• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8 people dead in rural Mississippi mass shooting including sheriffs deputy.

McLovin

That's one of my main beefs with religion. That little forgiveness loop that everyone uses to do evil shit. It's why the extremely religious get caught doing things they aren't suppose to. Because they think there's a loop hole and they will get to heaven anyway. If there was a god it wouldn't be that stupid.

MCN

Banned
What is with the dumb comments about terrorism?

Certain people looking for a reason to feel outraged, as if the murder of eight people isn't reason enough.

Terrorism implies a political motive. This does not have a political motive, ergo it is not terrorism.

Socreges

Banned
Certain people looking for a reason to feel outraged, as if the murder of eight people isn't reason enough.

Terrorism implies a political motive. This does not have a political motive, ergo it is not terrorism.
More likely they're trying too eagerly to make a point about prejudicial classifications of what is terrorism and what isn't.

Except this very obviously isn't terrorism.

Aselith

A mississippi madman? What happened to "a mississippi terrorist"?

That was part of the writing issues I was talking about. "Mississippi madman" and "callously confessed" were used because they are alliterative flourishes not because they actually added anything. Just weird grammar and mistakes everywhere.

Two Words

Man goes on killing spree, doesn't care about dying, and says god will forgive him. This sounds a lot like religious extremist terrori......Oh wait. He's not a Muslim. He's just some guy with a mental disorder or something.

/s

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No one should solely blame religion for this, but obviously we're going to see a lot of the same people who blame religion for the acts of terrorists blame anything but religion in this case.

I mean sure, maybe there's some truth to that notion, and maybe he wouldn't have done this if he wasn't Christian, but I don't see the practical solution to the religious part of the problem.

Sensible gun control is a practical step that can be taken. Take laws like we have here in MA and make them federal. I appreciate that guns are currently too deeply ingrained in American culture to attempt any sort of a ban, but that doesn't mean you just let anyone and everyone get whatever gun they want, whenever they want it.

You say yourself there is a difference. One was done to appease a god, the other one was done despite his god.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Man goes on killing spree, doesn't care about dying, and says god will forgive him. This sounds a lot like religious extremist terrori......Oh wait. He's not a Muslim. He's just some guy with a mental disorder or something.

/s

Again there is a dramatic difference. Nice false equivalence to suit your agenda. There are extremist terrorists from other religions, but again this guy was not doing this to please his god or in the name of God, he was doing it despite what his god wants on the presumption that he'll forgive him anyways. If you guys really don't see a difference you need to open your eyes.

Two Words

Again there is a dramatic difference. Nice false equivalence to suit your agenda. There are extremist terrorists from other religions, but again this guy was not doing this to please his god or in the name of God, he was doing it despite what his god wants on the presumption that he'll forgive him anyways. If you guys really don't see a difference you need to open your eyes.
I see anybody that wants to kill as many people as possible as a terrorist. And if he truly did this because he feels god will forgive him, then it had religious motivations.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I see anybody that wants to kill as many people as possible as a terrorist. And if he truly did this because he feels god will forgive him, then it had religious motivations.

You're objectively wrong. His god will forgive him... Why would his god forgive him? Because he did something wrong. Where as jihadists are killing in the name of God, or doing gods duty. You can't honestly tell me you don't see the difference.

Crazyorloco

I wonder if this will spark any conversation on father's rights and custody. Many fathers just deal with the limited visits, disappear, or commit suicide. He dealt with this horribly.

RIP to the victims

Two Words

You're objectively wrong. His god will forgive him... Why would his god forgive him? Because he did something wrong. Where as jihadists are killing in the name of God, or doing gods duty. You can't honestly tell me you don't see the difference.
They can be different acts and still be terrorism or religious extremist terrorism.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They can be different acts and still be terrorism or religious extremist terrorism.

Huh? That's not what were discussing. The reason people aren't calling him a religious terrorist is because he didn't do this in order to appease his god or fulfill his gods wishes... Whereas other recent attacks were done in the name of the lord, to fulfill their religious duty and be rewarded for their work.

Two Words

Huh? That's not what were discussing. The reason people aren't calling him a religious terrorist is because he didn't do this in order to appease his god or fulfill his gods wishes... Whereas other recent attacks were done in the name of the lord, to fulfill their religious duty and be rewarded for their work.
Who says that the only way that something can be religious extremism if it is done to appease a god or for a god? Why is that THE only way to classify something as religious extremism. It seems perfectly natural to declare something as religious extremism if it has taught you that only god's judgement matters and even murder will be forgiven by him if you do it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So far this week:

- God condones the rape of 10 year old girls
- God condones mass murder

We're on a roll!

Ughh I get it, but there is an inherent difference between forgiveness and supporting/encouraging. Do I need to explain why they're different?

Ultryx

Hey asshole, if there's a God, he/she/it is sending your ass straight to hell. You don't get how this works do you?

If a God is willing to forgive murder -- fucking murder...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Who says that the only way that something can be religious extremism if it is done to appease a god or for a god? Why is that THE only way to classify something as religious extremism. It seems perfectly natural to declare something as religious extremism if it has taught you that only god's judgement matters and even murder will be forgiven by him if you do it.

Good god youre so wrong. On one side they're committing these crimes because they believe they need to in order to reach their heaven or make their god happy. On the other side you have a man who killed people after losing his children and was under the impression his god would forgive him.

Think of it this way, your parents tell you to steal something, you get in trouble say you did it for your parents. Then you have somebody who steals something knowing their parents will forgive them. Do you not see the difference? If not I have nothing left for you.

Skyzard

Banned
This guy wasn't trying to be a martyr. He wanted some senseless killing and thought his God would forgive him. That is religious motivation but it's not political afaik.

Two Words

Good god youre so wrong. On one side they're committing these crimes because they believe they need to in order to reach their heaven or make their god happy. On the other side you have a man who killed people after losing his children and was under the impression his god would forgive him.

Think of it this way, your parents tell you to steal something, you get in trouble say you did it for your parents. Then you have somebody who steals something knowing their parents will forgive them. Do you not see the difference? If not I have nothing left for you.

You have the attitude that religious extremism can only exist in one very small way and anybody who believes it is more broad than that is wrong. I don't care if the two acts are different. That doesn't mean they can't both be classified as religious extremism. You've given no argument why they should actually be classified as different things outside of you simply think so. My argument is that they are both extreme actions that are enabled by religious teachings.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You have the attitude that religious extremism can only exist in one very small way and anybody who believes it is more broad than that is wrong. I don't care if the two acts are different. That doesn't mean they can't both be classified as religious extremism. You've given no argument why they should actually be classified as different things outside of you simply think so. My argument is that they are both extreme actions that are enabled by religious teachings.

Whatever you're wrong sorry. Being told to do something vs. doing something despite their wishes is dramatically different.

I know what religious extremism is. This was not motivated by religion. His religion didn't stop him, but it didn't enable him. One religion says don't do that, the other says, do that and you'll be rewarded. Anybody but us are the enemy.

Two Words

I can't see this as terrorism... There is no political motive here?

?

The man committed these murders because of how the legal system has handled his child custody. That is actively fighting against our legal system.

Whatever you're wrong sorry. Being told to do something vs. doing something despite their wishes is dramatically different.

I know what religious extremism is. This was not motivated by religion. His religion didn't stop him, but it didn't enable him. One religion says don't do that, the other says, do that and you'll be rewarded. Anybody but us are the enemy.

Do you think Islam falls into this latter description?

Even still, all you've continued to do is say how two things are different. Things being different doesn't mean they are categorically different. It's like if I said 4 and 82 are both even numbers, but you kept going on how they cannot be even numbers because 4 does not equal 82.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
We apparently need religion to be better humans. Apparently.

Izayoi

Banned
Ughh I get it, but there is an inherent difference between forgiveness and supporting/encouraging. Do I need to explain why they're different?
What's to stop people if they know that God will "forgive" them for "repenting"?

Isn't that implicitly letting this kind of behavior slide?

I don't really give a shit if you feel "sorry" about it, you still raped a child or killed innocent people. Being "sorry" does not change the fact that you were a piece of shit human being.

Kaban

“I ain’t fit to live, not after what I done,” he said. “Not in y’all eyes, not in nobody else’s eyes. But God, you know, he forgives you for everything.”

Geez, that almost sounds like a villain quote from a movie.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What's to stop people if they know that God will "forgive" them for "repenting"?

Isn't that implicitly letting this kind of behavior slide?

I don't really give a shit if you feel "sorry" about it, you still raped a child or killed innocent people.

God is a hypocritical cunt, if you ask me.

Oh don't get me wrong here I totally agree with you. Religions purpose failed here. Saying it enabled it is wrong though. The two messages here are different. One says don't kill but if you do I'll still forgive you, where the other says please kill the infidels.

I'm an equal opportunity religion hater. Nothing against religious people, just the flaws in the ideology. In this case I don't blame religion for the act, where the other guy strapping a bomb on his chest in the name of God? Yeah I think that's probably a factor.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

When the guy himself admits to taking solace in the fact that God will forgive him... Yes, it did.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
When the guy himself admits to taking solace in the fact that God will forgive him... Yes, it did.

I don't know what else to say. He knows he did wrong by his god, he's not saying he did it because God wanted him to. I'm at a complete loss how you guys can't see that difference it's really astounding to me. His religion didn't stop anything, but it didn't fuel anything either.

Two Words

I don't know what else to say. He knows he did wrong by his god, he's not saying he did it because God wanted him to. I'm at a complete loss how you guys can't see that difference it's really astounding to me. His religion didn't stop anything, but it didn't fuel anything either.

Because
the
definition
of
religious
extremism
is
not
just
that
god
literally
told
you
to
do
something.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Because
the
definition
of
religious
extremism
is
not
just
that
god
literally
told
you
to
do
something.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Agreed extremism is extremely ambiguous and can contain pretty much all religion. That being said one reason one is seen as a religious terrorist and the other isn't is extremely clear. Some of it is fearongerong and prejudice. For most though it's that one was done because God told him to.

So...are the people in this thread calling this "Christian terrorism" actually believe that or are they trying to make some point?

Because if they do believe that, they should have no problem calling things "Islamic terrorism". I thought this kind of thinking was "wrong"?

I don't see how this is any different than morons in other threads, ignoring the victims of these heinous acts to push their agenda. It's wrong when they do it, and it's wrong here.

cameron

Two of the victims were children.
Authorities identified Lincoln County sheriff's deputy William Durr, 36, as the slain officer according to the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation

The MBI said the shootings started around 11:30 p.m. at an address in Bogue Chitto, where the deputy and three females were found dead.

Another crime scene was found in Brookhaven, where the bodies of two boys were found. A third crime scene is at another address, where a man and a woman were found dead.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/28/us/mississippi-mass-shooting/index.html

Two Words

Agreed extremism is extremely ambiguous and can contain pretty much all religion. That being said one reason one is seen as a religious terrorist and the other isn't is extremely clear. Some of it is fearongerong and prejudice. For most though it's that one was done because God told him to.

You should have just stopped at acknowledging that it is fear-mongering and prejudice. Because lets be real here. If this man was Islamic and said that "Allah shall forgive me", we'd have "TERRORISM STRIKES IN MISSISSIPPI!" coverage 24 hours a day for a while.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
You should have just stopped at acknowledging that it is fear-mongering and prejudice. Because lets be real here. If this man was Islamic and said that "Allah shall forgive me", we'd have "TERRORISM STRIKES IN MISSISSIPPI!" coverage 24 hours a day for a while.
This is the reality here.

Hope this monster goes away forever btw.

8 people died including children and some people ITT are like "hey guys if this man was a Muslim this and if this man was a Muslim that" smh

It's horrible enough as it is, stop trying to make this about something that it is not.

Two Words

8 people died including children and some people ITT are like "hey guys if this man was a Muslim this and if this man was a Muslim that" smh

It's horrible enough as it is, stop trying to make this about something that it is not.

My whole point is that our country obsesses over "ISLAMIC TERRORISM!" when we have tragedies like this happening in our country every day. We have so much of our politics invested in sacred gun rights never being touched while ignoring the severe mental health issues that get mixed in with gun violence. But that's all okay because "ISLAMIC TERRORISM!" is the true enemy!

Top Bottom