• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
basically if he is able to finish Winds of Winter, his next move should be to immediately map out what is going to happen in the final book in detail. This way if he were to go, someone with a competent grasp of writing could finish it. I hope.

oh god i'm jinxing this shit so hard now

Chris R

basically if he is able to finish Winds of Winter, his next move should be to immediately map out what is going to happen in the final book in detail. This way if he were to go, someone with a competent grasp of writing could finish it. I hope.

oh god i'm jinxing this shit so hard now

That is if there is just one book left :p Well, would it be considered one book if we got a Part I and a Part II?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Just got to the part in the third book were Robb and Catlyn get killed, I was so fucking angry I almost threw the book across my room, I am literally sad about this development as I was hoping Robb would win. I am a Stark follower by heart and really am sad this happened. Now I don't know WTF is going to happen.

lol

This is exactly how I felt when I read that part. My heart was racing and it felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I raged for, like, an hour before I could continue on reading. And then came the Arya chapter and I thought she was dead too. Needless to say I didn't sleep at all that night.

Victarion

Just got to the part in the third book were Robb and Catlyn get killed, I was so fucking angry I almost threw the book across my room, I am literally sad about this development as I was hoping Robb would win. I am a Stark follower by heart and really am sad this happened. Now I don't know WTF is going to happen. I already know Bran becomes something other then himself though, and Arya becomes an assassin I think. But I just see no way the Starks are going to have their revenge and I am really sad that Bran doesn't stay as himself and supposedly becomes a tree? I really don't want any spoilers from the other books as I haven't read any of them yet, but I just hope the Starks come back, because as it is now the Lannisters need to pay badly.

Accept Jon Snow as your personal savior.

aceface

It would be hilarious is George became "executive producer" of the books and then someone else wrote them. They could each take a cut of the profits.

A scrapped 5 year gap, the "Mereenese Knot," changes in POVs and a ton of scrapped material, GRRM has been struggling with structural problems to his story for over a decade. Maybe you didn't notice it reading, but this isn't a question, he's talked about it at length over the years.

"What?" "Huh?" "Hm?" and "Hang On..." respectively.

If you're going to talk about these things in an educational manner, properly assuming I know nothing about them, some kind of link or at least explanation would be appropriate.

CassSept

"What?" "Huh?" "Hm?" and "Hang On..." respectively.

If you're going to talk about these things in an educational manner, properly assuming I know nothing about them, some kind of link or at least explanation would be appropriate.

- in the first draft of original ADWD there was supposed to be a 5 year gap between ASOS and ADWD. GRRM soon realised that he has to rely on flashbacks too much and indeed started writing AFFC to bridge the events. The book quickly became too big and hence the split

- I believe he had problems with timeline (which of the suitors arrives when and how) and then what to do with Mereen once Dany is taken away by Drogon. He fixed that by Barristan POV supposedly

- Barristan POV which he introduced very very late into the process of writing the book (2009 I believe?). Quentyn is basically believed to be leftover from before that event

- look at the gap between the books. GRRM started writing a book and like halfway through decided to scrap it altogether, then again, again, introducing more plotlines, more povs, scrapping all the material again because he thought it doesn't work (that's mostly tied to Mereenese Knot), finally moving 200 pages and Battles of Ice and Fire (Qarth and Winterfell) which were supposed to be the climax of AFFC/ADWD to TWOW and leaving the plot hanging without completing certain arcs

I may be twisting facts as I've only finished ADWD last week, but I believe it's more or less like that. Basically, his work on AFFC/ADWD was an absolute mess.

- in the first draft of original ADWD there was supposed to be a 5 year gap between ASOS and ADWD. GRRM soon realised that he has to rely on flashbacks too much and indeed started writing AFFC to bridge the events. The book quickly became too big and hence the split

- I believe he had problems with timeline (which of the suitors arrives when and how) and then what to do with Mereen once Dany is taken away by Drogon. He fixed that by Barristan POV supposedly

- Barristan POV which he introduced very very late into the process of writing the book (2009 I believe?). Quentyn is basically believed to be leftover from before that event

- look at the gap between the books. GRRM started writing a book and like halfway through decided to scrap it altogether, then again, again, introducing more plotlines, more povs, scrapping all the material again because he thought it doesn't work (that's mostly tied to Mereenese Knot), finally moving 200 pages and Battles of Ice and Fire (Qarth and Winterfell) which were supposed to be the climax of AFFC/ADWD to TWOW and leaving the plot hanging without completing certain arcs

I may be twisting facts as I've only finished ADWD last week, but I believe it's more or less like that. Basically, his work on AFFC/ADWD was an absolute mess.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
perhaps one day he will go back and edit AFFC/ADWD into better books.

