• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

65th Primetime Emmys | Hosted by Neil Patrick Harris | Sept. 22 8e/5p

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Hmmm.

Agree to disagree. I thought Homeland Season 2 was really awful. You saw a clear shift in tone/style from the writers, and it wasn't even done in a smart way.

It's heart was in the wrong place but the execution of that misplaced intent wasn't bad at all. The second half of the season was like a decent season of 24. Only problem was that this show isn't 24.

I think it's probably on par with House of Cards. Or even Mad Men's S6 which is half Weiner coasting on 4 seasons of goodwill, half Weiner frantically doing everything in his power to retroactively ruin Don's character.

So I guess that leaves BB 5.1. Meh.

Kevin Spacey is going to steal Cranston's emmy and it will be a travesty, Hamm I would be okay with. If Homeland wins anything its a joke

In my dream world a Spacey win would be greeted with the entire audience going "Boooooo, Bitch."

ivysaur12 said:
Be careful, dead souls doesn't like Parks anymore.

Yeah, any Parks wins would definitely be legacy awards since the last two seasons haven't been up to the season 2/3 standards, but I'd still take them winning over Girls or Modern Family any day.

Be careful, dead souls doesn't like Parks anymore.
I agree with you, but more on Poehler's snub.

I'm honestly not as fond of it as I used to be (it peaked in Season 3 and has cooled off quite a bit since), but it's still great and its perpetual snub status is appalling.

I'd love to see Louie break Modern Family's chokehold on the comedy categories, but I'm not expecting it. I don't really dislike Modern Family, but I'm perplexed by the Emmys' obsession with it.

I'd love to see Archer get nominated just once for Best Comedy (since apparently Family Guy is the best animated comedy ever made), but that's never going to happen.

Something else I would love to see is The Daily Show not winning its category for the millionth time. Colbert's been better for years now. He deserves to win.

Raxus

Did they? The AV Club at least gave every episode either an A or B.

Weird maybe it was GAF's impressions but once the whole car accident plot happened I hopped out of the show. Good will lost. That being said I stand by my statement that it is going home today with nothing.

Is there any hope for Laura Dern to win? I hope she wins :(

I would love for her to tie with Tina Fey but when all is said and done you have to remember.

Nobody watched Enlightened. :(

Courage

70b54312235911e39dfb22000a9e5ac6_7.jpg

Kraftwerk

Jon Hamm must win.

Mad Men season 6 spoilers
He was simply incredible in the Hershey's pitch. Would be such a shame if he didn't win. I fucking teared up and went and bought a Hershey bar because of him ;___;

Snake

What I want, not what I expect to happen:

Outstanding Drama Series
Breaking Bad - AMC: deserves it
or
Game Of Thrones - HBO: just because I'd like it to get some recognition tonight

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series
Bryan Cranston as Walter White on Breaking Bad: deserves it
or
Jon Hamm as Don Draper on Mad Men: just because I'd like him to get some recognition tonight :p

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series
Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman on Breaking Bad: I almost wanted to give it to Mandy Patinkin since he's the only thing about Homeland S2 that really held up, but still.

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series
Elisabeth Moss as Peggy Olson on Mad Men

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series
Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen on Game of Thrones: if they were judging purely off of the end of episode 4, she'd be a contender. One of the best scenes I've seen this year, but VVV
Anna Gunn as Skyler White on Breaking Bad: 5.1 was her best season for my money. She deserves it here even more than for 5.2; so far at least. With the bonus of making Skyler-haters blow a gasket.

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series
Game of Thrones (Episode: "The Rains of Castamere"), Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (HBO)

Outstanding Comedy Series
30 Rock - NBC

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series
Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series
Tony Hale as Gary Walsh on Veep
or
Bill Hader as Various Characters on Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series
Laura Dern as Amy Jellicoe on Enlightened
or
Tina Fey as Liz Lemon on 30 Rock: tough call on this one. Fey deserves all the love she can get, but Dern would be the win that would make me stand up and cheer.

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series
Jane Krakowski as Jenna Maroney on 30 Rock: i like jenna, but this was also sort of a weak list for this category

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series
30 Rock (Episode: "Last Lunch"), Written by Tina Fey & Tracey Wigfield (NBC)

Outstanding Miniseries or Movie
American Horror Story: Asylum (FX)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
Michael Douglas as Liberace on Behind the Candelabra

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
James Cromwell as Dr. Arthur Arden / Hans Grüper on American Horror Story: Asylum

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie
Jessica Lange as Sister Jude / Judy Martin on American Horror Story: Asylum: no brainer

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie
Sarah Paulson as Lana Winters on American Horror Story: Asylum: no brainer pt 2!

Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special
Behind the Candelabra, Written by Richard LaGravenese (HBO)

Outstanding Variety Series
The Colbert Report (Comedy Central)

Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Comedy Central)

Outstanding Reality - Competition Program
Top Chef - (Bravo)

Won't be able to watch this tonight since all the tuners on my DVR are already taken. I guess I'll check out the highlights online. And I'm sure my mom will call about a dozen times to say "are you kidding me! He/she won? This is a travesty!!!," so it'll be like I watched it anyway.

Lothar

Banned
Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen on Game of Thrones: if they were judging purely off of the end of episode 4, she'd be a contender. One of the best scenes I've seen this year, but VVV
Anna Gunn as Skyler White on Breaking Bad: 5.1 was her best season for my money. She deserves it here even more than for 5.2; so far at least. With the bonus of making Skyler-haters blow a gasket.

I don't think there are many Skyler haters left after the past few episodes. But Anna deserves it. Emilia Clarke isn't even the most outstanding actress on her own show. The nomination definitely should have went to Fairley. Clarke going the nom over Fairley makes the whole category seem like a farce.

Game of Thrones (Episode: "The Rains of Castamere"), Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (HBO)

Why? The best parts of it were just word for word from the book.

ivysaur12

Banned
Who I want to win:

Breaking Bad

Cranston or Hamm. Either one works. Don't make me choose.

Aaron Paul

Kerry Fucking Washington

Anna Gunn or Christina Hendricks

"Dead Freight" or "Q&A"

30 Rock

Louie C.K.

Bill Hader

Tina Fey or Laura Dern

Jane Krakowski

"Last Lunch"

Fey

Banned
So is Game of Thrones really the "favourite" to win best drama, as GRRM said? I assumed it was BB or maybe even HoC or something.

Outstanding Drama Series

House of Cards - Netflix

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series

Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood on House of Cards

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series

Bobby Cannavale as Gyp Rosetti on Boardwalk Empire

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series

Elisabeth Moss as Peggy Olson on Mad Men

Christine Baranski as Diane Lockhart on The Good Wife

Homeland (Episode: "Q&A"), Written by Henry Bromell (Showtime)

Outstanding Comedy Series

Louie - FX

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series

Jason Bateman as Michael Bluth on Arrested Development

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series

None of the nominees

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series

Laura Dern as Amy Jellicoe on Enlightened

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series

None of the nominees

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series

Louie (Episode: "Daddy's Girlfriend, Part 1"), Written by Pamela Adlon & Louis C.K. (FX)

Outstanding Miniseries or Movie

American Horror Story: Asylum (FX)

My picks.

So is Game of Thrones really the "favourite" to win best drama, as GRRM said? I assumed it was BB or maybe even HoC or something.

Did GRRM really say that?

Because that isn't true at all. Of the six nominees, I'd say only Downton has a smaller chance of winning.

Omega

Banned
Bobby Cannavale has to win. His performance as Gyp Rosetti pretty much made last season of Boardwalk

Anna Gunn better not win over Christina Hendricks either.

Fey

Banned
Did GRRM really say that?

Because that isn't true at all. Of the six nominees, I'd say only Downton has a smaller chance of winning.

Yeah

I think GAME OF THRONES may have a shot at upsetting BB for this year's Emmy (only a shot, though, I think they are the clear favorite), which pits us against their previous season... but there's no way in hell that anyone is going to defeat BREAKING BAD next year, when their last season is the one in contention.

Admittedly, trying to handicap the Emmys is a mug's game. You never know. But for what it's worth, I think this year is our best chance of actually winning one. Given the splash the Red Wedding made, our profile is likely as high as it is ever going to be. We had a great season. If the Academy is ever going to give their ultimate accolade to a fantasy show (something that is by no means certain), it's going to be this year, I think.

But we'll see. BREAKING BAD, MAD MEN, DOWNTON ABBEY, HOMELAND, and HOUSE OF CARDS will have something to say about that as well. All good shows, I think. A couple are great shows. HOMELAND is the defending champ, MAD MEN's won four, and HOUSE OF CARDS has that whole "gamechanger" thing going for it. Should be an interesting race. We'll all know on September 22.

jtb

Banned
Jon Hamm must win.

Mad Men season 6 spoilers
He was simply incredible in the Hershey's pitch. Would be such a shame if he didn't win. I fucking teared up and went and bought a Hershey bar because of him ;___;

Really? I thought that was one of the worst moments of the series so far. I didn't like what they were going for and I didn't like the execution.

Or has watched the three shows in the category that are better than it.

(And I like House of Cards.)

Meaning? Downton Abbey is the only one I haven't watched.
House Of Cards and The Americans were the best shows this year by far.
Also Justified and Boardwalk Empire are a great miss. Mad Men was sometime disappointing, Homeland blew up at the end, Breaking Bad was good but not THAT good, Game Of Thrones is overrated as fuck. So... Yeah, House Of Cards.

iammeiam

House Of Cards must win and who disagrees hasn't watched it.

I wouldn't put House of Cards as the best of the nominees; I won't rage if it wins but I'm hoping something more deserving gets it. Basic quality comparisons aside, I also kind of don't want it to win because I'd rather have the superior Orange is the New Black be the first Netflix show to win a best series title.

Meaning? Downton Abbey is the only one I haven't watched.
House Of Cards and The Americans were the best shows this year by far.
Also Justified and Boardwalk Empire are a great miss. Mad Men was sometime disappointing, Homeland blew up at the end, Breaking Bad was good but not THAT good, Game Of Thrones is overrated as fuck. So... Yeah, House Of Cards.

House of Cards isn't even the best Netflix original series.

It's a great show, no doubt, and I won't be particularly angry if it wins, but it's outclassed by Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and yes, Game of Thrones, in that category.

House Of Cards must win and who disagrees hasn't watched it.

what-no-gif.gif

House of Cards close to be the worst one nominated. It's spot should have gone to Justified or Broadchurch (although I'm not sure about the cut off for this one).

Haven't watch it, is it really that good?
Anyway Netflix should win with both House Of Cards and Arrested Development. Sadly, and incredibly, the second isn't nominated. With Louie it was the best this year.

30 Rock Season 7 was better then Arrested Development S4 by a mile.

I wouldn't put House of Cards as the best of the nominees; I won't rage if it wins but I'm hoping something more deserving gets it. Basic quality comparisons aside, I also kind of don't want it to win because I'd rather have the superior Orange is the New Black be the first Netflix show to win a best series title.

Anyway Netflix should win with both House Of Cards and Arrested Development. Sadly, and incredibly, the second isn't nominated. With Louie it was the best this year.

House of Cards isn't even the best Netflix original series.

It's a great show, no doubt, and I won't be particularly angry if it wins, but it's outclassed by Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and yes, Game of Thrones, in that category.

Aw come on, not Game Of Thrones. Most dull season yet, basically only one thing happened and everyone lost his shit without any reason.

jtb

Banned
House of Cards has its glorious 100m budget and David Fincher/Kevin Spacey going for it, but on the other hand, it's got some pretty poor writing. I was not convinced of Willimon before I saw House of Cards, and I sure as hell am not convinced after watching it that he is cut out to be a showrunner.

It's by far the prettiest show nominated and probably one of the best directed. But at its core, it's a pretty lacking show.

And, as my avatar suggests, I say that as a big Fincher fan. I enjoyed it a lot, but it's got some glaring flaws.

Still don't understand why Clarke was submitted over Fairley, who had an amazing season (and individual episode in ep9). Clarke graduated from the Emma Watson school of overacting.

Yeah, whoops, I thought it was the other way around and he said GoT was the clear favourite. :p

I forgot all about Downton Abbey. I hope it, BB, or GoT win.

S'alright.

GRRM must be a relatively new Emmy watcher, which is surprising, given his history in TV. But really, the four shows battling it out for Best Drama are Mad Men, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, and (sadly) Homeland. Downton Abbey and Game of Thrones don't have a snowball's chance in Hell.

I think House of Cards will probably take it.

iammeiam

OitNB is an excellent show, and I'd argue the best thing Netflix has made so far. It had a really solid first season, and is just a well-put-together show with a decent emotional core. It's a very different show from HoC, but extremely worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom