• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

My Garage Polaris came in and I have to go to work in 5 minutes but I'll just say I'm so happy that I can finally get volume through my HE-560s, so so excited to get off work in 12 hours!

Edit: Seems like it's hard to make Pixie's Doolittle loud without blowing the sound out though. Why did they mix the album at such a low volume compared to most?

andylsun

There just arrived.

Took a gamble on an ebay auction for a SRD-6/SB with unnamed headphones. There was a return policy so if they didn't work I could ship them back.

They are up and running and I'm listening to The Trinity Sessions - too early for detailed comparisons or critical listening, but so far they hold their own with my HD-595's. They are different and perhaps a bit more silky and smooth.

Mekt0mEl.jpg

mr stroke

Yes. with the HD800s the bass/drums are noticeably punchier. Sound is less bright and sparkly at the top end (which has made it pair much better with the HA-1 because it was way too bright earlier) and slightly warmer. It's a nicer sound. I have put in about 2 hours of listening and about 24 hours of burn in.

with the LCD3s i only listened to them for about 20 mins straight out of the box and i noticed that the drums/bass felt a bit fuller but i didnt spend much time with them.

But let me guess, you and about 3-4 other people think im lying and making this up in my head and couldnt not tell any difference with the stock cable am i right? Which is the reason i dont write impressions anymore on this forum - everyone jumps on, even though they have not heard the cable or the headphones i am using for the most part.

Whoa calm down brah

I genuinely wanted to know if there was an audible difference in the cables LOL

I have zero problem with people spending loads of cash on frivolous high end stuff(I probably have 10k+ in current PC parts, GPU's and monitors)

No need to get salty though, this thread is awesome cause it encompasses everyone from cheap IEM's & gaming cans to super high end cables & 5k amps :)

Then you are going to be doubly pissed when you see the new AMP/DAC i just ordered and new headphones im picking up in March ;)

ill let you know how the psychoacoustics sound. x

I didn't realize that people actually harassed you about the expensive equipment, just expensive digital cables. Sucks if people think that actual DACs and AMPs don't offer different/better sounds between them.

I think live and let live is a good philosophy to have regarding these things. If people hear a difference, than that's cool with me. But it's really the last thing anyone should fiddle with.

Realtalk here: it's sometimes quite difficult to not yell at you because some decisions just make no sense to me. I had to stop myself from swearing at you when you said you wanted to pair some $1,500 KEF bookshelves with some Devialet amp/DAC combo that ate into most of your $10,000 budget. I really hope you aren't still considering that because it's actually a really bad thing to do for so many reasons.

I know audiophile societies in Melbourne would probably greatly advise against doing such a thing. They would look at you as if you were insane pairing some decent pair of bookshelves with some all-in-one solution that is three times the price of the actual speaker.

Can you point out those so many reasons?

I'm being serious, cause I already have those KEF LS50 in white :p and I'm in love with the Devialet. Most probably I'll pull the trigger in June more or less. Except... if somebody gives me a very good reason to not to (besides the "it's too much money!!!").

Bloodember

I didn't realize that people actually harassed you about the expensive equipment, just expensive digital cables. Sucks if people think that actual DACs and AMPs don't offer different/better sounds between them.
Headphone cables are analog, what do you think a DAC is for? Different cables should make a difference in the sound.

Jzero

Headphone cables are analog, what do you think a DAC is for? Different cables should make a difference in the sound.
My ears are so bad i can't hear a major difference between my DAC and the soundcard (besides a bit of noise). There would be no way that I would hear a difference with cables.

Either my modi 1 was broken or my ears are as bad as I expect. I just upgraded to the Modi 2 Uber though, let's see if toslink makes any difference with my PC.

Tommy DJ

Can you point out those so many reasons?

I'm being serious, cause I already have those KEF LS50 in white :p and I'm in love with the Devialet. Most probably I'll pull the trigger in June more or less. Except... if somebody gives me a very good reason to not to (besides the "it's too much money!!!").

The KEF LS50 are legitimately good so no problem there. The problem is the Devialet amplfiier/DAC all in one and what it represents.

I haven't seen or heard it so I can't say if it's good or bad but reports on some forums suggest it's somewhat wimpy and thin. I find that claim believable since most European audiophile integrated amps don't really sound that great - mainly talking about British stuff from Cyrus, Arcam, Rega here. That's just my opinion and you might disagree and it's also very possible that the Devialet is great.

But that is perhaps subjective. The objective fact is that is bloody expensive and worth many times more than the actual hardware making noise.

I'm not a huge fan of all-in-one DAC/amp solutions as they're normally more expensive for no real benefit other than space. If the DAC or amp is bad, you can't do anything but get new hardware...but if you're going to do that, why don't you just get a better pair of seperates in the first place?

A reason he provided for getting that amp was that it has a preset or something along those lines for those KEF speakers. To me that sounds like DSP or something along those lines.

If you're messing with DSP, learning and doing it yourself will generate much better results as it can assist in room EQ and whatnot. That's why I'm fond of good professional power amps like some models from Crest Audio and Bryston that let the speakers do all of the work.

But ease of use is understandable. What I don't understand is that if you're getting that amp specifically for those KEF speakers because they work better, why not just get better speakers? I know I'm repeating myself but the KEF speakers aren't Sennheiser HD800s where they are the best un the world. There are many, many speakers better and more expensive than it.

There's also a problem with regards to current trends in speaker technology. Active speakers with proper bi-amplification, DSP per driver, and active crossovers demolish passive crossover speakers in terms of fidelity any day of the week.

$10,000 can get you almost anything active or passive. Yet 2/3 of that money is going into the amp, DAC, and cables. Not the actual speakers. This makes no sense to me.

I really have little problems with people spending lots on sound systems. But when they do things like this then encourage more people to do similar things, I get a little fustrated.

Jzero

BTW what do you guys choose under Windows advanced sound settings? I've heard to choose the highest 24 bit studio quality setting while some say to use 24 bit 44k

Not the headphone cables. Back when people were giving him the business about his $100+ usb cable. Sorry I wasn't more clear when I said digital.

Yeah you mean the cable I got as a gift for free right? The one I clearly stated was a gift and that I didn't notice any sound difference at all, you mean that one? Yeah sure I'll tell the person who gave it to me to return it because "Tommy DJ" said that was crap and the amp/dac I'm getting is crap, even though the magazines and reviews say it's really good...

Yeah you mean the cable I got as a gift for free right? The one I clearly stated was a gift and that I didn't notice any sound difference at all, you mean that one? Yeah sure I'll tell the person who gave it to me to return it because "Tommy DJ" said that was crap and the amp/dac I'm getting is crap, even though the magazines and reviews say it's really good...

Got me if that is the one, chum. Just thought that that was the only major thing people hassled you hard about. I only discovered this thread semi recently when you linked it from some other thread that people were asking headphone questions in. Subbed the thread so that I could see what people are talking about and ask for advice for upgrades when I replace my DT880 and NFB-12 sometime later. So really don't know the ins and outs of what the drama is, that's why I asked.

Tommy DJ

With the USB thing, I was half joking that you should have sold it.

With the amp and DAC, I said the quality was subjective. I didn't say that the amp and DAC were objectively shit but rather some forum users didn't seem impressed by them in the same way that professional reviewers and forum users disagree on the performance of Arcam products. I even mention that I've never heard it so I can't say if it actually sounds good or not.

It's like that dude who argued with me that output impedance didn't matter with headphones. He saw something he didn't agree with, he immediately saw red and refused to listen to anything.

The quality of the amp is irrelevant here. If you actually read what I wrote, I specifically mention that the budget allocation is the problem.

Like if you want to spend 2/3 of your budget on amp, DAC, cables then you can definitely do that. You'll end up with a worse system than a system half that price (or even lower if we consider offerings from Adam and Genelec). You're also completely ignoring all recent advances in loudspeaker technology in the process by choosing that route.

Re: reviews. I don't care about reviews considering most of them advertise the very product they're reviewing. Good reason to not buy blind.

pj

Banned
I blew out another pair of IEMs after less than a year.

Looking for recommendations for something $100 or less (preferably $50 or less, since nothing lasts more than 10 months for me) that's basically neutral, definitely not sibilant, and well built would be a plus.

NotBacon

I think he's referring to the one you didn't get as a gift. The $168 Audioquest Carbon USB cable that you purchased.

HiResDes

Looking for recommendations for something $100 or less (preferably $50 or less, since nothing lasts more than 10 months for me) that's basically neutral, definitely not sibilant, and well built would be a plus.

What did you have last time?

Ludovico

These are on sale at Amazon. Are these decent heaphones for the price? I've been looking at them for awhile now

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVLUR86/?tag=neogaf0e-20

these are also on sale:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3QD94O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also looking at the M50x.
Would these be a significant upgrade from some V-MODA Crossfade M-80's?
I don't really NEED a new set, but missing the Black Friday deal on the Sennheiser's has had me kicking myself ever since.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I just tested a pair of B&W P5 and damn they sounded great, they were comfy too, the only problem is that €300 is way too much right now :(
There was a pair of Sony cans that I liked (MDR-10R if I recall correctly) which were about half, would those be a good buy?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Easy. Ostry KC06.

T-Matt

Some thoughts on a couple headphones I have listened to for the last month or so.

V-Moda m80. I kinda bought this headphone on a whim based on the sale price and solid impressions. I am very glad I did. It is not the sound signature I thought I would enjoy but I love the presentation of sound, especially in regard to the mids. I actually have found I love them for hip-hop despite not being a bass heavy headphone which is what I would gravitate to usually for the genre. Build quality and styling are really good too.

Philips X1. I found a new love of jazz with these headphones. So warm, spacial and engaging. They really are good for any type of music you throw at them. Watching movies has been a great experience; The sound stage and bass are delightful for movies, games and television shows. I absolutely love them. Very comfortable.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, but I have to be honest, most of what you wrote is 100% subjective (nothing wrong with that) and I disagree with your statements, in different degrees. I'll just leave it at that.

I agree with you about cables, though. IMHO, expending anything more than Monoprice level, is utter stupidity or ignorance, but then again... I think people has the right to spend their money in whatever they want, so unlike others here, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Regards.

More on topic...

Today in the morning I received the Koss PRO/4AA, from Amazon.

koss-pro4aa.jpg

I haven't tried them yet, but for now, my preliminary impressions:

- Lovely retro look.
- They are heavy.
- The cable looks fragile.
- They feel comfortable.

NotBacon

Do you have the Output Resistance jumpers in med or low on the sides? All of this easy customization is making my head hurt, neat though.

My settings:
- No attenuation
- Medium bandwidth
- Low gain
- Low output resistance (medium sometimes for a slightly more distorted/tube-like sound)

pj

Banned
What did you have last time?

I've had and killed Ortofon eQ-5, VSonic GR-07 (x2), Panasonic HJE900, Etymotic something or other, as well as some cheaper stuff. The latest death was my second GR-07 which held out for almost 10 months, a new record. This time it's just the plug, which I intend to replace at some point, but in the meantime I need something to drown out the screeches of the subway. Both mechanical and human.

Easy. Ostry KC06.

I will check those out.

I was also considering HiFiMan RE-400, which I have heard a lot about for a while

K.Jack

I will check those out.

I was also considering HiFiMan RE-400, which I have heard a lot about for a while

The RE-400 is built like crap. Trust me, I'e had it for a while, and it falls apart shortly after repair. Worst built IEM ever.

My best advice is to avoid all Hifiman IEMs. I've owned most of them, and they all suck as far as build goes.

pj

Banned
The RE-400 is built like crap. Trust me, I'e had it for a while, and it falls apart shortly after repair. Worst built IEM ever.

My best advice is to avoid all Hifiman IEMs. I've owned most of them, and they all suck as far as build goes.

They're all built like crap in my experience. I'm not bear gryllsing around with these things but they all die. I feel like a 8 year old with a series of cutely named, gone-too-soon, hamsters.

How are the KC06 on sound isolation? That's a fairly high priority for me and the internet seems to indicate they are weak on that front.

Also are the KC06A worth an extra $10?

Jzero

They're all built like crap in my experience. I'm not bear gryllsing around with these things but they all die. I feel like a 8 year old with a series of cutely named, gone-too-soon, hamsters.

How are the KC06 on sound isolation? That's a fairly high priority for me and the internet seems to indicate they are weak on that front.

They just have a different design. The design on mine scratched off after a few months though so just get the 10 cheaper ones. I also crazy glued the earhooks on since they didn't want to stay on when i put them in my pocket. The sound is fantastic though. Also, they go in your ear so you will get decent isolation, i almost got hit by a golf cart because i didn't hear it.

K.Jack

Nah the KC06A is the inferior of the two, sonically.

Sound isolation and fit definitely isn't the best with the KC06 for sure. Honestly if you go thru phones like that, it may be worth it to throw down for a pair of aurisonics rockets and be done with it. It's got the neutral sig you desire, high isolation and carries a 5 year/lifetime warranty and is built to military spec

BurningNad

Hey guys. I need some help, I've done some reading up but there's some things I just am not confident about making a decision on my own.

I need a pair of headphones for gaming. I'm using a pair of Sony Gold headphones plugged into the 3.5mm jack. I currently have a Blue Snowball for my mic, which I'd like to keep using. I'm no audiophile, so I'd prefer not to spend hundreds of dollars on the headphones.

Couple questions, though. Is it possible to hear myself speaking though a normal pair of headphones? As in, what my mic is picking up. I know most gaming headsets have that built in, but it doesn't work with my current set up (and the "listen to this device" option is pretty laggy). Is that what a mix amp is for? I'm pretty ignorant to this sort of stuff.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

K.Jack

What, that's not entirely true. The KC06A is more consumer tuned, meaning it features a slightly more V-shaped sound signature. I agree with DRM though.

In retuning it, the KC06A lost the amount of detail and layering that makes the KC06 so freaking incredible.

Sound isolation and fit definitely isn't the best with the KC06 for sure. Honestly if you go thru phones like that, it may be worth it to throw down for a pair of aurisonics rockets and be done with it. It's got the neutral sig you desire, high isolation and carries a 5 year/lifetime warranty and is built to military spec

Compare it to the KC06 for me.

I received my AKG K7XXs from Massdrop last night. I did a quick unboxing and listen last night but spent more time with them today. The packaging was pretty barebones-- no carrying pouch or case. The 'phones themselves do not fold up in any meaningful way-- I would They're a really nice sounding set of headphones to my ears.

flickr said:
Build quality looks and feels excellent so far. They're very comfortable. The cups fit over my ears nicely-- and I don't have small ears.

I'm very happy with the sound quality-- they're my first pair of open back headphones and there is definitely an airy quality to them. Otherwise, I'm terrible with the audiophilic adjectives but I can say that they compare well with both my NAD VISO HP50s and a co-worker's HD600s.

I brought them into work this morning and traded them with a co-worker for his HD600s-- he was really impressed with the K7XXs-- particularly how they handled the midrange-- he mentioned how amazing they sounded playing back some Bill Evans jazz.

For my part, I got to listen to the HD600s for a couple of hours and they're very nice as well, comfortable, and great sounding. Switching to the AGKs when we traded back, there was definitely nothing lost as far as the quality of the sound. If there are differences, as I'm sure there are, I'm not sure I've got the ear to pick anything out. I can say for sure, that I didn't hear anything that struck me as harsh.

So far, I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm curious to play around swapping them with my JVCs at work just to hear what I can hear.

What's the bass like in comparison to the NAD?
At first blush, I'll venture that it's not as strong (I really like the NAD's bass) but I still need to do a lot of listening. Extension seems fine though I haven't been listening for it specifically. I'll have both sets together at home over the weekend and I'll try swapping back and forth on some more bassy tracks.

Compare it to the KC06 for me.

I'll try to find some time to do so soonish. I'm currently super high on the Earwerkz Supra at the moment and doing some comparisons for some other friends. Unbelievable phone for the money. I'm contemplating selling everything I have and going for their 3 driver custom and just pocketing the cash.

Dave_6

I received my AKG K7XXs from Massdrop last night. I did a quick unboxing and listen last night but spent more time with them today. The packaging was pretty barebones-- no carrying pouch or case. The 'phones themselves do not fold up in any meaningful way-- I would They're a really nice sounding set of headphones to my ears.

Build quality looks and feels excellent so far. They're very comfortable. The cups fit over my ears nicely-- and I don't have small ears.

I'm very happy with the sound quality-- they're my first pair of open back headphones and there is definitely an airy quality to them. Otherwise, I'm terrible with the audiophilic adjectives but I can say that they compare well with both my NAD VISO HP50s and a co-worker's HD600s.

I brought them into work this morning and traded them with a co-worker for his HD600s-- he was really impressed with the K7XXs-- particularly how they handled the midrange-- he mentioned how amazing they sounded playing back some Bill Evans jazz.

For my part, I got to listen to the HD600s for a couple of hours and they're very nice as well, comfortable, and great sounding. Switching to the AGKs when we traded back, there was definitely nothing lost as far as the quality of the sound. If there are differences, as I'm sure there are, I'm not sure I've got the ear to pick anything out. I can say for sure, that I didn't hear anything that struck me as harsh.

So far, I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm curious to play around swapping them with my JVCs at work just to hear what I can hear.

Nice! Mine are supposed to be here Saturday. I'm anxious to see if mine have the 'rattling' issue like was being reported with many of the folks that got some of the first shipment. I still haven't ordered a Schiit stack so I won't be able to drive them well anyways.

Nice! Mine are supposed to be here Saturday. I'm anxious to see if mine have the 'rattling' issue like was being reported with many of the folks that got some of the first shipment. I still haven't ordered a Schiit stack so I won't be able to drive them well anyways.
I totally forgot about the rattling issue and neither I nor my co-worker heard it so I guess I'm safe there. These headphones do not seem particularly hard to drive. I've run them through my Leckerton amp and have not had to switch on high gain or move the volume knob past noon. I haven't tried them directly from my iPhone or PC yet though.

kris.

Banned
So I've never had a decent pair of headphones, I mostly used garbage earbuds but recently I've had this itch to explore sound a little more. Ordered some Sennheiser HD 439s off Amazon and they got here today. They're not the best headphones in the world, clearly, but shit do I already hear a difference.

pj

Banned

military spec earbuds smells like marketing to me. I guarantee I would kill them in a year. The warranty is enticing though.

For now, I will just get the KC06s. The vsonics they're replacing don't have a great reputation for isolation either, but they were good enough for me.

You'd think that, but I think the demonstrations of its durability back it up. The shells are titanium and can allegedly survive 100 whacks from a 30 lb. sledgehammer. (There was a video where they showed it taking multiple blows) The cable is reinforced Kevlar and I linked a video in the last page where a guy was pulling his car with the Rockets (another video had an AS employee using it as a swing). They're water resistant to a degree and can play submerged in a cup of water etc. My sister is really careless with her stuff and goes through phones the way that you do. I got her a pair of Rockets and it's the only thing that's holding up so far. And like I said, in the event that something does occur, it's backed up by perhaps the best warranty in the industry aside from KOSS.

I'd actually love to see whether you'd be able to kill them within a year just out of sheer curiosity lol

HiResDes

military spec earbuds smells like marketing to me. I guarantee I would kill them in a year. The warranty is enticing though.

For now, I will just get the KC06s. The vsonics they're replacing don't have a great reputation for isolation either, but they were good enough for me.

Naw, unless you purposefully try to fuck these up by running them over or something it ain't happening.
So I've never had a decent pair of headphones, I mostly used garbage earbuds but recently I've had this itch to explore sound a little more. Ordered some Sennheiser HD 439s off Amazon and they got here today. They're not the best headphones in the world, clearly, but shit do I already hear a difference.

I don't even consider those good headphones really if I'm being honest...And no it's no because of their price range, they're are some headphones in their range that kill them.

Top Bottom