• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Coreda

This is a hobby and I love it. You consider it a waste of money? Then good for you. Enjoy trying to convince people not to buy things and watch your blood pressure raise.

I don't know why you are so angry at people buying high end products. Sure there are things that are better value for money, but who cares? I want to buy what I want to buy. You don't need to go through every thread and warn people not buy something.

The reasoning behind the posts I didn't feel was trying to persuade people to not like what they like, but more to do with claiming certain things sound better when it's demonstrably not the case. See: USB cables for an obvious case, or even the hard drive comparison post that set it off.

It was these type of discussions that originally pushed NwAvGuy to produce the Objective2 (O2) amp and ODAC DAC, to show there can be an affordable transparent amp and DAC. The O2 ABX'ing well against reference amps many times the cost. That's not to say all affordable amps or DACs are perfect, either, some test better or worse than others.

People will buy what they want but it's also good to have unbiased, objective tests when comparing what to buy.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
@Captive
Just get some Bose or Beats. If you need all that shit
Thanks, this was.... helpful. I also enjoyed the condescending tone that came with the post.
unless of course it wasn't intended that way

Is it really that unreasonable to want one set of headphones with what I want? I know myself. I lose shit. I don't want to carry around some POS Bluetooth headset just for phone calls, then a set of headphones just for the plane. As I said in the post I understand they may not sound the best, but that's why I said I have my grado's. But nothing like 500 dollar hi fi headphones soundstage being blasted by ~85db of jet engine noise.

Anyway, I can't believe I actually went and checked out some beats studio wireless, albeit it I listened to them plugged in which makes them just v2.0 studio. They sound better than the first iteration, but they feel cheap with all the plastic. I ended up getting the Sony MDR-1NC and they sound pretty great. And the noise cancelling works pretty well so far, tested standing next to my running dishwasher and a running dehydrator and was impressed.

This is what certain audio communities will do to some people. Amazing.

Some choice quotes:
This just reeks of a fundamental lack of knowledge on how computers and in particular storage works.

Want to debate and test sound cards, knock yourself out, but the fucking storage? Jesus Christ.

HiResDes

Sorry I was just being honest, and we've been bombarded by the same question lately. They're have been like five threads in off topic where I came in and tried to help, but the QC25 do actually have pretty much the best active noise isolation and are comfortable. And while AKG, Sony, PSB, and Sennheiser have some alternatives that sound a bit better in terms sound quality, they're all around the same price as Beats or Bose.

I plugged my audeze and hd800s into my centrance dacmini, my OPPO amp sounds much better...
The problem is your tests are not impartial-- you know what you're plugged into before you even test. How do you know that your observations aren't biased from that? If someone could hook up a double-blind test, would you try it?

About DACs and amps, most makers do provide specs and diagrams for their innards so I don't feel like it's exactly like cable "magic" but, since most people (myself included) no so little about the technical details of they work, maybe it acts very similarly-- look, we're using eight thingies instead of four!-- impressive looking doesn't always mean impressive performing.

I am plowing through that audio-technology book that was posted a few pages ago and it's pretty eye-opening about a lot of this stuff.

pj

Banned
I'll trawl Wikipedia and find some if you like.

If you don't hear the difference, then don't buy them.

I plugged my audeze and hd800s into my centrance dacmini, my OPPO amp sounds much better.

This is a hobby and I love it. You consider it a waste of money? Then good for you. Enjoy trying to convince people not to buy things and watch your blood pressure raise.

I don't know why you are so angry at people buying high end products. Sure there are things that are better value for money, but who cares? I want to buy what I want to buy. You don't need to go through every thread and warn people not buy something.

You seem to be completely missing the point. I believe that you hear a difference, what I don't believe is that the difference actually exists. The preponderance of evidence agrees with me.

I am not angry, on a 0-10, bob marley to murderous rampage scale, audiophilia puts me at about a 2, and that's only when I make the mistake of actively engaging and trying to help.

It's not about the value for the money. If your USB cable was an extra $100 for a however-you-want-to-define-it 1% increase in sound quality, I would say it's silly but not insane. You are paying $100 for ZERO CHANGE. That is insane. It's not diminishing returns that bugs me, it's disappearing returns.

Please, for your own benefit, arrange a blind comparison of your fanciest USB cable and a $5 one. Have a friend come by and help you. Do the same for your best DAC and your 8th best DAC. If you couldn't tell the difference, what would you do? It's like you want to be a sucker or something.

captive

Sorry I was just being honest, and we've been bombarded by the same question lately. They're have been like five threads in off topic where I came in and tried to help, but the QC25 do actually have pretty much the best active noise isolation and are comfortable. And while AKG, Sony, PSB, and Sennheiser have some alternatives that sound a bit better in terms sound quality, they're all around the same price as Beats or Bose.
No worries.
I know Bose is supposed to be best in class NC but I just cannot support Bose or Beats for what they represent in audio.

I'm pretty happy with the Sony's I got. Been listening to them all day.

pj

Banned
I swear I can tell the difference between tube and solid state though. I'd take that blind test with $100 down.

Oh I think most people could do that. Lots of tube amps have intentional coloration to produce a "warm" sound or whatever. There are other things that distinguish the sound, which are usually flaws on the tube side.

I need a new set of headphones for two purposes:

1.) To hook up to my Yamaha P-155 digital piano, so I can play The Imperial March at 2am as loud as I want without angering my roommates (other songs as well, but I just learned this one).

2.) For gaming. I want some headphones that have Surround Sound. Having a mic would be a plus, but not necessary.

Obviously, I want them to sound great as well...and I want to be able to try them before buying, if possible. Being able to compare multiple headphones at the same time, at one store would be awesome.

My price range is $200-$300. Although if I was able to compare a $200 to a $500 and the $500 blew me away, I would save up for a month.

Any recommendations for headphones that meet this criteria? Also, any store recommendations that have a wide variety of headphones to try? Thanks!

Tekniqs

read a bit more on the hd600 and possible amps.
How's the fiio e17? I can hook that up via toslink from my computer then to my headphones with the added ability of taking it around with my ipod/IEMs...

How's the fiio e17? I can hook that up via toslink from my computer then to my headphones with the added ability of taking it around with my ipod/IEMs...
The E17 is nice, haven't used it with the HD600, but just beware that with iPhones (don't know about iPods) it falls victim to the too much power over USB issue.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Took some advice from this thread and pulled the trigger on Sennheiser HD598s today. Never had headphones of this quality before. Looking forward to trying them.

Waikis

amazing that the DACs don't even matter in the test? the cheapest and the most expensive in the finals? or is it because the cheap one was overperforming?

The EE minimax dac is one of the finest dac in that price range and it can easily outperform higher priced dacs.

Also, put me in the different dacs make a difference camp :).

That being said, I do agree that once you have reached a certain point, there is a significant diminishing return - to the point where it might be difficult to discern any meaningful differences. The dac test that PJ linked also came to the same conclusion doesn't it? It's not that they didnt find any differences at all, it's just that the differences isn't that great or meaningful.

People like to say that high end audio sellers are akin to snake oil salesmen, but the reality is that these sellers (the good ones at least) are actually willing to let their potential customers to have a home audition so that you can test the synergy with your own system. When I ubought my dac, this is what I exactly did. To quote stereo mojo, "We believe that the best test is your own ears in your own home in your own system".

HiResDes

I'd recommend checking out the Geek Out series as well, though you'd lose ipod capability. The HD600 don't seem like headphones I'd use on the go anyway.

I'd recommend checking out the Geek Out series as well, though you'd lose ipod capability. The HD600 don't seem like headphones I'd use on the go anyway.
Check out Leckerton as well. The DAC isn't that well regarded (I think it's fine to my ears though) but the amp section is wonderful and it's iDevice compatible. I have a Geek Out as well and it's great.

Tekniqs

Oh no doubt, I wouldn't use them on the go. It's just I go out of the country quite a bit and would like to bring the headphones with me for when there's downtime or what not.

Ultima_5

I'm tired of cheap ear buds and I'm considering getting a set of audio technica m40x headphones. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC4JMAS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Theses good? I make decent money and can afford whatever for the most part but I mostly listen to punk and ska so I assume I don't need much. Some vinyl stuff and some old MP3s. Occasionally I'll use em for gaming. These good GAF?

You seem to be completely missing the point. I believe that you hear a difference, what I don't believe is that the difference actually exists. The preponderance of evidence agrees with me.

I am not angry, on a 0-10, bob marley to murderous rampage scale, audiophilia puts me at about a 2, and that's only when I make the mistake of actively engaging and trying to help.

It's not about the value for the money. If your USB cable was an extra $100 for a however-you-want-to-define-it 1% increase in sound quality, I would say it's silly but not insane. You are paying $100 for ZERO CHANGE. That is insane. It's not diminishing returns that bugs me, it's disappearing returns.

Please, for your own benefit, arrange a blind comparison of your fanciest USB cable and a $5 one. Have a friend come by and help you. Do the same for your best DAC and your 8th best DAC. If you couldn't tell the difference, what would you do? It's like you want to be a sucker or something.

You know i got my USB cable as a gift? and i actually said i couldnt tell the difference at all. I can defn hear the difference in the DAC though. However, the oppo is a lot more powerful, has a batter DAC chip and has balanced outputs...so there was going to be a difference.

