• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Dance with Dragons |OT| - Read the rules or Melisandre casts magic missile

yacobod

Banned
ultron87 said:
Seems like there are some definite pacing issues at the start.

I really didn't need (Tyrion II)
a whole chapter of Tyrion riding in a cart with Illyrio.

I'm glad I'm not rushing through this.

Ya it seem like GURM went out of his way to meet the book's quota for food descriptions in Tyrion's first 2 chapters.

Rocwell

yacobod said:
Well I had no idea some people enjoyed the pointless travelogue that was Brienne's chapters. She's just a fool on a fool's task, especially since you know Sansa is stowed away in the Eerie. And she's just as bloody stupid and honorable as Ned was.
This is exactly why I like her as a character lol. What can I say? I have a soft spot for naive characters who would follow their moral compass off a cliff.

You're not wrong about the fool's errand bit and I can see why it might irritate some when characters like Tyrion are MIA but I'm convinced that something great is going to come from the Brienne arc. Or GRRM will kill her off and then you'll be happy. I probably won't mind either since she'll likely die the glorious death of a noble fool.

Did you know that when you reply to someone's post the text between their spoiler tags is not blacked out? I think this is something I'll try to be more aware of in the future heh.

Azrael said:
I am speechless after reading Bran's second chapter. I am 18% through the Kindle edition, and if Dance ended now, it would already be a better book than Feast.
This crap needs to stop. Feast is fantastic.

Though I will admit that ADWD starts off really strong (albeit a bit slow).

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
after now catching up with the series I am now amazed that book readers were shocked that HBO would show (not a spoiler from the new book)
Renly and Loras as lovers, the books hit you over the head with that a number of times.

HarryHengst said:
Brienne's chapters in Feast are better than Tyrions and Dany's in Dance. It is known.

If it wasn't for those Crackclaw point chapters, maybe that could be possible. But everything Brienne does before meeting Maribald is so pointless.

q_q said:
So uh...(End of book spoilers)
Ramsay's letter was bullshit right? Right?
Complete book spoilers.
It's as real as the death of Davos and Brienne, and Arya's blindness. Martin didn't have the Iron Banker, Theon, and Fake Arya meet up with Asha and Stannis so they could lose a battle or die off-screen.

q_q

Basileus777 said:
Complete book spoilers.
It's a real as the death of Davos and Brienne, and Arya's blindness. Martin didn't have the Iron Banker, Theon, and Fake Arya meet up with Asha and Stannis so they could lose a battle or die off-screen.
End of book
That's what I was thinking, I just needed some reassurance. And there's no way Jon's dead, that one was way too easy to see through.

besada

Banned
I was pleased to see an ornate description of food within the first few chapters. It warmed my heart, and made me wonder if you could still buy lark's tongue somewhere. I imagined a bright yellow can full of lark's tongues in jelly.

Not done yet, but enjoying it.

JerkShep

I'm almost 300 pages in and I'm loving the Northern POVs. Especially
Bran and Davos, but even Theon is good so far
I like Jon a lot to but he is a little too emo for me, always has been really. He has reason to complain, ok, but I always cringe when he mentions
his fucking burned hand, come on it was 3 books ago and it was really not a big deal. I would like to see him after a Reek-treatement :D. Does the poor hand still hurts, Jonny?

JerkShep said:
I'm almost 300 pages in and I'm loving the Northern POVs. Especially
Bran and Davos, but even Theon is good so far
I like Jon a lot to but he is a little too emo for me, always has been really. He has reason to complain, ok, but I always cringe when he mentions
his fucking burned hand, come on it was 3 books ago and it was really not a big deal. I would like to see him after a Reek-treatement :D. Does the poor hand still hurts, Jonny?

I feel much the same (around the same point you're at), but I'm enjoying Jon's chapters more than in the past. He's still not a favorite of mind, but between interacting with more interesting characters and (Jon II)
beheading Slynt
, I'm not finding 'Jon' being written in bold to be a sign that I should take a break from reading like I did in the past.

