• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Just beat Knife and Submarine. Knife was extremely short but had a few new tidbits. Submarine was pretty awesome and shed some light on a few more characters and established some more connections. Just two left to go!

Nice!! Keep at it, and let us know your thoughts! It's always awesome to see the reactions of new players.

cereal_killerxx

I also decided recently to work on a Junpei cosplay. Here's my progress so far. XD
CAM00183_zps70204bdb.jpg

cereal_killerxx

I just finished the game. Wow. This was absolutely fantastic! Now I am super psyched to play the 2nd one... just gotta get a 3DS first lol. I just hope next installment is closely linked so I can get some more resolution to this.

I just finished the game. Wow. This was absolutely fantastic! Now I am super psyched to play the 2nd one... just gotta get a 3DS first lol. I just hope next installment is closely linked so I can get some more resolution to this.

Yeah, but you might not like it haha.
It's also excellent, though a slightly different flavor overall than 999. You'll like it though.

Gaaraz

Started this last night, didn't even get out of the first room (I found a note with 4 triangles on it and my DS crashed) and whilst I think it has a lot of potential, both my girlfriend and I found the narrative really slow...

It's not like we're against reading, it just felt like it had an incredible amount of unnecessary detail at every single moment. It was very clear what was going on, so a quick explanation would've more than sufficed. Is the entire game like this, or should we stick with it?

Thanks

Started this last night, didn't even get out of the first room (I found a note with 4 triangles on it and my DS crashed) and whilst I think it has a lot of potential, both my girlfriend and I found the narrative really slow...

It's not like we're against reading, it just felt like it had an incredible amount of unnecessary detail at every single moment. It was very clear what was going on, so a quick explanation would've more than sufficed. Is the entire game like this, or should we stick with it?

Thanks
Well, you definitely need to start by getting out of the first room, which is widely perceived as the worst part of the game.

As for the story, they do explain a lot of things in detail, but this is very important in setting the mood of the game, which is a GIGANTIC part of the experience.

Keep playing. I don't think you've come even close to giving the game a fair shake.

Thanks

There's a lot of prose, but your frustration is probably just at getting stuck on the first puzzle. hint: click EVERYWHERE. better hint:
did you check under the pillows?
Once you get out of that room, there will still be a lot of text -- it's a visual novel after all -- but things really start to take off at that point.

Gaaraz

Thank you both so much for the replies, sounds like we do need to give it another chance then :) We're definitely not averse to text heavy games (my girlfriend is an avid reader, and we've played through the Phoenix Wright games which are almost all text) it was just we found in this case the amount of detail to be unecessary... we knew exactly what was going on, and yet the point was still heavily laboured.

If the first room is the worst part of the game though then at least that bodes well for the rest :) Thanks again.

Frologic

There's a lot of prose, but your frustration is probably just at getting stuck on the first puzzle. hint: click EVERYWHERE. better hint:
did you check under the pillows?
Once you get out of that room, there will still be a lot of text -- it's a visual novel after all -- but things really start to take off at that point.

That first room was pretty bad to be honest, I'm a little further into the game and things are getting interesting but yeah, left a bad impression on me. I think I was just getting really annoyed at trying to solve the code with only one piece of paper and not realizing that there was something still missing and the game constantly going into tutorial mode every time I wanted to solve that code. It was getting pretty annoying.

I'm currently unlocking each ending, and I can honestly say this game is so damn enjoyable! I CAN'T WAIT till I can move onto VLR. I've unlocked 3 endings so far, so I've got just 4 more to go. I specifically bought the Vita version of VLR because of the 3DS bugs, but also because I can play it on my VitaTV (although it's going to suck not playing on the go but oh well). If the new Vita will truly have an HDMI jack, then I'll probably sell off my VitaTV and get that new Vita instead because of VitaTV's terrible compatibility issues.

Also, holy shit. I did not know the best girl Clover was 18, nor did I think she looked this good in her concept art.
muh dick.

I'm currently unlocking each ending, and I can honestly say this game is so damn enjoyable! I CAN'T WAIT till I can move onto VLR. I've unlocked 3 endings so far, so I've got just 4 more to go. I specifically bought the Vita version of VLR because of the 3DS bugs, but also because I can play it on my VitaTV (although it's going to suck not playing on the go but oh well). If the new Vita will truly have an HDMI jack, then I'll probably sell off my VitaTV and get that new Vita instead because of VitaTV's terrible compatibility issues.

Also, holy shit. I did not know the best girl Clover was 18, nor did I think she looked this good in her concept art.
muh dick.
There is supposed to be a new vita?

Style

Banned
The full experience of going through each door and discover each ending was fantastic! Completed the true ending last night and the ending really stuck with me. The twists and turns at each path come together in the true ending and result in an amazing climax! The game was overall a really pleasant experience and I'll remember it for a long time. If anyone is about to start this game: go through each door in multiple replays before you look up how to unlock the true ending.

Will definitely recommend this game to everyone who loves a good story full of mysteries.

The full experience of going through each door and discover each ending was fantastic! Completed the true ending last night and the ending really stuck with me. The twists and turns at each path come together in the true ending and result in an amazing climax! The game was overall a really pleasant experience and I'll remember it for a long time. If anyone is about to start this game: go through each door in multiple replays before you look up how to unlock the true ending.

Will definitely recommend this game to everyone who loves a good story full of mysteries.
Glad you enjoyed it so much. Now go enjoy the sequel, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward! :)

Style

Banned
Glad you enjoyed it so much. Now go enjoy the sequel, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward! :)

I'm looking in to getting VLR, but I only have access to my 3DS at the moment so I can't play the NA version due to region locking. The European version doesn't have an English dub. :/

Not that I'm complaining though. I thought the game would be all text like 999, so I'm surprised there's even going to be voices!

I'm looking in to getting VLR, but I only have access to my 3DS at the moment so I can't play the NA version due to region locking. The European version doesn't have an English dub. :/

Not that I'm complaining though. I thought the game would be all text like 999, so I'm surprised there's even going to be voices!
The English dub is actually pretty awesome (except for one character), so if you can experience it, I'd say go for it, but I'm sure the Japanese dub is great too.

If you're playing it on the 3DS, just make sure to read up on it first. There's a couple gnarly glitches in that version that can fry your save file if you don't take care to avoid them.

The English dub is actually pretty awesome (except for one character), so if you can experience it, I'd say go for it, but I'm sure the Japanese dub is great too.

If you're playing it on the 3DS, just make sure to read up on it first. There's a couple gnarly glitches in that version that can fry your save file if you don't take care to avoid them.

There's a pretty simple way around it: just don't save in puzzle rooms. Stick to that rule and you're good to go afaik.

I just got the sub ending...I didn't expect that at all. I was 100% sure
the killer is one of the 9 persons(well 6). But looks like it is zero after all.

Cqn't wait to get the real ending and fi ding out what the hell happened there

I just got the sub ending...I didn't expect that at all. I was 100% sure
the killer is one of the 9 persons(well 6). But looks like it is zero after all.

Cqn't wait to get the real ending and fi ding out what the hell happened there

Yes yes yes keep posting impressions! :D

Sadly I had to stop just after seven revealed he has the
"0" bracelet
I think I figured what the nonary game is about.
Ace, ninth man, the fake zero(the captain) and guy x were the 4 people behind the original nonary game. The other 7 participants are somehow related to the victims. Zero arranged it so ace would kill all of his accomplices, then get killed himself by the other paricipants.
The only thing I have yet to figure is who zero is.

Top Bottom