• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

danthefan

So guys I'm looking for a pair of headphones just for general listening/podcasts/radio/music, and was thinking of the V-Moda Xs.

Can anyone talk to me about the quality of the microphone on these headphones? I make a lot of calls in work on MS Lync so if if I could use them with it it would be great, and also if it was good enough quality to use just for general phone calls would be great too.

Also open to any other suggestions.

I've mentioned it more than a few times, always in conjunction with the Tenore actually lol
I've said it before, but there was a period where I felt like just selling off everything I had and just keeping the Tenore and the KC06. Don't get me wrong, it does get better, but to the tune of $1,000? For me, personally, the KC06/Tenore is probably where I felt like things sounded "good enough," and the insane amount of money required to squeak past that benchmark was enough to make my eyes water.

If you enjoy the KC06/Tenore, I'd suggest looking into acquiring the JVC FX850 some day and applying James444's brilliant mods to bring the signature down closer to neutral. Once you do, it's ridiculously capable for the money, and can really go toe to toe with some full sized phones even. Its complete mastery of dynamics (from exerting the gentlest touch to the most thunderous attack at the drop of a hat) and amazing timbre is just plain special to my ears. I believe the going price for a FX850 these days is about <$300 and you can typically find it for as low as $250 on the FS section on HF.

T-Matt

I'm pretty in love with the m80 sound signature. For the price you can pay for this phone right now, I think it is a great value. Beautiful headphone as well.
And the Philips X1 as an "upgraded portapro" is exactly what I wanted.Especially for movies and games.

Tabasco

I need help making a decision out of these three:

1. Keep my over 5 year old HD 555 and add a ModMic 4.0.

2. Get a Kingston HyperX Cloud gaming headset.

3. Wait for the Kingston HyperX Cloud II.

I'm using my HD 555 with a Fiio E07K DAC/amp and I'm wondering if the Fiio is worth keeping at all.

SiDCrAzY

Okay, so for someone that mostly listens to hard rock/alternative/metal and every now and then would be used for movies. What would you recommend?

I have narrowed it down to the SoundMagic HP150 and the M50xs. Both seem like good choices, just can't seem to choose one.

Or if anybody has a better recommendation I would love to hear them. My limit is 200 dollars.

HiResDes

Okay, so for someone that mostly listens to hard rock/alternative/metal and every now and then would be used for movies. What would you recommend?

I have narrowed it down to the SoundMagic HP150 and the M50xs. Both seem like good choices, just can't seem to choose one.

Or if anybody has a better recommendation I would love to hear them. My limit is 200 dollars.
There's a new kid on the block in the Koss pro4s that's really impressing people. I'm gonna try to get my hands on a pair if I can.

HiResDes

I'm using my HD 555 with a Fiio E07K DAC/amp and I'm wondering if the Fiio is worth keeping at all.
These are kind of wack options, why in the hell do you think the Kingston Gameset is going to be an upgrade in any fashion besides having an attached mic?

Out of those three options, I'd go with #1. Kingston headset seems like a downgrade.

Tabasco

These are kind of wack options, why in the hell do you think the Kingston Gameset is going to be an upgrade in any fashion besides having an attached mic?
I wasn't necessarily looking for an upgrade but something of same level as the HD 555 with a mic.

I know it lacks the soundstage, but I thought it could be something I could deal with.

Do you recommend I keep the amp for the HD 555 though? Should I try a sound card?

I know I may have already asked these questions in the past, but I'm still deciding on a definitive answer.

vertical

Neo Member
Just wanted to chime in and say that I had the exact same experience regarding the 595s. When I got a pair of portapros for portable use I was blown away by how much I preferred their warmth and punch. They're way less detailed, but also way cheaper and more enjoyable.The 595s are great for movies and games, but I much prefer a dynamic and "fun" headphone for music. Currently eyeing the X2s.

Yeah, same here. I listened to HD600 at a HF meet and decided on the Fidelio X2...no regrets at all. I much prefer the warmer signature of the X2.

HiResDes

I wasn't necessarily looking for an upgrade but something of same level as the HD 555 with a mic.

I know it lacks the soundstage, but I thought it could be something I could deal with.