Ceej

I'm really sad tonight. My long-loved Westone W4R's cracked at the base where the eartip attaches. I have worn these things several hours a days for over a year. They've been my silent savior for studying, for getting me through hours of tough workouts and my first flight (and one with a crying baby!) I am honestly shocked. I bought the replaceable cable model because I thought for sure it would be what broke first.

I wouldn't be so bummed if I could send them in and get them replaced, but the new W40s just look crappier with their replaceable plastic faceplates and iphone cables, and I have heard that despite having the same drivers they don't sound as good as the 4R. Anyone here have W40s?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Got my AKG's in!

Sounds good so far. I assume they will only get better.

Only downside is the cable is only 3 feet long. What would I look for to order a longer one? It has the basic headphone plug at one end and a bigger one at the other. Any good cable brands I should go with?

Also should I look into an amp?

I got my Sennheiser 598s and so far I'm not impressed. It might be that I'm using a JVC surround sound receiver as my amp+DAC? I don't know what I need to do at this point.

HiResDes

I'm tired of cheap ear buds and I'm considering getting a set of audio technica m40x headphones. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC4JMAS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Theses good? I make decent money and can afford whatever for the most part but I mostly listen to punk and ska so I assume I don't need much. Some vinyl stuff and some old MP3s. Occasionally I'll use em for gaming. These good GAF?

If you're gonna spend $100 get some NVX XPT100 or Koss Pro DJ200 or Rock It Sounds R-DJ instead.

...I tried warning new people about the 598s not being all too exciting or immediately likeable and yet everyone still rushed out and get them for some reason (maybe that off-topic thread). From an audiophile standpoint they're great, open, comfortable and mostly non-coloured sound. However, nothing really stands out about the headphone and I find them to just be a bit boring.

hmm looks like you want some 'dynamic' kind of cans, like the M100 or MDR1A

really depends on your taste or mood
Welp, it might be too early to tell too. We'll see. I'm going to switch out my JVC for my newer Onkyo. Also going to try my M-Audio I use for studio recording to see how it sounds. I've been listening to metal right off the bat, which some suggested the Sennheisers aren't great for. I listen to a ton of movie scores and such, so I'm going to give those a try. I imagine they'll sound a lot better.

Gibbo

I got my Sennheiser 598s and so far I'm not impressed. It might be that I'm using a JVC surround sound receiver as my amp+DAC? I don't know what I need to do at this point.

Are you using the sudh1 to decode the dts and dd surround? I pair my HD650 with a novo amp + sudh1 for my consoles, and the same headset w Xonar U7 and novo amp for my pc. I found the quality to be better on the latter pairing

darkwing

Welp, it might be too early to tell too. We'll see. I'm going to switch out my JVC for my newer Onkyo. Also going to try my M-Audio I use for studio recording to see how it sounds. I've been listening to metal right off the bat, which some suggested the Sennheisers aren't great for. I listen to a ton of movie scores and such, so I'm going to give those a try. I imagine they'll sound a lot better.

oh then the 598s would be great for movie scores etc... dat soundstage

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
How do people feel about the sound magic HP150? They good for the money? I just got the Takstar Pro 80 and loving the sound quality, having upgraded from the UE 6000. But I am not a fan of the fit as the headband is too small.

Are you using the sudh1 to decode the dts and dd surround? I pair my HD650 with a novo amp + sudh1 for my consoles, and the same headset w Xonar U7 and novo amp for my pc. I found the quality to be better on the latter pairing
I'm actually currently going from my PC's onboard optical on my MSI gaming motherboard to my JVC, and plugged directly into headphone output on front. I was curious how it would go with just this, but it sounds like I'm going to need some more pieces to really make this pop. Can I ask which exact Nova Amp you're using? Also, if I'm using my new headphones with just my computer, I don't need a DAC, right? And in that case, I could just take my JVC out of the equation. Or am I misunderstanding something.

Right now I have about $150 for my budget. If I need to save up, I'll gladly wait. I can try and get an amp around that price, or buy a ASUS Xonar U7 for now. I've been considering getting the U7 for a while, and hearing it is nice has me leaning even more towards one.

HiResDes

How do people feel about the sound magic HP150? They good for the money? I just got the Takstar Pro 80 and loving the sound quality, having upgraded from the UE 6000. But I am not a fan of the fit as the headband is too small.
Definitely a good value, and pretty damn comfortable as well.

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
Definitely a good value, and pretty damn comfortable as well.

Thanks for the reply meng :) Would you say they are comparable in sound quality? I used to be a basshead but having grown to love the Havi B3 Pro 1 I am more into balanced sound signatures.

Would the HP150 be appropriate for top 40 music? Thanks in advance.

HiResDes

Thanks for the reply meng :) Would you say they are comparable in sound quality? I used to be a basshead but having grown to love the Havi B3 Pro 1 I am more into balanced sound signatures.

Would the HP150 be appropriate for top 40 music? Thanks in advance.

HP150 are pretty well balanced, but they definitely have a bit of a sub-bass and extended treble...Something like the Brainwavz HM5 or Koss Pro4S is more akin to a direct upgrade of the Pro80 sound signature.

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
HP150 are pretty well balanced, but they definitely have a bit of a sub-bass and extended treble...Something like the Brainwavz HM5 or Koss Pro4S is more akin to a direct upgrade of the Pro80 sound signature.

Funny you should mention the HM5s! I picked em up for 50 bucks of craigslist. I find them to be lacking treble extension and sounds a bit....hollow for lack of a better word. They sound amazing for acoustic and softer music but not so much for more upbeat music. But I feel like I got a solid deal for 50 bucks.

One thing I dislike about the Takstar is that the treble can be a bit too energetic at times. But I will look into the ones you mentioned thank you :) Unfortunately any headphone I buy at this point is going to be a blind buy as I won't have a chance to audition.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Got my AKG's in!

Sounds good so far. I assume they will only get better.

Only downside is the cable is only 3 feet long. What would I look for to order a longer one? It has the basic headphone plug at one end and a bigger one at the other. Any good cable brands I should go with?

Also should I look at amps?

Any tips here?

LH Labs hasn't responded to me in more than a day and a half now after reanswering the same questions they'd already asked. Can understand the holidays cutting off support but I want to get a replacement unit shipped out already, sigh. Should have just spent the dough and gone for the schitt combo.

Aldebaran

Guys, I need some help. I need a good pair of headphones for listening to music (mainly classical, prog rock), movies and gaming. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD598, do you think I can do better with a budget of 200€?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also got some comply foam tips for my xiaomi and jesus christ they are actually bearable now. The tips that it came with felt like I was scrapping the inside of my ears with sandpaper with I pulled it out.

jmdajr

Anyone have this?

shopping

Thinking of getting it. My phone connected to the aux in my car sounds like total poop.
CDs on the other hand sound fucking great.

captive

so I wore my Sony's on the bus from the park and ride this morning. I always sit in the back of the bus by the big diesel engine. I came away impressed, I feel like ive been missing out on something by just using plain earbuds on the bus.

HiResDes

Guys, I need some help. I need a good pair of headphones for listening to music (mainly classical, prog rock), movies and gaming. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD598, do you think I can do better with a budget of 200€?
I'd also consider the AKG Q701, DT880, Soundmagic HP200, or check eBay for the Sony MDR ma900. They all do things hear and there better than the 598 IMO, though the 598 are still a good choice.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
you heading in for the EL-8s or the Deckard?

im gonna wait..i dont need them for the house as i have the LCD3s..i want something portable...so i think the Oppo PM3 is more suitable for me..

EL-8. Signed up to be notified when preorders start, but will absolutely wait for impressions, and lots of them. And some soul searching about dropping that much on them. :p

bobohoro

Only had the 595s (which, as far as I'm informed, are not too far apart) for a couple of years and I...

...I tried warning new people about the 598s not being all too exciting or immediately likeable and yet everyone still rushed out and get them for some reason (maybe that off-topic thread). From an audiophile standpoint they're great, open, comfortable and mostly non-coloured sound. However, nothing really stands out about the headphone and I find them to just be a bit boring.

...largely agree with this. They just aren't really all that fun to listen to, in terms of music, but work pretty well for TV/gaming. The are neutral, clinical and cold, have great soundstage but really lack a bodily feel, if you will, like music just doesn't have any impact on you with them and feels anemic.

Update on the ADL H118: They got more comfortable to wear over time and the sound become more balanced (or my hearing adjusted itself to the new cans), still not the most exciting sound, especially for fast and aggressive stuff, but lovely laid back and warm, going back to my Denon D2000 for a few spins actually made me aware just how great the H118 really are. Awesome pair of cans and everyone looking for closed portables in the 200-300$ range should give them a listening chance.

I'd say they need some amping though, at least they scale really well even with my old FiiO stuff, the extra power helps a lot.

yonder

Only had the 595s (which, as far as I'm informed, are not too far apart) for a couple of years and I...

...largely agree with this. They just aren't really all that fun to listen to, in terms of music, but work pretty well for TV/gaming. The are neutral, clinical and cold, have great soundstage but really lack a bodily feel, if you will, like music just doesn't have any impact on you with them and feels anemic.
Just wanted to chime in and say that I had the exact same experience regarding the 595s. When I got a pair of portapros for portable use I was blown away by how much I preferred their warmth and punch. They're way less detailed, but also way cheaper and more enjoyable.The 595s are great for movies and games, but I much prefer a dynamic and "fun" headphone for music. Currently eyeing the X2s.

Top Bottom