• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Mad Max

Check out the Geek Out 1000.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the tip. However it seems these are still quite hard to find here in europe: I only get UK stores that sell it for ~400 euros (including shipping), so that's a bit above my budget.

Looking around I did find the schiit Modi2+Magni2 combo available for around 200. Do you think those are a decent match for high impedance headphones?

HiResDes

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the tip. However it seems these are still quite hard to find here in europe: I only get UK stores that sell it for ~400 euros (including shipping), so that's a bit above my budget.

Looking around I did find the schiit Modi2+Magni2 combo available for around 200. Do you think those are a decent match for high impedance headphones?
I'd suggest something warm like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QJMRY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

terrible

Banned
My Aune T1 is the first model rather than the newer revision but I think they sound more or less the same. I wouldn't call it warm, at least not with the stock tube. It's maybe on the bright side of neutral if I had to describe it. I still recommend it though.

Alright guys, wanted to thank you again for the advise. After doing a lot of research, with the recommendations here as a starting point, I've realized that I do just enough gaming that it wouldn't make sense to do an external DAC/Amp solution (like the M&M) and that I need something internal. After looking through the Asus and Creative options I've decided on the Sound Blaster Z which has adequate music performance with top-in-class gaming performance (sound staging).

I'll grab that and the SoundMagic HP150. It was a solid recommendation from the start and further research shows it excels at sound staging and does "good to very good" at the type of music I enjoy.

chaosaeon

Got a pair of headphones that sound pretty good but if you so much as touch where the male jack is plugged into the amp, the sound changes and gets an echo. To the point where if you stood up while wearing them, the cord will move just enough to start messing it up and you have to adjust it again. Delivery guy left the headphones in the box out on a pile of snow on my doorstep for hours. Don't know if anything went bad on the inside from moisture or the cold but to be safe I should return them right ? They're Samson SR850's, in case it's actually an issue these have or something.

terrible

Banned
Got a pair of headphones that sound pretty good but if you so much as touch where the male jack is plugged into the amp, the sound changes and gets an echo. To the point where if you stood up while wearing them, the cord will move just enough to start messing it up and you have to adjust it again. Delivery guy left the headphones in the box out on a pile of snow on my doorstep for hours. Don't know if anything went bad on the inside from moisture or the cold but to be safe I should return them right ? They're Samson SR850's, in case it's actually an issue these have or something.

Are you using the 1/4 adapter that came with them? If so do you have another one you could try to see if that is the problem?

That's definitely not normal and I don't think it's a common problem with those headphones either.

chaosaeon

Are you using the 1/4 adapter that came with them? If so do you have another one you could try to see if that is the problem?

That's definitely not normal and I don't think it's a common problem with those headphones either.

No I'm not using the adapter. Just the standard jack. It snaps into place like it should but never feels tight. Tapping it left/right/down/up moves the jack slightly and makes all sorts of changes in the sound. But I have tried plugging other headphones in the amp and that doesn't happen with them. Only to the new ones. It's like you plug them in, then have to fiddle around and fish for the right angle to get the full sound, otherwise it sounds slightly tinny and echoes. And if you move the cable in any way, yeah back to fiddling with it again.

terrible

Banned
No I'm not using the adapter. Just the standard jack. It snaps into place like it should but never feels tight. Tapping it left/right/down/up moves the jack slightly and makes all sorts of changes in the sound. But I have tried plugging other headphones in the amp and that doesn't happen with them. Only to the new ones. It's like you plug them in, then have to fiddle around and fish for the right angle to get the full sound, otherwise it sounds slightly tinny and echoes. And if you move the cable in any way, yeah back to fiddling with it again.

Yeah I'd definitely exchange them then.

Tabasco

I waited too long and now the X2 won't be back in stock until the 16th.

Ugh. I can never seem to make up my mind. I feel like I'm just missing out on a whole different world of audio since the HD 555s don't exactly impress me as much as I would want them to.

HiResDes

I waited too long and now the X2 won't be back in stock until the 16th.

Ugh. I can never seem to make up my mind. I feel like I'm just missing out on a whole different world of audio since the HD 555s don't exactly impress me as much as I would want them to.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro are still pretty cheap on Amazon and they have a similar sound signature.

Orgen

There are definitely headphone and in earphone options, but if you don't like the fit of earphones why even consider them. I can't think of all of the headphones with both a mic and remote right now. The RHA 950i is the only one that instantly Springs to mind. The V-MODA XS also has an option to add on a mic and remote I believe. I don't know anything about wireless.

AKG K551, K545, K845 (wireless) all have apple controls and mic. They are big over ear headphones though, so not to everyone's taste. The first two should be within budget, not sure about the third.

Sorry for my late response (and thanks for your answers).

I think I didn't convey my problem very well (English not being my first language and me being a noob in this subject could be the causes) so I'll try to explain my problems better this time and what I want to see if you can help me.

I need 1 set of earbuds (could be headphones) for my Iphone and one set of headphones for my TV (it could be one for both but I don't know any good alternatives).

My IPhone problem: Currently I have the earpods but they're half broken (can't answer calls and the controls don't work) so I need a replacement. I would like earbuds/headphones (no IEM's) that can:

- Answer calls from my phone.
- Control the music (pause, fast-forward... )
- Not bulky (if it's a headphone I'd need something to keep them guarded)
- 30€ (50€ max.)

With these conditions I should buy another earpods as HiResDes suggested but I'd like to know if there's a better alternative than the earpods especially in the sound quality department. Here would fit the RHA 950i suggested by HiResDes, right? I asume they're better than the earpods in sound quality but I would need something to keep them guarded as I mentioned before. Any other suggestion? (if there's no other alternative I'll buy another set of earpods).

My TV "problem": Currently I don't have anything so my only requisites would be:

- Good sound quality
- Wireless
- Comfortable for long sessions (small ears)
- 100 - 150€ Price range.

As I said I was looking at the Sennheiser RS160. I'll take a look at the AKG models (thanks Addnan!) to see if I can test it for the comfort and the sound. I'll use these headphones for gaming and watching BluRay. Do you have other recommendations I could look into?

Hoping to have made my points clearer this time. If you need more info to give a recommendation just ask. And again, sorry if I didn't make myself clear and thanks for everything :D

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The more I listen to the pistons the more impressed I am. They definitely punch far above their weight.

Just get comply foam tips for them because holy hell the tips they come with sucks.

Antiwhippy

Get comply foam tips, or any memory foam tips.

The s400 fits the pistons.

Edit: oh you meant the housing itself? Don't have a problem myself. They are large though.

Get comply foam tips, or any memory foam tips.

The s400 fits the pistons.

Edit: oh you meant the housing itself? Don't have a problem myself. They are large though.

I think it was you earlier - i got the the variety pack (Sport/Isolation/Comfort) in medium and large - are comfort supposed to actually be the most comfortable? i remember you gave a recommendation to me on which to wear earlier..

Mine are the 200 series - for the FAD Heaven C.

I need a pair of wireless hook style sport headphones, like this:

Beats-Electronics-powerbeats2-Wireless-Headphones-black-full.jpg

These look great for my workout needs, but $200 seems pretty steep and I'm assuming it's just for the branding. Anything similar or better out there? The wired ones just aren't working out for me since I move around so much and use the sauna often.

How are these BlueAnt sets? I've only had a BlueAnt ear piece some years back and it was extremely nice, especially for the price I paid.

Edit: These BlueAnt versions look like the will fly right out of my ear the moment I start to move around upon closer inspection.

Antiwhippy

I think it was you earlier - i got the the variety pack (Sport/Isolation/Comfort) in medium and large - are comfort supposed to actually be the most comfortable? i remember you gave a recommendation to me on which to wear earlier..

Mine are the 200 series - for the FAD Heaven C.

I have no idea really. I just use the standard ones.

HiResDes

If you're cool with on-ear for a hundred bucks they're actually a pretty good value nowadays. I thought they just sounded a bit dark, but everyone is loving them.

cheers to all those for the comply recommendations. They havent fallen out of my ears once and they make the FAD Heaven C's actually sound pretty clear and respectable.

I think once i get the PM3s these will be kind of redundant but it still is nice to have as an ok back up set,

max_505

Does anyone here own a Fitear Parterre iem? Any impressions? Looking to buy one but it's a bit hard to audition it unless you live in Japan (since that's where Fitear is based).

Lettuce

I have just got a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 headphones this is really the first time ive ever used headphones with my PC but am noticing the volume to be super loud on the headphone when i plug them in compared to my desktop speakers.

So im guess i need to get an in-line volume control unit, does anyone have any experince with these inline devices and do they effect audio quality at all??. I was looking at these..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008EWP07E/

Nameless

Headphones-GAF hasn't failed me yet...Conundrum 2015: Sennheiser 518s or Creative Aurvana Live's? I'm also open to suggestions at or around those price points. Looking for something for both music and gaming. Would either of those options be be a significant upgrade over the Superlux 668b or 681s?

Any advice is much appreciated.

terrible

Banned
Headphones-GAF hasn't failed me yet...Conundrum 2015: Sennheiser 518s or Creative Aurvana Live's? I'm also open to suggestions at or around those price points. Looking for something for both music and gaming. Would either of those options be be a significant upgrade over the Superlux 668b or 681s?

