• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Gunloc said:
So I just stayed up all night getting the true ending. All I can say is wow.

This game is phenomenal. It's a MUST play for anyone with any interest in adventure games, visual novels or just extremely excellent video game experiences.

I'd like to talk more about it, but now I must sleep.

Wow indeed :D! Be sure to ask the creators a question on the official 999 site if you have any!

hipgnosis said:
Imported this from Play-Asia, hope they will get this in stock soon.

So Akselziys is there any way us non-US customers could get that preorder watch delivered here in the EU? :D

Unfortunately not from us directly :( You'd need an address in the continental US or a friend that can order it and then send it your way. Otherwise your best bet would be Ebay :(

Celine

Aksys is there the last wallpaper on the official site but without the pumpkins mock-up ?

Also how is the stock situation ? Axel still haven't shipped mine ...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Finally got all endings. Awesome game!

A few questions left so I'm wondering if anyone else can back me up on this:

What was the sound that Snake heard in the first-class suite behind Door 5? The guy that Ace killed later in Door 3? Or just the general additional people on the ship besides themselves?

Who rigged and later fixed the REDs in the hospital room? Was it just a trap to trick Ace into killing one of his former colleagues?

Was Alice just a complete red herring the whole time? In the end, she really had no direct connection to anything that happened in the story.

Kind of odd how Lotus basically played the smallest part in the entire story. She had almost no connection to the first Nonary Game. Why was she there? Besides to just fill up the (8) slot.

Why did June and Santa change up the numbers on their bracelets? Why did the bracelets on Ace's accomplices read different numbers from what they really were?

Probably more questions as I think more later.

Volcynika

Akuun said:
Finally got all endings. Awesome game!

A few questions left so I'm wondering if anyone else can back me up on this:

What was the sound that Snake heard in the first-class suite behind Door 5? The guy that Ace killed later in Door 3? Or just the general additional people on the ship besides themselves?

Who rigged and later fixed the REDs in the hospital room? Was it just a trap to trick Ace into killing one of his former colleagues?

Was Alice just a complete red herring the whole time? In the end, she really had no direct connection to anything that happened in the story.

Kind of odd how Lotus basically played the smallest part in the entire story. She had almost no connection to the first Nonary Game. Why was she there? Besides to just fill up the (8) slot.

Why did June and Santa change up the numbers on their bracelets? Why did the bracelets on Ace's accomplices read different numbers from what they really were?

Probably more questions as I think more later.

Lotus' children were in the Nonary Game, she was just another 'good' person and a different dynamic compared to people involved in the Nonary Game, and she got a sort of closure from seeing what it was and how it happened. She was frustrated and couldn't talk to her children about it and was concerned as to what they exactly went through.

Lain

Well, my copy from VG+ shipped, I hope they'll pull another miracle, since they got a game to me in like a week last December, but I'm ready to get my hands on it only in early January :lol QQ

This will be my second Aksys game. I hope I'm contributing to some future console VN projects!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:
Lotus' children were in the Nonary Game, she was just another 'good' person and a different dynamic compared to people involved in the Nonary Game, and she got a sort of closure from seeing what it was and how it happened. She was frustrated and couldn't talk to her children about it and was concerned as to what they exactly went through.

Don't forget, if either of you have questions about 999 for the creators, you can submit a question via the official 999 site :D

http://www.aksysgames.com/999

We'll be taking questions until December 23rd, after which we'll be sending them Chunsoft's way. So ask away! :D

Volcynika

I'll consider it! I'll have to wait till the weekend probably, so busy at work (I'm on lunch break you can't make fun of me!)

Alright, I've been reading everyone's theories, and there is a lot of good stuff out there.

One quick question, it might not really be that relevant but I can't stop thinking about it.

*True End Spoilers*

Why did Lotus call Akane/June "6" when they were talking about her being with Aoi/Santa in the other car? This seemed very odd to me.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Gunloc said:
Alright, I've been reading everyone's theories, and there is a lot of good stuff out there.

One quick question, it might not really be that relevant but I can't stop thinking about it.

*True End Spoilers*

Why did Lotus call Akane/June "6" when they were talking about her being with Aoi/Santa in the other car? This seemed very odd to me.

In Japanese it used her code name, but we decided to edit it as 6, and have Lotus just be slang-y about June by referring to her as her number at that point in time :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Akselziys said:
Don't forget, if either of you have questions about 999 for the creators, you can submit a question via the official 999 site :D

http://www.aksysgames.com/999

We'll be taking questions until December 23rd, after which we'll be sending them Chunsoft's way. So ask away! :D

I cannot find where that site we're suppose to do this. That just goes to the main aksysgames page..... looking around don't see it.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Ferrio said:
I cannot find where that site we're suppose to do this. That just goes to the main aksysgames page..... looking around don't see it.

You should go to the homepage and see a TV in Zero's face that says "Got a question for the creators of 999?" that you can click on. :)

You may need to hit refresh or clear your cache though.

Belisarius

Neo Member
Ferrio said:
That link should take you to the age gate for the 999 site. Once you get into the 999 site, you'll see a TV that says "Got a question for the creators of 999?" Just click on that and it'll take you to the form to submit your question. If you're getting shunted to the Aksys Games front page, that means you told the age gate you were too young. :3

:lol @ the entire elevator exchange. I picked the dumb option because I remembered someone saying it was worth it. I was not disappointed.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Looking at the flowchart posted on several pages back it seems like getting
the safe ending
is a requirement to get
true/coffin endings
? Is this true?

I didn't want to use the flowchart at first, but my third ending
is the same as my second ending in which everybody died,
which sucks big time :\

I hate the
torture room
puzzle :|

Just finished all 6 endings for this amazing game last night. Wow. Anyone who suggests games can't have great stories after playing this is a fool. Great characters, great story and awesome soundtrack. The puzzles are challenging without being overly easy and aren't unfair.This game leaves the Professor layton series for dead.

I'm still in the process of taking in everything that happened in the game so I'm sure I'll have more questions at a later date. Just a quick one for now.

*MAJOR true ending and sub ending spoilers*

If Junpei could recognise Akane as his childhood friend why did he not recognise Santa as well since he is her brother?

Who is the killer in the submarine ending? Doesn't everyone end up getting hacked to death?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yeah I also thought it was odd that
Junpei never showed any knowledge that June had a brother (or knew what he looked like) despite being very close to her when they were kids.

Not to mention that those two look nothing alike. But then Clover and Snake look nothing alike either, soo...

I also hated the
Torture room puzzle. That head thing was probably one of the more annoying puzzles in the game. I also didn't really like the library puzzle, but it was somewhat redeemed with the Riemann joke. :lol

Belisarius

Neo Member
Akuun said:
Yeah I also thought it was odd that
Junpei never showed any knowledge that June had a brother (or knew what he looked like) despite being very close to her when they were kids.

Well,
Santa is 3 years older than June. He likely wouldn't have been in school with June and Junpei until high school, and June disappeared before they got to high school. Plus, in the stuff you see in the past, it seems like June was more or less a big school crush so Junpei probably only hung out with her at school. It doesn't seem that unlikely that he would never have met Santa. Plus, June and Santa both seem to be some sort of weird geniuses, so maybe when June was in school with Junpei, Santa was off making his millions on the stock market. I'm three years older than my sister, and I know lots of her friends have never met me.

eXistor

I can't believe I hadn't even heard of this game until a few days ago here on GAF. Of course I immediately did my bit and bought the game. I'm still waiting for it to arrive though, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
eXistor said:
I can't believe I hadn't even heard of this game until a few days ago here on GAF. Of course I immediately did my bit and bought the game. I'm still waiting for it to arrive though, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

I hope you enjoy it just as much as everyone else has :D!

Belisarius

Neo Member
Hey guys, we thought just for kicks we'd have a character poll for 999. I told Akselziys that Seven is obviously the shit, and a poll would no doubt bear that out and make everyone else feel bad, but he insisted, so here it is if that sort of thing interests you.

Also, here's a another review of 999, if for some reason you needed any more convincing re: how awesome it is.

Jetpack Gaming - 5/5

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Tuesday said:
Hey guys, we thought just for kicks we'd have a character poll for 999. I told Akselziys that Seven is obviously the shit, and a poll would no doubt bear that out and make everyone else feel bad, but he insisted, so here it is if that sort of thing interests you.

Also, here's a another review of 999, if for some reason you needed any more convincing re: how awesome it is.

Jetpack Gaming - 5/5

Yeah, I'm curious to see who the favorite characters of the US audience are as opposed to the Japanese one :D

The poll will last the duration of 12/9 to 1/9, so go and rock the vote, guys!

http://li.brari.us/999poll

7Th

Akselziys said:
Yeah, I'm curious to see who the favorite characters of the US audience are as opposed to the Japanese one :D

The poll will last the duration of 12/9 to 1/9, so go and rock the vote, guys!

http://li.brari.us/999poll

Who was the winner of the Japanese poll? I'm thinking Clover or Snake...

I'm having a ton of trouble
finding the 3 lightbulbs. Anyone willing to describe their locations to me?

Thanks.

edit: Got it. When in doubt, click everything.

True ending mid game question:

Do I have to do anything special when everyone meets up in the hospital room and goes looking for Snake? Does it matter if I go around talking to everyone or if I just skip it and get to the room choosing asap?

MechaX

Holy shit, this game just completely slid under my radar.

If I like adventure games (never played the LucasArts games, but games like Snatcher, Policenauts, Hotel Dusk, and the Ace Attorney titles all have special places in my heart), I'll love this, right?

MechaX said:
Holy shit, this game just completely slid under my radar.

If I like adventure games (never played the LucasArts games, but games like Snatcher, Policenauts, Hotel Dusk, and the Ace Attorney titles all have special places in my heart), I'll love this, right?

Absolutely!

Hyunkel6

I just got the safe ending, and I was blown away by how the story developed.
Poor Snake
. I can finally put a face on the killer who knifed me on my 1st ending. There are still so many questions that remain unanswered though. I can't wait to get the true ending.

I love that the unlockable previews give you
hints about which doors to open for the true ending!
:D .

Ferrio

Banned
Tuesday said:

Jetpack Gaming - 5/5

You can add another vote for seven :)

Volcynika

lucablight said:
I can only see an option for the game at $36.99 with the free watch. Do you think you could link me to buying the watch alone?

Hm, I'm looking myself and I'm not seeing it anymore. I guess they sold out. :/

Sorry D:

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
lucablight said:
Nooo......Maybe Akselziys could point me out to another place I could purchase it from? I already have the game.

Unfortunately we're running low, so we are only offering them with the 999 bundle now.

The watches were flying off the shelves :D

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is anyone else having trouble with the Aksys store? It just keeps bringing me to some stupid FAQ.

Yeah, sorry about that! We're doing a little maintenance on it, adding things and the such, but it should be back to normal shortly! :)

We apologize for the inconvenience!

Akselziys said:
Yeah, sorry about that! We're doing a little maintenance on it, adding things and the such, but it should be back to normal shortly! :)

We apologize for the inconvenience!

:mad: Damn, you people adding new items.

Long ass post warning

So I actually beat the game over Thanksgiving break. Not going to lie, pretty much bought the game exclusively because I thought I would get a watch from pre-ordering it from a brick and mortar store :lol . Oh well, I'm really glad I did. I didn't go in expecting much but a fun little point & click adventure game, but it turned out being one of my favorite games this year. I really like how, even though the game is mostly focused on narrative and exposition, it never really forgets that it's trying to tell a story via a video game. Some notable moments include (spoilers, clearly):
-
I like how if you choose door 3, where Snake was murdered, it has Junpei sabotaging the whole plan to split up into different groups, showing that he's really not above the tricks that any of the others in the group play
-
In this interview here http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/0...s-interview-gets-philosophical-then-personal/ : the director talks about how each of the characters is based on each of the Ennegrams of Personality. It was an interesting choice to make the player's role that of the Investigator, or 5, over The Reformer, or 1.
-
While I have a couple of issues with the basis for the ending sequence (You drug me through a perverted murder gauntlet so I could help some little girl solve a goddamn sudoku?!), I really like how it was revealed that the narrator was Zero all along, and that in the final puzzle of the game you had to turn around the screen and then take the role of Zero. It's this sort of subtle story-telling that really can't be done in any other medium outside of, not only games, but on the DS.
-
I was really shaky on the whole "Morphogenic Field" build up to the story, hoping that it would just turn out to be more of an obsession for Ace rather than something that actually existed within the world of the game, but I have to admit, going through the different endings in order to unlock the True Ending has never felt more believable in a game. It actually feels like a legitimate, true ending rather than just a side bonus in order to get you to play through the game again, and in order to unlock it, you actually have to essentially use it yourself as the player, transferring over the information you found from one play through over to another, and the game completely acknowledges this

Excellent, excellent game all around. My favorite characters were Seven, followed by Snake. I was legitimately sad when (mid game spoilers and one potential ending spoilers that I'm sure everyone knows by now)
you're initially led to believe he was killed. I don't think I would have gone ax crazy like Clover, but my first time through the game I went through the door with Seven and Snake, and I liked his kind but somewhat condescending attitude towards Junpei and Seven :lol

Edit-
Goddammit >_>

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
For the love of all that's holy! DON'T READ KirbyStamped's POST!

It's spoiler-tastic! Get that fixed YESTERDAY! :lol

Edit: Okay, it should be safe to read now (but only if you want to read spoilers haha)

Top Bottom