• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

tr4656

So Massdrop has a decent deal on the Philips L1, so I pulled the trigger since reviews (here and elsewhere) are good, and sound bleed doesn't seem too excessive.

Has anyone else used them to buy something? How fast is turnaround?

I've bought a bunch of stuff from them. The tournaround really depends on what you buy to be honest. I'd expect a couple weeks after the drop before it gets shipped.

Bloodember

Found some cheap headphone stands.

15859022484_b24646452e_h.jpg

Tommy DJ

Found a Quad 606/controller which I'd forgotten about in the garage which was my grandfather's before he passed a few years ago. Can it be used with headphones or is it going to blow them up?

If you know electronics, you definitely can. I don't think the Quad 66 pre-amplifier has a headphone jack so you need to do a few things.

You need to reterminate your headphones so you have separate left and right wires that you hook directly to the power amplifier's speaker posts.

Then you need to put appropriate resistors between the power amp and your headphones so you don't blow them.

For anyone interested in the Sennheiser 595 sound or looking for a decent gaming headphone Jaben Audio has the Goldring DR 150 on sale for $50! I'm about to pick up a pair just because they're so rare now and I believe the detachable port will fit the boom pro in case my X1s die or something.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the sound signature of the 595?

FoxSpirit

OdysseusVA: Full, relaxed, drives a good beat, if a bit fat for my tastes. Medium resolution.

So, I bought something new again: Sony MDR-M1A. After my experience the small Sonys and a test audition at a local store I made the call.
First impression after some off-head high-volume dubstep blasting and then regular playing: this sound? For 200 bucks? Thanks, I'll take it.
Let's say Claudio Abbado and the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra playing Beethoven's 9th sounds just incredible. Clarity. Space. Non-fake feeling brilliance. Amazing rendering of tutti and full-scale attacks. I couldn't wipe the grin from my face.

This is what it's supposed to sound, and without the gross overpay.

Also, those puppies scale like hell with better electronics. Out of a Clip it sounds already very good but a bit fat. Also, a bit too much bass for my taste. Bass -4dB on the Clip+ make them sound perfectly neutral.
With a good source and amp space clears way up and beats become much tighter and gain real plasticity (correct english word?).

Only downside: now I really need a Dac-Amp combo to give proper appreciation.

ButtSmasher: Oh, I think you will be pleased :)

150パーツを超える精密部品群で構成された前代未聞の
トランスフォーム・ヘッドフォン

The world’s first transforming headphones,
constructed from over 150 intricately sculpted parts.

Considering GS also makes stuff like this

http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/4842/ex+ride+Spride+06+TT+Zero+13+Kai.html

http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/4843/Megatron.html

I'd imagine something like the moving parts of this headphone aren't outside of the realm of possibility. Fostex may have designed the frame and consigned GS to manufacturing the parts

FoxSpirit

Man, what to do? The MDR-1A are seriously good. But I need to eq the bass. That makes them a bit difficult to use for studio purposes. Because otherwise those things are amazing.
Anyone know any line bass attentuator? :-\

Tommy DJ

Man, what to do? The MDR-1A are seriously good. But I need to eq the bass. That makes them a bit difficult to use for studio purposes. Because otherwise those things are amazing.
Anyone know any line bass attentuator? :-\

Time to get some dynamat and polyfill and do some modding. The two biggest problems with the MDR-1A were bass distortion and quantity. There are some pretty well documented mods floating around forums that show (as in actual measurements) a notable decrease bass quantity and distortion.

NotBacon

Here it is in all its glory (on my couchside table setup):
HifiMan HE-560
(warning, giant images)
D3lVx2q.jpg

First impressions:
- Much nicer wood box. Much nicer cable. Phones themselves are beautiful.
- Much nicer everything. It all screams quality.
- Super duper comfy compared to the HE-400. The cup part that touches your head is really soft.

Sound (last week when I was still using a FiiO e11k portable amp):
- A little more detail resolution if I try to listen intently.
- Bass is very defined with more texture. Almost makes the HE-400 sound like "thump thump thump".
- Highs are great but a little sibilant occasionally.
- Other than that, sounds just like a marginal improvement across the board.

Then this arrived on friday:
Garage1217 Project Polaris
0CJutn5.jpg

Really cool looking in person. Very highly (and easily) configurable too. I can change the bandwidth to roll off the higher frequencies, change attenuation for IEMs, gain, output resistance, etc.

Sound (HE-560 + PP + FiiO X1 DAP):
- Wow. Silky smooth is the best word I would use to describe it. I didn't really notice it before, but now the e11k sounds harsh.
- Sound stage feels like it just doubled, maybe tripled.
- Resolution is way better. Great instrument separation too.
- Bass just went the extra mile. So rich and textured. Sub-bass is amazing too.
- Set the PP to medium bandwidth to roll off the super high frequencies and it's less sibilant now, if at all. Still sound great and full.
- PP has mad power. The 2.4W is really noticeable as I can barely turn the knob halfway before it hurts my ears.

tl;dr: Great headphones. Throw in a real amplifier and these things skyrocket to amazing. I guess Purrin on Changstar wasn't joking when he called these things the JPS Abyss' little brother.

SpyGuy239

Hey Guys, just got my pair of VModa M-100s from Amazon Germany and I love the build quality alot but why is there a distinct lack of bass?

I am running from my iPad and iPhone 6 plus with no EQ settings and PC with V shaped EQ and there is hardly any bass. Even my Sennheiser IE80s and PX100IIs have more bass than this. Weren't these supposed to be basshead cans?

I tried a bass test on youtube and there is definitely low frequency sound, but not the bass punch I was expecting after everything I've read on here.

Did I get a dud copy? Should I return this for another set or go look for something else?

Edit: After further listening, no improvement ): damn it I really wanted to like this., Some songs I'm hearing more treble than bass and songs are clear and bright which sin't supposed to happen!

Does this pair require significant Burn in?

So tempted to just spring for some Beats..

Valnen

So I'm heavily considering getting the V-MODA M-100's. I plan on using them heavily for gaming, music, and voice chat on PS4 and PC. Basically I plan on using them for everything. The detachable cable has me excited. I LOVE the boompro mic addon, or at least the idea of it. The fact that I can have a pair of normal headphones or a gaming headset with just the switch of a cable sounds so useful for me. Especially since I don't really like clip on mics. Another thing that has me feeling good about the detachable cable is the ability to replace it, should something happen to the cable itself. My roommate somehow bent the metal on my MDRV6 connector, so now it never plugs in quite perfectly to anything. If this happened and I had the M-100's instead, I would just replace the cable. The XL pads also look very comfortable, which will be helpful for when I need to wear them for hours at a time.

I also admit, I really like how they look. That shadow design is awesome. This normally wouldn't matter that much to me, but for $300 it kind of does at least a little bit.

I'm curious how these compare to the Sony MDRV6 headphones. I'm hoping they will be a step up, as I don't really want to blow $300 on something that could sound potentially worse. Judging from post #18619 I think that won't be a problem but I was wondering if any other people here had experience with this particular set of headphones, and your thoughts on them. I like listening to rock, metal and such but I've been wanting to branch out to other genres like classical or jazz, so feedback on all genres would be appreciated.

I'm also very interested to know how they sound while gaming, because I've always felt my MDRV6 weren't very suited for gaming. Something has just always felt off about how things sound. I'm hoping the emphasis on bass will make gaming more enjoyable, but I'm also worried it might ruin some softer music. Will that be an issue?

Edit: Also the post directly above mine mentions a distinct lack of bass, but I've heard the opposite about this pair of headphones? That post wasn't there when I was writing this >.<.

HiResDes

Hey Guys, just got my pair of VModa M-100s from Amazon Germany and I love the build quality alot but why is there a distinct lack of bass?

I am running from my iPad and iPhone 6 plus with no EQ settings and PC with V shaped EQ and there is hardly any bass. Even my Sennheiser IE80s and PX100IIs have more bass than this. Weren't these supposed to be basshead cans?

I tried a bass test on youtube and there is definitely low frequency sound, but not the bass punch I was expecting after everything I've read on here.

Did I get a dud copy? Should I return this for another set or go look for something else?

Edit: After further listening, no improvement ): damn it I really wanted to like this., Some songs I'm hearing more treble than bass and songs are clear and bright which sin't supposed to happen!

Does this pair require significant Burn in?

So tempted to just spring for some Beats..
If you think those are too bass light you're a complete bass head. Also they're really not bright at all really, I thought they lacked a bit of treble detail and extension actually. Maybe you got knock offs because even Beats don't have much more bass. You might have to cop some Sony XB700s to be satisfied lol.

SpyGuy239

If you think those are too bass light you're a complete bass head. Also they're really not bright at all really, I thought they lacked a bit of treble detail and extension actually. Maybe you got knock offs because even Beats don't have much more bass. You might have to cop some Sony XB700s to be satisfied lol.

Do you think it is my expectations, or did I get a dud copy?

Pretty sure they are not knock-offs since I got them from amazon direct and not a third party seller selling through amazon.

Wonder if I should return for another copy of the same thing or if I should try something else altogether.

HiResDes

So I'm heavily considering getting the V-MODA M-100's. I plan on using them heavily for gaming, music, and voice chat on PS4 and PC. Basically I plan on using them for everything. The detachable cable has me excited. I LOVE the boompro mic addon, or at least the idea of it. The fact that I can have a pair of normal headphones or a gaming headset with just the switch of a cable sounds so useful for me. Especially since I don't really like clip on mics. Another thing that has me feeling good about the detachable cable is the ability to replace it, should something happen to the cable itself. My roommate somehow bent the metal on my MDRV6 connector, so now it never plugs in quite perfectly to anything. If this happened and I had the M-100's instead, I would just replace the cable. The XL pads also look very comfortable, which will be helpful for when I need to wear them for hours at a time.

I also admit, I really like how they look. That shadow design is awesome. This normally wouldn't matter that much to me, but for $300 it kind of does at least a little bit.

I'm curious how these compare to the Sony MDRV6 headphones. I'm hoping they will be a step up, as I don't really want to blow $300 on something that could sound potentially worse. Judging from post #18619 I think that won't be a problem but I was wondering if any other people here had experience with this particular set of headphones, and your thoughts on them. I like listening to rock, metal and such but I've been wanting to branch out to other genres like classical or jazz, so feedback on all genres would be appreciated.

I'm also very interested to know how they sound while gaming, because I've always felt my MDRV6 weren't very suited for gaming. Something has just always felt off about how things sound. I'm hoping the emphasis on bass will make gaming more enjoyable, but I'm also worried it might ruin some softer music. Will that be an issue?

Edit: Also the post directly above mine mentions a distinct lack of bass, but I've heard the opposite about this pair of headphones? That post wasn't there when I was writing this >.<.
The Sony MDR-1RA might also be worth checking out, great sound, and a detachable cable though it might be too recessed to fit the Boompro.

Valnen

The Sony MDR-1RA might also be worth checking out, great sound, and a detachable cable though it might be too recessed to fit the Boompro.

Those seem nice too, but I think the overall design of the M-100 works better for me. I'm assuming the M-100 also have great sound, right? How would you compare the sound of the M-100's to the MDR-1R?

Largo

So I backed off on the Philips Fidelio L1 since I didn't want an open headphone, semi or otherwise-my wife would inevitably complain, and went with the Sennheiser Momentum-but drunkenly got the on-ear for a good price instead of the over-ear. Do they actually need a long burn-in period? There's a few violently negative reviews, so I was curious who's actually tried out the on-ear, since otherwise it seems like a well regarded pair of phones.

HiResDes

So I backed off on the Philips Fidelio L1 since I didn't want an open headphone, semi or otherwise-my wife would inevitably complain, and went with the Sennheiser Momentum-but drunkenly got the on-ear for a good price instead of the over-ear. Do they actually need a long burn-in period? There's a few violently negative reviews, so I was curious who's actually tried out the on-ear, since otherwise it seems like a well regarded pair of phones.
The new Beats Solo 2s are more balanced.

Fox1304

I'd say yes, they need some burn in. I've found them extremely muddy ( compared to a Fidelio M1 for example ) in the lower sections. It went away a bit with burn-in.
But I've given up on this model after that, since I hate their comfort.

darkwing

Those seem nice too, but I think the overall design of the M-100 works better for me. I'm assuming the M-100 also have great sound, right? How would you compare the sound of the M-100's to the MDR-1R?

I think the M-100 would be a little bassy than the MDR-1R

bedlamite

The MoEs are still one of the best-looking portables out there, and I was aching to fork over my money to Senn solely based on its aesthetics, but that sound signature...I just couldn't do it. I've auditioned these cans many many times, and they always sound the same to me: muddy bass with painfully recessed midrange. Just terrible.

Largo

Thanks guys. Since returns aren't an option, I guess I'll just have to give these a few days to settle. I'd heard similar complaints about the bass, but it seems if you give them a lot of time to burn in it gets a lot better. At least they....look nice?

I had a very quick play with these phones:
Grado SR225(e?)
AKG Q701
Grado RS2e

It was super unscientific but I was surprised that I preferred my Denon D2000 to basically all of them. Didn't like the 225 at all, Q701 was okay, only the RS2e sounded nice to me.

No_Style

I'm looking to replace my Sony XBA-2 IEMs. What would you recommend? I am quite happy with them but the left side is going out.

Price range: Under $140 CAD
No in-line mics/remotes, please.
Prefer J-cord style but I'm okay with Y-cords

Thanks in advance

HiResDes

I had a very quick play with these phones:
Grado SR225(e?)
AKG Q701
Grado RS2e

It was super unscientific but I was surprised that I preferred my Denon D2000 to basically all of them. Didn't like the 225 at all, Q701 was okay, only the RS2e sounded nice to me.
The sound signature of the Denon D2000 is completely different than those.

andylsun

Hopping on a Stax 2170 system. $470? Thank you weak Japanese yen lol

Procejapan? I'm thinking either 2170, or maybe 307 earspeakers with woo wee. I really want the lambda driver.

Been trawling ebay and there's a Stax Lambda Nova basic system for $450. Tempting.

I'm worried about customs charges for orders shipped from Japan so let me know if you get hit.

Yep. I talked to a friend at HF about it. He builds solid state stat amps and told me there was no point in getting a better amp for the 207 (his current amp is a KGSSHV and he's building a T2 I believe). He said couldn't tell the difference between the stock 2170 amp and the KGSSHV on a SR202. He also said moving up the x07 ladder was pointless as the difference between them was akin to splitting ball hairs. The 2170 honestly seems to be the sweet spot in the entire Stax lineup as diminishing returns with Stax seems tremendous.

And I don't think customs is a big deal. I've ordered from Pricejapan multiple times and never got hit. The last thing I ordered from them was the LAB I at $1,650. Didn't get hit with anything

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
We need more info. Closed or open? What genres does he listen to? Does he need something that sounds good unamped?

I would say best of closed and open. He isn't a huge music nut nor does he care about much more than plugging into his iPhone and listening to "stuff".

Basically, I'm looking to help him get the most basic all encompassing option that ISN'T Beats or some Walmart shit.

andylsun

Yep. I talked to a friend at HF about it. He builds solid state stat amps and told me there was no point in getting a better amp for the 207 (his current amp is a KGSSHV and he's building a T2 I believe). He said couldn't tell the difference between the stock 2170 amp and the KGSSHV on a SR202. He also said moving up the x07 ladder was pointless as the difference between them was akin to splitting ball hairs. The 2170 honestly seems to be the sweet spot in the entire Stax lineup as diminishing returns with Stax seems tremendous.

And I don't think customs is a big deal. I've ordered from Pricejapan multiple times and never got hit. The last thing I ordered from them was the LAB I at $1,650. Didn't get hit with anything

Thanks for the great info. Im going to see if I can get lucky on eBay and if not, will give price japan a shot. I did wonder if the massive jump in energizer price from 2170 to 3170 was worth it, that's why I was thinking the woo wee instead.

If the 2170 system will get me the electrostatic Stax sound then that's great.

If the 207's are close to the 307's then that's good to know too.

TheBear

If money was no object, what is the absolute most "comfortable" set of headphones , canalphones, etc. on the market? Like you could wear them all day and not notice on your head or in your ears.

Asked this a while ago and didn't get a response. Reason is ask is I find any type of headphone, whether it be canalphones or big headphones, my ears get hot and irritated and the inside of my ear starts to hurt. I would love headphones I could just leave on my head all day.

Top Bottom