• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Tekniqs

hey guys, so i'm pretty set on getting the hd600. Was planning on going with the e17 but hires says it'll be underpowered. I won't be using the hd600 as a portable headphone as I have custom IEMs for that purpose BUT I would like to be able to take my hd600 with me when I'm away from the house for extended periods. What's a good amp that could serve this purpose where it'll drive the hd600 but small enough for me to throw into a bag and take with me.

SiDCrAzY

Can't wait to try them out :)

H8aptrGl.png

HiResDes

hey guys, so i'm pretty set on getting the hd600. Was planning on going with the e17 but hires says it'll be underpowered. I won't be using the hd600 as a portable headphone as I have custom IEMs for that purpose BUT I would like to be able to take my hd600 with me when I'm away from the house for extended periods. What's a good amp that could serve this purpose where it'll drive the hd600 but small enough for me to throw into a bag and take with me.
Just try it out, but the Geek Out 450 is quite portable

Schiit says it does on their website and there is a guide for connecting an iPhone or iPad.
You'll need to connect it through a powered USB hub. I'm talking about being able to plug directly into the iDevice and go. As far as I know, the Fulla can't do that.

Are the geek outs said to be analytical?
I don't know about analytical but I've got the GO 450 and it sounds fantastic.

Tabasco

I might possibly pull the trigger on an X2, but $300 is definitely quite expensive and I'm not sure if I would be completely satisfied with the purchase.

I've always felt like I want better sound, and I've been using an HD 555 for over 5 years.

If someone can help me make an informed decision, then that would be great.

I feel like I'm repeating myself here and I apologize for that. I feel like I'm nearly clueless about audiophile headphones.

Tommy DJ

The only way to find out is to abuse (?) Amazon's return policy or a place to audition them.

I've never believed in buying audio hardware based on impressions. It just doesn't work.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I might possibly pull the trigger on an X2, but $300 is definitely quite expensive and I'm not sure if I would be completely satisfied with the purchase.

I've always felt like I want better sound, and I've been using an HD 555 for over 5 years.

If someone can help me make an informed decision, then that would be great.

I feel like I'm repeating myself here and I apologize for that. I feel like I'm nearly clueless about audiophile headphones.

Sometimes you have to just step blindly into the void which is a new pair of headphones.

Read about it -> decide whether you like what people are saying -> buy it

The only way to find out is to abuse (?) Amazon's return policy or a place to audition them.

I've never believed in buying audio hardware based on impressions. It just doesn't work.
If you can, definitely try to trial run them. That said, I've heard nothing but great things about the X2.

If you can, definitely try to trial run them. That said, I've heard nothing but great things about the X2.

Amazon really is great about letting you return things. I don't abuse it, but there have been I think 2 pieces of audio equipment that I wasn't happy with in the past few years and they refunded them no questions asked.

XBP

Got the HM5, sound quality is top notch so far but god damn that clamping force. My head starts hurting after wearing these for an hour. Any way to somehow fix this? The ear cups themselves are extremely comfortable, its just thnat this thing has insane clamping force.

Tommy DJ

Got the HM5, sound quality is top notch so far but god damn that clamping force. My head starts hurting after wearing these for an hour. Any way to somehow fix this? The ear cups themselves are extremely comfortable its just this thing has insane clamping force.

Pull them over a pile of books overnight. Don't overstretch or you'll have insufficient clamping force.

XBP

Pull them over a pile of books overnight. Don't overstretch or you'll have insufficient clamping force.

I've got destiny's limited edition box sitting on my desk right now, I guess I can use that for this. The box is 3.5 inches wide, should be enough right?

HiResDes

Got the HM5, sound quality is top notch so far but god damn that clamping force. My head starts hurting after wearing these for an hour. Any way to somehow fix this? The ear cups themselves are extremely comfortable, its just thnat this thing has insane clamping force.
You could also return them and get the NVX XPT100's instead, same headphone, less clamping force.

Fox1304

Ha, now I understand how Logitech gave me a UE 6000 for free with my iPad case ! They were supposed to give a 4000 not a 6000 \o/

Tommy DJ

I've got destiny's limited edition box sitting on my desk right now, I guess I can use that for this. The box is 3.5 inches wide, should be enough right?

Just a bit less than the size of your head. All you want to do is to ease the clamping force of the headphone rather than stretch it completely.

Think of it as breaking in a pair of tight leather boots. You have to do it gently and slowly.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I got my Sennheiser HD598s yesterday, holy shit these things sound amazing. Thanks for the recommendation!

One last question, any ideas on how to deal with this:
B64Be1AIUAAr5cC.jpg:large

Preferably a cheap solution

Welp, I got my Sennheiser 598s returned and based off someone else's recommendation, picked up a SoundMagic HP200. It sounds amazing. I'm convinced I must've had a faulty pair of 598s. But who knows. My focus now is on amp. I go from PC to JVC receiver to headphones. What's the next most important piece of equipment for me to buy to improve sound quality? I'll exclusively be using headphones with my computer. I kind of hate having this big ole' JVC up on my desk, so I wouldn't mind taking it out of the equation.

So. New soundcard? Or an amp?

Tabasco

I'm stuck on deciding if I should just add a ModMic to my HD 555 or make a gamble and buy the X2 with the v-moda mic.

Whenever I decide I want the X2, going to the Amazon page and looking at the price scares me.

HiResDes

Welp, I got my Sennheiser 598s returned and based off someone else's recommendation, picked up a SoundMagic HP200. It sounds amazing. I'm convinced I must've had a faulty pair of 598s. But who knows. My focus now is on amp. I go from PC to JVC receiver to headphones. What's the next most important piece of equipment for me to buy to improve sound quality? I'll exclusively be using headphones with my computer. I kind of hate having this big ole' JVC up on my desk, so I wouldn't mind taking it out of the equation.

So. New soundcard? Or an amp?
I like the HP200 better than a working 598 honestly, good choice. Only it doesn't have is a super wide soundstage.

Jzero

I'm stuck on deciding if I should just add a ModMic to my HD 555 or make a gamble and buy the X2 with the v-moda mic.

Whenever I decide I want the X2, going to the Amazon page and looking at the price scares me.

I'll sell you my X1's for 190 including shipping ;)

Read the OP, have some experience with audiophile headphones, still need help.

Need: Audiophile headphones, preferably closed circumaural (good bass and low sound bleed desired) and (possibly, see setup) a sound card.

Price Range: Willing to spend up to $300 for headphone and $100 for sound card.

Purpose: Headphones will be used exclusively at my desk for my gaming computer which I use for music (EDM, glitch-hop, reggae, and chill-step), gaming (atmospheric games, not so much shooters now-a-days), and browsing. Headphones are usually used for long stretches, so comfort is key (hence circumaural)

Setup: Will be plugged into either a discrete sound card (please recommend), or directly into a ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO which has the following audio setup:

SupremeFX
Supremacy through discrete-caliber audio

ROG-exclusive technology implements multi-approach shielding, with ELNA audio capacitors helping offer 8-channel HD sound that's equal in power, clarity, and range to dedicated sound cards. This is the first-ever onboard sound capable of true audiophile-grade performance, set to revolutionize the way you hear games, movies, music, and even other people via chat. Discover a whole new dimension of superior audio and get ready to rule.

SupremeFX shielding: ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference from within the PCB and from other components.
EMI protection cover: protects HD audio chip from interference to ensure sound quality.
ELNA premium Japan-made audio capacitors: provide warm, natural, and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity that are great for game effects and multimedia.