Fjordson

Tyrion's chapters are awesome. I love everything in the free cities so far (Dany, Tyrion and uh, other POV's). My favourite story threads at the moment are in the North, though. Bran and Jon's chapters are stunningly good.

Amir0x

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
This crap needs to stop. Feast is fantastic.

Though I will admit that ADWD starts off really strong (albeit a bit slow).
Feast is fantastic. Some of Martin's best writing.

People just wanted more insane crazy plot twists after Storm and, perhaps understandably, were miffed at all the missing character perspectives.

But as a book it was great and a very worthy edition to the series.

Man this book is getting insanely good now. Fierce even

Fjordson said:
Bran and Jon's chapters are stunningly good.

Remarkably Bran's chapters are some of the most fascinating of all, and he was never a character I was all that into. Huge turn around in quality imo

ADWD is probably my least favorite book in the series (please don't take this to mean I think it's bad, just not as super awesome). I would go

sos > got > ffc > cok > dwd

Mostly in terms of how much they hit me the first time I read them.

Azrael

HarryHengst said:
Brienne's chapters in Feast are better than Tyrions and Dany's in Dance. It is known.

At this point, having read through Davos' third chapter, Dany's chapters are my least favorite, and Tyrion's second chapter should have been left on the editing-room floor, but Tyrion's other chapters have been far more entertaining than Brienne's chapters in Feast. Tyrion's fifth chapter in particular is up there with the prologue and Bran's as the best in the book thus far.

Elhandro

Fuck everyone in this thread.....Its only been a day but I feel late to the party.

This weekend is done, I will be doing nothing but catching up.....enjoy

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
While I burned through the book thus far today and tomorrow my reading has slowed to a crawl. Too much shit to do. Friday after class I'm going to Panera for lunch and parking my ass with my book and not moving until I go to work.

Well, I guess I was partially right on a theory. (Davos IV/Page 394)
I knew, as I think pretty much anyone could have guessed from Feast, that Manderly had killed some random dude, stuck an onion in his mouth, and hacked some fingers off. The way that story was told (and that it was in a Cersei chapter) made it pretty obvious. But I also expected that he had Osha and Rickon with him, and Davos would be the one to find out about that. Instead, he just knows where they are and Davos is off to save them. It's still along the same lines, though, and I must say that Wex was pretty much the last character I expected to turn up again.

Things have really been heating up for the past hundred or so pages. I've been enjoying pretty much every page so far, and it looks like things are only going to escalate more.

HarryHengst said:

Ugh, I hate this. But you're right. I've never liked Dany or her chapters (I do like TV Dany better), but I'm about halfway through the book and I have a bad idea where things are going. I'm hating Dany chapters more than I ever have before, and the greatest crime so far, I'm not looking forward to Tyrion chapters.

Amir0x said:
Remarkably Bran's chapters are some of the most fascinating of all, and he was never a character I was all that into. Huge turn around in quality imo

For the first time in series history Bran chapters are some of my favorites. So far I really like him and Jon.

Book Speculation: I don't know what's going to happen but the following paragraph is pure speculation on my part so I'm going to spoiler tag it anyway. <Speculation involving material up to page 500.>

Jon is doomed. I thought he was safe before the book came out, but the prologue changed my mind. The emphasis on wargs living through other animals and Varamyr thoughts of Jon being a powerful warg but not trained led me to this. Plus Jon's connection to Ghost's sense has been mention constantly. This is followed by the fact that for some reason Jon sends every one allies away from him. He sent Pyp and Grenn away, now he's sending Edd away. Dude is fucked. I don't think he'll "die" at worst he'll end up as part of Ghost. But still, this series feels like it's going more Dany bent and I don't like that. Hope I'm wrong, because mainly his chapters are all that are keeping going through this book.

Going by what I've read so far, this and AFFC should have been one book, or he should have juist stuck with the five year gap.

Dresden

Up to about page 300, and it's been a pretty tedious read. I was set on reading only 150 pages a day to eke it out, but sadly I'm finding that putting the book down is all too easy. Hope it gets better, shit seems to be hitting the fan.

Dresden said:
Up to about page 300, and it's been a pretty tedious read. I was set on reading only 150 pages a day to eke it out, but sadly I'm finding that putting the book down is all too easy. Hope it gets better, shit seems to be hitting the fan.

I'm about 200 pages ahead of you. Some parts do get better and a lot more interesting, other parts languish though. But you're right, I have a much easier time putting this book down than any other book in the series on a first read. When I read AFFC I only put it down to work or sleep. With this book, I just get tired of it, especially when I see certain names appear at the top of a new chapter.

edit: what's with all the fucking elephants?

I just passed the hundred page mark. Finished Jon II. Loving the book so far. Still going to continue taking it nice and slow. I'm a very slow reader anyway though.

I've been reading 200 pages/day and find myself getting more and more intrigued as the chapters go on. I even like what's going on with Dany and Tyrion, and all the revelations they've had.

I am eating this book up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:

Honestly, I always dreaded Bran's chapters post-fall. I never found them very interesting, but the first two I've read in Dance have been great!

Fjordson

Dresden said:
Damn, I had just about the complete opposite feeling after 300 pages. So good so far.

Fjordson

ZephyrFate said:
It's AFFC all over again.
Haha. Yeah, maybe.

I just love all of the increased attention and insight we're getting on Essos and the Free Cities. I feel like Martin is delving deeper into that continent than ever before.

Azrael

I made it to around the 30% mark before putting the book down for another night, finishing the fourth Dany chapter.
I would like Dany's chapters more if she wasn't lusting after Daario constantly. I don't buy for a second that Dany would have the vapors for this gold-toothed, purple-haired clown, and it's so obvious he's a traitor it makes me want to scream.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
page 236/Kindle 23%/Tyrion III or IV
This guided tour down the Rhoyne is starting to bore me a little. Tyrion's chapters have surprisingly been the weak point for me thus far.

edit: Shit, I spoke too soon!

This just became a bit awesome.

278673_10150707720030626_650850625_19721722_7605032_o.jpg

Anything sweeter? :)

Hmm.. I think I'll have to read through twice before I have an opinion lol. Am about 350 pages in to my first read. Stupid lack of free time :(

Fjordson

This is a pretty minor thing, but I'm interested in why my cover doesn't have any quotes or anything on the bottom. It's only "A Dance With Dragons" (picture). I kinda like it clean like that.

Fjordson said:
This is a pretty minor thing, but I'm interested in why my cover doesn't have any quotes or anything on the bottom. It's only "A Dance With Dragons" (picture). I kinda like it clean like that.

It's probably from a different region/publisher.

Gambit

OttomanScribe said:
Anything sweeter? :)

Hmm.. I think I'll have to read through twice before I have an opinion lol. Am about 350 pages in to my first read. Stupid lack of free time :(

Does the coffee foam show a heart for anyone else? Or is it just my subconsciousness "hearting" the book?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fjordson said:

That's the same one I got. Ordered from Amazon US.

The Times is a UK publication, but Ottoman's shopping bag indicates that he is in Australia. Maybe The Times is sold in Australia, too? Or perhaps, like many things, the UK version of the book is simply being sold there?

Fjordson

Zefah said:

The Times is a UK publication, but Ottoman's shopping bag indicates that he is in Australia. Maybe The Times is sold in Australia, too? Or perhaps, like many things, the UK version is simply being sold there?
Ah yeah, good catch on the bag. I just foolishly assumed that was a US copy.

And yeah, mine was from Amazon US as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Having not read any of this thread, I'm just chiming in and saying I'm about to start this series for the first time. Hooray for me.

Zefah said:

The Times is a UK publication, but Ottoman's shopping bag indicates that he is in Australia. Maybe The Times is sold in Australia, too? Or perhaps, like many things, the UK version of the book is simply being sold there?
Observant :) I believe this is the case.

Fun-fact, I bought the book from the same store (where the bag is from) that I bought all the other books. This was some time ago (just after the release of aCoK I think) :)

Galaxy Books in Sydney, a dedicated fantasy/sci fi bookstore, they are win.

ah live and learn. Not a coffee drinker myself, so I had no clue that existed. I still like my theory, though
I think it is a little of both.. and a little of the waitress.

Top Bottom