• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Tekniqs

Awesome impressions and picks, this thread was pretty much just the same five or six regulars posting and I'm so happy to see it get some new life. I better see some Dolphin impressions too. Let's see if the headfi hype machine is real this time.

they don't need any type of amping right? Or will I have to dust off this mini3 amp that I have?

HiResDes

Definitely don't need any amping, impedance is 17 Ohm and looks like fairly high sensitivity.

Interesting tidbit about the Sony MDR1 is that there is actually a revision out that sells for more that supposedly sounds a bit different.

Tommy DJ

Not sure who your asking, but if your asking me about the Shure's, I got them for $500.

If you're getting a headphone amp and DAC for those headphones, I'd...probably return them (somehow) and get something better for $500.

I don't want to be rude but if we're talking about objective performance, they're really horrible. They have crazy distortion that is through the roof.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Breaking the MDR1's in. They have been on my head for ~6 hours now without a hint of discomfort. This really surprises me since I wear glasses and expected any over-ear to need some rest period.

The sound keeps getting better and better as well.

max_505

The Parterre has stellar build quality since all of the FitEars are hand made out of layers of acrylic in Suyama's lab by extremely competent technicians. There's actually this huge wait list in Japan for any of the FitEars simply cause they can't keep up with demand and they have trouble hiring techs that meet their standard. Although I believe that they are transitioning to 3D printing now which should eventually help with availability

The signature of the Parterre is a definite U shape to my ears. It's not my kind of sig personally, as I find there's simply too much bass and I find it's intrusive. It's usually okay until you hit something that focuses on bass such as EDM or something and then it just feels overbearing. The bass has very good extension and pretty good control, but it has a mildly lengthy decay and feels slow and lacks texture to me coming from stuff like the UERM. The treble extension is pretty good, and the mids feel a touch recessed due to the U shape. The upper mid/treble area felt pretty good to me when I demoed them. Not harsh, but just the right amount of aggression and presence.

I'd pass on the ASG-2 personally. It does sound similar to the 334, but the 334 is overall more transparent and has noticeably better imaging. I think the thing that impressed me the most about the 334 was its imaging. It was one of the few IEMs I'd ever heard where it felt like the stage actually possessed this chameleonic quality where it felt like its dimensions and shape actually changed depending upon the recording. It was very holographic in that sense. The midrange felt very transparent as well, but I wasn't a fan of its limited treble extension and sluggish bass. The G-2 on the other hand, has too much mid bass, and the treble has this sort of spitty quality to it due to a dip in the lower treble and a spike at around 8-10 kHz. The ASG-2.5 is overall much better sounding to me.

...Which brings me to the ASG 1 Plus. This is easily the best ASG phone that AS has put out IMO. The signature is significantly more neutral than its forebears, so everything from the bass to the mids to the treble feel quite a bit smoother and refined. It lacks the overall rawness of the Rockets which I really liked though.

I posted some impressions on it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745498/aur...-information-and-discussions/30#post_11197280

Now that I've had a few days with it, none of my opinions on the Plus have changed since then, especially in regard to the upper mid/lower treble dip which is the sole area I have a beef with. I felt like this was executed better on the Rockets which have overall better linearity as a result. This results in some tonal issues with stuff like guitars and singers whose range is in the upper registers. It sort of becomes a pick and choose scenario as a result. I'm not sure that the majority of listeners would even notice this though since it really depends on what sort of gear you're coming from, and also because the industry at large seems to favor a signature with a dip at 4-5 kHz anyway.

Still, given my choice between the two, and my overall taste, I'd still pick the 1 Plus over the Parterre any day. It's also quite a bit cheaper at $396 if you order through Springtree. If you're ever in Japan though, see if you can demo a pair of the FitEars at some place like E-Earphone or Fujiya

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply! Got me a bit curious at the ASG 1 Plus, so I hopefully I can find a place to audition it. I don't have any EDM track on my DAP, since I focus mainly on Jazz and Vocal Jazz, so the bass probably won't be a problem if I ever buy a Parterre.

Fox1304

Finally caved in and bought the Bose QC20 ...
I already had a noise canceling headset ( Logitech UE6000 ), but my god as expected Bose are on a whole other dimension with their noise canceling technology. They're so far ahead it's not even funny.
I've bought them for using at work and on train/plane, since I have better sounding devices for home, and they fit the bill perfectly.
Excellent build quality, sound is very good ( even if for the asking price one can buy much better sounding in-ear ), comfort is incredible. But the noise canceling system gives it an incredible value. The best way to describe the feeling would be that you feel as if you were under the water on a swimming pool. Sound is REALLY canceled, and the few you can hear feels like it's so far away and muted.
I work in a very noisy environment and couldn't believe how the NC cut all conversations, sounds, and such. The only people I'm hearing are those on the desks immediately next to mine, and I only hear them faintly. And when playing music, everything vanishes.
The "aware" mode works really well too, only would have liked it to pause music at the same time. But it works really well to prevent taking off the headset when needing to talk to co-workers and such.
One downside I found is that even if they work without NC ( so without battery needed ), the sound signature and quality are much less pleasant.
Really loving it so far. Bottom line for me is to not buy those for the sound quality ( it's really good but same quality could be acquired for half money I think more or less ), but for the combination of comfort, incredible noise canceling, and still very good sound.

darkwing

Breaking the MDR1's in. They have been on my head for ~6 hours now without a hint of discomfort. This really surprises me since I wear glasses and expected any over-ear to need some rest period.

The sound keeps getting better and better as well.

yup, it is a fun headphone, i have other more analytical headphones but this is the most 'fun' of them all

also so comfy , I've slept wearing them once

yonder

I pulled the trigger on a pair of X2s and got them today and I'm pretty damn blown away. The sound is ENORMOUS, very detailed as well as warm-ish and engaging. The bass feels satisfying and is just right to my taste. The only thing that isn't perfect to my ears is that the treble is ever so slightly harsh and can come off as shrill every now and then. Some people might feel it as sparkle, but to me it sometimes comes off as a bit thin. Maybe I'm just sensitive to treble? That might change after I get used to it, but for now I'm very pleased. Would love to compare it to the X1s to see how their treble strikes me, but they're hard to find around here (Sweden).

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply! Got me a bit curious at the ASG 1 Plus, so I hopefully I can find a place to audition it. I don't have any EDM track on my DAP, since I focus mainly on Jazz and Vocal Jazz, so the bass probably won't be a problem if I ever buy a Parterre.

OH, if you're planning on listening to jazz/vocal jazz, I'd skip the Parterre and the 1 Plus and seek out the JVC FX850 and applying this simple mod:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/405#post_11162329

You don't have to apply James' back vent mod, though that will attenuate the bass even further resulting in an even more spacious and even sound. I'm not a fan of the FX850 in its stock form as I find the bass to be ginormous, but once modded, it's insanely good. INSANELY GOOD. It's far and away the best phone I've ever heard for jazz and classical, the instrumental timbre is just spot on, and just crushes most other phones at any price range. This would be my pick for a jazz phone. The used market price for it is about $250 these days. You can get a new one if you're in Japan for about $280-300.

If you don't want to apply the mod for whatever reason, I'd recommend checking out one of the Final Audio Design Heaven phones, either the Heaven V or the Heaven VIII. Both will be well within your $700 limit. I don't find their timbre to be as precise as the FX850, but there's this tonally saturated, dreamy sound to the Heaven series that really brings out the emotion in performances, especially in things like solo piano. Out of all the balanced armature style phones, they're the ones that are most evocative of dynamic drivers.

Tommy DJ

Would love to compare it to the X1s to see how their treble strikes me, but they're hard to find around here (Sweden).

You probably won't find a difference if you're having this issue with the X2. I found the treble with the X1 a bit troublesome and there has been a few reports suggesting this is still a minor issue in the X2. Perhaps its a driver quirk, probably in the same way it is with Beyerdynamic's DT880 series.

That's why I still prefer the Sennheiser HD600 series even if the bass is totally flaccid.

HiResDes

I pulled the trigger on a pair of X2s and got them today and I'm pretty damn blown away. The sound is ENORMOUS, very detailed as well as warm-ish and engaging. The bass feels satisfying and is just right to my taste. The only thing that isn't perfect to my ears is that the treble is ever so slightly harsh and can come off as shrill every now and then. Some people might feel it as sparkle, but to me it sometimes comes off as a bit thin. Maybe I'm just sensitive to treble? That might change after I get used to it, but for now I'm very pleased. Would love to compare it to the X1s to see how their treble strikes me, but they're hard to find around here (Sweden).
The treble on the X1 is supposedly less smooth, though I've never found them to be sibilant in any regard. But for some reason I think I'm only sensitive to sibilance when listening to closed headphones. The M50 sounds peaky to me and the Sony MDR-V6 drives me crazy on some tracks. The DT880s sound amazing to me though, very extended treble, but not peaky.

yonder

You probably won't find a difference if you're having this issue with the X2. I found the treble with the X1 a bit troublesome and there has been a few reports suggesting this is still a minor issue in the X2. Perhaps its a driver quirk, probably in the same way it is with Beyerdynamic's DT880 series.

That's why I still prefer the Sennheiser HD600 series even if the bass is totally flaccid.

The treble on the X1 is supposedly less smooth, though I've never found them to be sibilant in any regard. But for some reason I think I'm only sensitive to sibilance when listening to closed headphones. The M50 sounds peaky to me and the Sony MDR-V6 drives me crazy on some tracks. The DT880s sound amazing to me though, very extended treble, but not peaky.
Good to know, thanks. Still enjoying the hell out of the X2, though. They're incredibly absorbing and addictive. Had them on for almost 5 hours now, too, and they're very comfortable to boot.

max_505

OH, if you're planning on listening to jazz/vocal jazz, I'd skip the Parterre and the 1 Plus and seek out the JVC FX850 and applying this simple mod:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/405#post_11162329

You don't have to apply James' back vent mod, though that will attenuate the bass even further resulting in an even more spacious and even sound. I'm not a fan of the FX850 in its stock form as I find the bass to be ginormous, but once modded, it's insanely good. INSANELY GOOD. It's far and away the best phone I've ever heard for jazz and classical, the instrumental timbre is just spot on, and just crushes most other phones at any price range. This would be my pick for a jazz phone. The used market price for it is about $250 these days. You can get a new one if you're in Japan for about $280-300.

If you don't want to apply the mod for whatever reason, I'd recommend checking out one of the Final Audio Design Heaven phones, either the Heaven V or the Heaven VIII. Both will be well within your $700 limit. I don't find their timbre to be as precise as the FX850, but there's this tonally saturated, dreamy sound to the Heaven series that really brings out the emotion in performances, especially in things like solo piano. Out of all the balanced armature style phones, they're the ones that are most evocative of dynamic drivers.

I'm in luck, someone's selling their Heaven VIII here. I'll audition his pair first and see if I like it. Might just go for that or FX850 since it's more cheaper and I can audition it here. Still thinking about modding it since I haven't modded any of my gears, but it looks simple and easy to do. Might as well try it since it won't hurt. Thank you very much for the suggestions :)

HiResDes

Yeah, maybe (probably) the K612s will have a better soundstage but the 990 Pros are just way too fun for gaming. You can practically feel explosions in games while still remaining detailed.
612s are one of the very best headphones in the range for acoustic music though, but movies and games definitely gonna be better on the DT 990

yonder

I've had my X2s for 24 hours now, and even though I find them amazing in almost every aspect the somewhat harsh treble is really getting to me :( Most of what I listen to sounds incredible, but some stuff is definitely fatiguing, like I can feel the treble as an uncomfortable tension in my ear. I'm used to listening to the somewhat veiled portapros, and while the sound of the X2 is on a completely different level, I can't help but miss the more "comfortable" sound of the portapros a bit. Now I know the treble on the X1s is supposed to be somewhat artificial, but if it's smoother and more laid-back than on the X2, it might be worth it to give them a shot instead. Appreciate any feedback y'all have.

HiResDes

It's more laid back on the X2 supposedly not vice versa. Porta pros are a bit bright too man, so I can't get my head around the nature of your ears. Maybe the HD 650 would be better or the HE300.

yonder

It's more laid back on the X2 supposedly not vice versa. Porta pros are a bit bright too man, so I can't get my head around the nature of your ears. Maybe the HD 650 would be better or the HE300.
Shit, really? Guess I can ignore the X1 then. And yeah, my hearing is pretty weird: I'm really sensitive to noise and especially high-pitched noise in general (I always want to turn the TV down when watching with other people). I usually pick up on small stuff in the environment that others miss, but at the same time I can have a hard time hearing people in conversation if there's a lot of background noise like in a bar. Maybe I should get my ears checked out or something. Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions.

HiResDes

Friend tried to buy them after seeing they were available in lots of MA stores. Checkout failed (they could be added to cart fine), saying they were not available. Looks like the web store may have inventory wrong.
Doesn't seem like that great of a deal considering how cheap the 598s have been.

Monster Hunter and a few other things has me looking for a mic for my Philips Fidelio X1s. The main two I've heard are good are the ModMic and the V-Moda. They seem to have very different designs (attaching to the side of your headphones vs. the mic being right on the cord). I'm researching them now, but if any of you have tried either (or both!) of these, are there any opinions or things worth noting?

Anyone have experience with the RHA 750i? Looking to upgrade my train/walking pair of buds, from the Earpods, as I want something with a better seal. My main concern really is cable noise.

Tommy DJ

The problem with the treble on the X1/X2 is that there's a weird quality to it that just isn't nice at all for some people. That's why I noted that its probably a driver issue akin to the DT880 where some people, like myself, find the treble cold even when EQed down.

HiResDes

I've done tests and my ears admittedly aren't that sensitive to treble. I also can't hear anything beyond the 19kHz range, which is why I can't tell the difference between V0 and FLAC. Some people might use that to put down my opinions in the future, but that's the truth.

Courage

Des, I'm returning my 598s for the reasons I stated in the other thread. What are some recommendations for hip-hop/electronic with good bass at around 150-200?

HiResDes

I agree if you want more open headphones. Another good open headphone with an adequate bass response hip-hop would be the HE-400, but they cost forty bucks more. But I'd just go with the DT990 Pro, as the HE-400 are kind of heavy on the head.

TheBear

If money was no object, what is the absolute most "comfortable" set of headphones , canalphones, etc. on the market? Like you could wear them all day and not notice on your head or in your ears.

Courage

I agree if you want more open headphones. Another good open headphone with an adequate bass response hip-hop would be the HE-400, but they cost forty bucks more. But I'd just go with the DT990 Pro, as the HE-400 are kind of heavy on the head.

Thanks dude, read into them a bit and they seem perfect. Gonna probably get them.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Thanks dude, read into them a bit and they seem perfect. Gonna probably get them.

I've had the HE-400s for two years now and they're just incredible. For $240 they're an absolute steal. Even at $400 they were arguably the best in their price range, but at almost half that price, it'd be hard not to recommend them.
Comfort is probably the one downside. They are pretty heavy and the headband isn't really padded at all. However, once you get used to them they really aren't uncomfortable until you wear them for over three hours or so. Usually I don't even remember they're on my head.
But the sound is just insane. Especially since you're looking for headphones for electronic music, these are a no-brainer. I don't even care for electronic, but sometimes I listen to it just because it sounds so perfect on these headphones. Just the most crisp, precise, perfect sounds. It's hard to describe, really.
They're an excellent all-rounder too, though.
I could really go on about them for a while, but I won't. In conclusion, I'd definitely recommend them.

Ryman

I've had the HE-400s for two years now and they're just incredible. For $240 they're an absolute steal. Even at $400 they were arguably the best in their price range, but at almost half that price, it'd be hard not to recommend them.
Comfort is probably the one downside. They are pretty heavy and the headband isn't really padded at all. However, once you get used to them they really aren't uncomfortable until you wear them for over three hours or so. Usually I don't even remember they're on my head.
But the sound is just insane. Especially since you're looking for headphones for electronic music, these are a no-brainer. I don't even care for electronic, but sometimes I listen to it just because it sounds so perfect on these headphones. Just the most crisp, precise, perfect sounds. It's hard to describe, really.
They're an excellent all-rounder too, though.
I could really go on about them for a while, but I won't. In conclusion, I'd definitely recommend them.

I'm glad to hear this. Since I listen to a lot of trance, house and hip-hop these seem right up my alley. I am very tempted to purchase the HE-400s.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm glad to hear this. I am very tempted to purchase the HE-400s.

Do it.

Oh, also, if you get the HE-400s, you HAVE to buy the replacement velour earpads. Not only do they drastically increase their comfort, but they MASSIVELY improve the sound. I was expecting the improvement (I had read the velour improved the sound a bit, but I had bought them for comfort) to be unnoticeable, but it was night and day. I don't have the discerning ears like some headphone fanatics do, but I noticed immediately that my HE-400s were sounding significantly better when I put the velour earpads on.

Edit: It looks like these are no longer sold... These look like they're third party ones, but they look exactly like my Hifiman ones.

Tabasco

I'm worried about the clamping force and the high treble on the DT-990 Pro more than anything else about it.

I suppose I should just stick with my HD 555, since making a new headphone purchase makes me feel like I'm playing the lottery.

Tommy DJ

Use an equalizer if that's a problem. I have never understood why consumer audio users are so afraid to use the equalizer. If the headphone drivers and enclosure are properly implemented (Beyerdynamic DT880 + DT990 are one of the few that are!), equalization works very well.

NotBacon

I'm glad to hear this. Since I listen to a lot of trance, house and hip-hop these seem right up my alley. I am very tempted to purchase the HE-400s.

Do it. They are pure sex.
Crispy clear sound, large soundstage, and crazy good bass for an open headphone.

Oh, also, if you get the HE-400s, you HAVE to buy the replacement velour earpads. Not only do they drastically increase their comfort, but they MASSIVELY improve the sound.

In what way do they improve the sound? I already thought they sounded perfect!

Servbot24

Banned
The HE 400 are definitely tempting at that price. I listen to a lot of ambient, classical, minimal techno and avant grade stuff (Actress, Sean McCann, Oval, Ryoji Ikeda, Tim Hecker etc). Bass isn't hugely important to me. Would those still be appropriate? I also listen to a lot of pop, and a little metal, rap and jazz. I don't really listen to much dubstep or dance-centric music.

If I get them I'll probably get the Schiit stack as well.

Top Bottom