Prior headphone experience:

Sennheiser HD 600
Audio Technica ATH A900
Logitech G35 (currently using, but just broke)

HiResDes

I'd recommend the ADL H118, I think the sound would be perfect for what you want and they don't really need a fancy setup. The only caveat about them is their somewhat awkward fit. I have small ears so I find their triangular pads and somewhat snug clamp to be comfortable. My second pick and arguably the safer pick would be the Soundmagic HP150.

Since I tend to keep these on for long stretches I think I'd be a bit more comfortable with something like the Soundmagic HP150.

Should I look at a discreet sound card to power it? I've got a (very) high-end motherboard, but I'm not certain how well even something like that is going to work on a real audiophile setup.

no

Thank you. This will help.

no, don't get those pieces of shit.
get this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D6NPH88/?tag=neogaf0e-20

you can attach a modmic to it and use it as a normal headset. I have one and I use it with my PS4 and XOne controllers. It's flawless. don't believe the comments section; I use it in games and to control the PS4 via voice all the time.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Ok, Amazon is taking forever to get the DT 770's back in stock, and I'm seriously considering going with HP 150's instead.

What are the main differences between the two phones outside of price?

HiResDes

Ok, Amazon is taking forever to get the DT 770's back in stock, and I'm seriously considering going with HP 150's instead.

What are the main differences between the two phones outside of price?
I had the DT770 250 Ohm back in the day and the signature was quite fun, but lacked depth. Fairly wide soundstage, but an overabundance of mid-bass that kind of hit with this large yet soft rumble. The mids seemed to lack a lot detail, though the treble had decent extension, getting just a bit peaky here and there. I think the DT770 were more comfy initially, but overtime got hotter at a faster rate and their weight was slightly more noticeable as well. Both are pretty big though. The HP 150 is much more linear and balanced. Sporting a slighter v shaped sound signature. There's not much mid bass bloat at all, more subbass, similar treble, yet more detail and transparency throughout the entire range. The DT770 might be slightly better for movies, but Soundmagic wins out for music by far to me.

Tommy DJ

I'd probably go for the SoundMagic HP150 considering how much HiResDes seems to like them. Never heard them but they apparently have quite a balanced sound signature.

The DT770, on the other hand, I have heard. Lot of bass and treble emphasis. There's also mid-range suck out, so to speak. Fun to use for badly recorded Top40 music but I don't like them beyond that.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Thanks for the advice guys. If the MDR1's don't work out for me I'll return them and try out the HP150's.

1jNQT6Z.png

SiDCrAzY

Got my HP150's :)

I'm holding off on giving them my final judgement, but initial impressions are somewhat positive. Vocals seemed a bit sharp to my ears, but I'm waiting to see if that changes as I give the phones a bit of a work out.

The headphones also seems a bit tight and heavy on my fat head, but I'm not used to full sized head phones so it's actually feeling a bit better now that I'm getting used to them.

I'm not an audiophile, but I've had good experiences with SoundMagic in the past, which is why I went with these.

Jzero

Hmm, ok. That's a bit of a deal-breaker then.

Meh doesn't mean it sounds bad, i'm just saying that rock, indie and other stuff sounds better. The X1's have smoother bass than my MDR-10RBTs. I would get something with better bass though since that's the best part of electronic music.

HiResDes

Any opinion on the SoundMagic HD150 vs Philips Fidelio X1/X2 given my music tastes above (EDM mostly)?
One is completely open just remember that. ADL H118 sound good with electronic music. I'm not a big fan of them, but the M50x sound good with electronic music specifically . M-Audio Q40 are also great, sport some of the best bass I've heard, but require a decent source. You could also save a bit money and try the JVC S680 with some Brainwavz Hm5 pads. Koss Pro4s are also getting some really favorable impressions.

HiResDes

Meh doesn't mean it sounds bad, i'm just saying that rock, indie and other stuff sounds better. The X1's have smoother bass than my MDR-10RBTs. I would get something with better bass though since that's the best part of electronic music.
MDR1 are better headphones than their little cousin.

Top Bottom