• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

85th Academy Awards Nominations - Results are up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truly surprised by no Bigelow for director and the inclusion of Joaquin in best actor. That hurts ZD30's chance at best picture and all the thing J. said didn't end up hurting him. He still received a nomitayion for his performance, which I've heard is very good in The Master.

They still own him for Gladiator... Biggest Oscar Snub.

Aselith

Sally Fields was fucking AWFUL in Lincoln. They must be trolling. Good to see Life of Pi get a lot of recognition. I feel like Dredd should gotten nominated for best sound editing/ mixing though.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Except Les Mis isn't really a contender at all. It's Lincoln, SLP, and Life of Pi. Movies like Les Mis always get lots of tech nominations but the lack of best director shows Les Mis support is pretty minimal for the the big catgories, it's a non-factor in the best picture race.

SLP and Pi are up there but this is Lincoln's race to lose.

I can see SLP pulling it off if only because Russell was passed over the last few times.

What are the odds of a Quvenzhane Wallis upset?

Low. She's the very candidate that the academy awards love but she's so young and has only been in one movie.

How in the hell did Wally Pfister not get a nomination for Best Cinematography for The Dark Knight Rises? Say what you will about the film if you hated it or whatever, but the camera work in that film was incredible. Couple that with Ben Affleck not getting nominated for Best Director? Pathetic! I feel the Academy is usually a joke anyway, but those two really piss me off. I don't necessarily hate the nominations throughout, but those two just annoy me.

Seeing Bradley Cooper nominated for Best Actor is straight up bizarre. Awesome, but bizarre.

Szu

Battle for Best Actress between the youngest nominee ever vs the oldest nominee ever.

It's going to be a real barn burner.

UberTag

The Best Director category is like one colossal snub.
Everyone's reaction to it has been, "Oh there's Spielberg and... OMG where the hell is everyone else?!?"
KuGsj.gif

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Genuinely thought Skyfall may have gotten something. I think Lincoln and Les Mis are the two big contenders. It's a great line up for Best Picture all the same though.

Silver Linings Playbook is the first film to get a nomination in all 4 acting categories in decades.

It's got a good cast. Certainly I don't think either Cooper or Lawrence are the *best actor* but they were both really good throughout I thought.

jett

D-Member
Cloud Atlas should've got a nom for best score. I imagine the movie wasn't put in consideration for noms at all.

Eidan

Silver Linings Playbook is the first film to get a nomination in all 4 acting categories in decades.

Damn, seems like you're right. I've seen a lot of movies come close (Million Dollar Baby, Chicago, Adaptation, The Hours, and In the Bedroom), but none hit all four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom