• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A promising poker game (Xbox/ps2/psp/pc)

thorns

Banned
psp killer app?

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1098/STACKED-with-Daniel-Negreanu/p1/

Thrilled with the development of machine learning as it applies to game theory, and fueled by the recent defeat of Chess Grand Master Kasparov at the hands of IBM’s Deep Blue computer, the University of Alberta’s GAMES team developed a checker-playing madman, er CPU. The CPU was basically unbeatable against the best human checker players in the world and won the World Championship some years back. GAMES was also intent on building a competent poker playing model, which eventually ended up being known as Poki; a named derived from “poker”, and a play on the word “pokey” as in “slow poke”, as in how long it took the processors to crunch such a large amount of statistical data. The Poki technology is what fuels the A.I. in STACKED with Daniel Negreanu, thus creating a single-player environment which features bots which are non-deterministic, and which are constantly learning how you play. The PokiBot doesn’t forget either. It knows how you played the “Doyle Brunson” before, and will come back with the appropriate countermeasure. There are a total of eight bot systems in STACKED with Daniel Negreanu which all have a slightly different playing model. These bot systems will not only learn your playing tendencies but will also analyze bot-to-bot hands and react accordingly. The PokiBot, therefore is not only included in STACKED with Daniel Negreanu to make your matches more challenging but also to teach you completely synthetic strategies that have one goal in mind - winning, with no wavering due to fatigue, fear, or brain farts.

A computer model like Poki is brilliant. The more competitors that play against PokiBot to try and beat it, the more data the CPU has to crunch and learn more intricate human tendencies. But as we all know, computer are cold and insensitive, showing no emotion or signs of weakness. These human emotions, whether counterproductive to sound poker strategy or not, are what make televised poker championships so enjoyable to watch. The physical breaking of another player, the “Tilt” factor, and the “tell” are deeply rooted in mano y mano poker history, making it much more than a game of sheer odds. Besides, if STACKED with Daniel Negreanu was meant to be merely a learning tool for wanna-be final table players, it would be DOS-based, lifeless, and well, boring.

To simulate the excitement of the WPT or similar broadcast Hold ‘em poker events, STACKED with Daniel Negreanu has instituted numerous tricks of the trade. One important aspect of STACKED with Daniel Negreanu which makes it more exciting than similar e-poker titles is the manual look system. Since players will have to actually take a peek or look at their down cards (we’re assuming with one of the controller’s analog sticks), the opportunity for tells increases. There are also numerous tells worked into the character’s animations, which can send various signals to the competition, such as timid limps or aggressive all-in maneuvers; just as your would see on broadcast poker. You’ll also hear all of the chatter and intimidation talk that comes with high-stakes poker in STACKED with Daniel Negreanu. Real voices and dialogue from Negreanu plus six other pro players has been worked in, plus there’s the ability to chat through the Xbox Communicator for online matches which can feature up to nine human players per table. The online multi-table tournament concept in STACKED with Daniel Negreanu is the first ever on Xbox Live, and is sure to capture all of the excitement of a Vegas championship or a nationally-televised match. Mix in some “in your face” camera angles, a realistic hold cam, and digitally modeled pro players, and the broadcast quality of STACKED with Daniel Negreanu goes all in.

Seems quite promising with a lot of interesting features.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I know that the PSP has another Poker game coming out with Wi-Fi support. I don't think this was it though. If it is priced around 30 bucks, I will pick it up.

I would love to see an online poker game with micro transactions.

Does anyone think that the current online gambling scene could ever translate to the next gen consoles?

Spinning Plates said:
I would love to see an online poker game with micro transactions.

Does anyone think that the current online gambling scene could ever translate to the next gen consoles?

Forget the microtransactions; I'd settle for just bringing over the NLHE style.

I'm on the fence about Stacked. Can't tell (no pun intended) if this is hype or not.

The "numerous tells worked into the character’s animations" featured in WCP PS2 gets real tiresome. Nice to see Stacked offering a top-down no-animation option. I usually turn them off while playing WCP DS.

I still consider WCP DS the best poker game so far, thanks to stylus play and a variety of gameplay (i.e, something other than texas hold em). It's a good way to practice odds-making, too.

Top Bottom