• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

//ARCANUM

you don't get one bad ending, and you don't get a cliffhanger ending. the cliffhanger ending is basically the path to the true ending if you didn't complete safe first.

you don't get anything for getting all the endings, and the missing bad ending is something you can catch on youtube if you're curious.

Awesome, thanks for the quick answer!

I just bought this game and a 3DS at the same time. This is the first game I've played on it, so I'm learning the game as well as how to use my 3DS. When I try to save the game, it says "Could not save". I'm not sure if there's a problem with my SD Card, or if I just need to wait until later until the ability to save opens up. It doesn't help that the cutscenes are fucking HOURS long until you can actually play the game. I beat the first room and I've been stuck in this neverending cutscene for like the past 45 minutes with no end in sight.

-Horizon-

I just bought this game and a 3DS at the same time. This is the first game I've played on it, so I'm learning the game as well as how to use my 3DS. When I try to save the game, it says "Could not save". I'm not sure if there's a problem with my SD Card, or if I just need to wait until later until the ability to save opens up. It doesn't help that the cutscenes are fucking HOURS long until you can actually play the game. I beat the first room and I've been stuck in this neverending cutscene for like the past 45 minutes with no end in sight.
999 (the DS game) doesn't save to the SD card. VLR (the 3DS game) saves to the SD card.

You should be able to save in 999 from the first prologue room just by pressing start and the option to save shows up.

It's a book with puzzles in it. You're not in a neverending cutscene, you're in the story, which is (trust me) amazing.

999 (the DS game) doesn't save to the SD card. VLR (the 3DS game) saves to the SD card.

You should be able to save in 999 from the first prologue room just by pressing start and the option to save shows up.

The option to save does show up, the bottom screen says "Would you like to overwrite this save file?" and the top screen has 6 question mark icons and says "prologue save data at the bottom". When I click yes on the bottom screen, it says "Could not save. Would you like to quit?"

-Horizon-

The option to save does show up, but I click it, and it says "Could not save. Would you like to quit?"
Here's what I get on my screen:

*press start*
*new screen*

The next screen for me since I've played it before is *Would you like to overwrite this save file?*
> yes > no

Clicking yes shows you the saving icon spinning

Clicking no shows *Could not save. Would you like to quit?*
> yes > no

Make sure the selecting arrow is on *yes* for *Would you like to overwrite this save file?*
It is by default on *no*

Here's what I get on my screen:

*press start*
*new screen*

The next screen for me since I've played it before is *Would you like to overwrite this save file?*
> yes > no

Clicking yes shows you the saving icon spinning

Clicking no shows *Could not save. Would you like to quit?*
> yes > no

Make sure the selecting arrow is on *yes* for *Would you like to overwrite this save file?*
It is by default on *no*

I figured it out. It was because I was pushing B when the option was selected. I had to use the touch screen.

Hate to complain, but I fucking hate the 3DS because of crap like this, lol. I spent literally an hour trying to figure out why it wouldn't save.

-Horizon-

I figured it out. It was because I was pushing B when the option was selected. I had to use the touch screen.

Hate to complain, but I fucking hate the 3DS because of crap like this, lol. I spent literally an hour trying to figure out why it wouldn't save.
I don't think you need to use the touch screen to select yes, just use the d-pad. But at least you figured it out, happy gaming. And remember this is a visual novel with puzzle elements, you will be reading most of the time.

Samer

I know I'm so late to the party, but I just finished this game by some friends recommendation and man, it was a great experience. I specially like how every end is sooo different from the true one, and the lots of things you miss if you don't play through it. I'll buy VLR tomorrow for the Vita to continue with this amazing saga :)

Same here, I just finished all the endings (after 2 bad ones I just followed the chart). But daaaamn I have so many questions.
June being nr1. What the hell... is she alive or dead or ghost. How did she disappear at the true ending. And so on.

Also who is that lady in the last shot of the True ending?

I MUST play VLR now but should I play it for Vita or for 3DS? Does it explain more or are we still in dark?

Also how about most of those experiments in game (About the dog picture, crystalizing of that certain element, Titanic references in an old book and there being replicas of Titanic and such) are they true or halftrue?

Wichu

Same here, I just finished all the endings (after 2 bad ones I just followed the chart). But daaaamn I have so many questions.
June being nr1. What the hell... is she alive or dead or ghost. How did she disappear at the true ending. And so on.

Also who is that lady in the last shot of the True ending?

I MUST play VLR now but should I play it for Vita or for 3DS? Does it explain more or are we still in dark?

Also how about most of those experiments in game (About the dog picture, crystalizing of that certain element, Titanic references in an old book and there being replicas of Titanic and such) are they true or halftrue?

She's alive; she escapes through a hidden exit in the incinerator while everyone's distracted
There are clues in the game, but it's explained in detail in VLR
999 is supposed to be self-contained, but VLR does expand a bit more on a few elements, such as the above. VLR leaves a large unresolved problem to lead in to ZE3, hence the uproar over the game not being funded. Get the Vita version; the 3DS version has a save bug that can erase your progress
They're true in the game's universe; they're inspired by actual events, though obviously the supernatural stuff isn't actually real. The Gigantic is made up for the game (and sank after the events of the first Nonary Game)

So are the experiment with the lady and a dog that were broadcast to different audiences real?

Any info on that one in particular?

So on my second run-through the game after one bad end. I know you can skip well in the beginning, but once you branch off, is there any skipping of stuff after that. I understand not skipping dialogue in new rooms, but when you get back to in between rooms stuff, it seems like I'm stuck again in waiting for the dialogue to move on which I've seen before. I love the idea of this game, but it's boring me to tears in parts.

So on my second run-through the game after one bad end. I know you can skip well in the beginning, but once you branch off, is there any skipping of stuff after that. I understand not skipping dialogue in new rooms, but when you get back to in between rooms stuff, it seems like I'm stuck again in waiting for the dialogue to move on which I've seen before. I love the idea of this game, but it's boring me to tears in parts.
Unfortunately, much of the dialogue in between rooms is just that tiny bit different to prevent the mighty start skip. But, as VLR will show you, sometimes you're gonna need that refresher, there's a lot going on in the story.
But, once you're onto the True End, there's about an entire play through us worth of completely new stuff, and by then most of the dialogue you've been through will be fully skipable.

Griss

I really have to go back to this game and finish the last ending I have left.

I quit near the very end of the true ending. It just wasn't enjoyable for me, and I don't really like the game.

It's funny, because I tried 999 twice, couldn't get into it, tried VLR on the Vita, loved it and devoured it in two weeks, and then have had to physically force my way through 999, barely enjoying it at all. This seems to be pretty much the opposite experience to a lot of people.

On thing that was total BS was that I chose every correct decision (by chance) but because I haven't played through the other routes I get a 'cliffhanger' and then have to play that route again in its entirety. Really pissed me off, to be honest. The characters are also not a patch on VLR, and nor is the setup. Junpei's thoughts on the bottom screen are really poorly written as well, and the absence of any such narration in VLR makes it a much more enjoyable read.
It's a shame how important that narration ends up being. What was a great twist for so many people was a complete eye-roll moment for me.

It's such a shame that it looks like we'll never get a sequel to VLR.

Korigama

The characters are also not a patch on VLR, and nor is the setup.
Personally, I thought both the characters and scenario were a complete disappointment in VLR. The former were largely unsympathetic (the nature of the Ambidex Game only exacerbating this), and there was nothing distinctive about the setting, not to mention the weak Chromatic Doors gimmick and atmosphere (neutering the horror elements and tension having much to do with this). Going from a more personal story as the case was with 999 to VLR's (endgame spoilers)
save the world objective presented in a manner as convoluted as the likes of an MGS story
also bothered me. I won't even get started on the terrible transition from sprites to 3D models, which wasn't even close to what Capcom achieved with their own shift in AA5. The only reason I lament the possibility of no conclusion to the series is the lack of an opportunity to make up for VLR's failings.

Also, if you actually finished the true ending to 999, then you'd know that
the narration on the bottom of the screen is not Junpei's thoughts

Griss

Personally, I thought both the characters and scenario were a complete disappointment in VLR. The former were largely unsympathetic (the nature of the Ambidex Game only exacerbating this), and there was nothing distinctive about the setting, not to mention the weak Chromatic Doors gimmick and atmosphere (neutering the horror elements and tension having much to do with this). The only reason I lament the possibility of no conclusion to the series is the lack of an opportunity to make up for VLR's failings.

Also, if you actually finished the true ending to 999, then you'd know that
the narration on the bottom of the screen is not Junpei's thoughts

Alright, let's reply bit by bit! I enjoy talking about these games. They're meaty.

