• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Hey guys, just chasing some recommendations on the best over ear headphones for under ~$300.

I'm primarily using them for listening to music at home, and I like a broad range of stuff so I'm looking for something that handles most sorts of music well. Is there a consensus on a 'best' model, or is it more of a subjective thing?

Cheers.

Hey guys, just chasing some recommendations on the best over ear headphones for under ~$300.

I'm primarily using them for listening to music at home, and I like a broad range of stuff so I'm looking for something that handles most sorts of music well. Is there a consensus on a 'best' model, or is it more of a subjective thing?

Cheers.

The "best" model is subjective since everyone has different ears. But the Philips Fidelio X1 is a good all rounder and fits your budget ($258 on Amazon).

darkwing

Cheers.

just posting the usual list because it is subjective lol

Senn 598
Sony MDR1
V-Moda M100
HP50
X1/X2
etc..

HiResDes

A few others...

Closed:
  • NAD Viso HP50
  • Soundmagic HP100
  • Yamaha MT220
  • Koss Pro4S
  • ADL H118

Open:
  • HiFiMan - HE-400
  • AKG Q701
  • Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
  • Soundmagic HP200
  • Sony MDRMA900
  • Sennheiser HD600
  • Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

andylsun

My friend just received his Fulla

http://schiit.com/products/fulla

Build quality isn't very good, even at that price point. Lots of very sharp edges on the outer metal casing. Would easily scratch and cut if you weren't careful.

Unit is *very* loud compared to the Dragonfly - turning the volume less than 15% from off is more than loud enough with my HD25-I. With the Dragonfly, I'd be running about 40% for the same level.

My Mac reports that the Fulla doesn't have any software volume control.

dUv4Mzll.png

I did notice that the fulla does seem to pick up 50Hz hum from all cables and junk on my desk. The Dragonfly was whisper quiet at all times. Had to move a few power cables around to get it to quieten down.

In terms of sound quality, once the hum was reduced, and when matched volume with the Dragonfly, I couldn't really tell any difference between the two.

If they can sort out the sharp edges then that would make it much nicer. He also bought the SYS which had much nicer casing, without any of the issues.

HiResDes

Well the Creative SB X-Fi Titanium soundcard isnt exactly rubbish and was one of the best when i got it about 3 years ago

Oh yeah, honestly I don't even remember why I said that or what your setup was, too many people in here asking about the 598 at the same time. I think you were having volume problems, which I don't understand given that card's sound output. My HT Omega Claro gets plenty loud and is quite similar to the Creative.

terrible

Banned

Cheers.

What kind of music do you typically listen to? That's a big factor. I know you say a broad range but still. Probably all of the headphones that've been suggested to you in here are good but some will be better for your preferred music than others.

I just received my Shiit Asgard 2 and Modi 2 Uber stack. Sounds great so far, but I'm wondering - can I leave them on 24/7 or is it better to turn the power off when I'm not using it? The product page for Asgard 2 says I can leave the headphones plugged in 24/7, just want to make extra certain.

Lettuce

Oh yeah, honestly I don't even remember why I said that or what your setup was, too many people in here asking about the 598 at the same time. I think you were having volume problems, which I don't understand given that card's sound output. My HT Omega Claro gets plenty loud and is quite similar to the Creative.

Nah its just if i go from using my desktop speakers and then to my headphones then the volume is stupidly loud on the headphones, im just wonder if these in-line volume devices effect audio quality at all

Got my v-moda Crossfade M100!!!!

SUPER happy with these, thank you so much for the recomendation HiResDes! I've been listening to different styles of music from metal to rap to very nosey shoegaze and everything sounds awesome!

Also loved the packaging and the carry case that comes with it, all excepcionally designed but also functional.

And of course i just love the design of the headphones themselves. All matte black, no distracting logos or flashy shit (I hate beats designs with a passion for this reason specially), they are very low profile and that's exactly how i prefer things in general so it just suits me perfectly.

vertical

Neo Member
AiuDsqH

SUPER happy with these, thank you so much for the recomendation HiResDes! I've been listening to different styles of music from metal to rap to very nosey shoegaze and everything just sounds awesome.

lSNAkmt

Also loved the packaging and the carry case that comes with it, all excepcionally designed but also functional.

And of course i just love the design of the headphones themselves. All matte black, no distracting logos or flashy shit (I hate beats designs with a passion for this reason specially), they are very low profile and that's exactly how i prefer things in general so it just suits me perfectly.

V-Moda also offers a service where they'll take your custom design (any font or diagram within their parameters) and laser etch it onto a set of outer cup plates for you! Something to consider for a future upgrade if you are happy with the M100s.

Enjoy! ;)

I know these probably aren't great headphones but the store I work at was for some reason selling Sync by 50 cent headphones for $60. I bought them since I didn't own a pair of wireless headphones. Was $60 too much?

Just using them as spares though, I already have decent headphones.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
AiuDsqH

SUPER happy with these, thank you so much for the recomendation HiResDes! I've been listening to different styles of music from metal to rap to very nosey shoegaze and everything just sounds awesome.

lSNAkmt

Congrats. And a BoomPro is a great addition, for gaming.

V-Moda also offers a service where they'll take your custom design (any font or diagram within their parameters) and laser etch it onto a set of outer cup plates for you! Something to consider for a future upgrade if you are happy with the M100s.

Enjoy! ;)

Yeah! I am already thinking of what design to choose.

I would like to have the godflesh logo but I'm afraid it does not fit that nicely in the hexagon shaped plates...
www.metalinjection.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Godflesh.jpg

Tommy DJ

I just received my Shiit Asgard 2 and Modi 2 Uber stack. Sounds great so far, but I'm wondering - can I leave them on 24/7 or is it better to turn the power off when I'm not using it? The product page for Asgard 2 says I can leave the headphones plugged in 24/7, just want to make extra certain.

The justification for leaving it on 24/7 is that the amp and DAC will stay warn and ready to use. That apparently makes things sound better. In my mind, its just a waste of power.

If you're worried about longevity, there shouldn't be any. Solid state hardware is generally stupid tough and many are able to last for decades.

HiResDes

Got my e17 and e09k!

QUmhPZw.jpg

Can't wait for my toslink cable to come in so I can try tv audio at the same time.
You should be plugging the headphones into the e09k btw if you want to advantage of the bundled setup.

Super excited to see someone come back and post pictures and impressions of their purchase, we don't get hardly enough of that even if someone is unhappy it's nice to get impressions.

At Toku don't hold your breath until they come out with a M51 or something.

You should be plugging the headphones into the e09k btw if you want to advantage of the bundled setup.

Super excited to see someone come back and post pictures and impressions of their purchase, we don't get hardly enough of that even if someone is unhappy it's nice to get impressions.

Lol, just noticed that.

Armaly

Thanks for the warning. I'm actually doing a test for a friend. He claims that the e17 gives a larger soundstage when directly plugged in so i'm just testing it out by switching them off an hour each time.

Can I ask a super dumb question?

I just purchased the Philips X2/27 Headphones kind of randomly and I'm wondering if I need to get anything else for my setup to prepare for "real" headphones. I've done some basic research (and this thread is very helpful) and have heard a lot about amps and DACs, but I'm so new to this kind of stuff that it's going a little over my head.

All I have for speakers are the Logitech Z623s which are connected to my gaming PC. My PC doesn't have a soundcard (just using the built-in on my mobo, an Asus Maximus VI Hero). My primary interests are playing games, watching movies, and listening to music (everything but country)... pretty much in that order.

So, my question: Is there anything else I need to buy to make sure I'm getting the most out of these new headphones, or can I just plug it in and assume I'll hear good things? :)

Can I ask a super dumb question?

I just purchased the Philips X2/27 Headphones kind of randomly and I'm wondering if I need to get anything else for my setup to prepare for "real" headphones. I've done some basic research (and this thread is very helpful) and have heard a lot about amps and DACs, but I'm so new to this kind of stuff that it's going a little over my head.

All I have for speakers are the Logitech Z623s which are connected to my gaming PC. My PC doesn't have a soundcard (just using the built-in on my mobo, an Asus Maximus VI Hero). My primary interests are playing games, watching movies, and listening to music (everything but country)... pretty much in that order.

So, my question: Is there anything else I need to buy to make sure I'm getting the most out of these new headphones, or can I just plug it in and assume I'll hear good things? :)

The X2 is rated at 30 ohms, so the onboard sound should drive it just fine. An external DAC will probably be helpful, but I'd hold off until after you receive the X2 and find that you hear hissing or something. And if your digital music collection is under 256kbps, you'll probably be surprised to hear flaws in the recording you've never noticed before ;)

The X2 is rated at 30 ohms, so the onboard sound should drive it just fine. An external DAC will probably be helpful, but I'd hold off until after you receive the X2 and find that you hear hissing or something. And if your digital music collection is under 256kbps, you'll probably be surprised to hear flaws in the recording you've never noticed before ;)
Awesome, thank you so much! :)

max_505

I've heard my friend's Parterre on a few occasions. What do you want to know about it?

Just your general impressions on it (soundsig, build quality, fit, fatiguing or not). I'm coming from a Westone 4 and was thinking of upgrading to a TOTL iem (if the Parterre is) without going over $1000. Found one for about $750.

HiResDes

I'd be looking into the Aurisonics AS-G2, though after the Westone 4 you're gonna be looking at extremely diminishing returns,right?

max_505

I'd be looking into the Aurisonics AS-G2, though after the Westone 4 you're gonna be looking at extremely diminishing returns,right?

Yeah, there's the thing about diminishing returns, so I'm looking at this as a final upgrade
everyone says that until the next purchase

From what I've read about the Parterre, it's airy, balanced, open, and has a good soundstage/headstage and instrument separation, which is what I'm looking for, since the Fitear TG334 might have too much bass for me and is also more expensive. Does the AS-G2 sound similar to it?

