• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Rooster

Asked this a while ago and didn't get a response. Reason is ask is I find any type of headphone, whether it be canalphones or big headphones, my ears get hot and irritated and the inside of my ear starts to hurt. I would love headphones I could just leave on my head all day.

Sony MDR-1R. Everyone is different of course but these as the comfiest headphones I've ever owned.

Grassy

Holy shit...finally got around to hooking my Schiit Valhalla 2 up. I thought I'd just try it as a preamp for my Logitech Z2300's to see how it goes.

Using with my PC so:

Asus Xonar Essence STX>Valhalla 2>Z2300's.

Man, the difference is amazing. I'm sitting here and I'm tripping out because I've had the z2300's for the last 7 years or so, but I've never heard music sound this good out of them. I'm listening to albums I've had on high rotation lately and the warmth, clarity, separation, bass and just overall tone is a big improvement.

I haven't even tried it with my HD650's and Marantz receiver yet, so I'm really looking forward to that....wow, really impressed already.

Asked this a while ago and didn't get a response. Reason is ask is I find any type of headphone, whether it be canalphones or big headphones, my ears get hot and irritated and the inside of my ear starts to hurt. I would love headphones I could just leave on my head all day.

Beyerdynamics for me. Low clamp force + large velour pads means my big head and ears are thanking me. If money isn't a problem, many people swear by how comfortable the Sennheiser HD800s are.

Beyerdynamics for me. Low clamp force + large velour pads means my big head and ears are thanking me. If money isn't a problem, many people swear by how comfortable the Sennheiser HD800s are.
The 800s are the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. No fatigue at all and they feel light as a feather.

TheBear

I have a set of Beyerdynamic DTX800's. Great sound but again uncomfortable for long periods. Which do you have?

HiResDes

DT770s are really comfortable, just a tad on the heavy side, and they become pretty hot in warm weather months after a short period of time.

HP50's came. Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the soundstage these cans have. I feel like I'm listening to a better version of my Grados, except there's actual isolation. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

RQvMg6i.jpg

HiResDes

Wow switched my opamps and changed the jump to high gain on the Claro Halo and I can definitely say that these can handle 250 OHM headphones quite easily.

mr stroke

picked up these on the cheap so I don't have to attach a Mod Mic on my nicer cans.

rYdYLZul.jpg

for "Gaming Headphones" they are fantastic(AFAIK they are rebranded HD598's). Dolby Headphone with these is no joke, positioning is about as good as it gets. Really impressed

Fox1304

I'm really enjoying the X2, but at that price tag I would have hoped for another shorter cable. Anybody could direct me in a product that could fit ? Something in the 1m / 1m20 length ? Will the SQ take a hit with another cable ?

Holy shit...finally got around to hooking my Schiit Valhalla 2 up. I thought I'd just try it as a preamp for my Logitech Z2300's to see how it goes.

Using with my PC so:

Asus Xonar Essence STX>Valhalla 2>Z2300's.

Man, the difference is amazing. I'm sitting here and I'm tripping out because I've had the z2300's for the last 7 years or so, but I've never heard music sound this good out of them. I'm listening to albums I've had on high rotation lately and the warmth, clarity, separation, bass and just overall tone is a big improvement.

I haven't even tried it with my HD650's and Marantz receiver yet, so I'm really looking forward to that....wow, really impressed already.

Posts like this make me giggle :D, since I'll be buying some Schiit stuff very soon. I was going to some time ago but I had to spend the money in something else.

Now it's time again!!!

HiResDes

I'm really enjoying the X2, but at that price tag I would have hoped for another shorter cable. Anybody could direct me in a product that could fit ? Something in the 1m / 1m20 length ? Will the SQ take a hit with another cable ?

No, in fact on the X1 you're supposed to change the cable as it comes packed in with one that had an oddly high impedance.

I didn't get to post in time, but the M80 was on sale for $79.99 earlier on Amazon Lightning, I'm sure everyone that wanted them probably already got them by now.

in all honesty(with out the bias of the money you spent on them) is there REALLY an audible difference with those cables?

Yes. with the HD800s the bass/drums are noticeably punchier. Sound is less bright and sparkly at the top end (which has made it pair much better with the HA-1 because it was way too bright earlier) and slightly warmer. It's a nicer sound. I have put in about 2 hours of listening and about 24 hours of burn in.

with the LCD3s i only listened to them for about 20 mins straight out of the box and i noticed that the drums/bass felt a bit fuller but i didnt spend much time with them.

But let me guess, you and about 3-4 other people think im lying and making this up in my head and couldnt not tell any difference with the stock cable am i right? Which is the reason i dont write impressions anymore on this forum - everyone jumps on, even though they have not heard the cable or the headphones i am using for the most part.

He was fucking with you. I mean I don't believe in burn-in at all, but cables really don't have any moving parts...

oh well honestly, this thread is useless and im going to unsubscribe. What a bunch of unwelcoming assholes in here. someone asks if i have run in cables, i reply - so i got played?

This place is fucking ridiculous - unless you are searching for headphones or IEMs under $50, there is no point to being here.

Oh well good luck, the people on headfi are a lot more welcoming and a LOT less condescending to people who actively participate in this hobby. It's amazing how quick some people are to tell me ive wasted my money, or i cant hear any difference between my two headphones - or cables dont matter. If you cant hear the difference, well good for you. You dont need to shit on every person that comes in here and buys something they like.

It may not make a difference changing cables on a set of philips headphones run off an I-phone, but on a set of HD800s and LCD3's, it really does make a difference. Instead of assuming everyone is lying to you - you should listen to what people who have these have to say, rather than constantly belittling someone's purchases because they dont fit in line with yours.

Ive never actually seen a more petty forum in my life than the shit that goes on in this particular one.

mrpookles

picked up these on the cheap so I don't have to attach a Mod Mic on my nicer cans.

rYdYLZul.jpg

for "Gaming Headphones" they are fantastic(AFAIK they are rebranded HD598's). Dolby Headphone with these is no joke, positioning is about as good as it gets. Really impressed

I picked up a pair of the Zeroes yesterday - they're pretty great. I'd like a pair of open cans for music, but these are excellent for a gaming combo (particularly coming from a pair of Astro A40s).

Waikis

Head-fi only looks more civil because they only allow cable science talk in the sub forum. A lot of people don't agree with HF / Jude's approach and thats why we have forums such as changstar or headcase.

Also 1 more week until I get my Blue Hawaii SE after 2 years of waiting:
Drooool
121225_Feature_EstatAmpsForSR009_photo_BHSEFront.jpg

Head-fi only looks more civil because they only allow cable science talk in the sub forum. A lot of people don't agree with HF / Jude's approach and thats why we have forums such as changstar or headcase.

Also 1 more week until I get my Blue Hawaii SE after 2 years of waiting:
Drooool
121225_Feature_EstatAmpsForSR009_photo_BHSEFront.jpg

Nothing to do with cables - they are nicer, more welcoming and actually give feedback when you write a review or post impressions. There is actual discussion rather than "Where can i get IEM's for $5?" type of posts. They are also less snarky which i notice a lot on this forum.

That Amp is amazing btw. I assume you are pairing this with a set of Stax? thats pretty much the best headphone amp in the world isnt it?

HiResDes

I mean this is a tiny little subforum on a gaming website, of course it can't really compare to the huge knowledgeable base of Headfi or Changstar

Waikis

Nothing to do with cables - they are nicer, more welcoming and actually give feedback when you write a review or post impressions. There is actual discussion rather than "Where can i get IEM's for $5?" type of posts. They are also less snarky which i notice a lot on this forum.

That Amp is amazing btw. I assume you are pairing this with a set of Stax? thats pretty much the best headphone amp in the world isnt it?

Well this is primarily a gaming forum, there will only be a small number of users who can actually give feed back to high end cans. And combined with the recent influx of people who are only starting to join the headphone game, it is not surprising to see many snarky comments.

Yeah it will be paired with my SR009. Best headphone amp title belongs to the DIY T2 unfortunately :p.

HiResDes

Brehs if I had 5k of disposable income of course I'd be there with you, though forreal I'd probably just save that towards a down payment on a house.

Yeah it will be paired with my SR009. Best headphone amp title belongs to the DIY T2 unfortunately :p.

damn that will sound amazing. ive never heard electrostats before.

What made you go with the blue hawaii as opposed to the RSA Dark Star? Is the Blue Hawaii a DAC as well?

Fox1304

No, in fact on the X1 you're supposed to change the cable as it comes packed in with one that had an oddly high impedance.
Yes I saw a few comments about that. It seems they have used some more down to earth impedance on the X2 though. Cable length is still a problem ... Any points to be check for changing cable ? Recommended brands or such ? I have an akg short cable lying around, no idea how it would fit.

Tommy DJ

Re: cable chat. I use Mogami cables for everything. Some speaker and headphone cables have some really dreadful connectors and solder jobs that I wouldn't be surprised if they influence sound quality minutely.

But that pretty much ends here for me. With power cables, I realy doubt they do anything considering they basically run in series with your home wiring. You better fix your home wiring if you want it to do anything significant.

I think a big reason why cables are seen so negatively is because cable changes and burn in is always presented as a huge positive on audiophile forums. Considering what people are describing as changes to a headphone's sound and driver, this clearly should not be the case.

andylsun

damn that will sound amazing. ive never heard electrostats before.

What made you go with the blue hawaii as opposed to the RSA Dark Star? Is the Blue Hawaii a DAC as well?

You need to hear a pair of electrostats. Going to pick up the SRS-2170 soon. I was going to save up for LCD2 or EL-8 but going to just go all in.

You can pick up the 2170 system for under $500 from pricejapan and easily sell it on for the same price nearly new if you don't like it.

Stick around in this thread if you can, it's great to see the gear you have. Cables are contentious topics but whatever works for you.

FoxSpirit

oh well honestly, this thread is useless and im going to unsubscribe. What a bunch of unwelcoming assholes in here. someone asks if i have run in cables, i reply - so i got played?

This place is fucking ridiculous - unless you are searching for headphones or IEMs under $50, there is no point to being here.

Oh well good luck, the people on headfi are a lot more welcoming and a LOT less condescending to people who actively participate in this hobby. It's amazing how quick some people are to tell me ive wasted my money, or i cant hear any difference between my two headphones - or cables dont matter. If you cant hear the difference, well good for you. You dont need to shit on every person that comes in here and buys something they like.

It may not make a difference changing cables on a set of philips headphones run off an I-phone, but on a set of HD800s and LCD3's, it really does make a difference. Instead of assuming everyone is lying to you - you should listen to what people who have these have to say, rather than constantly belittling someone's purchases because they dont fit in line with yours.

Ive never actually seen a more petty forum in my life than the shit that goes on in this particular one.
I have never seen a more self glorifiying asshole with zero audio experience in my life. You are a cancer to the art of audio reproduction, all money, no ears, go to Head-Fi where Jude will talk you into 10k headamps.

I am sick of audio people, audiophiles and studio alike who have no clue about audio reproduction, judging by "what it sounds to me", no clue about psychoacoustics, no clue about neutrality, no clue about even the most basic stuff. I was nice, friendly, thought you might come around with more listening experience and all. Guess not.

Good riddance.

You need to hear a pair of electrostats. Going to pick up the SRS-2170 soon. I was going to save up for LCD2 or EL-8 but going to just go all in.

You can pick up the 2170 system for under $500 from pricejapan and easily sell it on for the same price nearly new if you don't like it.

Stick around in this thread if you can, it's great to see the gear you have. Cables are contentious topics but whatever works for you.

Yeah, guess I might not have been the only one thinking that as PJ says they're backordered for the next 2 weeks or so, so yeah, get in while the yen is weak. I think the only caveat of the 2170 system is that the comfort factor of the Lambdas isn't all that great from what I've heard, other than that, I'm told that they hold up against the 007/009 amazingly well.

I have never seen a more self glorifiying asshole with zero audio experience in my life. You are a cancer to the art of audio reproduction, all money, no ears, go to Head-Fi where Jude will talk you into 10k headamps.

I am sick of audio people, audiophiles and studio alike who have no clue about audio reproduction, judging by "what it sounds to me", no clue about psychoacoustics, no clue about neutrality, no clue about even the most basic stuff. I was nice, friendly, thought you might come around with more listening experience and all. Guess not.

Good riddance.

Wow. Soon as I saw Fox's name come up I had a feeling he'd dig into Mike. Guess I wasn't wrong lol. Yeesh

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I know that they aren't exactly reference cans, but I bought some Skullcandy Hesh 2 wireless today. Man, not having a cord at my desk at work has been a godsend. I am going to have to check out more wireless offerings that may be better sounding.

Good riddance.

Then you are going to be doubly pissed when you see the new AMP/DAC i just ordered and new headphones im picking up in March ;)

ill let you know how the psychoacoustics sound. x

Tommy DJ

I think live and let live is a good philosophy to have regarding these things. If people hear a difference, than that's cool with me. But it's really the last thing anyone should fiddle with.

Realtalk here: it's sometimes quite difficult to not yell at you because some decisions just make no sense to me. I had to stop myself from swearing at you when you said you wanted to pair some $1,500 KEF bookshelves with some Devialet amp/DAC combo that ate into most of your $10,000 budget. I really hope you aren't still considering that because it's actually a really bad thing to do for so many reasons.

I know audiophile societies in Melbourne would probably greatly advise against doing such a thing. They would look at you as if you were insane pairing some decent pair of bookshelves with some all-in-one solution that is three times the price of the actual speaker.

Top Bottom