I'd probably put the Superlux's ahead of the HD518s. I haven't listened to a pair of CALs before so I can't comment on those though.

HiResDes

No not really. Wait until you have over a hundred bucks to spend for a worthwhile upgrade. If you had to have somethign now I'd actually recommend checking out the new Beyerdynamic DTX-350 instead of those.

Anyway, HD600 on sale again - http://www.adorama.com/SEHD600.html...utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

HiResDes

I have just got a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 headphones this is really the first time ive ever used headphones with my PC but am noticing the volume to be super loud on the headphone when i plug them in compared to my desktop speakers.

So im guess i need to get an in-line volume control unit, does anyone have any experince with these inline devices and do they effect audio quality at all??. I was looking at these..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008EWP07E/

I'd wager getting a better soundcard would be the better choice, either that or a cheap DAC/AMP unit like the E10K or Dragonfly

Tekniqs

No not really. Wait until you have over a hundred bucks to spend for a worthwhile upgrade. If you had to have somethign now I'd actually recommend checking out the new Beyerdynamic DTX-350 instead of those.

Anyway, HD600 on sale again - http://www.adorama.com/SEHD600.html...utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

Hey HiRes sorry to keep bugging you. I just dropped the money on the HD600 since they're on sale. I know you suggested the geekout450 amp but I was wondering if you had another suggestion. I'm hoping to find a dac/amp that I can use with my PC as well as straight from my iphone/ipod with an LOD.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Another noob question, sorry. Can anyone recommend a proper 90 degree 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter for connecting my HD598s to a DS4? I wasn't clear the other day when I asked and I don't think the recommendations I got were what I needed.

Nameless

I'd probably put the Superlux's ahead of the HD518s. I haven't listened to a pair of CALs before so I can't comment on those though.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Did some reading on the 350s, they sound great, but would the closed design be a detriment when gaming?

Tabasco

A few questions:

1. The DT-990 Pro on Amazon shows the metal grill on the ear cup, but when I watch reviews of the same model headphones on YouTube, they all have the black plastic grill. Which one am I getting if I buy it on Amazon?

2. Why is the DT-990 Pro a lot cheaper than the DT-880 Premium, especially when the DT-990 Pro is 250 ohm?

3. Which is better for gaming, Sennheiser HD 555, DT-990 Pro, or the DT-880 Premium? I watched a Tek Syndiate video on YouTube and the guy said he uses the DT-880 Premium as his daily driver.

terrible

Banned
A few questions:

1. The DT-990 Pro on Amazon shows the metal grill on the ear cup, but when I watch reviews of the same model headphones on YouTube, they all have the black plastic grill. Which one am I getting if I buy it on Amazon?

2. Why is the DT-990 Pro a lot cheaper than the DT-880 Premium, especially when the DT-990 Pro is 250 ohm?

3. Which is better for gaming, Sennheiser HD 555, DT-990 Pro, or the DT-880 Premium? I watched a Tek Syndiate video on YouTube and the guy said he uses the DT-880 Premium as his daily driver.

1) DT990 Pros are black plastic.

2) Good question. I don't know.

3) I have HD558s, DT990 Pros, and DT880s among others (HD598, HD650, AD700, etc). The 990 pros are my personal favourite headphones for gaming. They are good enough for competitive games and amazing for single player games.They are so damn fun.

Ryman

Might be in the market for a pair of new headphones soon. I am looking for

-Circumaural open-back
-I primarily listen to trance, house and hip-hop
-They will be used for gaming
-It will be for home use
-I have an E10k amp+DAC
-Price range $200-300, but would really prefer to stay away from $300 unless there is a really good reason for doing so

I've done some research and possibilities include DT990, AKG 701Q, but I am in no way wedded to these phones and would prefer some additional suggestions or options.

Tommy DJ

The impedance has nothing to do with the price. The DT990 is much cheaper than the DT880 Premium for two reasons:
- The DT880 is a higher end headphone than the DT990. The DT880 has a very clean and fairly balanced sound that is probably intended for professional use.
- The DT880 Premium you're comparing it to is a more expensive model of the DT880 Pro.

The DT880 Premium is merely an "audiophile" version of the DT880 Pro. With the DT880 Premium, you get:
- a straight cable instead of a coiled cable
- a headband that clamps less
- *possibly* better driver matching
- the additional option of a 32 ohm model (absolutely do not get) for mobile use and a 600 ohm model for people who good amplifiers that have high output impedance

bedlamite

Just got a pair of HD-650s. Absolutely glorious, but I wonder if my old first-gen Matrix M-Stage can do justice to these beauties.