I had hoped Robert Jordan would do something similar with WOT but then he died.

Let me describe how awful Wild Cards is. In the first Wild Cards novel, there is a short story where a loner geek out of touch with 60s culture does acid and for a brief moment gains super powers. The Super Power? Being a SUPER HIPPIE or something. Seriously.

Fuck this Wild Cards crap.

Yeah. It's the writers writing about their RPG characters. It really *can't* be good.

One of the other characters is the epitome of a min-maxer, the Turtle.

I read this stuff 25 years ago and thought it was kinda bad. I wondered if I should revisit, but you've reminded me not to.

Tonight's ep was great, but reminded me of how trivial Martin plays around with cliff hangers, mainly ones that supposedly kill off characters. The first one of the series is in ACOK with Bran, and the following books increase that number. Of course in ADWD we had Asha's fake out, and the big Jon ruse. It's probably my least favorite thing about the series. Outside of Ned, Robb, and Catelyn, one could argue that Martin doesn't kill nearly as many characters as advertised; you could say he brings more back than kills off.

tumblr_m3zsbmXr7Z1r9h4heo1_500.jpg

Worth it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Catelyn hasn't had a new POV chapter
yet

A Catelyn chapter with the Brotherhood Without Banners HHHUUURGH

also, it kind of sucks not having anymore of this to read. Since roughly February, reading some ASOIAF has been part of my nightly ritual.

yet

also, it kind of sucks not having anymore of this to read. Since roughly February, reading some ASOIAF has been part of my nightly ritual.

Same here. I recommend The Sisters Brothers. The perfect change of pace.

gutshot

yet

Read the Dunk & Egg stories, if you haven't already. They are fantastic.

The episode that Grum wrote for season 3

What the hell could it be about?

I was hoping his season 3 episode would be entitled The Rains of Castamere. But hey, if it's episode 307, two thirds of the way through the season, that might be it, I guess.

Then again, if SoS is being split into two seasons, I guess that will happen in season 4, actually.

Seriously, every scene with Robb, her and Roose just kinda hanging out there was amazing. As a book reader, am I just super sensitive to this, or are non-book readers picking up on anything with Roose/Robb?

I doubt it.

I was hoping his season 3 episode would be entitled The Rains of Castamere. But hey, if it's episode 307, two thirds of the way through the season, that might be it, I guess.

Then again, if SoS is being split into two seasons, I guess that will happen in season 4, actually.

If RW is in season 3, I think it's pretty safe to assume that it will be episode 9 or 10 in the season. I would assume that Martin would write that episode, so maybe it doesn't happen until season 4. I wonder what takes place in episode 7, and why he choose to write that one.

I doubt it.

If RW is in season 3, I think it's pretty safe to assume that it will be episode 9 or 10 in the season. I would assume that Martin would write that episode, so maybe it doesn't happen until season 4. I wonder what takes place in episode 7, and why he choose to write that one.

Many people seem to pick up on the tensions among Robb and his commanders, and that should magnify next week. I'm wondering whether Robb will be injured in that episode, and "Talisa" will fix him up. Or perhaps Talisa will be revealed to be the daughter of the Crag's lord

Chris R

Many people seem to pick up on the tensions among Robb and his commanders, and that should magnify next week. I'm wondering whether Robb will be injured in that episode, and "Talisa" will fix him up. Or perhaps Talisa will be revealed to be the daughter of the Crag's lord

I think this is the case. Hence why she knew exactly what the Maestar would have and why she didn't want to go "home"

gutshot

I doubt it.

I don't think so. Martin has said the RW was one of the hardest things he has ever had to write, so I don't know if we wants to relive it. Plus David & Dan seem positively giddy about the chance to show that moment on-screen, so I'm gonna bet they will handle that episode.

kswiston

I don't think so. Martin has said the RW was one of the hardest things he has ever had to write, so I don't know if we wants to relive it. Plus David & Dan seem positively giddy about the chance to show that moment on-screen, so I'm gonna bet they will handle that episode.

GRRM already confirmed he is writing episode 7 of Season 3. If they are splitting book 3 into two seasons, I would imagine that S3Ep7 is a bit early for the red wedding.

apana

I prefer David and Dan as television writers but they are making too many changes. Especially in the case of Jon Snow, really hope they don't ruin his story. Wouldn't want to have the Red Wedding underway and then Ros saves Robb and Catelyn just in the nick of time while Doreah rides in on a dragon and burns the Freys alive.

I think people are picking up tensions, with Karstark being the obvious example from this week, but I don't think that non-book reader are looking as Roose and imagine that he is going to help plan and execute one of the most horrifying betrayals you could think of.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I would assume that D&D are writing that ep, I doubt they'd give an ep like that to Vanessa or Bryan.

gutshot

GRRM already confirmed he is writing episode 7 of Season 3. If they are splitting book 3 into two seasons, I would imagine that S3Ep7 is a bit early for the red wedding.

