• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

85th Academy Awards Nominations - Results are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

Looks that way going by history and how Life Is Beautiful faired in 1998.

Here are the odds on Best Picture win:-

BEST PICTURE ODDS

Lincoln - 1/2
Les Miserables - 4/1
Zero Dark Thirty - 5/1
Argo - 7/1
Silver Linings Playbook - 28/1
Life of Pi - 33/1
Amour - 50/1
Beasts of the Southern Wild - 66/1
Django Unchained - 66/1

Highlighting SLP purely on what price it is there. Shouldn't be anywhere near that big.

I'm not sure it'll win, but that's spectacular.

Give it to them when they deserve it, not this year. In 2005, yes. In 2011 too though Arthur Christmas wasn't even nominated then.

The Pirates! was certainly better than Brave, Para-Norman and Frankenweenie (although Para-Norman was pretty fucking good too).

Wreck-It-Ralph still isn't out yet over here, though, which I imagine is probably the winner here. I'm just rooting for my fellow Brits.

injurai

Banned
Lincoln better win everything that its in.

Daniel Day Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones deserve awards for their roles. (sorry Hugh, close second...)

qindarka

Banned
Agreed.
Call me crazy, but Wreck it Ralph should be in best picture noms too, not just cos were here on a game forum neither. If TS3 (overrated sappy garbage) got it, WIR sure should have.

I do think it's better than TS3 and the best Western animated film of the year but don't think it merited a BP nomination, not that it ever had a chance.

injurai

Banned
Sorry about the false list.

Will not trust Yahoo anymore. :p

You'll work the dry docks for 10 years
LLShC.gif

Wes

venison crêpe
Get ready to hear "Academy Award nominee Bradley Cooper" on trailers for the next 30 years.

SamVimes

Looks that way going by history and how Life Is Beautiful faired in 1998.

Here are the odds on Best Picture win:-

BEST PICTURE ODDS

Lincoln - 1/2
Les Miserables - 4/1
Zero Dark Thirty - 5/1
Argo - 7/1
Silver Linings Playbook - 28/1
Life of Pi - 33/1
Amour - 50/1
Beasts of the Southern Wild - 100/1
Django Unchained - 100/1

Highlighting SLP purely on what price it is there. Shouldn't be anywhere near that big.

Wher did you find those?

fuenf

I guess, as along as Amour / Lincoln doesnt win, this could be the first time since 2007 I'll actually watch / be interested in the best picture winner.

BowieZ

Banned
I'm sure Bradley Cooper is really attractive/good-looking in person, but I guess photos don't really do him justice. I can't find one single picture of him that I'm like "wow".

Or maybe this is because I can't unsee his lopsided eyes.

bradley-cooper-the-words.jpg

lol

That's fine too, Charles. He's a handsome dude. But I genuinely am and have been a big fan of his for years. Glad to see him finally getting some props.

Haven't given him a chance on his acting, but never thought he was a bad actor. I want to watch SLP, maybe one day it will come here. lol.

qindarka

Banned
It's not between WIR and Pirates.
It's between WIR and Paranorman and Frankenweenie, the latter two of which are mediocre.

3N16MA

Banned
There are a couple films in the best film category that I still need to see.

Cooper has moved up from being a member of the audience and asking Penn questions.

It's not between WIR and Pirates.
It's between WIR and Paranorman and Frankenweenie, the latter two of which are mediocre.

Frankenweenie isn't mediocre, it's bad. Baaaaaaaaaaad. Bad!

Seeing as Corpse Bride is far and away my favourite Burton film, I fucking hate Frankenweenie. :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
For the record, a movie hasn't won Best Picture without also being nominated for Best Director since Driving Miss Daisy in 1989.

ColR100

Wher did you find those?

Oddschecker, but quoted from William Hill. They've fluctuated since, and SLP has been cut in to 25's. ZDT has been pushed out further to 7/1 now...they think it'll be just between Les Mis and Lincoln then.

SLP probably won't win, but might be worth a little play at that price.

The best director nominations totally confuse me. With that said, I'm extremely happy for SLP, that movie deserves all the praise it's getting. Lincoln on the other hand (apart from DDL) doesn't

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I thought the Oscars were cancelled after the greatness of Battleship made them obsolete? When the movie of eternity comes out it is pointless to give awards to the decimated scraps it's perfection left behind.

Truly surprised by no Bigelow for director and the inclusion of Jaoquin in best actor. That hurts ZD30's chance at best picture and all the thing J. said didn't end up hurting him. He still received a nomitayion for his performance, which I've heard is very good in The Master.

ColR100

I think the issue with Lincoln and Les Mis is that the type of film both are could potentially split the vote with having it as the first choice.

This could then bring in films like SLP and Life of Pi. Both would be very strong second choice candidates for voters i'd imagine.

I'm just hoping for a Best Picture win upset in all honesty.

Cheebo

Banned
I think the issue with Lincoln and Les Mis is that the type of film both are would split the potential vote here who pick it as their first choice.

This could then bring in films like SLP and Life of Pi. Both would be very strong second choice candidates for voters i'd imagine.

Except Les Mis isn't really a contender at all. It's Lincoln, SLP, and Life of Pi. Movies like Les Mis always get lots of tech nominations but the lack of best director shows Les Mis support is pretty minimal for the the big catgories, it's a non-factor in the best picture race.

SLP and Pi are up there but this is Lincoln's race to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom