• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Alex

I need a new ~40-50ish pair of headphones for general home use. I'm looking between the Sony XB500 and the JVC RX700. Any opinions between those two?

Alex said:
I need a new ~40-50ish pair of headphones for general home use. I'm looking between the Sony XB500 and the JVC RX700. Any opinions between those two?
Kamspy is selling his Superlux 681 HDs for 25-30 shipped. Details are in a post above. He says they sound better to him than the Sony XB500 he bought to replace the Superlux.

JoeMartin

Just went from HD555's (which served me faithfully for nearly 5 years and I loved every minute) to HD600's on an Asus Xonar ST.

Absolutely phenomenal. I really don't know how else to put it other than that this is some seriously amazing shin shi shin shi.

HiResDes

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Kamspy is selling his Superlux 681 HDs for 25-30 shipped. Details are in a post above. He says they sound better to him than the Sony XB500 he bought to replace the Superlux.
Yes definitely get them, oh and I should be done with my Radius DDM impressions by tomorrow...Here's the inside scoop, I think they're the cat's pajamas.

HiResDes said:
Yes definitely get them, oh and I should be done with my Radius DDM impressions by tomorrow...Here's the inside scoop, I think they're the cat's pajamas.
Sweet. I knew you'd like them Des haha. Actually, hold on to them for a bit longer. I'll let you know when to send them back as I'm going to be heading up to IL shortly so I won't be here in MO to receive them. I'm hoping to save up for the new Radius TWF-21Rs that will no doubt be making the rounds over at Head-Fi in a few short months, it's either that or the Earsonic SM3s. You'll be on my shortlist to test drive whichever pair I decide on.

robox

one contributor to the beats phenomenon is that they could be had at big box retailers. whereas audio technica, higher model sennheisers and especially aiaiai are still boutique status. you really have to know about beforehand and seek them out for yourself.
at least around here.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've been having ringing in my ears for the past few days and it's pissing me off real bad. I don't think it's hearing damage...I haven't listened to anything louder than I ever have (I really don't listen all that loud). Maybe it's a head cold...I don't know. Real annoying though. Feels like there's a TV on in my head.

Using a pair of AKG 701 reference headphones.

So badass.
lawblob said:
I'm sure it's been talked about before in the thread, but my god those Beats by Dre headphones are *everywhere!*

That is some seriously effective marketing.

The ENTIRE basketball team at my school has them.

TheExodu5 said:
I've been having ringing in my ears for the past few days and it's pissing me off real bad. I don't think it's hearing damage...I haven't listened to anything louder than I ever have (I really don't listen all that loud). Maybe it's a head cold...I don't know. Real annoying though. Feels like there's a TV on in my head.

Sounds like you could be developing tinnitus man. Might want to lay off the phones for awhile. And it's not just how loud you listen, but also how long, as it's a cumulative effect.

Alucrid

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

Have you been to a concert or had ear surgery recently? That's how I got mine and I love it.

I HATE IT. IT RUINED MY LIFE.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Alucrid said:
Have you been to a concert or had ear surgery recently? That's how I got mine and I love it.

Hmm Tinnitus ? One of my friends has that, and he's a musician. Really bothered him, and rightly so - I think he spent a lot of time trying to find a cure (in vain obviously, but probably couldn't stand that he had it).

TheExodu5

Banned
Alucrid said:

Nothing. Haven't done anything out of the ordinary. In fact...I haven't even been listening to headphones very much lately. The problem just kind of ramped up over the past few days.

TheExodu5 said:
Nothing. Haven't done anything out of the ordinary. In fact...I haven't even been listening to headphones very much lately. The problem just kind of ramped up over the past few days.
That is rather strange... Just hope you don't end up like Foxy Brown and suddenly lose your hearing to severe sudden sensorineural hearing loss. That shit scares the hell out of me. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my hearing.

I've experienced that myself, blocked eustachian tube. I didn't have insurance, so I didn't want to go to an ENT and get charged however much they were going to, to check it out. It sucked so bad cause I was practically deaf in one ear.

LProtag

I have tinnitus. It's not fun when you're sitting in bed and everything is completely quiet except for a high pitched noise in your head.

I blame it on the drummer I play with. He makes me turn my extremely loud amp even higher to keep up. I always wear hearing protection though.

InsertNameHere said:
I have tinnitus. It's not fun when you're sitting in bed and everything is completely quiet except for a high pitched noise in your head.

I blame it on the drummer I play with. He makes me turn my extremely loud amp even higher to keep up. I always wear hearing protection though.
QFT. It's the absolute worst when it's dead silent and all I can hear/feel is this pulsing in my ears. Ugh. What amp do you use INH?

Im so tempted to get those beats Solo HDs even though there by Monster. I really love the design and look. Does anybody here have them and how are they?

Anticitizen One said:
Im so tempted to get those beats Solo HDs even though there by Monster. I really love the design and look. Does anybody here have them and how are they?
I... really wouldn't. I mean, unless appearance is of paramount importance to you, there are tons of better phones that you can get for the money. The TMA-1's for instance...

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

I heard the Superlux 681 are pretty sibilant. Those who are sensitive to sibilance should look elsewhere.

This is a stupid question, but I just bought a headphone amplifier and am oblivious as to how the volume settings should be set up relative to each other. Should the source (in my case my sound card) be cranked up all the way to 100% or should I keep the source on a low volume and instead increase it via the amplifier? What would give me the best audio quality?

leng jai

Government-man said:
This is a stupid question, but I just bought a headphone amplifier and am oblivious as to how the volume settings should be set up relative to each other. Should the source (in my case my sound card) be cranked up all the way to 100% or should I keep the source on a low volume and instead increase it via the amplifier? What would give me the best audio quality?

Source at 100% so your amp can control the volume.

poweld

"leng jai" is incorrect. Very much so. Your source is your sound card, which includes an amplifier, and likely one that isn't as good as your dedicated headphone amp. Turning that to 100% will likely cause distortion, which your headphone amp will happily amplify, making that distortion even louder!

What you should do is listen to your music without the headphone amp, and see approximately where the distortion kicks in. If you don't want to bother with this, 65% or so is a fairly safe bet. It all depends on the quality of your sound card.

poweld said:
"leng jai" is incorrect. Very much so. Your source is your sound card, which includes an amplifier, and likely one that isn't as good as your dedicated headphone amp. Turning that to 100% will likely cause distortion, which your headphone amp will happily amplify, making that distortion even louder!

What you should do is listen to your music without the headphone amp, and see approximately where the distortion kicks in. If you don't want to bother with this, 65% or so is a fairly safe bet. It all depends on the quality of your sound card.

Well, I can't test it right now as I'm not at home, but I haven't noticed any distortion previously when listening directly to my sound card (which is a Creative X-Fi xtreme(something)). I usually have the volume set at 20% to 60% depending on what I was playing. I have never touched >80% as that would fuck up my hearing. But it makes sense that the amplifier in the sound card shouldn't be doing all the work. Then again, I'm not an expert at this. I'll just have to try it and see what the perfect breakpoint will be I guess.

Alucrid

Banned
Extollere said:
Hmm Tinnitus ? One of my friends has that, and he's a musician. Really bothered him, and rightly so - I think he spent a lot of time trying to find a cure (in vain obviously, but probably couldn't stand that he had it).

Yeah. No cure as of now, although they were working on something that seemed to have help somewhat 'reset' it so that there was no tinnitus. I think this was on mice though.

TheExodu5 said:

Well, that's odd then. Might want to get it checked out if it continues.

I... really wouldn't. I mean, unless appearance is of paramount importance to you, there are tons of better phones that you can get for the money. The TMA-1's for instance...

Even then, you'll just look like the dude next to you. :p

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm hoping so bad that this is just from a head cold or something. It 'might' be, since it seems to to travel from one ear to another at times. Right now, the sound is centered in my head. Yesterday, it was mostly on the left side.

This is seriously the worst ever. If this sound never goes away, I don't see how I could ever listen to headphones again.

poweld

TheExodu5 said:
I'm hoping so bad that this is just from a head cold or something. It 'might' be, since it seems to to travel from one ear to another at times. Right now, the sound is centered in my head. Yesterday, it was mostly on the left side.

This is seriously the worst ever. If this sound never goes away, I don't see how I could ever listen to headphones again.
Do you wear IEM's? Either way, you should get your ears checked out. Could be something going on that can be fixed.

Alucrid

Banned
poweld said:
Do you wear IEM's? Either way, you should get your ears checked out. Could be something going on that can be fixed.

Ear infection maybe? Could be as easy as a few anti-biotics. I'm no ENT though.

Just want to post an impression of the headphone-amp I talked about earlier. Got a big smile on my face as soon as I tried it (Pro-Ject headbox II with Sennheiser HD650). Wasn't sure about how much difference it would make, but it really produced a fuller sound. And yeah, it seems to be ideal to keep the source on ~65% and adjust volume via the amp.

KJTB

Hey headphone Gaf, I need some advice for a purchase of new headphones :). I read the OP and I'm a little lost, there are just so many options and I'd really like to hear some input from some people who have used the headphones in person.

These headphones would be used primarily to listen to music through my iphone. I don't want headphones that are extremely delicate because I'd be taking these with me to school, on the bus, walking around the town, etc. There are adapter plugs that I can buy so I can plug them into my computer, correct? Also, are amps really worth it for someone who isn't really an audiophile but wants to just upgrade to a nicer set of headphones?

The maximum I'm will to pay for a new set of headphones is 250 dollars, however 180-200 would be more ideal. I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly to just about every major genre of electronic music, hard rock, rock, metal, death metal, rap, and hip hop. I'd prefer the headphones to be pretty good in the bass department.

Thanks! Awesome thread btw :). I posted in here a while ago when I got a free pair of Sony MDR- 7506 and they're awesome... but I have the money and I want to own a set of real kickass headphones haha

TheExodu5

Banned
Alucrid said:
Ear infection maybe? Could be as easy as a few anti-biotics. I'm no ENT though.
I hope so.

I can feel some negative pressure in my ear at the moment, so I'm really hoping it's an ear infection or a head cold. I would be so, so sad if this were permanent. :(

TheExodu5

Banned
Dipindots said:
Hey headphone Gaf, I need some advice for a purchase of new headphones :). I read the OP and I'm a little lost, there are just so many options and I'd really like to hear some input from some people who have used the headphones in person.

These headphones would be used primarily to listen to music through my iphone. I don't want headphones that are extremely delicate because I'd be taking these with me to school, on the bus, walking around the town, etc. There are adapter plugs that I can buy so I can plug them into my computer, correct? Also, are amps really worth it for someone who isn't really an audiophile but wants to just upgrade to a nicer set of headphones?

The maximum I'm will to pay for a new set of headphones is 250 dollars, however 180-200 would be more ideal. I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly to just about every major genre of electronic music, hard rock, rock, metal, death metal, rap, and hip hop. I'd prefer the headphones to be pretty good in the bass department.

Thanks! Awesome thread btw :). I posted in here a while ago when I got a free pair of Sony MDR- 7506 and they're awesome... but I have the money and I want to own a set of real kickass headphones haha
I recently got the Phiaton MS 400. A little on the warm side, but they're the best portable set I've listened to. Very comfortable (and stylish if you get the red) to boot.

Seeing as you want good bass, it would be hard not to recommend these.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
poweld said:

What if you're using a DAC/amp combo? Wouldn't it be best then to keep your software volume at 100% and then use the pot on the amp to adjust the volume?

KJTB

TheExodu5 said:
I recently got the Phiaton MS 400. A little on the warm side, but they're the best portable set I've listened to. Very comfortable (and stylish if you get the red) to boot.

Seeing as you want good bass, it would be hard not to recommend these.

Looking into these. So far they look like they're exactly what I'm looking for!

They also look sexy as fuck haha

thefil

So I realize I could probably learn everything if I wanted to read this entire thread, but I have limited time and I'd really prefer to get recommendations if at all possible. The first post is a little overwhelming with options, and not very sorted. Reposted from the new thread I idiotically created:

>3 years ago, I bought a pair of Bose on-ear headphones because I tried them on in an Apple Store, wanted my first pair of quality headphones, and didn't want to spend three years researching online. I've been very happy with the purchase but not kind to the headphones. The covers are torn almost all away, there are cracks, and the left ear spins freely so that I'm sure the wires inside will snap at any moment.

What's the next logical step? I'm looking for something of similar size; no unwieldy large over-ear headphones or in-ears. But I feel like there are probably better options than Bose for my second dip into headphones costing more than $25.

I just want them for music on my Mac/iPhone. No need for amp compatibility or anything fancy like that.

FoxSpirit

Oh hi, medium-long Tinnituser here. Started 4 years ago, first made me mad, now I have grown accustomed to it. And no, no noise trauma, no cold, nothing. Just the stress of going to a completely relaxed job every day.

I'm really easily stressed, though things get better.

Only thing is, I'm really suspectibly to any sharp sound and treble energy. Had to tuen down the highs of my M50s -4dB, now they sound great to my ears. Will later get a WooAudio 6 to see how the supposedly more rounded sound of a tube amp will add. Noise and THD of a tube certainly have a warm signature as opposed to the coldness SS.

And yeah, kinda sucks but you have to relax and ignore. Otherwise I couldn't meditate at all. One day, I hope there will be silence in my head again though. But if not, it's not too bad :)

Alucrid

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
Oh hi, medium-long Tinnituser here. Started 4 years ago, first made me mad, now I have grown accustomed to it. And no, no noise trauma, no cold, nothing. Just the stress of going to a completely relaxed job every day.

I'm really easily stressed, though things get better.

Only thing is, I'm really suspectibly to any sharp sound and treble energy. Had to tuen down the highs of my M50s -4dB, now they sound great to my ears. Will later get a WooAudio 6 to see how the supposedly more rounded sound of a tube amp will add. Noise and THD of a tube certainly have a warm signature as opposed to the coldness SS.

And yeah, kinda sucks but you have to relax and ignore. Otherwise I couldn't meditate at all. One day, I hope there will be silence in my head again though. But if not, it's not too bad :)

Mine only is really noticeable at night when I'm trying to go to sleep. It's not "OH MY GOD THIS RINGING" but just that I actually notice it.

Hey guys, I've checked DHL and it looks like my Little Dot Mk IV SE and DAC_I are going to be at home by the time I get off work. Sweeeet. Hopefully the cables I got from monoprice will also be there, no tracking on them.

Of course my LCD-2s still won't be shipped until near the end of next week :| They must have an enormous backlog to get through. I'll be running the 595s through the DAC/Amp for the moment. I'm curious to see the change it will bring to them as I've found the 595 to be a bit 'clinical'.

Well the look/design is really the big thing I like about them. I was thinking of getting a set of nice expensive headphones for use when i'm on the plane so I don't have to hear the sound of the jet engine when i'm using my psp and ipod.

TheExodu5

Banned
I found a very weird link with my recent tinnitus...when I look at a black screen on the PC, it's low pitched, and when I switch to a white screen, it becomes higher pitched. Other than that though, I find it fluctuates a lot, and that's the most annoying part. It's not a straight tone...if it were, it wouldn't be so bad.

punkypine

so i'm looking for some decent headphones and the main issue i've had with all of the ones i've used before is that they start to hurt my head after ~ 1 hour of use. i tried my friends Bose QC15's and they were really comfortable but there is no way in hell i'm paying that much.

I dont need/want/ever use noise cancelling, but decent noise isolation would be nice. Whats the best set for under 100 bucks that not only sounds good, but is comfortable? I see alot of comments on sound quailty, and while thats important, if i can't wear it for 4 hours while studying, then quality means nothing

poweld

TheExodu5 said:
I found a very weird link with my recent tinnitus...when I look at a black screen on the PC, it's low pitched, and when I switch to a white screen, it becomes higher pitched. Other than that though, I find it fluctuates a lot, and that's the most annoying part. It's not a straight tone...if it were, it wouldn't be so bad.
Why haven't you gone to a doctor yet?

FoxSpirit

punkypine said:
so i'm looking for some decent headphones and the main issue i've had with all of the ones i've used before is that they start to hurt my head after ~ 1 hour of use. i tried my friends Bose QC15's and they were really comfortable but there is no way in hell i'm paying that much.

I dont need/want/ever use noise cancelling, but decent noise isolation would be nice. Whats the best set for under 100 bucks that not only sounds good, but is comfortable? I see alot of comments on sound quailty, and while thats important, if i can't wear it for 4 hours while studying, then quality means nothing

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542694/audio-technica-ath-ad700

Be quick and do it. While I have only heard the AD500 and AD900, those also reportedly sound great (obviously :p)

And they are the most comfortable headphones ever. Seriously, a feather pillow on your head. Like putting something made out of air on.

Ashhong

So I might have to give in and buy a portable amp for my M50s. The sound difference between having an amp and not having one is just too big. I'm looking at the E7 and E5. I don't really understand DAC and all that terminology, so if you guys could recommend one or the other without fancy words that would be nice.

I already have an amp setup on my PC desktop, although it isn't a dedicated headphone amp, so maybe the FIIO will sound even better? Someone recommended I get the E7 before, but I didn't understand why over the E5. It's 80$ more...so the reason has to be good.

Neckbeard

Hi all.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread, but it's given me more options than I know what to do with. My son destroyed my four-year-old Turtle Beach X1s, and I'm looking to replace. I've got a budget of $75-85 with the possibility to move up in price, if the value is there and it's worth arguing with my wife over.

Main use is for gaming, and a decent mic is a big plus, though honestly, I'd prefer to go without this time so I can wear them in public without looking like I just stepped out of my fighter jet.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks, Can-GAF.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Neckbeard said:
Hi all.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread, but it's given me more options than I know what to do with. My son destroyed my four-year-old Turtle Beach X1s, and I'm looking to replace. I've got a budget of $75-85 with the possibility to move up in price, if the value is there and it's worth arguing with my wife over.

Main use is for gaming, and a decent mic is a big plus, though honestly, I'd prefer to go without this time so I can wear them in public without looking like I just stepped out of my fighter jet.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks, Can-GAF.
Beyerdynamic DT235, easily.

Otherwise, pray the ATH-M50 drops to $80 again.

Top Bottom