Do you recommend I keep the amp for the HD 555 though? Should I try a sound card?

I know I may have already asked these questions in the past, but I'm still deciding on a definitive answer.
What is your goal?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

If you have no problem with the HD555, just keep it and buy a mic for it.

TrounceX

Hello headphoneGAF,

I recently ordered a pair of HD600's during one of the holiday deals, but I have found myself pretty disappointed in them. I have been the owner of 595's for about the past 10 years and have used them practically daily. I LOVE the sound on the 595's, in fact, I somehow love them more than the 600's. It's like the soundstage is so much wider and there's more separation and detail. The 600's feel confined and kind of muddy in comparison. It's a richer sound, but more focused and less engaging.

Currently I only have a Fiio E17 DAC driving the 600's. Could this be the issue? Should I spring for the Fiio E09k amplifier to combo with the E17?

Or could it be that I just prefer the 595's all be damned what everyone else says? Anyone else relate to this?

Thanks

Tekniqs

Hello headphoneGAF,

I recently ordered a pair of HD600's during one of the holiday deals, but I have found myself pretty disappointed in them. I have been the owner of 595's for about the past 10 years and have used them practically daily. I LOVE the sound on the 595's, in fact, I somehow love them more than the 600's. It's like the soundstage is so much wider and there's more separation and detail. The 600's feel confined and kind of muddy in comparison. It's a richer sound, but more focused and less engaging.

Currently I only have a Fiio E17 DAC driving the 600's. Could this be the issue? Should I spring for the Fiio E09k amplifier to combo with the E17?

Or could it be that I just prefer the 595's all be damned what everyone else says? Anyone else relate to this?

Thanks

holy shit lol! that's the set up I was aiming for (hd600/e17)...if you're thinking about selling, let me know =)

mmm have they had a chance to burn in some? I don't know how much improvement there is with the hd600 from brand new to ~50-100 hours, but there's probably some noticeable differences.

TrounceX

holy shit lol! that's the set up I was aiming for (hd600/e17)...if you're thinking about selling, let me know =)

mmm have they had a chance to burn in some? I don't know how much improvement there is with the hd600 from brand new to ~50-100 hours, but there's probably some noticeable differences.

That crossed my mind too, but it seems to be just a fundamentally different sound signature than the 595's. I really love how the 595's seem to just wrap you in the sound, like the soundstage is just huuuuge. The 600's are more direct and tight. Gosh I suck at explaining sound. Idk how much of this can be changed by amping or burn in, but I'm a noob here.

I'll let you know if I decide to sell, seriously.

HiResDes

That crossed my mind too, but it seems to be just a fundamentally different sound signature than the 595's. I really love how the 595's seem to just wrap you in the sound, like the soundstage is just huuuuge. The 600's are more direct and tight. Gosh I suck at explaining sound. Idk how much of this can be changed by amping or burn in, but I'm a noob here.

The HD600 and 650 are much more power hungry than the 595/598. Most people pair the aforementioned cans with much more powerful setups than you guys are considering. I really think something warmer like an entry level tube amp ala the HifiMan EF2A or Aune T1 or the Geek Out would sound best with the 600.

Tekniqs

yep, let me know man.

The HD600 and 650 are much more power hungry than the 595/598. Most people pair the aforementioned cans with much more powerful setups than you guys are considering. I really think something warmer like an entry level tube amp ala the HifiMan EF2A or Aune T1 or the Geek Out would sound best with the 600.

shiiiiiiiiiit lol

Welp, I'm sending my 598s back. I honestly think I have a problem with them. I became suspicious after I listened to some movie scores and my sound still sounded very dull and....muffled? Like there was an extra piece of foam between my ear and them. I went to a friend's place and hooked into his setup, and though they sounded a little better, my headphones still sounded dull. He gave a listen and pointed out the left one sounded funny to him. So I slid the left off and just listened to the right, and went back-and-forth and yep. The left one sounds garbage. Very muffled. Bah....I brought them back home, and had the same results. Crummy....

TrounceX

I feel like I've gone one step too far down the HiFi rabbit hole....

I feel like I've gone one step too far down the HiFi rabbit hole....

Nah if you don't like the sound send them bitches back or sell them. They most likely won't get better with time. You might get more used to their sound, but they won't get better. If you know you don't want to invest in a stronger DAC/Amp, get rid of them. The Fidelio X2's might be more to your liking. Don't require a lot to drive them.

Does anyone think this combo is good for gaming/music?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3QD94O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

with this mic

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ17WKK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I feel like this would be an upgrade from my HD 555. Does the X1 need a sound card to be driven properly, or would a headphone amp suffice?

Of course, if I'm making a poor decision, please let me know.
They'll sound good. I have the X1's and have spent a good deal of time with them gaming and they're excellent.

Are you PC gaming or console gaming?

Armaly

Oh man, never realized how beat up my M50 earpads were until today. Finally got around to replacing them after 2+ years of use.

Went from this:

72O5VTd.jpg

To this:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a longer life span? I read that wiping them down after every use(used to do once a month) and using leather protectant help. I have sensitive skin so i'm not too keep on using leather protectant. Any other ideas? Thanks.

wilflare

friend has a US$350 budget for IEM
any recommendations?

his own IEM has a history of the cables wearing out
so he's looking for something with strong build quality and a wide soundstage

hope you guys can help!

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Has anyone had any experience with the AKG K551's?

They are going pretty cheap on amazon at the moment and I need to replace my HD598's in work because people have started to complain they can hear my music. (obviously as they are open headphones)

I am open to other closed headphones suggestions, although I am pretty sure they will sadly all be a downgrade to my 598's :(

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ugh I am silly I meant my 598's!

Although I am about to buy the K551's for £64 which seems like a steal, so worth a shot I think.

Mad Max

Hey headphone gaf. I'm looking for a new headphone dac/amp combo and need some advice. I currently have: dt770pro (250ohm) + fiio E10, which I've been using for 3 years. And while the e10 is fine for it's small size I've always felt that it doesn't like the 770pro's high input impedance. So I'm looking for a desktop dac and amp combo that's more powerful and can drive high impedance cans well. My budget is about €200 to €250.

HiResDes

Hey headphone gaf. I'm looking for a new headphone dac/amp combo and need some advice. I currently have: dt770pro (250ohm) + fiio E10, which I've been using for 3 years. And while the e10 is fine for it's small size I've always felt that it doesn't like the 770pro's high input impedance. So I'm looking for a desktop dac and amp combo that's more powerful and can drive high impedance cans well. My budget is about €200 to €250.
Check out the Geek Out 1000.

yonder

A dragonfly should be enough to power the X2s right? Anyone tried it? I guess I could always buy a separate amp later on if I felt like I needed it, but I really like the form factor of the dragonfly and hate clutter and extra stuff on my desk.

terrible

Banned
Welp, I'm sending my 598s back. I honestly think I have a problem with them. I became suspicious after I listened to some movie scores and my sound still sounded very dull and....muffled? Like there was an extra piece of foam between my ear and them. I went to a friend's place and hooked into his setup, and though they sounded a little better, my headphones still sounded dull. He gave a listen and pointed out the left one sounded funny to him. So I slid the left off and just listened to the right, and went back-and-forth and yep. The left one sounds garbage. Very muffled. Bah....I brought them back home, and had the same results. Crummy....

Non of that sounds right. I could understand someone thinking they were a bit boring because they are a tad bit bass light but they're definitely not muffled. With the driver imbalance you're talking about I'd have to guess that they are defective or something.

damn the OPPO amp is really forgiving of average headphones - running my Audiotechnica ATH-A900s in single ended..it sounds pretty damn good. Not as clear or as transparent as either the LCD3 or HD800s but its decent. Noise floor isnt as low and just isnt as warm as the audeze and the drums dont tend to come in so hard...but im surprised how solid these old cans sound.

mr stroke

Was thinking about getting a small amp like the FiiO ones to use with my new AKGs (thanks for the recommendation Des) when listing from my work PC or phone, is this one any good? Any other recommendations? Would I even see any benefit?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HJWWW8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

spend $30 more and get the E11 like new

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QVPGXK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

sounds much better, in fact that E11 is my go to portable amp with my Macbook/iPhone

Top Bottom