The Parterre has stellar build quality since all of the FitEars are hand made out of layers of acrylic in Suyama's lab by extremely competent technicians. There's actually this huge wait list in Japan for any of the FitEars simply cause they can't keep up with demand and they have trouble hiring techs that meet their standard. Although I believe that they are transitioning to 3D printing now which should eventually help with availability

The signature of the Parterre is a definite U shape to my ears. It's not my kind of sig personally, as I find there's simply too much bass and I find it's intrusive. It's usually okay until you hit something that focuses on bass such as EDM or something and then it just feels overbearing. The bass has very good extension and pretty good control, but it has a mildly lengthy decay and feels slow and lacks texture to me coming from stuff like the UERM. The treble extension is pretty good, and the mids feel a touch recessed due to the U shape. The upper mid/treble area felt pretty good to me when I demoed them. Not harsh, but just the right amount of aggression and presence.

I'd pass on the ASG-2 personally. It does sound similar to the 334, but the 334 is overall more transparent and has noticeably better imaging. I think the thing that impressed me the most about the 334 was its imaging. It was one of the few IEMs I'd ever heard where it felt like the stage actually possessed this chameleonic quality where it felt like its dimensions and shape actually changed depending upon the recording. It was very holographic in that sense. The midrange felt very transparent as well, but I wasn't a fan of its limited treble extension and sluggish bass. The G-2 on the other hand, has too much mid bass, and the treble has this sort of spitty quality to it due to a dip in the lower treble and a spike at around 8-10 kHz. The ASG-2.5 is overall much better sounding to me.

...Which brings me to the ASG 1 Plus. This is easily the best ASG phone that AS has put out IMO. The signature is significantly more neutral than its forebears, so everything from the bass to the mids to the treble feel quite a bit smoother and refined. It lacks the overall rawness of the Rockets which I really liked though.

I posted some impressions on it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745498/aur...-information-and-discussions/30#post_11197280

Now that I've had a few days with it, none of my opinions on the Plus have changed since then, especially in regard to the upper mid/lower treble dip which is the sole area I have a beef with. I felt like this was executed better on the Rockets which have overall better linearity as a result. This results in some tonal issues with stuff like guitars and singers whose range is in the upper registers. It sort of becomes a pick and choose scenario as a result. I'm not sure that the majority of listeners would even notice this though since it really depends on what sort of gear you're coming from, and also because the industry at large seems to favor a signature with a dip at 4-5 kHz anyway.

Still, given my choice between the two, and my overall taste, I'd still pick the 1 Plus over the Parterre any day. It's also quite a bit cheaper at $396 if you order through Springtree. If you're ever in Japan though, see if you can demo a pair of the FitEars at some place like E-Earphone or Fujiya

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So my MDR1's just came in the mail today. I'm testing them out currently on this Spotify mix. Thanks for the recs guys.

Initial impressions are very high. Sound quality seems superb. These are my first pair of high >$100 phones though, so it's subjective.

Ear pads are a little thin though, and the bass is lower than I'm used to. Will post more impressions later.

Granadier

Do you care mean leaner or lower in terms of depth?

Ahh sorry, I meant the amount of bass, or strength of the bass, is lower than I am used to.

But I'm used to some fairly low-end headphones. My perception could be skewed. My main set before this were Pistons and RS 120's.

Armaly

My elHooks arrived today. These hooks seem pretty sturdy. They use the standard command hook paste so you know that it'll definitely stick. Might try to build a remote/cellphone stand with the spare hooks I bought.

Tekniqs

welp, for some odd reason my payment for the HD600 never went through....

ended up just ordering a dolphin based off of the hype.

Guinea pig #2 here

Granadier

These headphones are feeling better and better the longer I listen. And they really show off things I was missing in songs.

Further impressions and pictures:
The box Sony packaged them in was fairly nice. It held them in place well and had some good protection inside.

wIVgfDc.png

Inside there were the phones, a soft-lined carrying bag, and two cables. One with mic/playback controls and one without.

ydy03D2.png

m9U9gtI.png

One thing that I thought was great attention to detail was this little pad on the right ear cup. It's there so when the phones rotate flat the cup housings won't impact directly.

nEZzpJR.png

r3ysvGO.png

The build quality is great. Hinges are silent and the headband feels solid. Only complaint I have about the physical construction is that they pads are pretty thin. Not sure if those can be swapped out or not, but it's minor.

For $177, it's hard to complain much about these things. They sound great.

HiResDes

Awesome impressions and picks, this thread was pretty much just the same five or six regulars posting and I'm so happy to see it get some new life. I better see some Dolphin impressions too. Let's see if the headfi hype machine is real this time.

Bloodember

Well, I decided on the Shure srh1840. Got them today, they sound pretty good, I know from research they need broken in. Now I need to get a DAC / headphone amp for the PC. I'm looking at getting the Aune x1 pro. Anyone have any experience with this?

Top Bottom