likely the best sound quality, but they can be the least comfortable. They really fill your ear canal. They are even more expensive than the S.

My recommendation is always to get a T medium of whatever is compatible with your headphones. On top of that I highly suggest a pair of sony hybrids at some point. They fit damn near everything and they are much better than your standard tips.
Cheers mate. I got 2 of the variety packs in medium and large so it should cover me.

I actually got a pair of the TS (spherical) comply with my Donguri. I'd never seen this type of comply before but it definitely seems to sound better than the standard since it doesn't have a tendency to mute the highs. I think it's cause the spherical shape keeps the tube from collapsing when it's in your ear canal. I can also attest to it being less comfortable. Spinfits are still the best tips to me, but they are really hard to get ahold of.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E89ASQK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

300 dollars is close to the sweet spot for full sized headphones and 200 seems to be the sweet spot for IEMs at the moment in terms of diminishing returns.

Thanks for all the help Des.

I'll have to see what best buy has, I know they have a lesser selection than Amazon, but I have these damn best buy cards.

Found the akg's on best buy. Maybe I'll go with then.

Edit: How are the Sennheiser urbanites?

I can't believe how hot this Lyr 2 gets. Holy shit. I could damn near cook bacon on this thing. My NuForce Icon barely got above what I would consider warm. You can't even hold the Lyr 2 for more than a few seconds before feeling like you're going to burn your hand.

HiResDes

Thanks for all the help Des.

I'll have to see what best buy has, I know they have a lesser selection than Amazon, but I have these damn best buy cards.

Found the akg's on best buy. Maybe I'll go with then.

Edit: How are the Sennheiser urbanites?
Idk, but all reports suggest their Sennheisers answer to Beats Pro, so take that how you want.

Is it a class A amp?
from website:

"single-ended Class-A operation for high-impedance headphones, moving seamlessly to push-pull Class A and finally into Class AB as current needs increase."

"Dynamically Adaptive Class A/AB, noninverting, hybrid tube/MOSFET, single voltage gain stage, DC-coupled input and output"

Class A to AB.

The casings in all Schiit amps get hot because the metal casing actually acts as a heatsink. A good way to cut down costs when you come to think about it.

Yea I gathered that the design was using the case as heatsink but goddamn! Glad I don't need to save any space.

Top Bottom