• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A momentary break from SPIDER-MANIA for my spoilin' review of HARRY FRICKIN' POTTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Hey, folks.

Once again, a Potter film lands in theatres and I march out with the family to see if this installment is any better than the previous ones. I refuse to get caught into its pagebook form and all the nonsense that surrounds it. And as so, I can actually view the film adaptations without whispering over my neighbor's shoulder about how so-and-so is not doing what-and-what as according to the text. Unlike some who go to movie theatres to debate the merits of the book rather than watch the goddamn movie.

The first two helmed by Christopher Columbus were snoozefests of epic proportions (although the second film was a little bit better with the only interesting character being Kenneth Branagh's). I believe it was Mandark who said that Potter himself was an uninteresting character with the phrase, "I'm generic looking and know magic! Love me!" That's kind of how I feel about Harold Potter. My gripe, along with the fact that he's famous and rich and did jack shit the first two movies to prove that he deserves it, is that he doesn't fight anything evil.

In the first movie he fought some teacher with a talking cancer growth on the back of his head. And that wasn't until the last ten minutes! The second movie he fights a diary and a giant snake. I'm supposed to root for this character? There's no great evil he must overcome, nor is he any form of life-threatening danger that he can't easily overcome from the audience's standpoint.

The one, main bad guy in the entire fuckin' series hasn't even shown his face and we're three movies into this damned franchise already. He's a giant cocktease. It'd be like watching all the Star Wars movies with Luke, Leia and Han telling us all this shit about how big and bad Darth Vader is, building him up as this evil of epic proportions, but we never see him.

It's the same problem with the third film. About three-quarters into the film we already know the "bad guy" in this one isn't actually bad, and that's if you couldn't figure it out earlier. What we're left with is Harry Potter Goes Back to the Future and by that point, I really don't care. What's he fighting? Nothing. But he's trying to save Gary Oldman and that's supposed to warm my heart or something. Bite it, J.K. Rowling.

The new director whose name is so not American and thus, I can't recall it at this point, is one billion times better than Columbus. He actually succeeded in keeping my attention for a good part of the film and - damn! - everything from a technical standpoint seemed improved under his watch.

The visuals. The music. The acting. The CG. Everything.

It's a vast improvement over the other two. I loved the whole look of the film, which was a lot darker than the kiddy magic playground shit Columbus pumped in the first two flicks. It's still a shame that the new director still doesn't have a legitimate bad guy to pit Harry & Co. against unless somehow TIME ITSELF is now considered an antagonist.

I was told by my Potter-enlightened sibiling that the bad guy whose name I cannot spell will be in the next movie. Thank-fucking-God. For such a badass that gets in Harry's shit every year, but never shows up for some mano y mano duel, he's come off cowardly asshole so far. If they were to get a good villain and keep the same director, which unfortunately they are not, I'd be even more onboard.

As is, this is potential wasted, but is more entertaining than the first two films. As always, these Potter flicks are never bad, but are far from memorable and there are far worse things you could end up seeing. It's just kind of sad that the biggest thing in fantasy literature can't conjure up something a bit more interesting.

White Man

It's just kind of sad that the biggest thing in fantasy literature can't conjure up something a bit more interesting.

I certainly wouldn't blame the source material. They're not near perfect adaptations, but they do a fine job of giving you the Cliffs Notes version of the story. At the expense of giving a decent version of the stories, a lot of the characters' charm is left out. Believe me, Rowling spins a good yarn. I could see your frustration at not seeing the Big Bad in the first three films, but in the books, the build-up and tension pays off hugely when You Know Who does make an appearance.

It's a shame that books 4 and 5 are basically unfilmable in their current form. I guess in today's market, it is feasible that they could be split into two movies, but it would be rather difficult considering the way the books slowly build up.

Willco

Hollywood Square
White Man said:
It's a shame that books 4 and 5 are basically unfilmable in their current form. I guess in today's market, it is feasible that they could be split into two movies, but it would be rather difficult considering the way the books slowly build up.

Warner Bros. apparently disagrees with you. Mike Newell is filming the fourth one (that's Goblet, right?) as we speak. And it's not being split. I guess that's a bit weird after I saw how thick that book was.

I've not read the books, so it has been interesting asking people what the meanings behind many of the things in the movie were (
such as Harry looking like a glowing deer when he saves himself in the past
).

Willco

Hollywood Square
Yeah, apparently there's all kinds of stuff that's cut out of the source material completely. Heh, my sister afterwards was like, "DON'T YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW SIRRIUS BLACK ESCAPED?" ... Not really. I can just kind of assume that's he's a crafty guy or something.

I just hope as the more Potter flicks go by that it doesn't get to the point where I have to read the book to enjoy the movie. Lord of the Rings was a good trilogy on its own merits and I'd hope Warner Bros. would learn the same lesson.

White Man

Book 4 does have a lot of fluff in it, but there's usually an extremely important clue or two hidden inside, which makes it difficult to cut bits.

The first 3 books are fairly fast paced. 4 and 5 have more leisurely paces, a la, say, Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray.

I love the books. I'm just afraid that she's going to flub the ending, which would cheapen the rest of the series, which has been excellent so far.

Concerning thematic darkness in the third movie: The third book is unanimously where the series takes a turn for the dark. There were dark bits in the first two books, but it starts getting laid on thick in book 3.

Damnit, I wish I could've brought my Potter books with me when I moved. I got a hankerin' now.

EDIT:
I just hope as the more Potter flicks go by that it doesn't get to the point where I have to read the book to enjoy the movie.

This is what worries me about the next movie. I've heard there were a lot of semi-big cuts for this movie, and book 4 is like twice as long. With Goblet of Fire being a single 2-3 hour movie, I don't see how it could do the book justice.

MoccaJava

Banned
I just hope as the more Potter flicks go by that it doesn't get to the point where I have to read the book to enjoy the movie.

I just don't understand why someone can't find a few hours of their week to plop down, and read the first three books. At least *see* if you don't like them. You are almost guaranteed to appreciate the movies so much more, and probably become a fan of the books. What's so wrong with it?

olimario

Banned
The 4th isn't going to be easy to cut down. There really is so much of it I want to see. I'll bet it goes something like this

Riddle House
Quidditch World Cup
Meet the other schools
Harry and Diggory both get chosen
Event 1
Event 2
Hagrid falls in love
Hermione fucks Krum
Event 3
Diggory Dies
Harry sees his parents come out of vdmorts wang
Real mad eye revealed. Barty Jr Sucks
The end

Willco

Hollywood Square
MoccaJava said:
I just don't understand why someone can't find a few hours of their week to plop down, and read the first three books. At least *see* if you don't like them. You are almost guaranteed to appreciate the movies so much more, and probably become a fan of the books. What's so wrong with it?

Because I really don't read any fictional literature anymore. And I don't have a few hours of my week to waste on something I DON'T WANT TO DO.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I pretty much agree with Wilcos opinion, though id say it is already at the stage where you cant enjoy the films without reading the books, people had to explain loads of stuff to me after i saw this one, and even after i knew i didnt really think much of it.

Mind you the first two parts of LOTR were the same for me (i tried to read it, but i found it so fucking dull reading 3 pages of descriptions to get to 1 line of dialog that i gave up) The Fellowship especially was complete nonsense to me. Pretty sure i only liked ROTK because it looked so cool aswell. The Extended editions are much much better though, they make much more sense.

I did try to read the Potter books aswell, but im quite a fussy reader and i found them a bit childish (obviously they are aimed at children), but i couldnt really get into them because of it.

olimario said:
Quidditch World Cup

Having not read the fourth book (well any of them for that matter) I couldn't resist but highlight the spoilers, and man, that particular one sounds awesome! I'd love to see how that translates to the big screen.

ElyrionX

Prisoner of Azkaban felt SOOOO rushed in the the cinema. Considering the fact that the Goblet of Fire is very much longer than the Prisoner of Azkaban, I don't see how the film will ever do justice to the book if there's only going to be one part.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I liked Prisoner of Azkaban very much. I have read the books, but honestly I didn't think the movie suffered any as compared to the book. There is absolutely no way any of the movies can get EVERYTHING in. Unless you accept that, as a fan of the books you're bound to be disappointed, especially as the next two books are much longer.

If that's the way you feel, then I'd plan on just not going to the next movies -- at least then the rest of us will be spared all the angst that this, that or the other scene didn't make the cut. ;)

M3Freak

Banned
Ya, it did feel rushed. I also didn't like the fact that for the first hour to hour and a half, the scenes were disconnected. They movie didn't "flow" and the jumping around was making me feel weird. It made the movie feel even more rushed; kind of like huge chunks were just cut and scenes just slapped together.

Another problem: 13? My ass! These guys are easily two to three years older in the film, which makes them look completely out of place. The books get darker and more foreboding as they get older, but they'll be in their 20's by the time the series hits movie number 5.

Overall: 7/10

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
M3Freak said:
Another problem: 13? My ass! These guys are easily two to three years older in the film, which makes them look completely out of place. The books get darker and more foreboding as they get older, but they'll be in their 20's by the time the series hits movie number 5.

Actually Daniel Radcliffe (Harry) will turn 15 next month. Emma Watson (Hermione) turned 14 in April, and Rupert Grint (Ron) turns 16 in August. Assuming they dive right into Order of the Phoenix after Goblet of Fire comes out in November 2005, the kids'll probably be 18 - 19. They'll be fine. Besides, didn't you ever watch Saved By The Bell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom