• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Okay, I've decided to jump in the fray and purchased the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 because I needed something comfortable as I have some thick glasses and most headphones kill my head. Anyone with glasses have any experience with these and how comfortable they are? Also is there any sound leakage when listening to them? I plan to use them at libraries and would hate for others to have to be disturbed by my music. And last, some reviews say that the bass is lacking did anyone else have this experience with these?

LCfiner

mrkapawutzis said:
Okay, I've decided to jump in the fray and purchased the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 because I needed something comfortable as I have some thick glasses and most headphones kill my head. Anyone with glasses have any experience with these and how comfortable they are? Also is there any sound leakage when listening to them? I plan to use them at libraries and would hate for others to have to be disturbed by my music. And last, some reviews say that the bass is lacking did anyone else have this experience with these?

I've used them a lot and I have glasses. they're very light on the head and don't put any pressure on it.

However, it's true that they're super bass light. an amp can help but it's not going to drastically change the sound sig - just add some impact to drums. otherwise, they sound great. good detail and nice soundstage.

the thing with these cans is that their fit on my head was so light that they always felt they were falling off my head. if i leaned my body forward or back, the top wing mechanism would start to slide a bit down my head, lol.

LCfiner said:
the thing with these cans is that their fit on my head was so light that they always felt they were falling off my head. if i leaned my body forward or back, the top wing mechanism would start to slide a bit down my head, lol.

That sounds pretty loose. Hopefully they'll fit a little more secure on my big ass head. How about the sound leakage? Do you know if its pretty bad?

Neckbeard said:
Found those for $46 USD on eBay. Sound like a good deal?

When I bought mine they were $150 at the Sony Store, which was the only place that sold them downtown.

They are nice headphones but the sound is uncolored so it is unexciting as it doesn't have PHAT BEATZ! technology in them.

If you've seen the show Frasier they use them in the radio set. Wow, nice wikipedia site for them/the series of them... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_MDR-V6

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Neckbeard said:
Found those for $46 USD on eBay. Sound like a good deal?

Don't do it. Too many counterfeits on ebay. You can get the MDR-V6's for $70 shipped from Amazon or BHphotovideo.com if you are considering a flat/neutral set.

Ashhong

Ashhong said:
So I might have to give in and buy a portable amp for my M50s. The sound difference between having an amp and not having one is just too big. I'm looking at the E7 and E5. I don't really understand DAC and all that terminology, so if you guys could recommend one or the other without fancy words that would be nice.

I already have an amp setup on my PC desktop, although it isn't a dedicated headphone amp, so maybe the FIIO will sound even better? Someone recommended I get the E7 before, but I didn't understand why over the E5. It's 80$ more...so the reason has to be good.

:)

either is good, Ashong.

E5 if you only want/need something to enhance the sound when you're on the got, as it's smaller and sounds great (about the size of one of those clip-on ipods). E7 if you want something still small enough to be portable without too much inconvenience (about the size of an iPod Classic), but will also pull double-duty by cleaning up and enhancing the sound coming out of your computer (DAC).

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Ashhong said:
Well couldn't I use the E5 with my computer as well? Or is the E7 a much much better choice for computer listening?

Easy test - plug your headphones into your computer - nothing playing and turn the volume all the way up. If it's relatively silent then the E5 should be good enough. If there's quite a bit of noise/hiss/static then the E7 might be a better choice since it processes the audio on it's own and will bypass/eliminate the noise (where the E5 would increase that noise).

Beatbox said:
Easy test - plug your headphones into your computer - nothing playing and turn the volume all the way up. If it's relatively silent then the E5 should be good enough. If there's quite a bit of noise/hiss/static then the E7 might be a better choice since it processes the audio on it's own and will bypass/eliminate the noise (where the E5 would increase that noise).
I agree with this.

Also, a small consideration: the E7 can provide more bass-boost, if you're into that. and perhaps a slightly fuller sound. but for $20, I think the E5 is worth its weight in gold if you want to go that route.

Neckbeard

Beatbox said:
Don't do it. Too many counterfeits on ebay. You can get the MDR-V6's for $70 shipped from Amazon or BHphotovideo.com if you are considering a flat/neutral set.

Yeah I noticed it was shipping out of China, so I can only guess they're counterfeit. High-rated seller though.

This glowing customer-review on Amazon of the M50S sold me on them. Should be here Tuesday with free two-day shipping..

Edit (sidenote):
"It's all up in your grill with pleasing authority and with the natural fullness that is to be expected with your tunes."

This phrase had me rolling. I pictured a guy who looks like Ken Jennings and dresses like Eazy-E tapping out this review at his MacBook.

Yeah, buying headphones off of eBay is a risky proposition. Unless the seller is an authorized dealer, or is a known seller on head-fi, I wouldn't risk it, as there is actually a pretty big market for counterfeit phones. There are some posts over at head fi dealing with counterfeits, with supplemental pictures. Truth is, unless you are well acquainted with the phones in question, it's quite difficult to tell that you have a fake from looks alone.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyways, I'll be going to see a doctor hopefully later this week about the Tinnitus. My dad, who's a nurse that's worked with ENTs for quite a while, is convinced that it's just headphones that have done it. Even though I listen to moderate levels, he says headphones can sound deceivingly low for high SPL levels.

If my Tinnitus persists, I fear my headphone listening is likely to cease.

I still find it odd that it's happened just now, after 10 years of headphone listening. The only thing that's really changed is that I listened to the AKG K702 for about 3-4 days, and the Phiaton MS 400 for about the same length of time. I had some bad headaches after listening to the AKG K702 (that was about a month ago). I wonder if they might have caused this. I listened to the AKGs at home, so I figure the volume couldn't have been that high. As for the MS 400, they at least block some sound, and I only listened to them for about 2 hours total on the bus.

Alucrid

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Anyways, I'll be going to see a doctor hopefully later this week about the Tinnitus. My dad, who's a nurse that's worked with ENTs for quite a while, is convinced that it's just headphones that have done it. Even though I listen to moderate levels, he says headphones can sound deceivingly low for high SPL levels.

If my Tinnitus persists, I fear my headphone listening is likely to cease.

I still find it odd that it's happened just now, after 10 years of headphone listening. The only thing that's really changed is that I listened to the AKG K702 for about 3-4 days, and the Phiaton MS 400 for about the same length of time. I had some bad headaches after listening to the AKG K702 (that was about a month ago). I wonder if they might have caused this.

Well...there's always the Audiophile speaker thread. :p

But yeah, hope it's nothing serious man. Not being able to listen to headphones would be awful.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alucrid said:
Well...there's always the Audiophile speaker thread. :p

But yeah, hope it's nothing serious man. Not being able to listen to headphones would be awful.

Well I'll eventually be moving to speakers, once I can house them. For the time being though, I'm taking it easy and hoping this goes away. I'll be reading on the bus over the next week instead of listening to music.

I was looking forward to getting a pair of LCD-2. I should be on the waiting list for about another month and a half. If it hasn't subsided by then...I'll be cancelling my order and give up headphones for good.

HiResDes said:
If you don't read the OP, I'm going to verbally strangle you

I read it :) I was just wondering (having no experience with headphones) if leakage from open headphones are consistent in the "amount" being leaked? Are some worse than others and if so how bad are the AD-700 in this department?

Chairhome

Thanks, Dynamite Ringo Matsuri, for the recommendation on the KSC75s! They sounded pretty good, but I just replaced the pads with px200 pads and they sound even better (and feel better, too). I might not even have to do the kramer mod, but the tinkerer inside me wants to do it anyway.

Also, picked up the e5 to use in my car and such a big improvement. I get a low, persistent beeping noise in my car (I think its the cables I'm using) at high volumes, so now that I don't have to crank it all the way up to hear whatever I'm playing on my phone, I don't hear the beep, and the sound is much better. Yay for this thread.

HiResDes

mrkapawutzis said:
I read it :) I was just wondering (having no experience with headphones) if leakage from open headphones are consistent in the "amount" being leaked? Are some worse than others and if so how bad are the AD-700 in this department?
They are all pretty bad, especially if you're thinking about using them in a library. Heck, I'd even be weary of using some closed cans in a library.

poweld

Just a quick note to anybody considering the K701/K702's, I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary with my pair, and I have only grown more in love with them. It's almost like when I get excited about listening to a new album, my K702's are MORE excited to reproduce it in as lively a manner as possible.

4387954929_6e5411910b.jpg

4388717814_7292981104.jpg

<3

Don't tell my Senn 600's, but I think they may have finally been edged out as my favorite pair :-/

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
My experience with the E5 vs E7 was this:

The E5 doesn't bring anything out of decent cans, but it can certainly help IEMs, especially those that need help with a little bit of low end umph. Anyone with an M50, HD25, TMA-1 etc will get nothing out of this amp.

Davidion

poweld said:
Just a quick note to anybody considering the K701/K702's, I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary with my pair, and I have only grown more in love with them. It's almost like when I get excited about listening to a new album, my K702's are MORE excited to reproduce it in as lively a manner as possible.

<3

Don't tell my Senn 600's, but I think they may have finally been edged out as my favorite pair :-/

701s were incredibly detailed and neutral to the point of boring, right? I'm guessing these aren't?

poweld

Davidion said:
701s were incredibly detailed and neutral to the point of boring, right? I'm guessing these aren't?
To be honest, I thought my 702's were fairly boring at first for the same reason. I can't honestly say if my change in opinion is due to burn-in or my tastes changing, but I certainly don't think they're boring now.

I still find them very neutral, by the definition of the word, and respond equally to the majority of the frequency range. However, on the same note, they are not as lacking as many think on the low end. Lately the spry and accurate low end has been more satisfying than the more laid back and bloated lows of the HD600.

As far as I know, the 701's and 702's are identical with regard to components, barring the detachable cabling, but I haven't actually compared the two myself.

HiResDes said:
They are all pretty bad, especially if you're thinking about using them in a library. Heck, I'd even be weary of using some closed cans in a library.

Ok cool, looks like I'll just use them at home.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
I have a question. I have Grado SR60s (which I'm very happy with) that I mostly use with my iPhone. Would I benefit at all from having an amp? If so, any recommendations?

Are the SR60's comfortable? I was thinking I might be buying those from Amazon soon.

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
I have a question. I have Grado SR60s (which I'm very happy with) that I mostly use with my iPhone. Would I benefit at all from having an amp? If so, any recommendations?
The SR60s aren't in need of an amp since they are pretty efficient, however, you'll benefit from better sound from your iPhone if you go the amped route. If you pick up a LOD and connect to an amp, you'll bypass the crappy internal Opamp circuitry and get a better signal. The bass'll be better and you'll get better soundstaging etc.

LCfiner

Stat Flow said:
Are the SR60's comfortable? I was thinking I might be buying those from Amazon soon.

I got a pair of Alessandro MS-1's. exact same shells and band as the SR60s. they are super comfortable once you stretch the metal headband slightly to exert less pressure on your ears. if you don't do this, they might seem really tight and uncomfortable

the default comfy pads that come with the Grados are very soft on the ears and help the comfort level as well

dblaze503

So my Sennheiser 595's broke and I'm looking to upgrade. These are for my computer and I listen to a lot of techno/trance. I've done some research and leaning towards the Denon AH-D2000. I Kinda what get closed headphones, but not a big issue. My budget is $300-400
and might get an amp down the road. You guys think thats a good set of headphones for my needs or what else would you recommend? Thanks.

VALIS

I was considering selling my Denon AH-D5000s after a few weeks because they seem to be going for $700 almost everywhere now (got mine for $400) and I wasn't crazy about them at first. I know they supposedly have a long 100-200 hour burn-in time, but usually you can get a decent sense of how new cans will be fairly soon.

After a month of letting them break in, jesus fucking christ. Really the nicest pair I've owned, like 'em better than the Sen HD600s, AKG 701s, a few nice in-ear monitors and whatever else I've had over the years. Very warm, sweet sound, which I think is the way to go rather than neutral when your primary sources are mp3s.

JxktT.png

(not my pic, but it will be someday since I want one of those peachtree deccos badly)

Ashhong

K.Jack said:
My experience with the E5 vs E7 was this:

The E5 doesn't bring anything out of decent cans, but it can certainly help IEMs, especially those that need help with a little bit of low end umph. Anyone with an M50, HD25, TMA-1 etc will get nothing out of this amp.

Whoaaaa. Can anybody confirm this? I've read a few people suggest the E5 who have decent cans and do notice a difference..

Ashhong

Dreams-Visions said:
I have my E5 around somewhere. I'll try it with the M50 and let you know.

Gracias. I did that test mentioned earlier and listened to my PC with no sound on, and I did hear a fair bit of static/noise. However, portability is too important I think, for whenever I'm on the go so I think I need to get the E5 rather than the E7. I can just use my stereo as my amp for my PC anyway.

But that little review scared me haha.

Top Bottom