The Ambidex game was brilliant. It was what made the characters stand out. The problem with 999 is that all of the characters are too sympathetic and too similar. It took me ages to remember who was who, because other than what they looked like they were just dull, confused people. Some of whom remained completely dull and useless throughout
Lotus, Seven (lol James Bond)
, others who were dull and useless before becoming
ludicrous, terribly written cartoon villains like Gentarou.
Junepi himself as a protagonist has none of the wit or verve of Sigma and it wasn't fun to see the world through his eyes.

I thought the setting of 999 was extremely unconvincing and bland. Perhaps it was because of the static sprites, but I never felt like they were on a sinking ship
again, I know (at least I think I remember) that they weren't but you ARE supposed to think they are
or in any real danger. There was no atmosphere for me, and I could never 'place myself' on the ship. On the other hand, the idea of being buried alive underground, locked away with a murderer had my heart racing throughout VLR. I felt like I'd been in that complex. Where the rooms were, what it looked like, the oppressive feeling of all that concrete. The far superior music and room design contributed to a game with a far more pervasive atmosphere and far higher tension. In a story-based game, that's essential.

Also, I enjoyed the Japanese voice acting in VLR. That helped me enjoy the game, and the fact that it was voice acted also ensured that the dialogue was edited down to a reasonable level. 999's dialogue was ludicrously overlong and in desperate need of editing.

The Chromatic doors gimmick wasn't great, and was nowhere near as good as the numbered watches. I'll give you that one, any day of the week.

And lastly, (HUGE SPOILERS)
I did finish the true ending, silly. That's why I spoilered how important that narration becomes, and what the twist is. (If I remember correctly, it's June's thoughts in the past as she mirrors what you're doing in the future as she sees through your eyes/your consciousness to avoid her own death.) Did you miss that spoiler?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
On thing that was total BS was that I chose every correct decision (by chance) but because I haven't played through the other routes I get a 'cliffhanger' and then have to play that route again in its entirety. Really pissed me off, to be honest.
This happened to me in my first run too and, even though I overall enjoyed the game, it really soured the experience in the long run. Whenever I think of the game the forced cliffhanger nonsense is the first thing that comes to mind. :/

Korigama

Alright, let's reply bit by bit! I enjoy talking about these games. They're meaty.

The Ambidex game was brilliant. It was what made the characters stand out. The problem with 999 is that all of the characters are too sympathetic and too similar. It took me ages to remember who was who, because other than what they looked like they were just dull, confused people. Some of whom remained completely dull and useless throughout
Lotus, Seven (lol James Bond)
, others who were dull and useless before becoming
ludicrous, terribly written cartoon villains like Gentarou.
Junepi himself as a protagonist has none of the wit or verve of Sigma and it wasn't fun to see the world through his eyes.
The nature of the Ambidex Game is precisely why it's hard to care what happens to nearly any of them. The majority are preoccupied with self-preservation, and nearly everyone betrays the entire group at some point. In 999's Nonary Game, there's far less incentive to screw others over. Seven, dull? Seven was awesome. Funny, and all around good guy. Much better character than K, who
amounts to little more than a mind-screw plot device
. And Alice was a miserable substitute for Lotus. Lotus' primary purpose in 999 may have been
to help out with her hacker skills, and incidentally be the mother of twins made to participate in the previous Nonary Game
, but while pragmatic, she turned out to be a far more decent person than Alice. As for
Gentarou
, this ignores the fact that
that assclown Dio
was exactly the same way in VLR, yet far more annoying because of making
his
true nature clear in far more paths by comparison, losing any actual shock value early on in the story.

On another note, I found it astonishing that I managed to be one of the few to defend and even like Clover in spite of her actions in 999, yet detested her in all but one path in VLR. Nevermind the horrendous makeover that's clearly Alice's fault.

And for me, Junpei >>> Sigma. It seems disingenuous to say that he didn't compare in respect to wit, especially considering how Junpei went about
outing who Ace really was
. Certainly comparable to how Sigma
tricked Dio into revealing himself as affiliated with Free the Soul and the Myrmidons
. The fact that Junpei's observations of the environment were far more irreverent (i.e., dumb pipe comments, nearly getting beaten up by Snake for continuing to squeeze a chair cushion) also made him more fun to me than the running gag of Sigma being more perverted. I also much preferred the Marty McFly look Junpei had going, and thought that in VLR,
the reveal of Sigma as an old man was handled rather clumsily, in spite of the dialogue hints dropped throughout the story; it just seemed implausible that he wouldn't have noticed any difference from his younger self physically, nevermind not notice that his own voice was much older
. I'd say that Phi stood out more than Sigma, if I had to choose. Sigma was still okay, though.

I thought the setting of 999 was extremely unconvincing and bland. Perhaps it was because of the static sprites, but I never felt like they were on a sinking ship
again, I know (at least I think I remember) that they weren't but you ARE supposed to think they are
or in any real danger. There was no atmosphere for me, and I could never 'place myself' on the ship. On the other hand, the idea of being buried alive underground, locked away with a murderer had my heart racing throughout VLR. I felt like I'd been in that complex. Where the rooms were, what it looked like, the oppressive feeling of all that concrete. The far superior music and room design contributed to a game with a far more pervasive atmosphere and far higher tension. In a story-based game, that's essential.
The fact that the setting in 999 was modeled after the Titanic was precisely why most considered it distinctive and intriguing. Whether the player is convinced
that the ship is actually sinking when it isn't
is subjective.

VLR's warehouse setting was too generic
(secretly being a moonbase aside)
to feel any real immersion for me. It felt too artificial to really resonate with me. Things were far too easy-going, too casual, without the existence of a time limit in VLR's Nonary Game
(bombs hidden by Dio aside, of course)
for it to feel particularly frightening or foreboding to me. And considering how the puzzles were handled, I considered VLR worse in respect to room design as well (the puzzles in 999 weren't the most strenuous, but none of them felt obtuse the way many in VLR did). I don't consider Hosoe's work on the soundtrack of either game to be superior to the other, but I do believe music was used to better effect in most cases in 999 than in VLR (using a track they share as an example, Imaginary, 999 did far more to convey its nature as a thoughtful track, whereas its use in VLR evokes no tenderness to speak of by comparison). I will give VLR the edge for the better downtime theme in Placidity, in spite of still enjoying 999's Extreme Extrication.

Also, I enjoyed the Japanese voice acting in VLR. That helped me enjoy the game, and the fact that it was voice acted also ensured that the dialogue was edited down to a reasonable level. 999's dialogue was ludicrously overlong and in desperate need of editing.
I didn't even bother with the Japanese voice acting. I couldn't picture playing VLR without the English voice for Zero III, who easily steals the show. The amount of reading required in 999 didn't bother me at all, but that's me.

And lastly, (HUGE SPOILERS)
I did finish the true ending, silly. That's why I spoilered how important that narration becomes, and what the twist is. (If I remember correctly, it's June's thoughts in the past as she mirrors what you're doing in the future as she sees through your eyes/your consciousness to avoid her own death.) Did you miss that spoiler?
I didn't miss that at all.
It was the fact that you labeled the narrator wrong (Junpei instead of June) that led me to believe that you had missed why said narration was significant, but it seems you do know why

Griss

The nature of the Ambidex Game is precisely why it's hard to care what happens to nearly any of them. The majority are preoccupied with self-preservation, and nearly everyone betrays the entire group at some point. In 999's Nonary Game, there's far less incentive to screw others over. Seven, dull? Seven was awesome. Funny, and all around good guy. Much better character than K, who
amounts to little more than a mind-screw plot device
. And Alice was a miserable substitute for Lotus. Lotus' primary purpose in 999 may have been
to help out with her hacker skills, and incidentally be the mother of twins made to participate in the previous Nonary Game
, but while pragmatic, she turned out to be a far more decent person than Alice. As for
Gentarou
, this ignores the fact that
that assclown Dio
was exactly the same way in VLR, yet far more annoying because of making
his
true nature clear in far more paths by comparison, losing any actual shock value early on in the story.

On another note, I found it astonishing that I managed to be one of the few to defend and even like Clover in spite of her actions in 999, yet detested her in all but one path in VLR.

And for me, Junpei >>> Sigma. It's disingenuous to say that he didn't compare in respect to wit, especially considering how Junpei went about
outing who Ace really was
. The fact that Junpei's observations of the environment were far more irreverent (i.e., dumb pipe comments, nearly getting beaten up by Snake for continuing to squeeze a chair cushion) also made him more fun to me than the running gag of Sigma being more perverted. I also much preferred the Marty McFly look Junpei had going, and thought that in VLR,
the reveal of Sigma as an old man was handled rather clumsily, in spite of the dialogue hints dropped throughout the story; it just seemed implausible that he wouldn't have noticed any difference from his younger self physically, nevermind not notice that his own voice was much older

The fact that the setting in 999 was modeled after the Titanic was precisely why most considered it distinctive and intriguing. Whether the player is convinced
that the ship is actually sinking when it isn't
is subjective.

VLR's warehouse setting was too generic
(secretly being a moonbase aside)
to feel any real immersion for me. It felt too artificial to really resonate with me. Things were far too easy-going, too casual, without the existence of a time limit in VLR's Nonary Game
(bombs hidden by Dio aside, of course)
for it to feel particularly frightening or foreboding to me. And considering how the puzzles were handled, I considered VLR worse in respect to room design as well (the puzzles in 999 weren't the most strenuous, but none of them felt obtuse the way many in VLR did). I don't consider Hosoe's work on the soundtrack of either game to be superior to the other, but I do believe music was used to better effect in most cases in 999 than in VLR (using a track they share as an example, Imaginary, 999 did far more to convey its nature as a thoughtful track, whereas its use in VLR evokes no tenderness to speak of by comparison). I will give VLR the edge for the better downtime theme in Placidity, in spite of still enjoying 999's Extreme Extrication.

I didn't even bother with the Japanese voice acting. I couldn't picture playing VLR without the English voice for Zero III, who easily steals the show. The amount of reading required in 999 didn't bother me at all, but that's me.

I didn't miss that at all.
It was the fact that you labeled the narrator wrong (Junpei instead of June) that led me to believe that you had missed why said narration was significant, but it seems you do know why

Okay, plenty of good points, well made. But it's funny how we see the games in almost perfectly opposite ways.

Seven and Lotus were dull to me. I never found Seven funny or likeable at all.
K, on the other hand, I was fascinated by from the start, and his backstory was fascinating.
Alice was a total bitch, but I loved that. It made her memorable. I must also be the only one who preferred Clover in the second game to the first. Yes, she's less 'realistic', but I preferred impish, mischievous, childish Clover to bland Clover.

Dio in VLR
is completely different to Gentarou. The situation is totally opposite. In 999, the most bland, trustable character is the bad guy, and does a 180 in terms of character. In VLR, you get an out-and-out asshole who clearly seems like the bad guy or a bad buy. So you think 'welp, I bet he'll end up good, they wouldn't make it this obvious' only to completely fuck with your expectations and end up saying, 'nope, sometimes assholes really are just assholes'. I loved that, and I found Dio endlessly entertaining in his transparent idiocy. Had he been the main antagonist in the end I would have been disappointed, but for what he was I thought he did well, and he kept me guessing, because I had to now assume that maybe some things WERE as they seemed.

I was a bit hard on Junpei. He's certainly smart. When I said wit I meant humour rather than intelligence. Junpei is pretty good, but you get too much access to his inner monologue and it makes him seem a bit too introverted for me. I'd rather they did more 'show' and less 'tell' with Junpei. But I guess I don't really have a problem with him. As for Sigma,
sure his big age/robot eye reveal was a little silly in retrospect but it certainly blew my mind. And I loved him from the start. He doesn't show the other characters too much respect and always stands up for himself, typically with humour. I liked that. He's pretty self-confident, and his attraction to women seems funny and in-character until becoming a seriously funny plot point when you realise his real age. I thought he was great.

As for gameplay, the puzzles in 999 were insultingly easy. I only got stuck permanently twice in VLR. Most of the time I was able to make it through after being throughly tested. I thought that was a nice balance. You'll never get a perfect balance in a puzzle game, as some puzzles will always permanently stump some people, and that's frustrating. But VLR did a good job.

We simply see differently on the setting. The ship bored me to tears, and the talk about Titantic and Gigantic was achingly dull to me. The facility was a bit monotone at first, but as you progress through the game it really shines.

VLR has way better set-pieces than 999.
Something like meeting Gol-M is a brilliant change of pace, or any of the threatened suicides always had me on my toes.
It also doesn't make you play through routes again and again. I preferred the models in VLR on the Vita to the sprites in 999 on the DS.

I see where you're coming from. All your points are fair. It seems to me like more people agree with you than me. But for me, 999 wasn't a particularly good game, while VLR was one of my favourites of all time, and certainly my favourite in the genre over a couple of the Phoenix Wrights.

EDIT: On narration:
As for misnaming the narrator, that's to avoid spoilers for other people etc. If I put it that way, I don't have to spoiler the fact that the narration was a major negative for me.

So far I have to agree that 999 is better. Just certain things about VLR rub me the wrong way. I think Zero III is a fucking dumbass, for starters. He just annoys the shit out of me. It's probably intentional, but either way they decided to go from serious to like a total joke. I can't take any of the shit in VLR seriously, it's all so completely ridiculous that I feel totally detached from all of the characters.

What made 999 good was the sense of impending doom and how brutal and shocking it was. They took every single ounce of that away in VLR. Instead of blowing up and leaving your blood spattered all over the walls, now you just sleep forever. Seriously? How lame is that. And then there's shit like people with actual superpowers.

I also think the overarching plot in VLR is weaker, and doesn't tie together as brilliantly as 999 did in the end. I'm only about 7 hours in to VLR, and I've gotten Phi's bad ending and about halfway down the path to the true ending. It shouldn't have been this easy to find the true ending path. I wasn't checking a guide or anything. And I don't even think it's that much of a mystery what's going to happen. In 999, your mind is totally blown when you get the Safe Ending, and then it's blown again when you get the true ending. My mind hasn't been blown at all yet in VLR, and I'm already pretty sure I know what the big twist at the end is going to be.

The puzzles are the only thing that I think are better in VLR. So far they've been a bit harder, and I'm glad I'm mathematically inclined because they take a bit more work to figure out. So far I've gotten all the gold files and escapes without checking a guide, so I feel like they're just about right, but I can see how they would be too difficult for some. The hardest one for me so far was the one with the multi-colored rainbow branch, but I still managed to get it.

AniHawk

vlr is a weaker game, but i wouldn't comment on all of it being bullshit at this point. you're still roughly 30 hours away from the true ending and there's a lot to reveal.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Stick with it, I was kinda meh on the game until I got my first ending about 3-4 hours in. The moment it happened completely altered my perception of the game and I immediately started up anew to go for another one.

Brutal shit that just comes out of left field. Still have yet to see the 'true end' though.

Edit: NM seems you are already long ahead of me. Just came into this thread and catching up on last few pages.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oh and quick question about VLR. I hear the 3DS port has a weird bug that can bork progress. I really liked the stylus control of 999 and though I do have a Vita, I am torn on which version to get when I finish 999 up. I am a fan of the 3D on 3DS too, but I fear that bug.

Just go with Vita? Is there any significant differences besides the obvious? Higher resolution art assets?

LX_Theo

Banned
Oh and quick question about VLR. I hear the 3DS port has a weird bug that can bork progress. I really liked the stylus control of 999 and though I do have a Vita, I am torn on which version to get when I finish 999 up. I am a fan of the 3D on 3DS too, but I fear that bug.

Just go with Vita? Is there any significant differences besides the obvious? Higher resolution art assets?

Only real upside the 3DS version has is that its easier to take notes with the stylus.

Oh, how convenient. I've just started this game.

Up to the second escape segment so far.

Decision making is gonna break me. I CAN'T HANDLE ANIME BLOOD ON MY HANDS

also kind of them to ease you into the deaths with an asshole 'cause hearing that sort of description about a character you liked probably isn't going to be very pleasant

Anyways, I'm certainly intrigued so far. Worried that I'm gonna fuck up in making decisions, but intrigued. Hoping that doing replays for additional endings isn't a huge pain in the ass because I'd really like to get all of them.

I played it on 3DS. It's not a big deal as long as you follow one simple rule: Do not save in puzzle rooms.

That's it! If you need to pause during puzzle segments just close the 3DS to put it into sleep mode, then reopen to resume playing. Easy peasy. I enjoyed viewing the 3D as well, I thought it worked quite nicely. Enjoy!

LX_Theo

Banned
So far I have to agree that 999 is better. Just certain things about VLR rub me the wrong way. I think Zero III is a fucking dumbass, for starters. He just annoys the shit out of me. It's probably intentional, but either way they decided to go from serious to like a total joke. I can't take any of the shit in VLR seriously, it's all so completely ridiculous that I feel totally detached from all of the characters.

What made 999 good was the sense of impending doom and how brutal and shocking it was. They took every single ounce of that away in VLR. Instead of blowing up and leaving your blood spattered all over the walls, now you just sleep forever. Seriously? How lame is that. And then there's shit like people with actual superpowers.

I also think the overarching plot in VLR is weaker, and doesn't tie together as brilliantly as 999 did in the end. I'm only about 7 hours in to VLR, and I've gotten Phi's bad ending and about halfway down the path to the true ending. It shouldn't have been this easy to find the true ending path. I wasn't checking a guide or anything. And I don't even think it's that much of a mystery what's going to happen. In 999, your mind is totally blown when you get the Safe Ending, and then it's blown again when you get the true ending. My mind hasn't been blown at all yet in VLR, and I'm already pretty sure I know what the big twist at the end is going to be.

The puzzles are the only thing that I think are better in VLR. So far they've been a bit harder, and I'm glad I'm mathematically inclined because they take a bit more work to figure out. So far I've gotten all the gold files and escapes without checking a guide, so I feel like they're just about right, but I can see how they would be too difficult for some. The hardest one for me so far was the one with the multi-colored rainbow branch, but I still managed to get it.

I'm curious what you think the big twist is going to be (or thought, since that post was a while ago). Because VLR does a great job at mind-blowing plot twists.

Be it a replacement or just a new ending tacked on, it's as pitifully tame as VLR was in general.

Yup, that's a shame. You get the feeling that the author is really constrained in VLR, having to hold back on the details he wants to get into, and it feels off coming from 999.

I'm curious what you think the big twist is going to be (or thought, since that post was a while ago). Because VLR does a great job at mind-blowing plot twists.

I think it's going to be that
sigma and phi are the same person
. And I only get to play about a half hour / day, while I'm on the bus on the way to work, so I'm progressing pretty slowly and I could still be wrong. Still, I'm almost feeling it a chore to get through this game. With how amazing 999 was I'm already extremely disappointed and I'm about 13 hours in. I hate the constant jumping around between paths. I get to a lock, then jump to another path to clear the lock, then I forget what's going on in the original path. And if you don't do everything in the right order, going down path A will then be a spoiler for when you do path B later, you already know what's going to happen.

Other times, I'm annoyed by how goddamn stupid the characters are. Like when they get the
key for K's head
. How freaking long does it take before anyone says "oh hey, I bet I know what that's for." It couldn't be any more obvious!

So far I've cleared much of what I guess to be the true ending path (it was the first path I went down), but didn't want to spoil too much of othe other paths so I switched and got to the point where you have to enter a password in the Director's Room. I'm guessing that password comes from another path, so I have to jump yet again and leave all this shit hanging, so when I get back to it it'll be 3 weeks from now and I'll have no idea what's going on.

I liked 999 much better, because it plays more like a novel. You always know what's going on and the story ties together much more cohesively as a result.

Korigama

Yup, that's a shame. You get the feeling that the author is really constrained in VLR, having to hold back on the details he wants to get into, and it feels off coming from 999.
Indeed. It's the sort of thing that leads me to believe that ZE3 will be more of the same, should we even get it that is.
I did some reading around and it looks like it's a new ending, not a replacement.
Yeah, you're right. A new ending for going through door 3, IIRC (rather than just being led automatically to door 2 and the
sub
ending).

So I have bi eaten this game three times now and got nothing but bad ends:
the mysterious person kills me with a knife after finding Lotus dead, betrayal axe to the face by Clover, and last second submarine kill by mysterious person.
I can't imagine too many things I can do different. I thought the game determines your ending by the order of the doors you chose?

So I have bi eaten this game three times now and got nothing but bad ends:
the mysterious person kills me with a knife after finding Lotus dead, betrayal axe to the face by Clover, and last second submarine kill by mysterious person.
I can't imagine too many things I can do different. I thought the game determines your ending by the order of the doors you chose?

Keep playing, and be sure to take different doors.

But considering the number of endings you've gotten already, don't feel too bad if you use a spoiler-free walkthrough: http://www.dodaj.rs/f/1R/pw/1wlvs4xv/owyrz.png

cereal_killerxx

First playthrough and I got the safe ending. Man, it was so good!... but it left me with many questions. If I jump straight to the True ending next, will most of my questions be answered or should I play through every single ending?

First playthrough and I got the safe ending. Man, it was so good!... but it left me with many questions. If I jump straight to the True ending next, will most of my questions be answered or should I play through every single ending?

I really recommend doing some of the other endings before going to True. There's a reason but I can't say without spoiling it. I suggest doing at least 1 or 2 of the others.

cereal_killerxx

Just beat Knife and Submarine. Knife was extremely short but had a few new tidbits. Submarine was pretty awesome and shed some light on a few more characters and established some more connections. Just two left to go!

Top Bottom