Time to go tube amp hunting!

Front green audio port on my PC doesn't work no more, gotta use the one in the back by cord is too short. Any suggestions on extension cords for these Noontec Zoros Im using on PC?

HiResDes

The pro version features a tighter clamp than the premium version with most of the differences between the two headphones coming mostly from the different fit and driver placement on the ears.

HiResDes

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Did some reading on the 350s, they sound great, but would the closed design be a detriment when gaming?
If you want something that's just great for gaming check out the Takstar TS671, super wide soundstage and accuracy, though a bit bass light for music.

Tommy DJ

The pro version features a tighter clamp than the premium version with most of the differences between the two headphones coming mostly from the different fit and driver placement on the ears.

I've never heard or experienced this before. The DT880 Pro and Premium 250 ohms sound and feel pretty much the same except the Premiums have less initial clamping force. To be fair I was listening to them at a professional audio store but they really didn't seem any different.

Would you happen to have a source on this? I can't find anything about it. Not saying you're wrong but it'd be interesting to see what the physical differences are.

HiResDes

I think we're in agreement. The drivers are the same, but because of the tighter fit on the Pros the signature sounds slightly bassier and the soundstage width is ever so slightly reduced, but it could be a perception thing.

Plugged my NAD VISO HP50s into my DS4 to watch some Netflix while my Sony Golds recharge and they sound great, better than the Golds over wireless I think at first blush, had never tried it before. The only problem is that the volume control is hidden in the system settings menu.

HiResDes

The DT-990 Pro has a coiled cable?

That's a bit of a turn off for me. I have no idea why they went with that.

This is the most accurate article on the differences between all the models - http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more
Coiled cables are pretty damn durable, which is why people in professional audio careers might prefer the "Pro" version.
Hey HiRes sorry to keep bugging you. I just dropped the money on the HD600 since they're on sale. I know you suggested the geekout450 amp but I was wondering if you had another suggestion. I'm hoping to find a dac/amp that I can use with my PC as well as straight from my iphone/ipod with an LOD.

If you're gonna be using them on the go I might suggest a different altogether honestly, but it seems like the E17 is indeed your best bet, unless you wanna drop extra on something like the C5D

HiResDes

Headphone Hype Alert:
Don Scorpio Dolphin
d_scorpio_dolphin-16_zpsae8dc7e9.jpg
d_scorpio_dolphin-22_zps636761e2.jpg
d_scorpio_dolphin-15_zps2bd21b9e.jpg

• Diffierent from most on-ear headphones, with its pivoting frame structure, elastic fabric and pliable memory stuffing, the whole headphone can be folded into astonishingly small sapce, stored in the quality waterproof carrying case that comes with the headphone. It is space-saving, conveient and easily portable, which keeps music in your company
  • Adopts the quality protein PU fabric and pliable memory stuffing, which greatly lower the weight on your ears
  • Its extension-type metal frame can be adjusted to the most comfortable position
  • Its standard 3.5mm plug can be applied to iOS, Android and Windows system
  • Its remote control with Mic enables free transition between music and phone call
  • iPod, iPhone & iPad work with these features: answer call, track forward/backward, play/pause
  • Android & Windows phone work s with these features: on-cable mic for handsfree, anwer phone calling, music play/pause

Specification:
  • Brand: DON SCORPIO
  • Drive units: 40mm, dome type (CCAW Voice Coil)
  • Impedance: 17 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 117dB
  • Frequency response: 13-30000Hz
  • Frequency range: 10Hz to 20kHz
  • Cable length: 120cm inline remote & microphone cable
  • Plug: Gold-plated L-shaped stereo mini plug

Headfi Thread
ForumXDA Review
Where the hype began

Tekniqs

This is the most accurate article on the differences between all the models - http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more
Coiled cables are pretty damn durable, which is why people in professional audio careers might prefer the "Pro" version.

If you're gonna be using them on the go I might suggest a different altogether honestly, but it seems like the E17 is indeed your best bet, unless you wanna drop extra on something like the C5D

ahh well they won't be "on the go" like having them on while I walk around the city or ride a train/bus. On the go like sometimes I might be at a hotel without my macbook so the source will be my iphone/ipod.

ya right now it's the e17 or the geekout 450

Been three days since LH Labs support said they were going to escalate my support request for a potential Geek 1000 replacement. Realize it's a small company but that seems pretty unacceptable given the days between support replies. Originally opened the ticket on the 29th!

Suppose I deserve it for cheaping out anyway, lol.

Top Bottom