Right. My point is that just because GRRM's season 3 ep won't have the RW, that doesn't mean the RW won't be in S3. I still think they will have the RW in ep9 of S3.

kswiston

Right. My point is that just because GRRM's season 3 ep won't have the RW, that doesn't mean the RW won't be in S3. I still think they will have the RW in ep9 of S3.

It's been almost two years since I read Storm of Swords. What other major events occur before the red wedding?

- Jaime looses a hand
- Cat's father dies
- Arya meets Berric and Co, and is then captured by the Hound.
- Tyrion marries Sansa?
- Dany takes Asatpoor

Does Jon return to the Watch before then? Does Dany Take Meereen before then?

I agree that the red wedding would be a good ninth episode. Maybe even have Joffrey's death in episode 10. They would have less than half a book to cover in season 4, but there are more important moments to cover.

ZeroRay

Jon runs away from the wildlings making his way to the watch and Sam meets Coldhands.

If they do have the RW in ep 9, they can have Jon defending Castle Black in ep 10. If they do a 2 hour finale, they can also do Joffrey's wedding. Since I don't think they'll end the season on too much of a downer.

Gregorn

<3 Non-book readers thread.

The actor that portrays Jamie does it so incredibly awesome that its hard not to root for him. Along with King Joffrey he is the most despicable villain in the show, but you just want him to live.

Also im secretly hoping he'll turn awesome and good in the end, but im pretty sure thats not going to happen, not in this show.

Heeeheeeeheee

I don't like thinking about season 3 because I know it'll be torture watching scenes that were amazing in my head not being nearly as good in the show.

kswiston

<3 Non-book readers thread.

Heeeheeeeheee

I don't like thinking about season 3 because I know it'll be torture watching scenes that were amazing in my head not being nearly as good in the show.

The biggest letdown for me this season was everything leading up to Arya and Gendry's capture. I was expecting a sweet battle.

njean777

Accept Jon Snow as your personal savior.

I like Jon so far, although I have no clue what he is going to do about mance, but I also like Tyrion and Jamie, along with the rest of the Starks. I was just so pissed that he killed off Robb in such a treacherous way. If he would have died in battle I would have been more satisfied, but the way it was done is just so like WTF.

CassSept

After all, he didn't write episode 9 of S1 which was THE pivotal episode of the season. Just because he is writing episode 7 of the next season doesn't mean RW isn't in.

I'm amazed at how much of a villain they made Theon in the show. I remember hating him in ACOK, but this is incomparable to what TV crowd thinks of him. He never even nearly approached Joffrey level for me, but for those that only watch the series he seems pretty close. Hadn't thought he would be THAT hated.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
After all, he didn't write episode 9 of S1 which was THE pivotal episode of the season. Just because he is writing episode 7 of the next season doesn't mean RW isn't in.

I'm amazed at how much of a villain they made Theon in the show. I remember hating him in ACOK, but this is incomparable to what TV crowd thinks of him. He never even nearly approached Joffrey level for me, but for those that only watch the series he seems pretty close. Hadn't thought he would be THAT hated.

I hated Theon pretty much equally as the TV viewers do. He goes from essentially being a non-character to sort of a dick, and then quickly fucks everything up. He's such a despicable person it's really just amazing that I ended up feeling sorry for him later.

apana

The place for this whining is over here -> http://www.iswintercoming.com/

(Just found it the other day, can't believe it exists)

Wow this is strange. The whining about Linda is sort of justified considering what she has written. She's mad because Talisa said she is from Volantis but has brown skin? That really is nitpicking to the extreme, the racial politics of Volantis will never be covered in the show and I doubt Robb or any of the Northmen would have any clue about it. A few side characters with different skin tones or colors won't kill anyone and it won't destroy the plot. Not only that she complains about every little detail. Is this Linda the one who works with Elio or somebody else? To a certain extent I agree that David and Dan are changing too much around but I am mostly concerned about the main plot.

Tuck

Thanks a lot for this explanation. It sounds like he passed a hump. So hopefully the next book comes quicker. The last two sound like they had a lot of development trouble.

Thankfully, you can't really tell reading. Or at least, I can't. Feast was good, but slow, but I think that had to do with the way they split it. ADWD is so much better so far (300 pages in, don't really care about spoilers).

I think the quality of all the books is pretty high. I know GRRM has gotten some hate for Feast and Dance... is that because people think the quality of the story has dropped (Which I disagree with), or just because they took forever to come out and didn't answer many questions (More reasonable to me)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom