• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

7Th

Akselziys said:
Yup :D That's what Junpei's comments about Seven in the true ending insinuate ;)

Now everything makes a lot more sense.
Akane and Aoi pulling the whole stunt by themselves would have been very hard to believe, but for some reason them having Seven's help makes it a lot easier to shallow.

Celine

Lain said:
Yep.
I've been reading about people ordering from AxelMusic from time to time on here, but I've never used it. How's the delivery time from them? I love VG+ but lately it takes ages for games to get here (I only received Oath in Felghana basically some days ago, and they shipped it to me on release date).
Don't know it's my first US import :D
When (if) it'll arrive, I'll tell you ( I'm in Italy too ).

I was just surprised you placed the order on VGP when I can't even find the page of the game on that site :lol

Lain

Celine said:
Don't know it's my first US import :D
When (if) it'll arrive, I'll tell you ( I'm in Italy too ).

I was just surprised you placed the order on VGP when I can't even find the page of the game on that site :lol

Oh. Seems like I bought the last copy they had or something, as the product page has disappeared for me too now XD

So I beat the game for the first time!
(Got the Axe ending)

So question, when you start the game for the second time, there are 4 options:

continue, begin with memories, memories of the escape, and erase data

Which one do I want to click on in order to start going for a new ending and
getting closer to getting the true end?

Volcynika

robotzombie said:
So I beat the game for the first time!
(Got the Axe ending)

So question, when you start the game for the second time, there are 4 options:

continue, begin with memories, memories of the escape, and erase data

Which one do I want to click on in order to start going for a new ending and
getting closer to getting the true end?

Continue. It'll restart from your last save, aka due to getting an ending, right back at the start. Begin with Memories is there if you messed up and have to restart your game.

Great thanks!

Question:
If I beat it a second time, do the memories of both playthroughs stack for a third playthrough, or does the first playthrough get replaced by the second one?

Edit: Awesome! thanks for the help! Oh man, I can't wait to go for some new endings and find out what the hell is actually going on

Volcynika

robotzombie said:
Great thanks!

Question:
If I beat it a second time, do the memories of both playthroughs stack for a third playthrough, or does the first playthrough get replaced by the second one?

Whenever you get a new ending, it'll just stack on to what endings you've gotten before. Think of it as a never decreasing % complete. Well unless you clear the data!

Jeez I can't solve this puzzle and I feel like I am so close.

I am in the
shower room. I decided to go through door 3 this time. I have the following clues

1. 185 =
2. 957+
3. 634+

I figure it involves their digital roots. I got 5, 3, 4, and then 7 when I added the latter two together. However no combination of those numbers seems to work. Is there another number hidden somewhere? Can anyone give my a hint, or just flat out tell me what the 4 digit password is?

Thanks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thinking of asking for this for Christmas. Is the story as good as something like Hotel Dusk or TWEWY? If so then I'm definitely in.

Chatin

^^ They don't involve their
digital roots. Just add.

I finally got the true ending on my sixth play-through. Only sort of question I have is
Why have Lotus and not Nona?

Chatin said:
^^ They don't involve their
digital roots. Just add.

... Jeez I can't believe I didn't realize that I had to add all 3 together. I was too busy thinking in digital roots.

Thanks for the help.

knkng

Wow, amazing game. I've finally gotten every ending possible, and I can honestly say that this is one of my favourite game experiences in a very long time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can get more games of this caliber brought over to North America (pretty please!).

I just have one tiny question about the true ending:
When I got the true ending it actually combined endings 1 and 2 together, but I was just wondering what happens if you get ending 2 independently? Is it a death ending? Do you still escape? I feel like I've missed out on a chunk of the game for some reason...

The_Technomancer said:
Thinking of asking for this for Christmas. Is the story as good as something like Hotel Dusk or TWEWY? If so then I'm definitely in.

I don’t have the game yet (it should arrive in like two weeks)...but going by the comments in here I’d say it might be better than both!

iammeiam

knkng said:
Wow, amazing game. I've finally gotten every ending possible, and I can honestly say that this is one of my favourite game experiences in a very long time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can get more games of this caliber brought over to North America (pretty please!).

When I got the true ending it actually combined endings 1 and 2 together, but I was just wondering what happens if you get ending 2 independently? Is it a death ending? Do you still escape? I feel like I've missed out on a chunk of the game for some reason...

Is ending 2 the
coffin
ending? If so, it's the same as ending 1, but
it cuts off when you're trying to figure out the keycode for the coffin, goes to "To Be Continued...", and the preivew flashes you a sequence of doors to take to get the safe ending. You don't die, the game just ends.

cj2121

knkng said:

you get a "to be continued" at the coffin. You didn't miss anything

knkng

iammeiam said:
Is ending 2 the
coffin
ending? If so, it's the same as ending 1, but
it cuts off when you're trying to figure out the keycode for the coffin, goes to "To Be Continued...", and the preivew flashes you a sequence of doors to take to get the safe ending. You don't die, the game just ends.

cj2121 said:
you get a "to be continued" at the coffin. You didn't miss anything

Ah, I see. Thank you, that is very reassuring. :D

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ba-Dum-Tish.

Just got the
knife ending where after Junpei spotted Lotus was killed, he was then also stabbed and killed by someone.

So many unresolved questions:

- Who is Zero? And what is the purpose of the nonary game?
- What the hell is stored inside that one coffin? With someone or something knocking it from the inside the moment all of the guys bolted outside the room? Very creepy.
- Who is/are the murder/murderers of Snake?
- What the hell is going on with the mannequin in the laboratory?
- Who is/are the murder/murderers of Lotus and Junpei at this ending I got? What are their motivations?
- The game asked me "Who is the one gaining the most profit from the 8 watch from Lotus?" Seeing that Junpei was also murdered, and his number is 5: 8 + 5 = 13, and in order to open the escape door you need the 9 digital root, 13 + 5 = 18 = 9, maybe Santa...? Hmmmm........ But something's telling me it ain't this simple....
- I had a feeling that somewhere along the line the game will make me regret putting so much trust in Akane/June due to her 'aaawww cute' moments with Junpei. Just a feeling. Just my general rule when expecting a twist to always 'suspect the one the creators/writers try very hard to picture as trustworthy'
- There are multiple 9 doors? I was actually kind of surprised by this revelation.

Bloody hell so many questions.

Just a question: if I want to try getting all the ending, I have to play again from the very beginning? there is no way to, say, jump directly to a diverging path in the subsequent playthrough?

Ferrio

Banned
Laughing Banana said:
Just a question: if I want to try getting all the ending, I have to play again from the very beginning? there is no way to, say, jump directly to a diverging path in the subsequent playthrough?

Unfortunately not, mainly because it's possible to get new dialogue in paths you've been at based on what you've done on your play through.

Belisarius

Neo Member
Laughing Banana said:
Ba-Dum-Tish.

Just got the
knife ending where after Junpei spotted Lotus was killed, he was then also stabbed and killed by someone.

So many unresolved questions:

- Who is Zero? And what is the purpose of the nonary game?
- What the hell is stored inside that one coffin? With someone or something knocking it from the inside the moment all of the guys bolted outside the room? Very creepy.
- Who is/are the murder/murderers of Snake?
- What the hell is going on with the mannequin in the laboratory?
- Who is/are the murder/murderers of Lotus and Junpei at this ending I got? What are their motivations?
- The game asked me "Who is the one gaining the most profit from the 8 watch from Lotus?" Seeing that Junpei was also murdered, and his number is 5: 8 + 5 = 13, and in order to open the escape door you need the 9 digital root, 13 + 5 = 18 = 9, maybe Santa...? Hmmmm........ But something's telling me it ain't this simple....
- I had a feeling that somewhere along the line the game will make me regret putting so much trust in Akane/June due to her 'aaawww cute' moments with Junpei. Just a feeling. Just my general rule when expecting a twist to always 'suspect the one the creators/writers try very hard to picture as trustworthy'
- There are multiple 9 doors? I was actually kind of surprised by this revelation.

Bloody hell so many questions.

Just about all of those questions are answered. :3

No, there isn't any way to jump to stuff. You can fast-forward through text you've already seen and it'll automatically stop when you hit something new. Also, on choices, it'll gray out ones you've already tried. But apart from that, yes, you do have to play through the whole thing again.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bloody hell this thread is kind of dangerous.

Reading all the discussions on the previous pages, I am so tempted to highlight all the spoiler tags :lol :lol :lol

But I must persevere :mad:

I want to have mindblown moments! :D

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Laughing Banana said:
Bloody hell this thread is kind of dangerous.

Reading all the discussions on the previous pages, I am so tempted to highlight all the spoiler tags :lol :lol :lol

But I must persevere :mad:

I want to be mindblown! :D

Yeah, you REALLY don't want to read those ;)

Mzo

Nope! But that's ok because COF is teasing bullshit anyway. Like people said before, you won't miss anything.

Good thing for OCD people like me, the True ending unlocks both squares on the end-o-meter in the save screen.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
The_Technomancer said:

I think you'll be very happy with yourself if you decide to ask for it for Christmas :D

It's a must play game! :)

dreamfall

Hmmm got my second ending- and it ended badly!

knife ending? I swear I thought I made much better decisions this time around & my game seemed longer than my first playthrough. I'm excited to give it another spin, but I'm not sure what to do differently. I saw the 9th door- it was there, why didn't we go through it!

Such a great game!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
dreamfall said:
Hmmm got my second ending- and it ended badly!

knife ending? I swear I thought I made much better decisions this time around & my game seemed longer than my first playthrough. I'm excited to give it another spin, but I'm not sure what to do differently. I saw the 9th door- it was there, why didn't we go through it!

Such a great game!

I believe there is a spoiler free walkthrough on Gamefaqs if you need some direction :)

JKTrix

Just finished the true ending and went back to look through most of the spoilered posts. I was hoping to find out why the heck Lotus was dressed like she was, but I must have missed that entirely :lol

Favourite bits outside of the story were all the little side jokes from wrong answers and clicking on the environment too much. The elevator's been mentioned, but Funyarinpa still makes me laugh and the Pipe Cheering Squad in one of the very last puzzles amused me too.

I didn't get ending 5, maybe that path would reveal the secret of Lotus' attire.

So I just got the
submarine ending, and got killed. I am pretty sure this unlocked the true ending.

Now do I
just replay the game exactly as I did and something else will happen, or do I need to do a different set of actions to unlock the true end?

Thanks.

Ferrio

Banned
JKTrix said:
I didn't get ending 5, maybe that path would reveal the secret of Lotus' attire.

Far as I can tell is no secret.

Obsessed said:
So I just got the
submarine ending, and got killed. I am pretty sure this unlocked the true ending.

Nope.

I guess I'll import this. How hard is it to get all the endings? Like, is it complete guesswork what you need to do differently to get a new ending?

Ferrio

Banned
Baloonatic said:
I guess I'll import this. How hard is it to get all the endings? Like, is it complete guesswork what you need to do differently to get a new ending?

It's not completely guess work. If you go through all the doors, you can sorta figure out what order they're trying to get you to go. Of course that takes you knowing what's behind all the doors and remembering what the conversations were about behind them.

Belisarius

Neo Member
JKTrix said:
Just finished the true ending and went back to look through most of the spoilered posts. I was hoping to find out why the heck Lotus was dressed like she was, but I must have missed that entirely :lol

Favourite bits outside of the story were all the little side jokes from wrong answers and clicking on the environment too much. The elevator's been mentioned, but Funyarinpa still makes me laugh and the Pipe Cheering Squad in one of the very last puzzles amused me too.

The unending torrent of ladder jokes are some of my favorites, but that's probably because a) I love terrible puns, and b) it took me forever to come up with them. :(

Ferrio

Banned
Tuesday said:
The unending torrent of ladder jokes are some of my favorites, but that's probably be a) I love terrible puns, and b) it took me forever to come up with them. :(

Oh wanted to ask you about a translation part

The part where you figure out the right-left-right-left on the watch seemed like stretch from the phrase given to you. Was that the original phrase?

Belisarius

Neo Member
Ferrio said:
Oh wanted to ask you about a translation part

The part where you figure out the right-left-right-left on the watch seemed like stretch from the phrase given to you. Was that the original phrase?

I'm not sure which part of the phrase you're talking about, exactly...
Do you mean "
Truth had gone, truth had gone, and truth had gone
" or "
Ah, now truth is asleep in the darkness of the sinister hand
"?

If you're talking about the
sinister hand
one, it originally said something like "
Ah, now truth is asleep in the darkness of the bow hand
", with "
bow hand
" referring to the
hand that holds or pulls back a bow (I can't remember which)
. Apparently that's something all Japanese people would know, but I didn't think Westerners would get it or
even if we standardize bow-pulling hands

As far as "
truth had gone
", what is in the game is almost word for word what was in the Japanese text. Since the puzzle would have been in English for a Japanese-speaking audience, they probably figured they could be a little liberal with their
"this word also means that word" logic
. Also,
putting spoilers in the middle of sentences is fun

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Gunloc said:
RE: Door

The stunt Junpei pulled there was truly twisted. What a jerk.

Yeah, that's one of the times where you'll be like, wow Junpei, you're kind of a douche lol :lol

I prefer noble and pure Junpei :D

Ok I just got another ending and I have a question about it.

Junpei finally sees his killer during the knife ending. Do we ever find out who the hell stabbed him? Yes or no answer please. Also if yes, do I find out in another ending, or was it revealed during the knife ending and I just happened to miss it? If the latter then who?

Also while I am asking questions:

Do we ever find out why Santa hating that 4 leaf clover bookmark is significant? I mean the story devoted just a bit too much attention to that for me to think it is insignificant. Again, simple yes or no answer please.

Thank you.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Obsessed said:
Ok I just got another ending and I have a question about it.

Junpei finally sees his killer during the knife ending. Do we ever find out who the hell stabbed him? Yes or no answer please. Also if yes, do I find out in another ending, or was it revealed during the knife ending and I just happened to miss it? If the latter then who?

It's insinuated in the knife ending who killed you. Someone who would want Lotus's bracelet ;)

Akselziys said:
It's insinuated in the knife ending who killed you. Someone who would want Lotus's bracelet ;)

Well...

They would ideally want the bracelet for door 9 wouldn't they? Wouldn't they need at least two extra bracelets? They didn't seem to take Junpei's so... I honestly don't know who would specifically need just her bracelet. Any hints? My best guess would be Clover because she already killed me once... :(

Or wait. Was she the one in the coffin? Is it ever revealed who was in the coffin? Yes or no answer for this one too please.

Thanks.

edit more:

Thinking about it more.

If for some reason you dont need at least 9 bracelets to get through door 9 - Ace likely did it.

If you still need 3... 3 + 7 + 9 = 18 = 1 + 8 = 9... so Santa or Seven....

Now the knife. Is that 9's knife? If that is the case it was Seven who did it since he had access to it from the start.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Obsessed said:
Well...

They would ideally want the bracelet for door 9 wouldn't they? Wouldn't they need at least two extra bracelets? They didn't seem to take Junpei's so... I honestly don't know who would specifically need just her bracelet. Any hints? My best guess would be Clover because she already killed me once... :(

Or wait. Was she the one in the coffin? Is it ever revealed who was in the coffin? Yes or no answer for this one too please.

Thanks.

I think as you get more endings you'll have a better idea of who it was that stabbed you. As for the coffin, just keep playing, it's really better not to get spoiled even in the slightest :D! So be careful ;)

Akselziys said:
I think as you get more endings you'll have a better idea of who it was that stabbed you. As for the coffin, just keep playing, it's really better not to get spoiled even in the slightest :D! So be careful ;)

Ah okay. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep on playing and if I still am not entirely sure I will ask again. :D

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think I'm losing it.

I know that
Clover turns psycho and axes most of the cast in one of the endings. But after playing through the true ending, why do I find her cute as a button?

One ending left to see.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Akuun said:
I think I'm losing it.

I know that
Clover turns psycho and axes most of the cast in one of the endings. But after playing through the true ending, why do I find her cute as a button?

One ending left to see.

Because she's super cute :D

Simply amazing. I just got the true ending and it gave me the same heartwarming feelings as Hotel Dusk's and Phoenix Wright 3's endings. This game deserves all the Best of the Year titles.

jgkspsx

Hardcore true ending spoilers, do not peek:
OK, why was ALLICE in a fake boat in the Nevadan desert anyhow???? I'm totally confused about the relevance of that whole subplot...

Can anybody clue me into what happens in the coffin ending? I assume I'm cut off from it forever.

I must have missed the dialogue that implies that Seven was in on the plot. It makes sense, kinda, but...

Wouldn't it have been better to give Ace fewer ways to kill the innocent people?

What the hell is really up with "June"? Is she the real Akane, saved from the incinerator by changing the past? Or did Akane possess the mummy? If Seven was in on it, did he know that she didn't die? And if so, what was the point of running the game again?

Also, what was up with Akane's fainting spells? It kind of reminded me of another recent DS game...

Mzo

jgkspsx[spoiler said:
Can anybody clue me into what happens in the coffin ending? I assume I'm cut off from it forever.[/spoiler]

Same as true except
when you discover the coffin you get a to be continued screen and the game ends
=/

Like people have said, not missing anything.

Top Bottom